Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2006/10/07 10:46:55 (permalink)
Mamaw Smith made me a pan fried breakfast of chicken thighs with thick chicken gravy with biscuits for breakfast before my trip to Houston with Judi. It was super.

She also had some of her freezer strawbery preserves which was greqat with her Mellow Joy coffee.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2006/10/10 10:48:23 (permalink)
Sundancer, you entered the same exact posting 4 times in a row! Was the posting button stuck? Or was there some secret emphasis intended?
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2006/10/10 11:36:51 (permalink)
Sundancer, that's my favorite meal, but I never had it for breakfast. But now I will.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2006/10/10 14:03:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

Sundancer, you entered the same exact posting 4 times in a row! Was the posting button stuck? Or was there some secret emphasis intended?

You are correct and I have no idea why I did that. I am in Houston and my wife is seriously ill and some of my post were made early AM when I could not sleep. I have removed them and thanks for your post. sorry about that. I try not to overpost.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
captain_keevin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2006/10/10 16:44:16 (permalink)
Sundancer:
Sorry about your wife. We are going through the same thing here in Indiana with my wife. My prayers are with you both. God bless!

You are correct and I have no idea why I did that. I am in Houston and my wife is seriously ill and some of my post were made early AM when I could not sleep. I have removed them and thanks for your post. sorry about that. I try not to overpost.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Relentless
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2006/11/01 19:36:48 (permalink)
Loving this thread. I pan fried a couple of chickens yesterday and we are taking the backs, thighs, etc. and making chicken and dumplings tonight...can't wait.

My mother was involved in one of the first KFC franchises...not even sure that it was called Kentucky Fried Chicken at the time, but it was one of the original franchises, direct from the Col. himself. Believe it or not, the franchise fee was a nickle a chicken. John Y. Brown changed that:-) I remember well the chickens being delivered in wooden crates covered with ice...70# to the case I think. They had an employee who cut up the chickens on a band saw. The pressure cookers held two chickens I believe...they got the oil hot & dumped the breaded chicken in...let the foam subsdide, gave it a good stir & then put the lid on. Cooked for 8 minutes I think. Understand that I am running on memory here from 1965 or so...eaten many a bucket of chicken from there. Personal preference was livers/gizzards and gravy. Son.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2006/11/01 19:49:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Relentless

Loving this thread. I pan fried a couple of chickens yesterday and we are taking the backs, thighs, etc. and making chicken and dumplings tonight...can't wait.

My mother was involved in one of the first KFC franchises...not even sure that it was called Kentucky Fried Chicken at the time, but it was one of the original franchises, direct from the Col. himself. Believe it or not, the franchise fee was a nickle a chicken. John Y. Brown changed that:-) I remember well the chickens being delivered in wooden crates covered with ice...70# to the case I think. They had an employee who cut up the chickens on a band saw. The pressure cookers held two chickens I believe...they got the oil hot & dumped the breaded chicken in...let the foam subsdide, gave it a good stir & then put the lid on. Cooked for 8 minutes I think. Understand that I am running on memory here from 1965 or so...eaten many a bucket of chicken from there. Personal preference was livers/gizzards and gravy. Son.

Mamaw Smith occasionally fries her chicken in a pressure cooker. It is amazing how fast it cooks like that.

She also pan fries it until it gets slightly brown and then puts it in the over to finish off while she is at church. My guess is about 200F for a couple of hours.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2006/11/02 12:02:22 (permalink)
I made some broasted-like chicken and broasted potatoes in my old Weaver pressure fryer (not a pressure cooker) last week with mixed results. The chicken and potatoes that were on the bottom of the fryer were cooked exceptionally well and were very tasty, but the pieces of chicken and potatoes that were on top were insufficiently cooked (or at least their color was not sufficiently dark brown as I like it). I think this is the result of having too small a pressure fryer. Mine is only a "6 quart" fryer and I cooked about 6 pieces of chicken and 8 pieces of broasted potatoes. I think I will look for a new pressure fryer with more room to cook in it. The chicken on the bottom of the fryer came out very tender and moist and darn if it didn't taste similar to that that I sometimes get at a good broasted chicken place. The chicken pieces on top of the pile in the fryer, though, left much to be desired. One option that I thought of afterwards with my small pressure fryer was to brown several pieces first, take them out and fry the rest to a golden brown, then add the browned chicken, close and lock the fryer top and cooked to completion. I may try that next time.

When at a local Home and Garden Show last month, they had a demonstration of pressure fryers and I almost bought an 8 quart model, but with this recent experience I think I will buy the 10 quart model instead at the next opportunity that I have. They make them even larger, but I think the 10 quart would be the ideal size. And the safety features on the newer equipment makes them very reliable and safe to use.
thefluffyturtle
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/01/11 04:41:10 (permalink)
BROASTED CHICKEN IS DA BOMB!! Hard to find in eating establishments here in FLA though...We have a community of Mennonites and they have several good places to eat. One in particular TROYERS aka: DER DUTCHMAN
has it to die for.

FLUFFY
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/01/12 21:03:31 (permalink)
There is a convenience store chain located in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas that specializes in pressure fried chicken. It is really good but I forgot the name????

I have stopped there many times to gas up and chicken up.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rando
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/03 14:20:22 (permalink)
I was inspired by this thread and recipe to try frying my own chicken... ( using the recipe below) well, it came out great! but I was too timid with the spices. next time I will put more on. not sure why it never came out right before, probably the oil temp or something. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

Fried Chicken is my all time favorite food, and (I think) I've prepared it every way possible. For my taste buds, pan fried is the way to go. When you pan-fry, the parts of the chicken that sit on the bottom of the pan get extra dark and carmelized, which equals flavor in my book. Here's my very simple recipe (adapted from a lifetime of trial and error, assisted by Alton Brown):

-1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces (10 if the breasts are huge)
-soak chicken overnight in buttermilk
-rinse and pat dry
-sprinkle with mixture of kosher salt, paprika, black pepper, touch of cayenne
-dredge in flour
-melt Crisco in cast-iron skillet (about 1/2" of melted fat) to 325 degrees
-fry till golden brown on each side

I find it tastes best at room tempurature.

This is one of my "occasional indulgences" that I speak of here sometimes. However, it's the ONE that I make several times a year. It's worth every minute on the treadmill.
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/03 15:25:04 (permalink)
Pan-fried in an old cast iron frying pan...!!!
Rando
Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/03 15:53:16 (permalink)
I also think the pan makes a difference, for sure. I think before I was using some kind of non-stick pan the the heat was uneven. this time I used a heavy steel or aluminum pan and it worked fine. one of these days I will get a cast iron one!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/03 17:08:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rando

I also think the pan makes a difference, for sure. I think before I was using some kind of non-stick pan the the heat was uneven. this time I used a heavy steel or aluminum pan and it worked fine. one of these days I will get a cast iron one!

If you are ever in the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area, Lodge has a couple of outlets there. You can buy their seconds and save a heap of money and they are just as good. You can buy them already seasoned but save yourself some money and do it yourself. It is no effort. Oil the pan and heat it up.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rando
Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/04 18:34:02 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip, SUndancer! I had a cast iron skillet a long time ago but it got rusted and I thought it was no good anymore, so I threw it out! but someone said you can revive them somehow??
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/04 20:24:25 (permalink)
quote:

Thanks for the tip, SUndancer! I had a cast iron skillet a long time ago but it got rusted and I thought it was no good anymore, so I threw it out! but someone said you can revive them somehow??

You should not have thrown it out.

Mamaw Smith has had one for better than 70 years. It gets sorta crusty. I live on the Tennesse River and during the winter, they drop the lake for flood control and I tend to burn dead trees on the sandy beach. Sometimes the burn pile gets pretty high and during Feburary, I burn the pile. Mamaw Smith Brings down her Lodge cast iron frying pans and tossing them into the fire. It burns for several hours, she takes them out, oils them, sticks them in the over and burns them again and they are as good as new.

I do not believe you can wear them out.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/04 20:51:12 (permalink)
Good gosh. How many times do we have to cover this topic? Pan fried ONLY. Cast iron pan ONLY; (& then covered to simmer). Hell Fire! Us deep south Southerner's are right. Anyone north of Macon, GA (draw a line across the map east to west from there); IS WRONG!!!! Simple as that!

Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/04 21:54:40 (permalink)
quote:

Huhhhhhhhhhh!!!?" /> GASP...ARGHHHHhhhhh...THUMP!!!
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/04 22:15:42 (permalink)
Adjudicator is 100% CORRECT !!! We Southerners must hold firm in this matter ! LOL
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6454
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/05 14:22:48 (permalink)
Watch it you damn Johnny Reb's, there is a few damn yankees that know how the good stuff is done.

Of course being right on the mason/dixon line doesn't hurt either.

Rando,

If cast iron rust, just get out the sand paper, sand the rust off wash it clean then reseason it.

I have to do that occaissionally with some of my dutch ovens, after I let a friend borrow them.
Rando
Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/05 14:29:21 (permalink)
Thanks everyone! now I know what to do! and how to cook fried chicken! Think I'll stop on the way home a buy a cast iron skillet. there is a restaurant supply place right near my house.
Bluntfacts
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/05 19:18:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by thefluffyturtle

BROASTED CHICKEN IS DA BOMB!! Hard to find in eating establishments here in FLA though...We have a community of Mennonites and they have several good places to eat. One in particular TROYERS aka: DER DUTCHMAN
has it to die for.

FLUFFY

Well said. There is very little I miss from Michigan, but the Broasted Chicken from the Chicken Shack (a small local chain) was in the A range everytime for 30+ years. They are still there and have a website: www.chickenshack.com. I can't have the chicken shipped here to Las Vegas, but I can have the sauce. For any Roadfooders visiting SE Michigan, seek out a Chicken Shack and post a review.
dmunson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/09/16 15:57:28 (permalink)
Just finished cooking a small whole cut up a 4 pound chicken in my Fagor 8 quart pressure fryer. I have two other pressure cookers. This is a real pressure fryer.

I had the chicken in a bag of buttermilk for 4 hours. Two inches of peanut oil in the cooker brought to almost 400 degrees. (The pan is on my power burner on high the whole time). Dip the chicken in fry mix and place in the pan; largest pieces first. I gave it about 3-4 minutes to darken in the boiling oil after the last piece is in. Make sure they don't stick together. Put the lid on and pressure cap. About 2 minutes for steam to start spinning the cap. Twelve minutes exactly after the spinner started spitting steam I cut the heat and released steam (normal method). Smallest pieces out of the pan first.

Very tender and moist. I think my cook time is slightly too long but everything has wonderful flavor and texture. Not greasy. Nothing burnt or the breading too dark. Much better than deep fat frying. My normal is slightly better than the absolute best pan fried chicken you have ever had. Did I say tender? Fresh.

The 8 quart size will do a small chicken nicely. I found my pressure fryer on e-bay. KFC style? Easy. My original recipe KFC is much fresher than the restaurants and much cheaper. Chick-fil-a? Piece of cake (6 minutes under pressure & sugar in the flour).
Rando
Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/10/02 16:48:59 (permalink)
another question about fried Chicken!

I got pretty good at pan frying chicken, but I want to try deep-frying. I got a deep fryer for my birthday! I usually use Crisco but it says not to use it in the deep fryer because it will smoke or something. I don't get this, as it doesn't smoke in the pan! any advice on what oil to use? can I just go ahead and use crisco anyway?

Thanks.
divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Chicken deep fried, pressure fried or pan fried? 2007/10/02 17:21:06 (permalink)
peanut oil is always tops for deep frying.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1