Chicken Noodle Soup

Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2005/03/10 09:26:21 (permalink)

Chicken Noodle Soup

I love chicken noodle soup and noticed there was no thread for it. I use Amish noodles, which strangely enough, I can only find at Super Wal-Mart.
I think I'd like to make some chicken and wild rice soup as well. Anyone else like a good homemmade chicken noodle soup?

20 Replies Related Threads

nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/03/10 09:55:54 (permalink)
    I boil the bone-in skin-on breasts and add spaghetti when done. Salt and pepper and it's just plain good.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/03/10 09:59:51 (permalink)
    I like to add a bit of sesame oil to the soup just before serving for that nutty flavor normally found in won ton soup.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/03/10 10:00:38 (permalink)
    I do and make it often, using the Kluski noodles, because they don't get mushy if there's leftover soup to be reheated. A specialty of our area is chicken corn soup, which has helped to purchase countless pieces of fire equipment.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/03/10 10:05:35 (permalink)
    Had a friends Mom that made stock with all the feet and backs when they butchered their chickens. She made the best chicken noodle soup--with homemade noodles,fresh vegies and chicken from the yard and she claimed the richness came from the feet!-The stock was thick and slightly gelitinous and SOOO full of flavor so---who am i to disagree
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/03/10 15:04:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RubyRose

I do and make it often, using the Kluski noodles, because they don't get mushy if there's leftover soup to be reheated. A specialty of our area is chicken corn soup, which has helped to purchase countless pieces of fire equipment.

I love the Kluski noodleas as well, and one of the varieties of the Amish noodles at Wal-Mart is this. But, what is the chicken corn soup? Is it like a chowder?
    forurlungsonly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/03/10 15:33:33 (permalink)
    To be honest, chicken noodle soup is not one of my favorites! I like my soups thick and creamy and fattening. But I do make the occasional pot, and when I do I add lots of ground ginger and freshly ground black pepper. Awesome, especially if you're not feeling well.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/03/10 20:50:53 (permalink)
    Hey, RubyRose!

How 'bout sharing your chicken corn soup recipe with us? That's one of my favorite soups!
    RubyRose
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/03/23 19:49:30 (permalink)
    I’m nervous about posting a chicken corn soup recipe because it’s kind of like chili or the stuffing for a turkey. There are so many variations of it and everybody who makes it thinks theirs is the best. But there are a few items that most CCS cooks would agreed on. First of all, it’s not a corn chowder with milk or cream in it, although some might think so because in the rivvel version, the flour thickens the soup. It doesn’t have bacon or salt pork in it either. It’s usually made with fresh corn cut but not scraped from the cob. The second choice would be frozen corn and rarely canned – never canned creamed corn. I don’t have written-down recipes but will give it my best shot. Here’s the most common way to make it:

CHICKEN CORN SOUP

1 stewing chicken (about 4 lbs), cut up
    1 onion, peeled and halved
    2 stalks celery, halved
    1 carrot, peeled and halved
    3 ½ quarts water

2 onions, chopped
    1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
    1 cup chopped celery and leaves
    8 ears of sweet corn, shucked
    Salt and pepper

1 cup flour
    1 well-beaten egg
    ¼ cup milk

2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped

Bring chicken, halved onion, carrot and celery to a boil in water. Turn heat down and cook chicken at a simmer in water for 3 hours, or until tender. (Note: can use 3 lb. regular chicken; then only cook for 1 ½ - 2 hours.) Remove chicken pieces and strain broth. Return to pan and add chopped onions and celery, parsley flakes and corn cut off the cob. Cook until vegetables are tender. Remove chicken meat from bones and cube. Season broth to taste with salt and pepper and add chicken cubes.

Mix flour with egg and milk with a fork. Rub it with a fork until it looks like pie crumbs about the size of small peas. Drop crumbs slowly into soup. Cook, covered, without stirring, over low heat for 7 minutes. Stir in chopped eggs and serves immediately. Makes 6 generous servings.

THE WAY I MAKE IT:

Follow the same basic recipe but slice the celery instead of chopping it, put in a thinly sliced carrot and omit the parsley flakes. Cook them with the chopped onion but don’t add the corn until later (I only use 6 ears, not 8). When the vegetables are tender, bring broth to a gentle boil, add 2 cups Kluski egg noodles and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add corn slowly and continue cooking until noodles are done. Stir in chicken cubes, hard boiled eggs and 1 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley.

Note: once in a while, I blaspheme and add one peeled and cubed potato with the noodles or even worse, omit the hard boiled eggs.

olphart
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/03/23 20:48:44 (permalink)
    Well! It's about time!!!

Thanks, RubyRose!
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/04/13 08:53:54 (permalink)
    I made some Chicken Soup yesterday and when it was done I added some chopped cilantro and green onions and it was great!
    eaglerich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2005/04/14 04:18:48 (permalink)
    I like to make soup from the carcass and leftovers from smoked chicken or turkey, usually mesquite or applewood smoked. But the best part of the soup is the homemade noodles. Fresh pasta is so much tastier than dry pasta.
    RubyRose
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2007/07/31 06:45:08 (permalink)
    Since it's the season for fresh corn here in PA, I made chicken corn soup last week and wanted to add a picture of it.

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2007/07/31 07:13:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RubyRose

Since it's the season for fresh corn here in PA, I made chicken corn soup last week and wanted to add a picture of it.

Looks great RR, wish I had that with me for lunch today.
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2007/12/23 01:17:22 (permalink)
    Mmmm! Looks great. I love corn in soup and chowders and find there's usually not enough of it in most of them. I like it in beef stews as well.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2008/01/10 19:36:03 (permalink)
    I like very hearty chicken soups but very often take a minimalist approach in cooking them.

If you are a purist this is the time to shut your eyes before you run through the house screaming with your hair on fire. Fair warning.

As a part of my ongoing microwave cooking experiments I do a lot of soup in the microwave.

Soup is an ideal candidate for the microwave and can be done in any microwave equipped space from dorm room to hotel room to home cook that wants relief from the stove.

For chicken noodle soup I start with the pasta and use handy disposable 64 ounce microwave containers. Use the amount of pasta you want but keep it under half a pound considering the size of the container. Fill container with water and zap uncovered for about 18 minutes. Drain and set aside.You now have plenty of pasta.

Have on hand the best quality low sodium chicken broth you can afford. Using another container place about a pound and a half or more of boneless breast of chicken, cover with broth. Add vegetables such as carrot, celery, onion or whatever you like as they will cook with the chicken. Zap 10 minutes or so until chicken looks done but is still quite tender.

Remove chicken and cut into bite sized pieces, return to container. Add reserved pasta to amount desired and more broth if needed. Cover and cook on half power for about 10 minutes.
    The basic dish is now done, but you are not. Season to taste. I use a bit of fancy sea salt for finishing as well as fresh ground black pepper.

Tonight, I am trying a new take on the basic version. Yesterday, I made a basic chicken noodle soup as described with large casserole elbows, chicken and broth. Tonight I will add a can of Sylvia's collard greens for balance and seasoning. I think it will be good, but this is part of the joy of experimental and minimalist cooking in the microwave.

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2008/01/14 11:53:13 (permalink)
    My Costco makes an in house chicken noodle soup. The soup is darn good, the noodles Way too thick, anybody else have the Costco noodle soup?
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2008/01/14 15:00:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chewingthefat

My Costco makes an in house chicken noodle soup. The soup is darn good, the noodles Way too thick, anybody else have the Costco noodle soup?

Yep, buy it & put it in single serve containers - have some in the freezer now. For a store bought it is very good.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2008/01/27 16:22:04 (permalink)
    Try combining Sweet Sue Chicken and Dumplings with good chicken broth to make chicken noodle soup. Makes a very hearty soup with great noodles.
    Bill Reynolds
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2009/02/21 00:27:55 (permalink)
    Ruby, I wish I could open a can and some of your soup would pour out. That looks great!!
    RubyRose
    RE: Chicken Noodle Soup 2009/02/21 06:27:00 (permalink)
    Bill Reynolds

Ruby, I wish I could open a can and some of your soup would pour out. That looks great!!

Not canned but our neighborhood co-op made and froze about 40 quarts of it one day last last summer so we've been enjoying it all winter.  Wish I could teleport a container down to you.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1