Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery

Author
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
2005/08/14 13:14:57 (permalink)

Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery

Do you think with todays society starting to eat healthier that fried chicken and bbq rib takeout and delivery,of course with great tasting fresh made food is still a viable business .The reason I ask this is I have been tossing the idea around in my head,and have been thinking about selling off all our equipment that is in storage(enough equipment to open atleast 2 fully equipped restaurants,Henny Penny pressure fryers,smokers,chargrills,holding cabinets,hoods,walkins etc,etc.)We owned such a place,and were pretty successful with it,and sold it due to the 2 hour commute each way everyday,after running a restaurant 15 hours a day.That was about 6 years ago,and since then I have been buying equipment to open another one but have gotten side tracked with 2 other non food businesses that I am involved in.I hate the idea of selling off our equipment,it took me a long time to buy it,and searched all over the country to find it.I just feel I have too many things to juggle now,and not sure if the Chicken Delight/ Chicken Galore type of place has past its prime.We loved running the place that we sold,and were so busy on Fridays and Saturdays that we sometimes almost could not handle it.We were loved in the town too,and a lot of people were upset that we sold it because they loved the food,especially having it delivered,and did not want us to sell since we became friends with many people in the town,but the commute was killing us.I was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were.I still think that a place like our old place would do great in many towns across the US if run the right way.Most area's that I know of you can mainly get pizza or chinese delivered,and a Chicken rib,and fried seafood ,10 flavors of wings plus all the side dishes fresh made and delivered would be a welcome change of pace.What do you think?
Jim

10 Replies Related Threads

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/18 00:10:27 (permalink)
    Great carry out ribs are hard to find in the midwest. I like the idea of rib take out on Fridays & Saturdays. It's a simple, successful formula that you know is tried & true. Forget those long week days and go for the busy weekends. That's the only time I sell hot dogs. Open at 4:00pm and close by 10:00pm or 11:00pm. No deliveries, let the customers come to you. There's a place like that in our city and the guy cleans up. He has a small restaurant with a bar, but does lots of carry outs. Two or three times a year, he takes two week vacations and posts when he's going to be closed. People can't wait for him to return and this keeps the peace with his regulars.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/18 11:55:34 (permalink)
    I'd eat at your restaurant and take my family with me~
    Do you think you can hire good people where you are now? The people that work in your restaurant REALLY make a difference to me.
    Delivery SOUNDS great, but we don't often order delivery food because the quality suffers...the fried chicken gets "not crispy anymore" etc..... but that's just MY family...

If you don't want to go for it again and run a place, see if you can geta a good couple or group of folks to take over and buy the business and all the collection of great equipment from you... alot of younger folks would love to start out, all well stocked and set up like that ,i think.....

festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/18 22:23:35 (permalink)
    Hi
    Thanks for the replies.It is true we made the majority of our income on Friday and Saturday nights,people like consistency and if they see you closed all week(except for Monday) it does affect sales.We were open for lunch and let me tell you lunch time delivery is insane,especially people who follow the standard lunch time time frame(12:00 to 1:00).We gained many of our dinner customers from our lunch crowd,and believe it or not we would deliver to some people at their place of business for lunch and they would order dinner at their homes the same day.One day we delivered to the same house 3 times(3 chubby little boys wo would do chores around the house for their mother for wings and Mozzarella sticks!Lol).I would have loved to do away with delivery,but we had very limited parking on a busy Main st.,and delivery was betweeen 80% to 90% of our business,people love the convenience of delivery.The key to keeping chicken crispy is to fry in pressure fryers,put it immediately in a heated holding cabinet,and put it in chicken to go buckets and containers with ventilated tops to let the steam escape which makes the chicken soggy.Of course you have to have speedy delivery too,which sometimes becomes a nitemare when its very busy.
    I also believe the people working in the restaurant make a huge difference,we were a family run business and we made friends with everybody,and went the extra yard all the time,giving away free 2 litres ,or slushy's for the whole family if the order was a little late.We treated the people who would run in last minute when we were closing like the most important people of the day(when was the last time that happened at a fast food place with employees running the place!,you get the "oh we're closed sorry!,or the infamous dirty look!" not us we made sure they left with fresh made food,even if it was an inconvenience.I think about selling the equipment,and might sell some on ebay and keep enough to open 1 place.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/19 09:04:56 (permalink)
    This is making me crave some Mom and Pop fried chicken at the moment.. Other then the chains, I know of only two decent places in town that offers the above. Seems most restaurants in town offer you pre-cooked frozen stuff... Guess it's time to haul out the cast iron pan, buttermilk, crisco and the splatter guard..

hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/19 11:59:33 (permalink)
    festival
    i wish you'd come open up your restaurant in my town!
    good luck in your decision!
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/20 11:16:35 (permalink)
    I hear ya UncleVic! There's nothing around here like that either!Where I grew up in NJ there was a Chicken Galore with great food that's still going strong for over 30 years.I really do miss our old place but the commute was killer.hefried,I wish there was one here.Let's see,if there was one I would order a 16 piece bucket of freshly battered golden fried crispy chicken,with mash potatoes and gravy,fresh coleslaw,a bucket of crisp crinkle cut fries,a rack of great BBQ ribs,a dozen crisp hot wings,a dozen Honey/hot wings,a large order of beer battered onion rings,and a dozen jumbo fried fantail shrimp! We got orders like that all night long on the weekends!I think it's time to get my priorities straight.Thanks again for the replies!
    Jim
    chef joe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/25 09:29:37 (permalink)
    Hello Jim, Yeah, I think any food take out business has a real good shot at making it, provided you give the customer something that no one else is offering to them and it's so good that you make them become addicted to the food. I'm down here on the west coast of Florida and am involved in many different aspects of the food business, through the years I've always been a Personal Chef and Caterer, but I keep it small, 8 to 20 people, at times if I know the person, I'll do something bigger, a wedding, themed party etc. for 150 - 200 people. Lately, the past two years, I began to drop off prepared meals, breakfast, lunch and dinners to various customers, well this has turned into a full time enterprise and I am now in a leased building and am in the process of turning it into a take out, free delivery, food business. My foods though are very varied, some of customers only want the South Beach Diet foods, some only eat seafood, etc. I sell a ton of soups and stews. Most of my work is oven
    and pan work though, not much frying. I do these chiken nuggets where I cut chix breast meat into thumb size pieces, dip them and roll them in cornflakes and deep fry them, serve them with asst.sauces. The kid's go wild over them and so do the adults. That one item alone takes care of a lot of my bills. Anyway, I think if you have a dream and think it out real well along with your family's input, then go for it. Always make sure that you are not in too deep where you can't walk away from it if it does not work so you don't get hurt too bad. I always keep my start up costs under 10gs that way I don't get too banged up if I have to bail out. Where are you located? Good Luck - Chef Joe!
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/26 07:15:50 (permalink)
    It sounds like you hit a home run Chef Joe,that's great! Some of the reasons I have not opened another place yet is lack of time and we are thinking of relocating.We currently live in Northeast PA,but I work mainly in NJ and NYC,and the winters are getting a little old ,our original place was in NJ were I grew up.I also owned a pizza place previous to the chicken ,rib and seafood place.I always kept my start up costs low too,by buying a place that was a restaurant originally(walk in coolers,up to code hood etc.) and with a good lease.I currently own 2 waymatic food concession trailers that I am almost finished refurbishing,and planned on using them this year,but the other things I am involved in are keeping me busy 6 to 7 days a week.I currently run a small demolition company that I am partners with(working partner,my time/his start up money) very wealthy friend of mine who owns multiple businesses(one of them being a $4 million dollar nite club restaurant/marina that he owns that can do upwards of $20,000 on a busy day/nite,I would not mind owning that place,but to him it is just another headache!I wish I had his problems!LOl!)I am also starting a kitchen exhaust hood / air duct cleaning business and have dumped a ton of money into that with the truck and equipment.I always had a hard time finding a competent hood cleaning service,usually the companies I dealt with sent out drunks or ex convicts,or were unreliable,so I started doing them my self,and printed up my own hood sticker.I plan on getting certified very soon which is a plus with the insurance companies and helps with marketing.So as you can see,my plate is a little full,and having recently turned 40,I want to pick one business and hit it hard,and enjoy life a little.How are things in FLA,it is one of the places we have been thinking about moving to,but after the hurricanes last year ,we are a little leary.Speaking of FLA,My plan B is to sell everything off,one giant sell off for about two months on Ebay,and move to Key west and be beach bums and bartend!Just kidding(sort of!),me and my fiance were both bartenders when we were younger and joke around about how much more carefree life was in those days.
    Good Luck to you too!and Thanks for the reply!
    Jim
    chef joe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/27 15:35:38 (permalink)
    Hey Jim, that's what me and my gang did 30 years ago, sold everything, jumped in an old truck and hit the road to sunny FLA. and never looked back. You remind me a lot of me. I had a cheesesteak joint down the Jersey shore for a coupole of years in North Wildwood and I was a bartender until I was in my 30's and I too am from PA, South Philly. I think that take out foods today is worth taking a shot at, not many people like to cook anymore, we are such a fast paced society. I notice in the super markets down here that there is usually a long line at the take out counter, sandwiches, chicken, etc.people like convenience and the way everyone works today, cooking can sometimes be a chore rather than an enjoyable experience. Last night we stopped in a place to take out a couple of sandwiches, the guy has 32 seats, but it is mostly take out and it's called "South Philly", it sits in a little strip mall, the place was packed, it always is, he had 9 employees working, sells, cheese steaks, fish n chips, personal pizzas, etc. Anyway, keep your head down and keep swinging - you never know what your gonna' hit. Chef Joe.
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chicken ,rib,and seafood takeout and delivery 2005/08/27 20:58:50 (permalink)
    That's funny,we do sound alot alike.Believe it or not I was going to do a cheesesteak place down the shore myself in the late 80's.It was a frozen yogurt joint that was across the street from the boardwalk in Seaside Heights,that was closed.I was close to doing it,but with equiping it for cooking and the pretty high lease considering you basically have a 3 month season down there,and if it is a rainy summer your S.O.L!I still think about doing something by the beach somewhere.I miss the ocean,I grew up a half hour from the ocean and practically lived down there during the summer.Living in PA the last 12 years,I haven't even smelled salt water in over 10 years! We are definately talking about relocating,and it looks like it might either be Florida or Vegas,I have relatives in Nevada and the Vegas area is booming,but no beach in Vegas!.I agree about the take out and delivery business,especially today with both the husband and wife working,a good take out place is a gold mine,but delivery is a pain in the a$$,especially when your really busy,but if you can handle it it is a money maker.I appreciate the words of encouragement,my biggest problem is figuring out the "ONE" thing I want to do,and hit it hard.Sometimes too many options can be as much as a curse as it is a blessing,but I appreciate having as many choices as I do have. Finding out that one thing to concentrate on is driving me nuts! I actually left out a few things that I have been involved in if you can believe it,even have done stand up comedy in NYC,but talk about a tough gig to make money in,I'll stick to food anyday as far as making money,but hopping up on stage in NYC on a packed Saturday night at a comedy club is a rush that's hard to compare anything to,just a very hard gig to make money with . Everybody and their brother is trying to "get discovered" in the city,I'll still do a few gigs this year,just hard to find the time.Gotta go,taking the little woman dancing tonite,and I'm getting the look to get the #$%@ off the computer! Have a good Night Chef Joe!
    Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1