Helpful ReplyHot!Chicken of the Month

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5817
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/08/09 15:43:40 (permalink)
Once I'd committed to chicken for both Friday and Saturday of the long weekend I knew I had no choice but to follow through to the end.  But I was so unsure of where to go and how to get there...if only some guidance was available...

OK, I guess that works.  The Buckhorn Supper Club has been on the southeastern shore of Lake Koshkonong since 1933 and is less than 30 minutes from our house, but I must shamefully admit that until July 5 I'd never been there.

In Wisconsin, quality boat-accessible restaurants and bars always have a classic beer sign (bonus points if the lighting only partially works) down by the pier(s), with PBR, Old Style, and their associated brands being the most popular.  An establishment choosing to display a sign for something like Sam Adams or Blue Moon would soon be out of business, either from lack of customers or arson.

The interior is very much traditional Supper Club with its low ceiling, dim lighting, and separate bar area.  Unfortunately I was centrally seated along the low wall that divides the dining room and just didn't have the angle a corner table gives.

Hey Mom...I'm filling up on breadsticks and you can't stop me!

Once again I started with onion soup, and this time I was completely happy with the browning of the cheese.  The Buckhorn's version is akin to what I remember from my youth: a rich, hearty broth with plenty of but not too many onions, a nice amount of croutons, and those crusty bits of cheese that peel away from the crock.

It was closing in on 7:30pm on the Sunday of a 3-day holiday weekend and I'd pretty much cashed in my chips, but still had enough left to take on this very good fried chicken, which was actually broasted and that does make a big difference.  Hot, crusty, and almost too juicy, I'd have to say that by a very narrow margin this was my favorite chicken of the weekend and if there was a disappointment it was that mashed potatoes weren't available and I had to have fries instead, although potatoes and gravy aren't usually a typical supper club item.

Unfortunately I can't remember my server's name (Angela?  Andrea?  Maybe something not even beginning with "A"?) but she did a great job by being cheerful, quick, and just right when it came to attentiveness.

And that's that.  3 days of fried chicken makes for a pretty good weekend!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5817
Re:Chicken of the Month 2015/08/09 15:49:37 (permalink)
CajunKing
Another good find Chicken Dude.
You should create a WI chicken trail

You are mistaken.  There is no good chicken in WI.  Stay the hell away.
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->