Chili Dogs

Author
Calliope
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2004/07/11 18:47:53 (permalink)

Chili Dogs

Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade hot dog chili? I saw a Food 911 where Tyler made some with only onion, hamburger, ketchup, mustard and chili powder, but that seems fairly basic. It may be the best way to go, though - that's what I'm wondering - does anyone have a really great hot dog chili recipe? Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Chili Dogs 2004/07/11 20:10:54 (permalink)
    Why not use your favorite homemade chili recipe substituting fine-ground beef for the usual coarse-ground and tomato sauce for any chunky tomatoes (and of course, leaving out any beans)? That way, you would have the flavor that you already love!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Chili Dogs 2004/07/12 23:23:00 (permalink)
    There's so many recipes out there... Enough to make your head spin! ha ha... I've tried alot of the clone recipes, which never come out like I remember, then I've even bought some pre-packaged spices off E-bay, which I found fairly disgusting... Like who would add Nutmeg to their spice mix?? Well, as I've traveled the last couple months, I find southern Chili Sauce (Spanish as they call it) has tons of Nutmeg in them... So it becomes more of a regional taste... Not my tastes, but I didnt dare argue it with the southenrs! My suggestion is take a pound of decent ground chuck, brown it, drain it, then add some garlic (my taste), a couple tablespoons of Chili Powder, some fine chopped onion, Tomato Sauce large can, add some water and let it simmer several hours...(Longer you simmer it, the finer it will become). Then use your tastes to balance what you feel is missing (pepper, salt, nutmeg?, Mustard, dried minced onions, ketchup, Chili Beans (pureed), cumin, etc, etc...)... Your not the first to ask about making a chili sauce... I think I'll make up a PDF file of the recipes I have and email it to anyone that asks! (If you have one, email it to me and I'll toss it in the mix)..
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1