The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chicken Fried Steak

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 7 of 8, messages 181 to 210 of 233
Sundancer7

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 06/3/06 5:57 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Consiering the fact that a filet mignon is virtually without flavor, it is not only a waste of money, it is a waste of time and effort to use it for chicken fried steak.

In your opinion!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
    RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 06/3/06 8:00 PM (permalink)
    quote:

Consiering the fact that a filet mignon is virtually without flavor, it is not only a waste of money, it is a waste of time and effort to use it for chicken fried steak.
    I was going to respond but not worth it!

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
      RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 06/3/06 9:35 PM (permalink)
      quote:

Me thinks you've eaten one to many cow tenders, Micheal.

Pat T Hat

• Total Posts: 968
        RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 06/3/06 9:52 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Adjudicator

Trivia time.

What is the difference between "Country Fried Steak" and "Chicken Fried Steak"?

Country fried has that brown gravy like in those delicious looking pictures. Chicken fried has a white milk gravy and should have copious amounts of course or cracked pepper. Well that's the difference's drilled into me from a few diner kitchens. I believe it most likely depends on whose kitchen your in.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
          RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 1:54 AM (permalink)
          Hello All,
          Shouldn't this be in the Chicken Section of this site?
          (Just a joke, mods)
          Take Care,
          Fieldthistle

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
            RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 11:14 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Slick

quote:

Me thinks you've eaten one to many cow tenders, Micheal.

I've eaten a few. My father had a slaughter house and wholesale meat business. I spent my growing-up years cutting and delivering meat to hotels and restaurants.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
              RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 11:17 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Pat T Hat

quote:

Trivia time.

Country fried has that brown gravy like in those delicious looking pictures. Chicken fried has a white milk gravy and should have copious amounts of course or cracked pepper. Well that's the difference's drilled into me from a few diner kitchens. I believe it most likely depends on whose kitchen your in.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
                RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 11:29 AM (permalink)
                When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for CFS at our weekly Sunday dinner at Furr's. I haven't been to a Furr's in years. Does anyone know how their CFS is these days?

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
                  RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 11:41 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:

I was going to respond but not worth it!

I would say that you did respond...........and got your opinion stated in tasteless way.

Sundancer7

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 12:19 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

quote:

quote:

Trivia time.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

It may be totally wrong but that is the way Mamaw Smith has been making it for my 65 years on this earth. Her country fried steak has always had a brown gravy. I will not get into it on how she prepares it. Her chicken fried steak has a white gravy.

It is one of my favorite Sunday dinners. I love her country fried steak.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 12:22 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

In your opinion!

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

Of course it's my opinion. All comments on Roadfood are opinions. And, as everyone knows, opinions are like moderators -- everybody has one.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 12:25 PM (permalink)
                        quote:

quote:

quote:

Trivia time.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

While I have had country fried steak with cream gravy a few times, I've never had chicken fried steak with anything other than cream gravy.

Sundancer7

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 12:26 PM (permalink)
                          Michael, no offense mean't. I was merely qualifying your statement. That is the reason there is chocolate and vanilla

I hope the comment about moderators was not mean't the way it sounded.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 12:54 PM (permalink)
                            Why, Sundancer, I don't know what you mean. We all have moderators in our lives, whether we want them or not. I, myself, am a moderator on a political forum where I am regularly accused of being both a left-winger and a right-winger by folks commenting on the same message.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
                              RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 4:35 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

I would tend to agree with that statement. I just polished off a very nice 2" filet that was wrapped in bacon, grilled, and smoked. Excellent. But a filet has no flavor unless I give it flavor (bacon, grill, smoke, marinate).

I know I'm late to the party, but here's my interpretation of cfs:

1) A country fried steak is flour and spices, fried, and covered with brown gravy to low cook until tender. Almost any type of steak...preferably bone-in...will do. Served with mashed potatoes and any other side you prefer.

2) A chicken fried steak is a hammered/tenderized boneless piece of beef that is breaded and fried. Then, served topped with white gravy, mashed potatoes, and any other side you prefer.

Opinions vary ;-)

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 4:53 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

Seconds, anyone?

Holy Cow!
                                Feed me for a week.

Pat T Hat

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/4/06 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

quote:

quote:

Trivia time.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

That's just not possible. Quite a few mean old ladies that knew the business end of an iron skillet told me so!

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
                                    RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 06/5/06 1:01 AM (permalink)
                                    I'm about as southern as a Canadian Mountie, but check out what Miss Paula Dean from the Foodnetwork has to say about this subject :http://www.foodnetworkvideos.com/VideoPortal.html?p=SrnF_9Fxi8sYO0TPBU4jisUDq1gxkwI2&c=yREFo9X7iUt0F6GHUfzKJmGVQcRGUFHq

Looks like her dish, which she calls country fried steak, is basically bathed in a brown gravy. But again, I wouldn't know if this is accurate...I just know I love to watch her on TV!

bobj143

• Total Posts: 8
                                      RE: Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 06/7/06 9:43 PM (permalink)
                                      CFS in Austin, Tx. - Go to Threeadgill's Cafe Used to be a place called Andy's up near Taylor, TX that had a CFS that totally covered the plate. Now I live in FL and they do not know what CFS is, or BBQ either. Bummer .[/8)]

Lived in Houston until two years ago, and once Dirty's closed we never looked for a good CFS place there.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                        RE: Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 06/7/06 9:59 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

I'll have to agree with Mr. Hoffman that chicken-frying a filet mignon is a waste of time, money, and effort. The whole idea of chicken-frying a "steak" is to take an otherwise tough cut of meat and making it yummy.

Bushie

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 06/7/06 10:13 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by bobj143

CFS in Austin, Tx. - Go to Threeadgill's Cafe Used to be a place called Andy's up near Taylor, TX that had a CFS that totally covered the plate. Now I live in FL and they do not know what CFS is, or BBQ either. Bummer .[/8)]

bob, if you can give me any more info about Andy's, I've love to hear it. I can guarantee you it's not around anymore (I live in Round Rock), but I want to know about it if you can tell me more.

I disagree about Threadgill's. Eddie has the most famous place in Austin, but I much prefer Hill's. I finally tried Tony's Southern Comfort a few weeks ago, and the CFS was really good, but I was disappointed in the sides.

Understand that I'm VERY picky about CFS. The best I ever remember having was at Massey's in Fort Worth a couple of years ago.

I don't like the heavily-breaded, deep-fried stuff, where the "crust" falls off at the first cut and leaves nothing but gray meat behind. Most of restaurant CFS falls in that category.

Bushie

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Wed, 06/7/06 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

Seconds, anyone?

Judge, that looks absolutely delicious. I assume that's your son holding the plate??

killendo

• Total Posts: 3
                                              RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 06/10/06 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                              Country-fried steak and chicken-fried steak are similar. Some food historians believe they're regional names for the same thing: a breaded, pan-fried steak served with gravy.

The concept is thought to have been brought to Southern states by German immigrants in the mid-1800s. It is, after all, similar to wiener schnitzel. Also, it was a good way to make use of the tougher cuts of meat available in the South at the time.

Though the name "country-fried steak" goes back at least that long, it's been called "chicken-fried steak" only since around the mid-20th century. The other distinction that's been known to come up is that, where country-fried steak is flour-dusted and generally served with brown gravy and onions, chicken-fried steak is breaded with eggs and served with cream gravy.

Here is a recipe with a little tongue in cheek humor to it, but bottom line is crispy steak, creamy gravy (a little extra black pepper ) and mashed potatoes. http://www.sourdoughhome.com/pfchickenfriedsteak.html

As far as restuarants go, Cracker Barrel makes a mean CFS; but not as good as Lonesome Oak Café in Adkins, Texas! If you get a chance to go through Adkins, make it a point to stop and try it out.

Enjoy

Michael Hoffman

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sat, 06/10/06 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by killendo

(C)ountry-fried steak and chicken-fried steak are similar. Some food historians believe they're regional names for the same thing: a breaded, pan-fried steak served with gravy.

The concept is thought to have been brought to Southern states by German immigrants in the mid-1800s. It is, after all, similar to wiener schnitzel. Also, it was a good way to make use of the tougher cuts of meat available in the South at the time.

Though the name "country-fried steak" goes back at least that long, it's been called "chicken-fried steak" only since around the mid-20th century. The other distinction that's been known to come up is that, where country-fried steak is flour-dusted and generally served with brown gravy and onions, chicken-fried steak is breaded with eggs and served with cream gravy.

Was there some reason why you lifted this directly from a Q&A in the syndicated Food Network Kitchens column without attributing it properly?

Pat T Hat

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/11/06 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                                  Threadgills IS as they say the bomb. Has to be ten years since I've been there and I had the enchiladas which were wonderful. My gal I was with ordered the CFS and I wished I had after trying(and finishing)hers. Well not really 'cause then I'd had both. Threadgills was one of my favorite things about Texas. They dip it in the egg again after they flour it. Well that's what they told me and I believe them. So nice and crispy/glazey outside and really juicy inside. The milk gravy was different than any I've had. Had some pizzaz. Thank you so much for reminding me about them. I have not tried this twice dip method yet. You talked me into it you silver-tongued devil, we'll be trying it this week sometime. Now if I knew how the Saltine Cracker Pie was made!?!

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
                                                    RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/11/06 7:47 AM (permalink)
                                                    The CFS and Salty Pie recipes are here:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/onthemenu/threadrec.php

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                                      • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                      RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/11/06 8:02 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Seconds, anyone?

Judge, that looks absolutely delicious. I assume that's your son holding the plate??

Heck no; scarfed the pic from the web.

Pat T Hat

RE: Chicken Fried Steak Sun, 06/11/06 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Slick

The CFS and Salty Pie recipes are here:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/onthemenu/threadrec.php

That was so cool of you! Thank you so very much Slick!!! What a great artical too!

killendo

• Total Posts: 3
                                                          • Location: La Porte, TX
                                                          RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 06/12/06 11:01 AM (permalink)

Was there some reason why you lifted this directly from a Q&A in the syndicated Food Network Kitchens column without attributing it properly?

Jeez Mike, I didn't get if from Food Network. Maybe they got their's from KnoxNews without proper attribution. I think I'll find another forum to frequent.

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: Chicken Fried Steak Mon, 06/12/06 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by killendo

Jeez Mike, I didn't get if from Food Network. Maybe they got their's from KnoxNews without proper attribution. I think I'll find another forum to frequent.

The KnoxNews piece you posted was a syndicated column from the Food Network. KnoxNews, and newspapers across the country, pay to run it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 7 of 8, messages 181 to 210 of 233

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com