The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Chili Dogs

Calliope

• Total Posts: 4
Chili Dogs Sun, 07/11/04 6:47 PM (permalink)
Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade hot dog chili? I saw a Food 911 where Tyler made some with only onion, hamburger, ketchup, mustard and chili powder, but that seems fairly basic. It may be the best way to go, though - that's what I'm wondering - does anyone have a really great hot dog chili recipe? Thanks!

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
    RE: Chili Dogs Sun, 07/11/04 8:10 PM (permalink)
    Why not use your favorite homemade chili recipe substituting fine-ground beef for the usual coarse-ground and tomato sauce for any chunky tomatoes (and of course, leaving out any beans)? That way, you would have the flavor that you already love!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Chili Dogs Mon, 07/12/04 11:23 PM (permalink)
      There's so many recipes out there... Enough to make your head spin! ha ha... I've tried alot of the clone recipes, which never come out like I remember, then I've even bought some pre-packaged spices off E-bay, which I found fairly disgusting... Like who would add Nutmeg to their spice mix?? Well, as I've traveled the last couple months, I find southern Chili Sauce (Spanish as they call it) has tons of Nutmeg in them... So it becomes more of a regional taste... Not my tastes, but I didnt dare argue it with the southenrs! My suggestion is take a pound of decent ground chuck, brown it, drain it, then add some garlic (my taste), a couple tablespoons of Chili Powder, some fine chopped onion, Tomato Sauce large can, add some water and let it simmer several hours...(Longer you simmer it, the finer it will become). Then use your tastes to balance what you feel is missing (pepper, salt, nutmeg?, Mustard, dried minced onions, ketchup, Chili Beans (pureed), cumin, etc, etc...)... Your not the first to ask about making a chili sauce... I think I'll make up a PDF file of the recipes I have and email it to anyone that asks! (If you have one, email it to me and I'll toss it in the mix)..

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com