Helpful ReplyHot!Chicken of the Month

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9238
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/01/17 08:37:25 (permalink)
Another great find, Brad! And gravy-bring it on!
lora789
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/01/28 08:58:53 (permalink)
Here it is my favorite chicken 
post edited by lora789 - 2015/01/28 09:04:21
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5669
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/02/22 22:35:15 (permalink)
February, 2015

Yesterday my wife and I were in Whitewater, WI and stopped in at Jessica's Family Restaurant for lunch.  It's located on Main Street in the older downtown section, and despite having a relatively small storefront is actually fairly spacious inside.

The soups were chicken rice and vegetable, and we both chose the former.  Nicely seasoned and slightly peppery with plenty of chicken and rice, it was a very good start and what I hoped would be a premonition of things to come.

The chicken was nicely fried and thinly battered/breaded so it had the "skin taste", but my tastebuds would've definitely liked some more seasoning both in the crust and the meat.  I really hate to say "disappointing" but after the soup it was a bit of a letdown.

But all was not lost as Mrs. C's hot breaded pork tenderloin sandwich saved the day.  Flavorful meat, hearty breading, good gravy and real potatoes...all the "yeah, I'm in your mouth" that the soup had and the fried chicken didn't.  Kind of puzzling, really!

Jessica's had a nice Saturday lunch crowd and as Whitewater's a college town a good percentage of the customers were college kids, so I'm willing to bet that overall it's a pretty good place to eat even though our meal was a bit uneven.  I'm thinking there might be a return visit in the future, because I'd like to give it another try and there just happens to be a place with a cool neon "Cocktails" sign just down the block...
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2015/02/23 08:34:46
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/02/22 22:54:10 (permalink)
That's too bad-the chicken looks good.
thefoodguy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/03/10 16:58:20 (permalink)
Thanks for the reviews, and the pics..I'm sooo hungry right now.

Not quite as many fried chicken places here in CT.
Keep up the excellent work.

T$
nancywatson01
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Flagged as Spam (2)
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/09 06:30:30 (permalink)
amzing recipe to try, i love all the chicken recipe. thank you for posting.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/17 23:07:15 (permalink)
April, 2015

Sometimes you have to leave The Country and travel to The Big City for chicken, so that's what we did this past Wednesday.

This Village Inn definitely isn't part of the chain!

No, this isn't Canasta Night at Foodbme's house.  The front of the Inn houses the bar and the modest dining room is to the back, and dinner service starts at 5pm so we had about 10 minutes to wait.  Diners aren't led to their tables; instead, the bartender tells them where to sit.

We were told "first table on the right, when you're ready".

Some places automatically garnish an Old Fashioned with fruit (usually an orange wedge and a cherry) but the Inn offers olives and pickled mushrooms as well.  Given that I ordered mine sweet the fruit probably would've been the better choice, but I love pickled mushrooms.

I started with a bowl of potato bacon soup.  It had good flavor and was loaded with chunks of potato, some of which were still quite firm but I didn't mind.

No excessive plate adornment here, and that's just fine with me.  The chicken had a not-too-thin crust that crunched and crumbled nicely, and both it and the meat were decently seasoned.  I'd definitely order it again.

Around here these are known as Boston Browns and the Village Inn does a nice job with them.  The exteriors were nicely browned while the interiors were still white and potatoey, and with a little salt and pepper they were quite good.

Mrs. Chicken opted for the fried catfish and a baked potato.  While she didn't care for the tartar sauce she thought the fish was fine, and the bite I had was nice and flaky without a strong fishy taste.

The Village Inn is open only for dinner but Footville also has a cafe that serves breakfast and lunch, and at just over 15 miles from home we'll probably check it out sometime.  But I also won't rule out another visit to the Inn to try something else.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8564
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/18 00:13:47 (permalink)
I want to go to Footville!  Looks like you ate well!  I once ate at Bob's Bar in Martinsburg, NE where the sign proudly proclaimed,
"Population 93".  One of the best Roadfood meals I ever had! 
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9234
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/18 00:19:44 (permalink)
I would have ordered that fish.  It looks fabulous!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/18 08:28:41 (permalink)
It all looks great!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/18 08:54:14 (permalink)
Great looking chicken.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/18 21:54:16 (permalink)
lleechef
I want to go to Footville!  Looks like you ate well!  I once ate at Bob's Bar in Martinsburg, NE where the sign proudly proclaimed, "Population 93".  One of the best Roadfood meals I ever had!

Well, I can't honestly say that you haven't lived until you've visited Footville but at least you wouldn't go hungry.

Small towns off the beaten path (although state road 11 goes right by Footville) are quite possibly my favorite places to visit.  There's always that chance of finding something unexpected.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4529
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/18 22:41:11 (permalink)
"...off the beaten path...¨Footville..."  Hah!  I get it.  Well played.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/19 12:35:57 (permalink)
Then my tentative future visit to Big Foot should leave you positively giddy.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2015/04/19 20:19:33
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4529
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/19 17:45:45 (permalink)
Surely you don't mean Big Foot Beach State Park, located on the placid eastern shores of Geneva Lake in southeastern Wisconsin?  They got chicken there?!?

Or perhaps you meant Big Foot Country Club, located at the opposite end of said lake.  They got chicken there?!?

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/19 20:27:47 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Surely you don't mean Big Foot Beach State Park, located on the placid eastern shores of Geneva Lake in southeastern Wisconsin?  They got chicken there?!?

The east end of the lake (kudos for not calling it Lake Geneva) was/is FIB country.  Us Walworth/Fontana townies stick to the west end so's not to upset the tourist trade.

Or perhaps you meant Big Foot Country Club, located at the opposite end of said lake.  They got chicken there?!?

The only chickens there were the ones afraid to take a toboggan down "Old Faithful", a great long run out on the golf course.  The walk back to the top was a pain.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 19885
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/19 20:37:18 (permalink)
I notice that you're eating a lot of fried chicken in this thread. Is that on purpose?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/19 20:41:33 (permalink)
Mere coincidence.  That damn Google keeps directing me here.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 19885
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/04/19 20:59:28 (permalink)
Ah, I thought it might be something like that.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/05/17 12:13:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2015/05/17 20:50:42
May, 2015

I had some free time last Saturday so I took a drive to Clinton, WI to check out Clinton Kitchen.  It's right on the main drag through downtown (such as downtown is for a town of 2100+ people).

Since it was almost 2pm the dining room was pretty empty.  Clinton Kitchen closes at 3pm on Saturdays and doesn't reopen until Monday morning, so the dry-erase menu board that hangs on the pegs above the cashier had already been taken down to be rewritten.

On Friday nights the counter is used for a fish buffet, which is apparently quite popular and might be worth the 45-minute drive sometime.

When it comes to soup or salad I'm always a soup guy, so today was no exception and while the leftover clam chowder from the night before sounded enticing I decided on broccoli cheese.

If I hadn't been so focused on chicken I would've cancelled the rest of my order and just eaten soup until it came out of my ears.  It was cheesy without being excessively so (like a dip or too many bad cheese soups), and was packed with enough broccoli to stand on its own as a meal.  Put me at the counter, hand me a ladle, set the pot down and stand back.

My 3-piece (no wing) fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans.

The beans seemed like a typical Blue Lake variety cooked "northern style", which basically is steamed or simmered with little if any additional seasoning.  These are the beans I ate growing up so they were fine with me.  The potatoes and beef gravy were definitely homemade; in fact, the gravy reminded me quite a bit of what my mom would make when we had pot roast.  It was more on the subtle side and didn't have a real big, beefy flavor like a brown gravy might, but that allowed it to go fairly well with the chicken.  And speaking of the chicken, it was a solid performer as it was nice and crunchy outside and moist (and darn hot!) inside, and decently salted.  Overall this was a pretty darn good lunch and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

Clinton Kitchen's owner prides herself on her homemade pies, and while that's of no interest to me (unless she's making a nice beef or chicken pie) I figured I should take a couple of pieces home to my wife, since she was at work while I was out being irresponsible and spendy.

I bought one slide each of cherry and Dutch apple and Mrs. C liked them both very much.  In fact, while I was there a couple of people came in just to get pie to go, and apparently there's quite a brisk pies-to-order business around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

Clinton Kitchen does happen to be a cash-only business but not all that much is needed, as my lunch with a soda came to under $10 and I was plenty full.  Then I went home, turned on the TV...and fell asleep.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/05/17 15:36:23 (permalink)
Another great find! Its so hard to find good broccoli cheese soup-but when you do its a treasure.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/05/17 18:38:42 (permalink)
Really nice looking food, Brad!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6863
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/05/19 16:05:47 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
May, 2015

I had some free time last Saturday so I took a drive to Clinton, WI to check out Clinton Kitchen.  It's right on the main drag through downtown (such as downtown is for a town of 2100+ people).

Since it was almost 2pm the dining room was pretty empty.  Clinton Kitchen closes at 3pm on Saturdays and doesn't reopen until Monday morning, so the dry-erase menu board that hangs on the pegs above the cashier had already been taken down to be rewritten.

On Friday nights the counter is used for a fish buffet, which is apparently quite popular and might be worth the 45-minute drive sometime.

When it comes to soup or salad I'm always a soup guy, so today was no exception and while the leftover clam chowder from the night before sounded enticing I decided on broccoli cheese.

If I hadn't been so focused on chicken I would've cancelled the rest of my order and just eaten soup until it came out of my ears.  It was cheesy without being excessively so (like a dip or too many bad cheese soups), and was packed with enough broccoli to stand on its own as a meal.  Put me at the counter, hand me a ladle, set the pot down and stand back.

My 3-piece (no wing) fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans.

The beans seemed like a typical Blue Lake variety cooked "northern style", which basically is steamed or simmered with little if any additional seasoning.  These are the beans I ate growing up so they were fine with me.  The potatoes and beef gravy were definitely homemade; in fact, the gravy reminded me quite a bit of what my mom would make when we had pot roast.  It was more on the subtle side and didn't have a real big, beefy flavor like a brown gravy might, but that allowed it to go fairly well with the chicken.  And speaking of the chicken, it was a solid performer as it was nice and crunchy outside and moist (and darn hot!) inside, and decently salted.  Overall this was a pretty darn good lunch and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

Clinton Kitchen's owner prides herself on her homemade pies, and while that's of no interest to me (unless she's making a nice beef or chicken pie) I figured I should take a couple of pieces home to my wife, since she was at work while I was out being irresponsible and spendy.

I bought one slide each of cherry and Dutch apple and Mrs. C liked them both very much.  In fact, while I was there a couple of people came in just to get pie to go, and apparently there's quite a brisk pies-to-order business around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

Clinton Kitchen does happen to be a cash-only business but not all that much is needed, as my lunch with a soda came to under $10 and I was plenty full.  Then I went home, turned on the TV...and fell asleep.

Buffetbuster was in WI???
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/05/20 10:34:26 (permalink)
CajunKing
ScreamingChicken

Buffetbuster was in WI???

If he was that would've read "pies to go".  Or "a pie truck to go".
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/05/20 11:40:47 (permalink)
CK
Didn't you know......bb is everywhere!  I once heard he flew to South Dakota for the weekend to eat sour cream raisin pie. 
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/05/20 12:53:37 (permalink)
Geez, Lisa. The chicken alone would be a tour for you and I.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->