Hot!Chicken Fried Steak

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Author
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 907
  • Joined: 2006/02/13 15:21:00
  • Location: Detroit, MI
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/21 19:48:35 (permalink)
a long time ago I lived outside of Nashville ... used to get fantastic CFS with red-eye gravy; a gravy made with bacon fat and coffee along with other mysterious ingredients ... it was at a truckstop away from the interstate (also known for it's large, whole breaded catfish ... around $2 at the time). sigh.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18346
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/22 11:40:25 (permalink)
Redeye gravy with chicken fried steak? Strange!
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
  • Joined: 2002/07/13 13:32:00
  • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/25 16:35:07 (permalink)
I had a really good CFS in Sevierville, TN in the Alabama Cafe. It was as big as your head, flavorful and cripy outside & moist inside.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/25 17:04:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kenny da Fat Man

I had a really good CFS in Sevierville, TN in the Alabama Cafe. It was as big as your head, flavorful and cripy outside & moist inside.

As many times as I have been in Pigeon Forge, I have never tried the Alabama Cafe. Thanks for your comments. I will try it on my next trip there which averages about once a month.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
  • Joined: 2002/07/13 13:32:00
  • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 09:03:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Kenny da Fat Man

I had a really good CFS in Sevierville, TN in the Alabama Cafe. It was as big as your head, flavorful and cripy outside & moist inside.

As many times as I have been in Pigeon Forge, I have never tried the Alabama Cafe. Thanks for your comments. I will try it on my next trip there which averages about once a month.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


Paul take an asprin: it's loud (Alabama on the big screen).

Take a quick walk thru the tour bus, it's good hokey fun and it's a buck.

The Alabama Cafe is a novelty, but the food was pretty good and was't extremely expensive...good luck! A flashy slice of Americana.

Kenny DFM
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 10:08:54 (permalink)
Trivia time.

What is the difference between "Country Fried Steak" and "Chicken Fried Steak"?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 10:38:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Trivia time.

What is the difference between "Country Fried Steak" and "Chicken Fried Steak"?


I am not sure that this is the real difference but Mamaw Smith has been making country fried steak for years, at least that it what she calls it. She browns cubed steak covered in flour and spices and then after she browns it, she adds some water and onions and coverers it and slow cooks it in the oven for about four hours at about 275F. I do not know if that is the true definition but that is how she does it. Makes a super gravy that goes well with her real mashed potatoes and home made rolls.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 10:46:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Trivia time.

What is the difference between "Country Fried Steak" and "Chicken Fried Steak"?


I am not sure that this is the real difference but Mamaw Smith has been making country fried steak for years, at least that it what she calls it. She browns cubed steak covered in flour and spices and then after she browns it, she adds some water and onions and coverers it and slow cooks it in the oven for about four hours at about 275F. I do not know if that is the true definition but that is how she does it. Makes a super gravy that goes well with her real mashed potatoes and home made rolls.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!!!

I am not surprised that Paul knew this. The only thing I do differently is add a bit of sliced green bell peppers to the ingredients. IMO, I like this better than "Chicken" FS.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 10:57:49 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
  • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 11:30:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Trivia time.

What is the difference between "Country Fried Steak" and "Chicken Fried Steak"?


I am not sure that this is the real difference but Mamaw Smith has been making country fried steak for years, at least that it what she calls it. She browns cubed steak covered in flour and spices and then after she browns it, she adds some water and onions and coverers it and slow cooks it in the oven for about four hours at about 275F. I do not know if that is the true definition but that is how she does it. Makes a super gravy that goes well with her real mashed potatoes and home made rolls.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!!!

I am not surprised that Paul knew this. The only thing I do differently is add a bit of sliced green bell peppers to the ingredients. IMO, I like this better than "Chicken" FS.




So what is the difference between Chicken Fried Steak and Country Fried Steak? When I'm down south (The Carolina's, Tennessee etc) I see Country Fried Steak on the menu, but in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas it's always Chicken Fried Steak. What's the difference between the two?
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 12:01:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Trivia time.

What is the difference between "Country Fried Steak" and "Chicken Fried Steak"?


I am not sure that this is the real difference but Mamaw Smith has been making country fried steak for years, at least that it what she calls it. She browns cubed steak covered in flour and spices and then after she browns it, she adds some water and onions and coverers it and slow cooks it in the oven for about four hours at about 275F. I do not know if that is the true definition but that is how she does it. Makes a super gravy that goes well with her real mashed potatoes and home made rolls.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!!!

I am not surprised that Paul knew this. The only thing I do differently is add a bit of sliced green bell peppers to the ingredients. IMO, I like this better than "Chicken" FS.




So what is the difference between Chicken Fried Steak and Country Fried Steak? When I'm down south (The Carolina's, Tennessee etc) I see Country Fried Steak on the menu, but in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas it's always Chicken Fried Steak. What's the difference between the two?


The gravy. In Country FS, the seasoned, floured meat is sauteed with onions, spices, etc., and other liquids, and is then cooked over low heat until fork tender. Chicken FS, per se, is fried. Gravy added later. I have often heard that Chicken FS is a (Southern) adaptation of the traditional Weiner Schnitzel (pictured below). IMO, all are delicious. I just happen to like Country FS better. A must with all CFS is of course home made mashed tater's.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
  • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 12:07:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Trivia time.

What is the difference between "Country Fried Steak" and "Chicken Fried Steak"?


I am not sure that this is the real difference but Mamaw Smith has been making country fried steak for years, at least that it what she calls it. She browns cubed steak covered in flour and spices and then after she browns it, she adds some water and onions and coverers it and slow cooks it in the oven for about four hours at about 275F. I do not know if that is the true definition but that is how she does it. Makes a super gravy that goes well with her real mashed potatoes and home made rolls.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!!!

I am not surprised that Paul knew this. The only thing I do differently is add a bit of sliced green bell peppers to the ingredients. IMO, I like this better than "Chicken" FS.




So what is the difference between Chicken Fried Steak and Country Fried Steak? When I'm down south (The Carolina's, Tennessee etc) I see Country Fried Steak on the menu, but in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas it's always Chicken Fried Steak. What's the difference between the two?


The gravy. In Country FS, the meat is sauteed with onions, etc., and other liquids. Chicken FS, per se, is fried. Gravy added later. I have often heard that Chicken FS is a (Southern) adaptation of the traditional Weiner Schnitzel. IMO, all are delicious. I just happen to like Country FS better.




Ah-ha!

I'm going to have to try Country Fried Steak the next time I'm down south!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 12:11:59 (permalink)
Faint. Have I actually taught WJ something?

ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
  • Joined: 2003/08/06 14:12:00
  • Location: Port St Lucie, Fl
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 19:30:02 (permalink)
We went to the Alabama Grill in Sevierville today and had the CFS recommended above. It was very good and is touted on the menu as something like the "Texas one pounder". It was as big as a frisbee and though $14.99 is a little pricey we each brought over 1/2 of it home for another meal maybe two so that works out fairly cheap. It came with with mashed potatoes and country greenbeans.

Charlie
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
  • Joined: 2003/08/06 14:12:00
  • Location: Port St Lucie, Fl
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/26 19:39:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Trivia time.

What is the difference between "Country Fried Steak" and "Chicken Fried Steak"?


I am not sure that this is the real difference but Mamaw Smith has been making country fried steak for years, at least that it what she calls it. She browns cubed steak covered in flour and spices and then after she browns it, she adds some water and onions and coverers it and slow cooks it in the oven for about four hours at about 275F. I do not know if that is the true definition but that is how she does it. Makes a super gravy that goes well with her real mashed potatoes and home made rolls.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!!!

I am not surprised that Paul knew this. The only thing I do differently is add a bit of sliced green bell peppers to the ingredients. IMO, I like this better than "Chicken" FS.




I have always referred to the above as "Steak and Gravy" most of the meat and three places around here have that as a daily special at least once a week. I guess my version of country fried steak is a lot closer to chicken fried steak.

Charlie
Respect2Glory
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2005/11/07 01:59:00
  • Location: Celina, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/27 05:05:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ces1948

We went to the Alabama Grill in Sevierville today and had the CFS recommended above. It was very good and is touted on the menu as something like the "Texas one pounder". It was as big as a frisbee and though $14.99 is a little pricey we each brought over 1/2 of it home for another meal maybe two so that works out fairly cheap. It came with with mashed potatoes and country greenbeans.

Charlie


What are country greenbeans? (first thought) (appealing thought)
Respect2Glory
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2005/11/07 01:59:00
  • Location: Celina, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/27 05:32:27 (permalink)
In May we're spending a week in Florida with a 4HR layover in ATLANTA, GA. I choose the dinner-time layover to sneak in a Georgia meal (perhaps CFS!) and sight-see a little. I know that I have to plan this layover tightly! I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to review much of anything. (It was a 5 hr layover until airline changed the itinerary)

Also, I've found ocean front Condos that are cheaper than hotel rooms around West Palm Beach (starting at $300/wk). I'm not familiar with this area. We were stationed (Navy) in Jacksonville for 16 months, but we didn't get that far south.

Does anyone have any input (including CFS locations) they could share for our budgeted plans?
Thank you in advance!
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
  • Joined: 2003/08/06 14:12:00
  • Location: Port St Lucie, Fl
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/27 11:02:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Respect2Glory
It came with with mashed potatoes and country greenbeans.

Charlie


What are country greenbeans? (first thought) (appealing thought)


They are generally cooked with bacon or some sort of fat and they are cooked till they're very soft. I'm not real crazy about them but my wife is. Someone may have a better explanation then I do.

Charlie
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
  • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/02/27 11:21:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ces1948

quote:
Originally posted by Respect2Glory
It came with with mashed potatoes and country greenbeans.

Charlie


What are country greenbeans? (first thought) (appealing thought)


They are generally cooked with bacon or some sort of fat and they are cooked till they're very soft. I'm not real crazy about them but my wife is. Someone may have a better explanation then I do.

Charlie


Actually that is the only way our family has ever cooked them. Sometimes we add a onion and perhaps a small amount of garlic, salt and pepper. Always bacon or ham. Sometimes we add a small amount of sugar.

I have had green beans at other restaurants that were steamed lightly. They are edible for me but since I was sorta raised on "country" green beans, they remain my favorite.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
seeker_n
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2006/04/16 14:01:00
  • Location: Riverside, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/04/16 14:52:22 (permalink)
I have never heard them called Country Green Beans, but my mother made green beans that were hard to look at, but everyone (even the kids that didn't like green veggies) loved. I make them now and get the same response. I'm glad to share the recipe with you.

Cut up bacon ends and pieces into small pieces and fry until very crisp in a large skillet (cast iron is great, but not necessary) when the bacon is almost done add chopped onions and saute until clear. I have not indicated amounts because that is up to your own taste. I personally like a substantial amount of bacon because the bacon fat is the primary seasoning in this recipe.
When the onions are done, pour in a can of blue lake cut green beans. (water and all) Then season generously with lemon pepper. If you like, you can also add some sliced mushrooms. Simmer, stirring ocasionally, until the liquid is gone and the beans are shriveled. Serve and enjoy...

Regarding CFS, I am really surprised that no one mentioned the CFS that TGI Friday's used to serve. IMHO it was the best I have ever had. I do, however, agree that Chili's serves a better than average CFS. Rain Forest Cafe also serves a good CFS.

Hope you all enjoy the Green Beans and maybe if everyone sends e-mail to TGIF they will bring back their CFS.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
  • Location: columbus, oh
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/04/17 14:22:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Respect2Glory

quote:
Originally posted by ces1948

We went to the Alabama Grill in Sevierville today and had the CFS recommended above. It was very good and is touted on the menu as something like the "Texas one pounder". It was as big as a frisbee and though $14.99 is a little pricey we each brought over 1/2 of it home for another meal maybe two so that works out fairly cheap. It came with with mashed potatoes and country greenbeans.

Charlie


What are country greenbeans? (first thought) (appealing thought)

Ok, now the way I make them is boiled, with ham hocks, quartered onions, and red new potatoes.
curried bluebonnet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
  • Joined: 2006/04/12 23:21:00
  • Location: the woodlands, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/04/19 22:48:56 (permalink)
I don't know how country these are, but we like our fresh green beans this way: Sauteed in a bit of olive oil/butter mixture with diced shallots and fresh garlic, sometimes a bit of bacon or proscuitto--hooey--country good enough here!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4558
  • Joined: 2003/07/26 22:24:00
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/04/20 08:34:26 (permalink)
why exactly is this thread in the News forum,again?

:-)
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
  • Joined: 2005/06/17 09:25:00
  • Location: Kannapolis area, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/04/20 11:24:12 (permalink)
In NC it is country style steak vs chicken fried steak. CSS is fried and then simmered in gravy for at least an hour (longer is better, oven or stove top) CFS is fried and served w/ sawmill gravy poured on top just before service.
Bob in Cary
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
  • Joined: 2006/04/21 11:28:00
  • Location: Cary, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/04/22 15:51:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

In NC it is country style steak vs chicken fried steak. CSS is fried and then simmered in gravy for at least an hour (longer is better, oven or stove top) CFS is fried and served w/ sawmill gravy poured on top just before service.


Same in this part of the state. My dad made country style steak in a pressure cooker. The Chili's here calls chicken fried steak country fried steak. I guess they don't want to confuse people.

The best CFS I've had came from a little place in Tomball, Texas. Goodson's looks like it is still in business 30 years later so it must still be good. I'll find out next month.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
  • Location: columbus, oh
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/04/23 14:39:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

why exactly is this thread in the News forum,again?

:-)

I dunno
shari2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2006/04/25 22:02:00
  • Location: Seaside, OR
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/04/25 23:06:26 (permalink)
Great new place in Seaside, Oregon called McKeown's has a huge Chicken fried steak and egg breakfast with home fried red potatoes and sausage gravy...they sell their own seasoning which has garlic,salt & pepper in it and I assume this is in the breading.
killendo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2006/06/03 15:37:00
  • Location: La Porte, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/03 15:44:47 (permalink)
For the best Chicken Fried Steak you've ever eaten; get a couple of 6 oz filet mignon steaks and roll out as much as you can then pound with a mallet till 1/4" thick. Cook with your favorite CFS recipe and serve with homemade beans, potatos and gravy. A little expensive for everyday eating, but once you try it you'll do it again.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18346
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/03 16:53:54 (permalink)
Consiering the fact that a filet mignon is virtually without flavor, it is not only a waste of money, it is a waste of time and effort to use it for chicken fried steak.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Chicken Fried Steak 2006/06/03 17:55:38 (permalink)
Seconds, anyone?

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1