Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6175
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 17:35:27 (permalink)
Being a 100% Irish["dishwasher wanted, Irish need not apply], the late 18's and early 1900's were not kind to my forefathers, one of whom came here as and indentured servant, that said, there is absolutely nothing that someone could say in general about being Irish, that would remotely offend me. I speak for all of my personal Irish heritage friends when I say this. We are all confident in the wonderful successes this incredible Country has blessed us with, and the hard work and family bonds that made all the success possible. We also happen to naturally have a wonderful sense of humor, and a propensity to not take ourselves too seriously. In a nutshell most of us find Pc, bullcrap! Whew, I now need a beer!
PS. "God created liquor to keep the Irish from conquering the world."
Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to go to hell so they will look forward to the trip!
post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/01/29 17:39:43
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18272
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 18:04:16 (permalink)
Sundancer7

Who doesn't like fried chicken?  I know a few and perhaps Michael who hates chicken wings is one of those? 

You're right Paul. I do not like fried chicken.

mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 18:07:18 (permalink)
Right now I am watching "Portlandia", an absolutely hilarious satire on my home city of portland and its foibles. Because it is about semi-privlidged white folks who are incredibly p.c. I doubt there will be attacks and since so many of us here  in Portland see exaggerated visions of ourselves in the humor, it is truly enjoyable and  there is little worry about offending by the artists who created it. I think that the Irvine students were trying to be sensitive to American racial history and may have gone overboard and were trying to bridge a gap between perceived black-white differences and sensibilities that is very difficult to navigate when you are trying to be sensitive to the differences.  
post edited by mr chips - 2011/01/29 18:12:26
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4587
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/30 11:47:22 (permalink)
would this fly in Irvine?
  Southern food goes upscale at Pican, others
 When Pican owner Michael LeBlanc began pitching his concept of an upscale Southern restaurant, all he got was silence.
[font="georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif; line-height: 22px; font-size: 16px; border-collapse: collapse"] Never mind that he'd been a top executive at Polaroid, running its Asia/Pacific operations. Or that he'd opened the first black-owned brewery on the West Coast.
Soul food as fine dining? InOakland, no less?
"The stares, the looks, were deafening," LeBlanc says of those early investor meetings. "I wanted to say, 'Please don't look at me in that voice.' "
That Pican is now a chirping success in Oakland's Uptown district isn't just a testament to LeBlanc's vision. It's part of a Bay Areamovement pushing the boundaries of what Southern cuisine can taste - and look - like.
Down the street from Pican is Tanya Holland's always-busy Brown Sugar Kitchen, with its signature chicken and waffles. A second branch is scheduled to open this spring in San Francisco, where the elegant 1300 on Fillmore and rustic Farmer Brown have established themselves in the past few years.
"It's Southern influence with California ingredients," says David Lawrence, the executive chef at 1300 on Fillmore.
It's a California spin on Cajun, Creole and Caribbean flavors. And it's coming from a new wave of black-owned restaurants that is neither mom-and-pop nor celebrity-driven, like Michael Jordan's chain of steak houses or Norm Nixon's Odessa in Laguna Beach (Orange County) and Sean "P. Diddy" Combs' Justin's in New York, both now closed.
continued......

post edited by bill voss - 2011/01/30 11:49:15
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/06/10 03:58:44 (permalink)
If I may be sold bold, why chicken and waffles together? That makes no sense. Is there syrup with the waffles? Are they meant to be eaten together in some bizarre waffle rollup with meat? How do you eat that?
I could see getting some fried chicken and having the waffle for dessert, but usually I will just have breakfast for dinner, get bacon, butter and Aunt Jemima!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3731
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/06/10 10:35:48 (permalink)
I don't know that I paid attention to this thread when it first came around.  But, since then, I have traveled to Irvine and I think the problem may be less about African-Americans being offended and more about non-black people thinking African-Americans being offended.  According to UCI's enrollment data (are you proud of me, nancypalooza?), only 2% of their population identifies themselves as African-American.  

I am not sure who tried to compare UCI to Berkeley, but if you think that Irvine, CA is the same bastion of liberalism as Berkeley, CA, you've never been to either place.

I am, however, offended that tomorrow is National German Chocolate Cake Day.  
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 641
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/06/10 13:25:55 (permalink)
senor boogie woogie

If I may be sold bold, why chicken and waffles together? That makes no sense. Is there syrup with the waffles? Are they meant to be eaten together in some bizarre waffle rollup with meat? How do you eat that?
I could see getting some fried chicken and having the waffle for dessert, but usually I will just have breakfast for dinner, get bacon, butter and Aunt Jemima!
On one of the Food Network shows, they talked about how some of the clubs in Harlem closed very late at night, and some of the patrons and/or musicians were looking for late dinner and some early breakfast, thus chicken and waffles was born.  Or that's their story anyway. 

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10109
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/06/10 16:03:40 (permalink)
From Wiki:

There's also a Pennsylvania Dutch Version:
A version of this dish mostly known within areas that have Pennsylvania Dutch influences consists of a plain waffle with pulled, stewed chicken on top, covered in gravy.

The Soul Food Version:
The exact origins of the dish are unknown; there are several versions of its origins.
One version:
"As unusual as it might seem, the marriage of chicken and waffles actually has deep roots. Thomas Jefferson brought a waffle iron back from France in the 1790s and the combination began appearing in cookbooks shortly thereafter. The pairing was enthusiastically embraced by African Americans in the South. For a people whose cuisine was based almost entirely on the scraps left behind by landowners and plantation families, poultry was a rare delicacy; in a flapjack culture, waffles were similarly exotic. Chicken and waffles for decades has been a special-occasion meal in African American families, often supplying a hearty Sunday morning meal before a long day in church...".[2] Another version:
Some historians believe the dish goes back to the late 19th century, when Southern African-Americans, recently freed from slavery, began migrating to the Northern United States. According to author John T. Edge: "My guess is that it comes from the days when someone would go out in the morning and wring a chicken's neck and fry it for breakfast. Preparing a breakfast bread with whatever meat you have on the hoof, so to speak, comes out of the rural tradition".[1] Benny's Home Cooked.com notes:
"It is interesting to note that this combination and/or recipe does not appear in Abby Fisher's 1881 cookbook What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking. Mrs. Fisher was a former slave and her book is generally considered the first cookbook written by an African-American. These foods appear (but not together) in Mrs.Porter's 1871 cookbook Mrs. Porter's Southern Cookery Book.[3]

[edit] Wells Supper Club

A restaurant named the Wells Supper Club in Harlem (1938–1999) used the slogan "Wells: Home of Chicken and Waffles, Since 1938".[4]
A commonly quoted story is that the Wells Supper Club started selling the chicken and waffles dish to late-night patrons of their club in 1938 "as it was too late for dinner, and too early for breakfast"; so Wells Supper Club served both dishes on the one plate.[5][6]
missvuster
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/06/11 14:14:48 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

I don't know that I paid attention to this thread when it first came around.  But, since then, I have traveled to Irvine and I think the problem may be less about African-Americans being offended and more about non-black people thinking African-Americans being offended.  According to UCI's  (are you proud of me, nancypalooza?), only 2% of their population identifies themselves as African-American.  

I am not sure who tried to compare UCI to Berkeley, but if you think that Irvine, CA is the same bastion of liberalism as Berkeley, CA, you've never been to either place.

I am, however, offended that tomorrow is .  

Irvine is nothing like Berkeley!!!!!! I was a student at UCI around this time..how come I don't remember this happening? I would've loved to eat some chicken and waffles on campus hahaha anybody try Bruxie in Orange yet? Been dying to try.
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/06/11 14:46:40 (permalink)
The best I ever had was at the old Zens diner around Denver Pa
It was the Pennsylvania Dutch Version and was wonderful ,as was most of their food
I really miss the Place
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10109
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/06/11 20:08:35 (permalink)
Heartburn
The best I ever had was at the old Zens diner around Denver Pa
It was the Pennsylvania Dutch Version and was wonderful ,as was most of their food
I really miss the Place

Being from PA, I prefer the PA Dutch style----HOWEVER--- I've never turned down the Fried Chicken version. Have been to Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles and Mrs. Whites Golden Rule many times!
http://www.loloschickenandwaffles.com/
http://mrswhitesgoldenrulecafe.com/
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/06/12 11:25:17 (permalink)
senor boogie woogie

I think I recall you being from Bucksnort, TN.  Being from the south, I am sure that if you ever bought fried chicken in the south, it is usually served with honey.  Perhaps some type of bread and probably southern corn bread.

It is my personal thought that chicken, waffles and syrup is just sort of a take off from that.  I have enjoyed it in LA at Ralph's and other places in Atlanta.  Personally, I think the combination really goes good together.  Apparently a lot of other folks do also.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1