Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
2011/01/27 16:52:42 (permalink)

Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult?

The LA Times has an article today about the University of California Irvine cafeteria serving chicken and waffles in honor of MLK Day. Several people, primarily students, have claimed it was "insensitive". Give me a break! Chicken and Waffles is a staple, found in places like Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in Los Angeles and Sylvia's Queen of Soul Food in New York's Harlem. When I go to Roscoe's, the majority of people in there are usually African-American.What next---------serving corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's day will be insensitive too?

http://www.latimes.com/ne...259024.story?track=rss

41 Replies Related Threads

ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 16:57:52 (permalink)
    I think it's just a sensitive issue all around.  A few years back our cafeteria at work decided to celebrate MLK Day by serving fried chicken, collard greens, corn on the cob, biscuits and watermelon.  Some of us were a little disturbed by this, until one of our coworkers mentioned the same thing about St. Patrick's Day so I guess it was all meant to be harmless.  Maybe we were just being too sensitive to the whole thing.  BTW the food was great that day.  Wish they would bring back the menu on occasion.  I think sometimes we just read too much into things.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 17:00:31 (permalink)
    Bastardi Pazzo!!!!  Next thing you know they will be claiming that Italians who like pasta are not politically correct
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 17:15:13 (permalink)
    I guess this doesn't go away doesn't it? Last year, same thing happened at NBC's cafeteria in NY and somebody snapped a picture of the menu board and it made the rounds with the same accusations of insensitivity even though the meal was planned and prepared by the head chef who was also black and vetted by her superiors. She claimed that she prepared Dr. King's favorite meal in his honor and was befuddled at the media furor. NBC appologized.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 18:34:49 (permalink)
    I discussed this with Roz who is black.  Many of you know her and I ask her opinion of this and her response was that it was ridiculous.  What better way to celebrate some ones life with what they enjoy.

She and I both would totally enjoy waffles and fried chicken.

Perhaps it would have been different had it been chitlens and collards but if it had, so what?  We all live in a diverse life.  I have know Roz for better than 25 years and she enjoys all types of food and she does not racially equate roadfood folks with their desire of food.  She is not that way and neither am I.

The time is way over for folks to get off on racial food.  I enjoy collards, fried chicken but not necessarily chitlens  Not because of the implications but because I do not care for them.

For those of you who know Roz, you will totally understand.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 18:44:27 (permalink)
    And I'll raise a bowl of Matzoh Ball Soup and  a plate of chopped liver loaded with Schmaltz to that!
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 18:49:51 (permalink)
    We WASPs are fine with chicken and waffles as long as the restaurant provides a knife and fork for eating the fried chicken.

Actually I prefer the PA Dutch approach to chicken and waffles - creamed chicken over waffles.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 18:53:00 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

I discussed this with Roz who is black.  Many of you know her and I ask her opinion of this and her response was that it was ridiculous.  What better way to celebrate some ones life with what they enjoy.

She and I both would totally enjoy waffles and fried chicken.

Perhaps it would have been different had it been chitlens and collards but if it had, so what?  We all live in a diverse life.  I have know Roz for better than 25 years and she enjoys all types of food and she does not racially equate roadfood folks with their desire of food.  She is not that way and neither am I.

The time is way over for folks to get off on racial food.  I enjoy collards, fried chicken but not necessarily chitlens  Not because of the implications but because I do not care for them.

For those of you who know Roz, you will totally understand.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Hey Paul, let's not forget your love of crackins

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 18:57:15 (permalink)
    That cracks me up  I am glad you found it and I am glad you were there and met ROZ.

Actually they were not that good  Roz did not like them either.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 20:22:22 (permalink)
    I'm still amazed at it. Shows that no good deed goes unpunished. Funny thing----I bet a lot of the "soul food" type restaurants probably also served specials to commemorate the day. If I had thought of it, probably would have been a good day to go to M&M Soul Food or Jaybee's Barbecue----two of my favorite places---and I think likely to have served a special dish or two that day. I think a lot of it is the students-----seems like they need to protest something all the time!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 21:14:30 (permalink)
    I would like to know what the outcry would have been if the food choices served on MLK day wouldnt have been something Dr.King didnt enjoy.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/27 21:48:45 (permalink)
    Annpeeples:  Touché !!
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/28 10:54:23 (permalink)
    Do these politically correct  people ever realise how much they impede free speech and expression.  I have zero tolerance for them and take great pleasure in turning the tables on them. It is pretty funny.
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/28 11:43:51 (permalink)
    I'm married to someone of Polish descent.  I think he would laugh like crazy of someone had a day in honor of Pollacks and had a menu featuring duck blood soup and cabbage and all the other "specialties".  There could even be an edict that in order to partake in the feast you had to wear plaid pants and a striped shirt (as in "you look like a real pollack in that outfit).  He would find that hilarious and so would everyone else. 
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/28 16:42:02 (permalink)
    Allgood and analei, you've hit upon it exactly. I'm of Jewish descent. If I was still in college and my school cafeteria served potato pancakes (latkes) in honor of Chanukah, I would be thrilled. It's not "insensitive"---it's just honoring something through an easily identifiable item----food. Free speech-----it seems those who call out "insensitive" are the biggest impediments to free speech. And allgood----your hubby might laugh like crazy if a place did that. But you might ask him----would he go? I bet he would! Of course, the chances might be even better if the served pierogies!
    post edited by EdSails - 2011/01/28 17:18:40
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/28 17:28:15 (permalink)
    Free speech means you're free to speak your mind.  It doesn't give what you say the right to be free from criticism.

I doubt any insult was intended, but it's hard to equate ethnic slurs.  We live in a region where the phrases "guinea tee" (a sleeveless tee-shirt) and "jew him down" (bargain) are fairly common.  The Italians tend to laugh about "guinea tee."  The Jews tend to find "jew him down" antisemitic.  I don't fully understand the differing reactions but they exist, and there's nothing wrong with trying to be sensitive to someone else's feelings.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/28 18:41:36 (permalink)

Free speech means you're free to speak your mind.  It doesn't give what you say the right to be free from criticism.

I doubt any insult was intended, but it's hard to equate ethnic slurs.  We live in a region where the phrases "guinea tee" (a sleeveless tee-shirt) and "jew him down" (bargain) are fairly common.  The Italians tend to laugh about "guinea tee."  The Jews tend to find "jew him down" antisemitic.  I don't fully understand the differing reactions but they exist, and there's nothing wrong with trying to be sensitive to someone else's feelings.

I agree to some extent. When I was sixth grade, a good friend talked about how his dad bought something and "Jewed him down". I was very uncomfortable---even hurt. But that was mainly ignorance. What the cafeteria at UCI tried to do was HONOR Dr. Martin Luther King. Their way of doing it was with a food identified with the black experience, served in honor of a great man. I can't see how that could possibly be construed as "insensitive". As I mentioned before, if I'd gone to Roscoe's, they probably would have had something on the menu to honor him. The City of Long Beach, CA has a parade for him---and it uses as part of it's route Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd. Is that "insensitive" too? Or is it just a tempest in a teapot? What would have happened if the school (and other places too) chose to ignore MLK Day. Wouldn't that have been more insensitive?
    post edited by EdSails - 2011/01/28 21:00:12
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 00:00:32 (permalink)
    It's a difficult balance, for sure.  For sure, some people choose to take offense where none was intended because they like to play the victim.  Also, some folks like to get up real close to the fine line between recognizing cultural differences and offensive stereotyping.  Then when the storm happens they plead ignorance.

I'd put my money on the chicken and waffles having been meant as honoring, not insulting, the memory of Dr. King.  And the people who objected probably overreacted.  But what if they had served just watermelon?  Which they didn't - but if it had happened, it would be easy to see the insult there.  It's possible to insult with a simple food item.  Chicken and waffles just doesn't seem to me to be that food item.

I find it hard to be angry with people who have endured generations of insults and abuse (and much worse) when they see a snub that isn't there.  And I think that may account, at least in part, for why African and Jewish Americans might be more sensitive to possible slights.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 01:18:12 (permalink)
    Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles in Phoenix is owned By Mrs. White's, (Of Mrs White's Golden Rule Cafe) Grandson. They both practice The Golden Rule and sell Soul Food. Both people are Black Americans with their customers being a mix of all races, Black, White Hispanic, etc.

Those UC Irvine Kooks are only ranked below the Uber PC-Kooks at Cal- Berkley! Get over it!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 01:19:34 (permalink)
    Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles in Phoenix is owned By Mrs. White's, (Of Mrs White's Golden Rule Cafe) Grandson. They both practice The Golden Rule and sell Soul Food. Both people are Black Americans with their customers being a mix of all races, Black, White Hispanic, etc.

Those UC Irvine Kooks are only ranked below the Uber PC-Kooks at Cal- Berkley! Get over it!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 01:21:06 (permalink)
    It would be insensitive if they served Tea Sandwiches and Bangers & Mash, along with High Tea!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8401
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 01:33:20 (permalink)
    I am quite surprised.

I find "Jew him down" extremely offensive.  I don't care if it's commonplace in areas.  A place serving latkes because it's Chanukkah is not offensive.  There is a difference.

Whenever there is a Jewish holiday, any Jewish holiday all of the markets in this area put up large displays of foods eaten specifically during Passover.

It's a nice gesture, even though it's incorrect.  What do we do?  We buy and eat the Passover foods.  We do not alert the press.

Certain things or foods are stereotypically negative. Myself I wouldn't have thought fried chicken and waffles offensive as they are served at many restaurants.

In the students' case I find it going a bit overboard but I'm not them.

doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 09:12:54 (permalink)

I would be very offended by this menu. Where are the Ribs??
    That may be part of the problem.  It may have been perceived as a toss-out special, when a complete and enticing meal/menu could have been offered. 
    I wonder what is going to happen in that cafeteria when Chinese New Year comes up shortly? General Tso and fried rice is not much of a offering but it does equal chicken and waffles. If the cafeteria offers more than two items, that will cause a scene too.

mark
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 09:30:25 (permalink)
    I teach at a private school, so we had classes on MLK Day.  Our sit-down dinner that night was fried chicken with all the fixins.  They do this every year, and the kids joke about it -- yet they love the chicken and complain that the dining hall doesn't serve it often enough!  For the Chinese New Year, we always have a huge Chinese food spread (we have about 30 Chinese students), and everyone loves it.    Chris
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2464
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 09:40:38 (permalink)
    I seem to remember reading somewhere a while back that chicken & waffles was a favorite meal of the late Dr. King.  I don't know how accurate that is as everything on the internets isn't 100% true.  I got the impression from the original article that the chef at UC Irvine was doing this as a way to celebrate Dr. King and with chicken being the meat of the day on the menu he wanted to come up with a dish that he might have liked to eat if he were here today.  

Bruce, I second what you voiced about free speech and criticism.  I wonder though, where you live, the phrase about Italian t-shirts, is that said by Italians about each other or by non-Italians about Italians?  I've heard it fairly often in the city when someone of Italian descent would use it to describe someone else Italian.  Where I grew up in Central NY, there weren't and still aren't very many Jewish people but I used to hear that phrase frequently when growing up.  I would make me cringe as it obviously wasn't being used as a term of endearment.  

I'd be curious to hear specifically what the offended students had thought of the menu choice and if it was a knee-jerk reaction or they had inquired further about why the chef had made that the food of the day.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 09:43:01 (permalink)
    Who doesn't like fried chicken?  I know a few and perhaps Michael who hates chicken wings is one of those? 

At my age, I am not offended by any food regardless of the special day.

I believe folks who get offended are a little bit sensitive over absolute nothing.  This is an age of absolute no food diversity.  Why should we? 

I am a white American male and Roz is a black African American female.  Neither of us are ever offended by any food.  As Andrew Zimmern says:  If it looks good, eat it. 

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 10:17:18 (permalink)
    ALLGOOD

I'm married to someone of Polish descent.  I think he would laugh like crazy of someone had a day in honor of Pollacks and had a menu featuring duck blood soup and cabbage and all the other "specialties".  There could even be an edict that in order to partake in the feast you had to wear plaid pants and a striped shirt (as in "you look like a real pollack in that outfit).  He would find that hilarious and so would everyone else. 

Then your husband needs to come to the Chicago area where the first Monday in March is celebrated as Pulaski Day and everything possible goes Polish for the day and Chicago City schools close. There are Polish feasts and even the supermarkets advertise various Polish foods on special.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 14:02:49 (permalink)
    When you come to my home for a special meal, it's Italian Food.  Because it's who I am and where I came from.  Whether it's the peasant food we ate because we couldn't afford anything else or milk fed veal, I am proud and happy with my ethnic background and the foods associated with it. 

I guess you could say I'm uninsultable.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 14:09:17 (permalink)
    Yeah, but you eat well.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    Re:Chicken and Waffles---good food or an insult? 2011/01/29 14:13:42 (permalink)
    I will echo joerogo-I am of German descent. and I make a wonderful beef rouladen handed down from my great-grandmother.I am happy and proud to serve this dish.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1