Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 57
AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Sun, 05/15/05 6:12 PM (permalink)
For me I hated:

Whoppers/ any crunchy malted milk candy
Necco Wafers
Raisonettes
Chunky
Zagnut
Those wax liquid filled bottles
The orange circus peanuts
That maple thing whatever it was

I loved (but don't each much sugar today):

Licorice (red and black)
Skybars
Red Hots
Lemon Heads
Marathon
Snickers
Jolly Ranchers
Charms Pops
Charms Blow Pops
Zero bars
Hot Balls (with the cool down rings)
Toblerone
Laffy Taffy
Pixie Stix
Snickers

I was the sugar buzzed child, though I did not get these things but every once in a while!

Andrea

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
    RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Sun, 05/15/05 6:26 PM (permalink)
    I loved Sportsman's Bracer, Nestles Crunch, Peter Paul Mounds, and Walnettos.

rpalmer1

• Total Posts: 55
      RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Sun, 05/15/05 6:49 PM (permalink)
      Always liked the little 'dots' on the paper. the candy neckless were good too.

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
        RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Mon, 05/16/05 9:14 PM (permalink)
        Gimmie more more more's!:

Bun -Maple flavored(first candy bar I remember having, sitting at my grandpa's feet as he blew smoke rings with his pipe)
        Hershey Bars
        Whoppers, Leaflets, etc
        Jolly Rancher(Grape ones still have an aphrodesiac property for me)
        Reese Cups(especially crumbled up in a chocolate milkshake)
        Charms lollipops
        Tootsie Rolls, Tootsie Roll pops
        Hershey Kisses
        Toblerone
        Junior Mints
        York Peppermints
        Andes Mints
        Zagnuts
        Smoothies
        Salt water Taffy
        Banana, Grape and Cherry Now or Laters
        Bonomo Turkish Taffy
        Grape, Banana or Cherry Bubble Gum
        Teaberry Gum
        another gum which the name escapes me......but was a white package, black lettering and a thin red stripe logo
        Fruit Stripe Gum
        Lemonheads
        Sarris chocolate covered pretzels, Chocolate covered cashews
        Anything from Fannie Farmer

Ickypoo's:
        Mounds or Almond joy
        Snickers
        Necco Wafers
        Red Hots
        Raisinets
        Any chocolate candy with fruit in it
        Chunkys
        Licorice of any kind
        Butterscotch Life Savers

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
          RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Mon, 05/16/05 10:35 PM (permalink)
          Never had a problem with candy. However.

I don't know what they were, and never really checked since. Every Easter, my parents would do up Easter baskets for all the kids, with the usuals -- chocolate animals, marshmallow chicks, jelly beans, chocolate eggs, and all the rest. But there was one I hated. I was sort of an oblong shaped thing with a smooth, hard sugar -- not toffee hard -- shell, resembling what I do not know, with some kind of firm, nasty marshmallow stuff inside. About 1.5-2 inches long. They would come in colors generally not found in nature. Not the big orange peanut things, which were soft, and could be squished up. My brothers and I would eat them out of obligation -- hey, candy is candy -- but they were the last to go.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
            RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Mon, 05/16/05 11:49 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by redtressed

another gum which the name escapes me......but was a white package, black lettering and a thin red stripe logo

Could you be thinking of Beemans?

AndreaB

RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Mon, 05/16/05 11:55 PM (permalink)
              Ho ha I think I remember that oblong Easter thing....it was kind of dry? And speaking of Easter I never liked those Peeps things either.
              But, the salt water taffy YES we always got it when we went to Florida! I think we got it in Georgia.

Andrea

Tony Bad

RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 12:38 AM (permalink)
                I loved goobers, milk duds, raisinettes, and sugar babies...or as my sister was fond of pointing out...candies that looked like turds.

Didn't like black licorice much.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                  RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 3:19 PM (permalink)
                  The worst: Bit o'Honey. Blech.

I loved Flicks -- they were a star-shaped candy I got at the movies. I don't think they were very good chocolate, looking back on it now, but I was enchanted by the starburst shape.

sizz_leteen

• Total Posts: 118
                    RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 6:33 PM (permalink)
                    I used to abhor caramel, and any candy bar with the stuff in it (Snickers, Caramilk, Mr. Big, etc.). Mr. Big is one of my favourite chocolate bars now. I'd kill for one at the moment.
                    I also hated Wonka's SweeTarts, but love them now.

AndreaB

RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 6:45 PM (permalink)
                      I forgot about Bit'o'Honey and blechh to that. Favorites I've forgotten were Sugar Daddys and Sugar Babies & the Nestle's Crunch and those gel things you'd get at the movies that practically ripped your teeth out! And, hot tamales and good and fruity.

AndreaB

RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 6:46 PM (permalink)
                        I forgot about Bit'o'Honey and blechh to that. Favorites I've forgotten were Sugar Daddys and Sugar Babies & the Nestle's Crunch and those gel things you'd get at the movies that practically ripped your teeth out! And, hot tamales and good and fruity.

Andrea

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                          RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 7:09 PM (permalink)
                          Loved:
                          Clark Bars
                          Coconut Slice
                          Boston Baked Beans
                          Uno bars
                          Tom's Divinity
                          Gold Rush Gum
                          Turtles (for Christmas)
                          Flicks
                          Circus Peanuts
                          White chocolate stars
                          Red licorice laces
                          The candy lipstick that had the consistency of dry clay

Hated:
                          Black licorice (still do)
                          Bit O Honey (used to hurt my throat)
                          Walnettos
                          Necco Wafers (chalk anyone?)
                          Peeps

Michelle Wiedemann

• Total Posts: 125
                            RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 7:29 PM (permalink)
                            Nobody has mentioned the most hated/loved halloween candy "Wax lips and wax fangs" Tasted good until you actually chewed them! All of the bits of wax stuck in your teeth! I remember we would have dares on how many we could stash in our mouths at one time:) I buy those for my youngest and fear for the drool puddle!

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
                              RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 7:29 PM (permalink)
                              [quote}Posted - 05/16/2005 : 23:55:01
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ho ha I think I remember that oblong Easter thing....it was kind of dry? And speaking of Easter I never liked those Peeps things either.
                              But, the salt water taffy YES we always got it when we went to Florida! I think we got it in Georgia.

Andrea
                              Dry and nasty. That's the one. And the Peeps things -- this past Easter season I was in a shop that had them out for customers.... I remember them as being better.... Sigh.

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
                                RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                How about first loved and then hated candy? When I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade, pigged out (ate four or five packages) on something called Malo Cups--sort of like Reese's peanut butter cups but with a marshmellow nouget-y filling. Got sick as a dog and haven't been able to even think about them in all the yrs since!

QFan
                                Bonita Springs, FL

Salustra

• Total Posts: 510
                                  RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Pwingsx

I loved Flicks -- they were a star-shaped candy I got at the movies. I don't think they were very good chocolate, looking back on it now, but I was enchanted by the starburst shape.

Me, too!

Tony Bad

RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

The worst: Bit o'Honey. Blech.

The thing I recall most about flicks was that the name was printed in block letters...all capitals...FLICKS...and if one held the package with their finger strategically placed over the small gap between the L and I...it looked like a "U" rather than "LI". Yes, I was(am?) a simpleton, but I entertained myself pretty good!

AndreaB

RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/17/05 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by QFan

How about first loved and then hated candy? When I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade, pigged out (ate four or five packages) on something called Malo Cups--sort of like Reese's peanut butter cups but with a marshmellow nouget-y filling. Got sick as a dog and haven't been able to even think about them in all the yrs since!

I loved Mallo Cups, especially when they were warm and melty.
                                      But, I can imagine one would get quite sick after pigging out on them because they were so rich. I never got sick from candy as a child, but there were times when I sure flew high from the sugar.

Andrea

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                        • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                        RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Wed, 05/18/05 5:24 PM (permalink)
                                        Shame on you, Tony! To take my lovely nostalgic childhood memory and just stomp it in the dirt. Oh, the humanity.

Funny that I never even thought of it, and I would've been at the right age to find that funny, too. I think I was brought up very sheltered *eyelashes fluttering*.

Actually, I fear I was just ignurnt.

txtwister

• Total Posts: 259
                                          RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Wed, 05/18/05 7:51 PM (permalink)
                                          My alltime favorite was "FunDip" - the one that had a "dipping stick" that you licked and put in this koolaid/sugar/pixie stix tasting powder. The best part was the white stick that tasted like... Well, huh. Like the white dipping stick, I guess.

I also loved going to my Aunt Bess and Uncle Nash's house at Christmas-time because they put out the gooooooooooood ribbon candy. It's one of my own traditions now, to always have a huge bowl of misc. Brach's candies out during the holidays.

Tony Bad

RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Wed, 05/18/05 7:56 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

Shame on you, Tony! To take my lovely nostalgic childhood memory and just stomp it in the dirt. Oh, the humanity.

Funny that I never even thought of it, and I would've been at the right age to find that funny, too. I think I was brought up very sheltered *eyelashes fluttering*.

Actually, I fear I was just ignurnt.

I guess it would be appropriate for me to add that I didn't think of this on my own. Someone else showed me, and I probably repeated it for a while before I even knew what it meant. I too was a bit of an innocent as a kid. You weren't ignurnt, you were blessed! Now I think too many kids know too many things too soon!

sizz_leteen

• Total Posts: 118
                                              RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Thu, 05/19/05 9:41 PM (permalink)
                                              I forgot about how much I hated Cadbury Cream Eggs when I was little. I love them now, though I prefer the Cadbury's Dream Egg and Cadbury's Truffle Egg varieties.
                                              As for loved first then hated candy, I don't think I have any. I don't eat candy often enough to get sick on it. Although I got sick after eating a Chips Ahoy! ice cream sandwich once, and haven't touched an ice cream sandwich of any kind since then.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1084
                                                RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Fri, 05/20/05 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                                Loved: Three Musketeers. That's my number one candy, then and now. I think I'd rather have Three Musketeers than anything. That'd be on the top ten list of things to take to a deserted island. Kit Kat Bars are wonderful! Twix, too. I also loved Milky Way, candy corn, those candy corn-type pumpkins, and absolutely kept my dentist busy for my love of Pixy Stix and Lik'M'Ade. Ever chip a tooth on these?

Actively dislike(d): Anything where chocolate and peanuts are mixed together. That to me is a waste of chocolate, to mix it with a nut. Also it doesn't taste good to me. Please do not gasp in shock; it's only my opinion! I also DETEST anything with coconut in it! Almond Joy, Peter Paul Mounds, whatever, don't ever offer me that. I would rather go crazy from lack of chocolate than eat any sort of chocolate with nuts, marshmallows or coconut. I also don't like those chocolate covered jellies, Necco Wafers (aren't they gray? Who eats gray candy?), Mary Jane, Bit O Honey (why did my father bring those two candies home all the time? And who ate them in our house?). Detested Chunky (ever hear about people finding worms inside 'em? That was one reason!), black licorice (ew), particularly Bridge Mix. Bridge Mix is foul! I can't even hold onto red licorice for too long.

Tony - your little story about Flicks reminded me of something "obscene" that people (my peers as a young teen) used to do with an outside gum wrapper and I can't remember which gum, but they would fold it in such a way that the spelling would change into something giggle-worthy among us kids. Pretty sure it was a Wrigley product. Oh, and I also was never a gum-chewer; I just have never liked gum. If I must have it because I ate something that would be offensive, I can only chew half a stick and then only for a very short time because I start to gag from it. Crazy but true.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                                  RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Fri, 05/20/05 8:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  NOT REALLY a candy, but I miss it...

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
                                                    RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Sat, 05/21/05 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                                    Loved licorice Snaps,
                                                    hard to find here in DFW area Peanut Butter Kisses a halloween treat in orange & black wrapping, and my favorite, Cadbury Eggs.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                                                      RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 05/24/05 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                                      Loved:
                                                      BBBats
                                                      Kits
                                                      Mary Janes
                                                      Bonomo's
                                                      Licorice wheels w/ a jawbreaker in the center
                                                      peanut flavor salt water taffy
                                                      Jujyfruit
                                                      Curtiss Safe-T-Pops
                                                      Fleer Double Bubble gum
                                                      Zero bars (3¢!)
                                                      Bosco
                                                      Hated:
                                                      Maple anything
                                                      Necco's other than chocolate
                                                      Some English predecessor to Twix whose name I've forgotten
                                                      Violets
                                                      Dark chocolate (boy have I done a 180º spin on that one)
                                                      gumball gum
                                                      candy necklaces and lipstick
                                                      Ovaltine (but I drank it to get my Captain Midnight decoder badge)

Crimsicle

• Total Posts: 11
                                                        RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Thu, 06/2/05 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                        Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane. I had a paper route and every day we stopped at the corner mom and pop store and spent part of the profits. This was late fifties.

Loves:

BBBats
                                                        Kits
                                                        Big Hunk
                                                        Cherry Mash
                                                        Pixy Stix
                                                        Sugar Babies and Sugar Daddies
                                                        Plain ol’ Kraft Caramels (still keep ‘em on hand)
                                                        Wax whistles at Halloween
                                                        Peanut Butter Taffy Kisses - also a Halloween treat
                                                        Cinnamon toothpicks – do they count?
                                                        That weird striped taffy in a lonnng, wide sheet.
                                                        Candy cigarettes – licked on the end to make the red darker and licked and twirled into a point on the other end - so you could poke your brother with them. It HURT! :))
                                                        Bit-o-Honey – can’t BELIEVE you people don’t love it…I still stock up on it for road trips!

Hates

Boston Baked Beans
                                                        Good & Plenty
                                                        Anything else licorice, including “red licorice”
                                                        Necco wafers – BLEAH…how are they still in business?
                                                        Anything coconut
                                                        Anything hard, including Lifesavers, butterscotch disks, lollipops, etc.

Candy Gal

• Total Posts: 1
                                                          • Location: Fresno, CA
                                                          RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Fri, 06/3/05 12:34 AM (permalink)
                                                          Update for the Flicks candy lovers: Flicks Candy is back! Their website is: www.FlicksCandy.com

I ordered some Flicks from the Vermont Country Store. They are so good, just as I remembered!

What a treat to eat Flicks again!

nancybel

• Total Posts: 1
                                                            • Location: Woodhaven, NY
                                                            RE: Childhood Candy you Hated/Loved? Tue, 06/7/05 11:48 PM (permalink)
                                                            Before Nestle bought it out, what was the name if the original company to make Goobers and Raisinets?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 57

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com