Chicken Soup

Author
jessicazee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
2003/05/07 18:21:21 (permalink)

Chicken Soup

I just stopped by Jo's Cafe in MIlwaukee this afternoon, thinking of getting the now-famous hoffel poffel, but instead got a bowl of chicken dumpling soup. By gosh, it was one of the best I've ever had. Flavorful broth, eggy and slippery dumplings, bits of carrot & celery, and chunks of chicken. Didn't even need to add crackers.

Is there anywhere you go for great chicken soup? It's so rainy here, and it made my soggy day a little better.

10 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/07 20:36:42 (permalink)
    Jess,
    That was our supper this evening also...6 chicken leg quarters that simmered for several hours this afternoon, lifted out of the broth, drained, picked off the bone and returned in smaller pieces to the pot. 1 bag of baby carrots, 8 celery stalks chopped up a bit, a lb or so of the left-over asparagas(our own) cut into 2 inch lengths, 1 Chopped onion, some minced garlic, and salt and pepper, and 1/4 lb butter. Let all that simmer til the veggies are close to done, Boil some seasoned water and half-cook about 8 oz of egg noodles (should be Al-Dente +) then add the noodles and the water to the chicken pot. Simmer some more to give the broth a chance to cook-down some... and Soup's on. Took all afternoon to get it right, but who cares? It was definitely a Chicken Soup Day here too.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/08 04:10:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jessicazee

I just stopped by Jo's Cafe in MIlwaukee this afternoon, thinking of getting the now-famous hoffel poffel, but instead got a bowl of chicken dumpling soup. By gosh, it was one of the best I've ever had. Flavorful broth, eggy and slippery dumplings, bits of carrot & celery, and chunks of chicken. Didn't even need to add crackers.

Is there anywhere you go for great chicken soup? It's so rainy here, and it made my soggy day a little better.

And you didn't have your digital camera with you to give us a photo??

I probably shouldn't say this, but the chicken soup I crave for comfort is Lipton's from a bag. I use half the water, so it's intense and noodly, and add a heap of sauteed garlic and green onions and powdered ginger. Guaranteed to cure any cold!
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/08 08:49:48 (permalink)
    Its probably the single most comforting food I know. Cheap to make too if you use drums or thighs. The only place I feel safe ordering it is in a true deli. If the matzo balls are not like ball bearings then it is complete.
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/08 14:25:32 (permalink)
    Ever try Curry Chicken Soup? If you haven't you really have to. It's the only thing i look forward to during winter since it has the qualities of both homecooking and eastern spice. I haven't found a restaurant that has it yet, but any chicken soup is always better at home anyway!
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/08 17:52:00 (permalink)
    Sorry, Michael, I don't have one. I could draw you a picture... I really need to invest in one, but I spend all my $ on food.

Speaking of the homemade variety, I can never stop myself from throwing in a slice of ginger, some lemongrass (which we have as a housep[lant - try it ! it's so easy and cats like it too), and sometimes one of those dried lime leaves that I have stockpiled in my freezer. Those things in addition to the usual carrots, peppercorns & garlic. Sometimes a little thyme or tarragon, but them's fancy-pants stuff not req'd for a mean chicken soup fix.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/08 19:50:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Jess,
    That was our supper this evening also...6 chicken leg quarters that simmered for several hours this afternoon, lifted out of the broth, drained, picked off the bone and returned in smaller pieces to the pot. 1 bag of baby carrots, 8 celery stalks chopped up a bit, a lb or so of the left-over asparagas(our own) cut into 2 inch lengths, 1 Chopped onion, some minced garlic, and salt and pepper, and 1/4 lb butter. Let all that simmer til the veggies are close to done, Boil some seasoned water and half-cook about 8 oz of egg noodles (should be Al-Dente +) then add the noodles and the water to the chicken pot. Simmer some more to give the broth a chance to cook-down some... and Soup's on. Took all afternoon to get it right, but who cares? It was definitely a Chicken Soup Day here too.

Mr. Mayor. I like your recipe and I will use it this Sunday on Mother's day. You are so creative and I like your style.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/09 00:41:24 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    This Mother's Day upcoming, I am reminded of my late Mother's homemade (from scratch) chicken soup. "Presbyterian penicillin," she dubbed it joyfully, if punfully. - Once when I knew she was making it and I was doing the shopping (she was 85 or 86 at this point), I also bought a box of matzohs, which she agreed were the utterly perfect accompaniment for such a repast. We chowed down in the greatest of spiritual bliss. - It's all one God, folks.
    Happy Mother's Day to anyone to whom it applies!
    Slightly Off-Topically And Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Chicken mull isn't any more than a third cousin to her chicken soup. We ought to start a chicken bog/stew/mull thread, oughtn't we?
    gimmepork
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/12 18:48:17 (permalink)
    Jessicazee,
    Are those the famous (or infamous) Kaffir lime leaves? I've searched all the Oriental markets here in Indy for them, and no one has them. I make a pretty decent Thom Ka Gai soup, if I do say so myself.
    At the coolest Oriental market in town (A-1 Oriental Market, on Shadeland Ave), they did tell me that if I were to make a bulk order, they'd get them for me. Otherwise, we're looking at something like $26 a pound. At those prices, lime zest has proved to be an amazingly suitable substitute.
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/13 17:52:10 (permalink)
    They were in the freezer section at my Asian Mart. It was $1.99 for about 50 of them. I think I need to get more, though, cause I've had these for over a year and they aren't as fragrant as they used to be.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Chicken Soup 2003/05/18 15:12:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Jess,

Mr. Mayor, I did your recipe at the Residence Inn today. Had to do something due to my "Job" experience. Worked real good. I had to improvise some. Added another onion, more garlic and a dash or two of hot sauce. Perked up my day and I will enjoy this evening with libation.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1