Chicken Tenders - Not Just for Kids Anymore!

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
2011/09/19 15:09:39 (permalink)

Chicken Tenders - Not Just for Kids Anymore!

From the Did You Know" Department-
"According to market research from the Mintel Group, chicken fingers were the third most popular item on American menus in 2010, behind steak and Caesar salad."
Here's a recipe for Adult Chicken Fingers from a Chinese Restaurant in Winnepeg Canada. Let's see your Recipes.

Mitzi's Chicken Fingers
SERVES 6
INGREDIENTS
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:
1½ cups mayonnaise
¼ cup honey
2 tbsp. roughly chopped dill
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. dry mustard powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

FOR THE CHICKEN FINGERS:
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3"-long-by-1"-wide strips
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
1½ tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
1 cup flour
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups finely ground fresh breadcrumbs or panko
Canola oil, for frying

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Make the dipping sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise with the honey, dill, mustard powder, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, and stir together until smooth; set honey-dill dipping sauce aside.

2. Make the chicken fingers: In a medium bowl, toss together chicken, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and mustard; set aside. Place flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow dishes; set aside. Pour oil to a depth of 2″ into a 6-qt. Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat until deep-fry thermometer reads 325°. Working in batches, coat chicken in flour, shake off excess, and dip in eggs; coat in breadcrumbs. Fry chicken until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining chicken. Serve with dipping sauce.

5 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8318
    Re:Chicken Tenders - Not Just for Kids Anymore! 2011/09/19 16:20:25 (permalink)
    Don't have a recipe, but this dipping sauce would work:

Pretzel Dip

1 cup sugar
    1 cup Mayonnaise
    4 TBSP Vegetable Oil
    4 TBSP Yellow Mustard (French’s)
    3 Teaspoons Garlic Powder

Blend all of the above together.  Use a whisk or a blender, to dissolve the sugar as best you can.

BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:Chicken Tenders - Not Just for Kids Anymore! 2011/09/21 14:24:55 (permalink)
    Emeril's Tempura Chicken Fingers

2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in strips
    1/2 cup cornstarch
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 cup ice water
    1 cup bleached, all-purpose flour
    1 TBS, Essence or Creole seasoning
    Peanut oil for frying ( I use Canola)

Heat oil in a large pot or wok to 360.

Lightly coat the chicken strips with cornstarch, remove any excess, and set aside.
    In a bowl, beat the egg with ice water.  Add the flour, Essence, and mix lightly and quickly until smooth.  Dip the chicken in the batter, shake off excess.  In batches, add chicken to hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides (about 2-3 minutes).  Remove and drain on paper towels.

I make a dipping sauce with soy sauce and sirachi

This recipe is on Foot Network's website and comes with a recipe for plum sauce, which in my opinion only, is a lot of expense and bother for something that doesn't stand out much different from a store-bought sauce.

SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1037
    Re:Chicken Tenders - Not Just for Kids Anymore! 2011/09/21 20:06:55 (permalink)
    We have a regional restaurant (Syracuse and Rochester) called Tully's, that has the absolute best chicken fingers (they call them tenders) that I've ever had. I go there when I get a hankering for them, I don't bother trying to make them myself anymore.
    Here's a pic from my last visit there... tenders, fries, garlic bread, the cups left to right have their signature honey mustard (nice mustard spice to it, gets right up your nose), their excellent hot buffalo wing sauce, and cole slaw (I don't eat that, but it's supposed to be good). This is about a once or twice a year meal for me these days.

wookman8
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Chicken Tenders - Not Just for Kids Anymore! 2011/09/21 21:39:08 (permalink)
    WOW SeamusD ... that's some plate of goodies!! My mouth is watering!
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Chicken Tenders - Not Just for Kids Anymore! 2011/09/22 00:09:58 (permalink)
    Brining the tenderloins a bit makes a world of difference especially if the brine is seasoned and it doesn't take very long to brine  them. The main problem getting them appealing is that you can only get so much color at 5 minutes or under and paprika alone in reasonable amount in regular breader recipes doesn't help much at the shorter fry times. Adding a colorant such as annotto and tumeric helps a lot to get them to look like something you'd be served at a restaurant. To any of the usual breader recipes that have garlic & onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt,& pepper, the addition of some ground celery seed makes a huge difference between home made and store bought. We do these both in tenderloins and cutlets for sandwiches and they're always a hit. Substitute the flour for cake flour and add some starch and do a double hand breading using just water or the brine instead of a milk/egg wash makes for a perfect breading suitable for the chicken strips.

Our honey mustard sauce is pretty simple using only Mayo,garlic powder,honey,and mustard with a touch of cayenne and liquid smoke added. We also serve with a chipotle ranch or peppercorn parmesan dipping sauce.

We've found that the oil makes a big difference with chicken strips and cutlets. Of everytyhing we've tried, liquid canola shortening seems to have the best overall reception although our usual is a cottonseed-corn oil blend that's much more durable.

If you're doing these at home with a consumer deep fryer, you need to get a feel for your fryer. You need to adjust your load where the highest temp you can reach with clear oil (~ 375-80) doesn't drop below 330-340 degrees and recovers to a median 350-360 for the duration of the fry. That's just over a pound at 2Q and little over 2lbs at a gallon with a typical 1800W immersion heating element. You're going to have to do a filtration after each batch if the heating element is integral to the bottom of the deep fryer or pot if you're using an open burner to keep from fouling the oil. Less if the heating element is above the bottom and you have a cool zone for the cracklings.

Hold at around 175 degrees in your oven on a rack (pizza screens work great) to let the oil drain b4 serving and you should be serving better then QSR chicken strips that everyone would agree that are vastly better then store bought.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1