Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6322
2008/02/24 08:57:38 (permalink)

Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken

My mom taught me decades ago to use a left over chicken carcas to make soup. You get two great meals for the price of one!
Well this works especially great with those $4.99 Costco rotisserie chickens. Boil it in water for a few hours and the broth with all those Costco spices is delicious. Had chicken last night, and today,on this cold day,we're having Chicken Noodle, ala Costco. We add the regular soup greens...and today we're adding little Italian meatballs to make our version of Italian Wedding Soup. With Crusty Italian bread it's a great meal for a cold...or anyday.

11 Replies Related Threads

DandyDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/02/24 16:34:13 (permalink)
    I can't agree with you more. Those chicken are huge for 4.99. Sometimes I buy their chicken for other dishes that call for cooked chicken. Have you tried Costco's chicken noodle soup? It is great, and packed with chicken in fact a lot of times I add extra stock to it then freeze some for later. All of their dinners are pretty. Have you tried their chicken salad made with rotisserie chicken...it's delish.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/02/24 16:54:14 (permalink)
    Another vote for chicken soup made with the carcass of a Costco rotisserie chicken. Absolutely delicious soup! If I'm not in a position to make the soup when I've eaten the chicken, I put the carcass in a freezer bag, freeze and use it later.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6322
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/02/25 05:48:28 (permalink)
    Yes, my Costco chicken soup yesterday was great.Love adding those meatballs> I think they make their soup and salads with their leftover chickens...but in our store,I doubt they have leftovers often!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/02/25 10:53:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DandyDog

I can't agree with you more. Those chicken are huge for 4.99. Sometimes I buy their chicken for other dishes that call for cooked chicken. Have you tried Costco's chicken noodle soup? It is great, and packed with chicken in fact a lot of times I add extra stock to it then freeze some for later. All of their dinners are pretty. Have you tried their chicken salad made with rotisserie chicken...it's delish.

I had their chicken salad in a sandwich for breakfast today, it's as good as it gets commercially and better than most "secret family recipe" chicken salad!
    doug_ua
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/02/25 11:05:32 (permalink)
    doesn't Costsco also sell Purdue Rotisserie chickens? Or maybe it is BJ's? I haven't had the Costco chicken? How do they compare? if I'm not mistaken, the Perdue chcikens are also $4.99 (compared to $7.99+ at the regular supermarkets), and they are quite tasty?
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/02/26 19:10:01 (permalink)
    Not Costco cause the nearest one to me is 60 miles but, Brookshires Italian Herb Rotisserie Chicken. I am making some right now. Each batch is different when I cook it. This pot has some garlic, Rotel tomatoes, a small can of tomato sauce, a can of chicken broth, a can of yellow homney, a can of corn, and a can of diced new potatoes. I know, allota canned stuff! Hey, I'm in a hurry, kids comin over. It's tastin pretty good so far. I am always trying to mess up a good thing though. Hmm, what else can I add???

I have used a Wall Mart Jalapeno Rotisserie Chicken also. No left overs last time I made that. I just started addin stuff and...
    joe
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/03/14 23:36:40 (permalink)
    We like the rotessiere chicken but I've balked at buying their chicken soup. It seems pricy to me for chicken soup. I do however make my own with the left over bird.

MikeS.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/03/15 07:25:18 (permalink)
    We are getting back to depression style cooking. Nothing was
    thrown out in those days. Today's chicken soup became tomorrow's
    soup-de-jour as table scraps and leftovers were added. It was a
    bottomless pot of great soup----even if it had no name.

Oh, by the way, there was no Costco back then and we cooked our
    own chicken from scratch--- and $4.99 was a day's pay if you were lucky.

Robearjr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/03/15 10:10:28 (permalink)
    I've been using the leftover dark meat to make a poor man's pate. Some mayo, cream cheese, shallots, dijon mustard, hot sauce and walnuts.

I hadn't thought about using the carcas for soup, probably because I'm not a big fan of chicken noodle. But I really should use it to make stocks. I'm always buying stock in the store, so I know I would use it.

Shara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/03/15 10:20:00 (permalink)
    I'll have to try the rotissere chicken soup. Sounds delish. I've been making stock from chicken carcasses, turkey carcasses (my favorite because the turkey stock seems especially rich to me). When we have ham, I make stock from the bone to use for bean soup, pea soup, even homemade tomato soup. Throwing out meat bones/carcasses is anathema to me. All that great stock is just waiting to be made! Every dish that calls for stock in the recipe tastes so much better when you use homemade stock.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Chicken soup made with Costco Chicken 2008/03/15 11:14:44 (permalink)
    Share, I love to make stock soup or stew also. I heard tha Las Vegas uses like a zillion pounds of bones every day.

I made a new batch of "Rotissere Soup" that ended up being tortilla soup. Why? Because it reminded me of tortilla soup, so I served it with Dortos on top. I made it like I said above, but added a can of beef broth, along with the can of chicken broth, and two cans or Rotel, one mild and one regular.

The ways to make this kind of soup are endless. And it's good. And... It's sooo easy!
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1