Chili Scandal

Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
  • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
  • Location: Round Rock, TX
  • Status: offline
2003/11/04 09:18:53 (permalink)

Chili Scandal

Think Texans aren't serious about chili

This was the TOP story in the Austin American-Statesman this morning:

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/metro/kelso/1103/110403.html
#1

26 Replies Related Threads

    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    • Joined: 2003/03/07 08:23:00
    • Location: Sumter, SC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 09:47:42 (permalink)
    Egads !!! What is this world coming too !!!
    #2
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
    • Location: New Paltz, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 09:56:48 (permalink)
    So much for the expertise of judges and critics of our foods. If it tastes good it is good, regardless of the experts!
    #3
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 10:20:25 (permalink)
    "It's bad, it's true traitorism, but it had to be from another country — which is Illinois....
    We've got to set up guards on the border to make sure he never comes back."


    If he does, me and Bushie are gonna find a tall tree and a short rope.
    #4
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 11:33:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

    So much for the expertise of judges and critics of our foods. If it tastes good it is good, regardless of the experts!

    Ain't that the truth?!


    And Lone Star, I've got this area covered, if you'll keep an eye out and make sure the varmint doesn't try to sneak back in through Looosiana. There are some pretty shady characters over in them parts that would no doubt provide safe harbor to this rascal.
    #5
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
    • Location: Abita Springs, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 11:45:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

    So much for the expertise of judges and critics of our foods. If it tastes good it is good, regardless of the experts!

    Ain't that the truth?!


    And Lone Star, I've got this area covered, if you'll keep an eye out and make sure the varmint doesn't try to sneak back in through Looosiana. There are some pretty shady characters over in them parts that would no doubt provide safe harbor to this rascal.


    We would never protect outright cheaters, we send em to Texas. After all, one of our former governors and two of our former insurance commissioners are currently residents of some of your finest federal pens (the last three insurance commissioners have gone to jail" />).

    On the other hand, I believe that we would offer safe harbor to the guy who was pilloried for putting "canned beans" in his chili. But I ask you, residents of the Lone Star State, what was his offense? Was it the use of beans (and we all know how willing I am to defend that controversial culinary technique) or was it the fact that the beans were canned? Frankly, with all of our other dining delights, we have plenty of room for a man vending a good bowl of red and would be delighted to have him as a new resident of the Sportsman's Paradise

    "Higgins said this wasn't the first time funny business has occurred at the Terlingua chili cookoff. He says four or five years ago somebody won the accompanying bean cookoff with — say it isn't so — canned beans."

    #6
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 12:07:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man


    We would never protect outright cheaters, we send em to Texas. After all, one of our former governors and two of our former insurance commissioners are currently residents of some of your finest federal pens (the last three insurance commissioners have gone to jail" />).

    On the other hand, I believe that we would offer safe harbor to the guy who was pilloried for putting "canned beans" in his chili. But I ask you, residents of the Lone Star State, what was his offense? Was it the use of beans (and we all know how willing I am to defend that controversial culinary technique) or was it the fact that the beans were canned?
    "Higgins said this wasn't the first time funny business has occurred at the Terlingua chili cookoff. He says four or five years ago somebody won the accompanying bean cookoff with — say it isn't so — canned beans."

    We just put our former Attorney General in the slammer.

    Actually, Mayhaw, the "canned bean" offense wasn't about beans being put IN chili. (Under CASI rules, chili with beans can't even be judged.)

    In many chili cookoffs, they also have a separate bean contest. That's what happened with this guy. He entered canned beans in the Bean Contest, and won. " /> You would think the judges would notice something like that, wouldn't ya?
    #7
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
    • Location: Abita Springs, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 12:42:32 (permalink)

    Actually, Mayhaw, the "canned bean" offense wasn't about beans being put IN chili. (Under CASI rules, chili with beans can't even be judged.)



    Perhaps someday someone in Texas will wake up and realize just what they have been missing out on. Util that time we here at the "Bean Lovers in Chili Association of All of the Americas except Texas"(BLCAAT) will be working hard to educate the public on the tasty and aromatic delights of that noble legume
    #8
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6825
    • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 13:32:19 (permalink)
    Lookout, Mayhaw, you're gonna start a war here. Remember that comment about the tall tree and the short rope! This could get ugly .
    Since I'm already here and talkin about beans, I asked Bushie on an earlier thread how to cook beans "his way". Well I did just that last night and they were absolutely delicious. Y'all should try them.
    I suppose those of you in the Outside don't know what us Alaskans say about Texas. "Why, that little bitty 'ol state down there?!!"
    #9
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 14:15:03 (permalink)
    grrrrrrrrr
    #10
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 14:57:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

    I suppose those of you in the Outside don't know what us Alaskans say about Texas. "Why, that little bitty 'ol state down there?!!"

    I've always been told that size doesn't matter.



    Also, lleechef, I'm glad to hear the beans turned out good!
    #11
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
    • Location: Abita Springs, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 15:14:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

    I suppose those of you in the Outside don't know what us Alaskans say about Texas. "Why, that little bitty 'ol state down there?!!"

    I've always been told that size doesn't matter.



    Also, lleechef, I'm glad to hear the beans turned out good!


    Ugghh Bushie....this size thing.....do you find yourself discussing it often? Texans are so sensitive about that stuff
    #12
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 15:37:22 (permalink)
    Maybe we should secede.
    #13
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
    • Location: Abita Springs, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 15:52:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

    Maybe we should secede.


    If I am not mistaken you do have that option, thanks to the forthought of your Founding Fathers, but you would have to split into five states. If that happens, it looks like a pretty good deal for everybody (ten senators, a bazillion congressmen, 5 state legislatures (now THAT would be some fun, they could just run from state to state avoiding work and the inevitable)) but I have always wondered what would happen to Amarillo? Does Oklahoma get them? They do have Pantex, so I suppose they could do whatever they want given their nuclear capability.
    #14
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
    • Location: Natchitoches, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 15:59:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

    Originally posted by Bushie
    I've always been told that size doesn't matter.




    Ugghh Bushie....this size thing.....do you find yourself discussing it often? Texans are so sensitive about that stuff

    Bushie, you needn't worry about your fella getting past the LA border: as soon as you left here the last time we doubled up on guards and offer a bounty. Re the size business, where there's haze there's an ember!
    #15
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
    • Location: Abita Springs, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 16:00:58 (permalink)
    Incidentally, for those of you that think I am just an anti Texan Louisiana, you are wrong, I am just entertaining myself. My greatgrandfather was a senator in the Texas legislature at the turn of the 20th century (3 terms)and the first degreed Medical Doctor in Cass County. He and his four brothers left Texas with General Hood (Hoods 1st, Co. D) to go see about that trouble with our Northern neighbors My mother's entire family with the exception of myself and one brother live there. So I think Texans are OK, just easy to rile.

    I kind of see this thread as an electronic anthill that I can't resist poking.

    #16
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 16:29:15 (permalink)
    We do have that right, and every 10 years or so some person (usually a hermit like person way out in some compound in West Texas) will get a riled up and try to get it done.

    On a civil war note - I was cleaning out a closet the other day and came across my great-great grandfathers diary he kept while in the civil war. I cannot think right now of what outfit he was with, but he and his son went together. They spent most of their time in Lousiana and were captured by the Yankees somewhere around Monroe. Father's diary was mostly like bookeeping - apparently they would work some along the way building chickencoops and digging post holes. Seems that the going rate was a dollar a day, three for an entire chickencoop. His son's diary was narrative, describing officers and manuevers and their capture and eventual exchange somewhere on the Red River. His accounts ends with "We made it home alright except for Father's bruised hip".

    edited cause I can't spell
    #17
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 17:00:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

    Ugghh Bushie....this size thing.....do you find yourself discussing it often? Texans are so sensitive about that stuff

    I think those gals were just trying to make me feel better.

    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

    as soon as you left here the last time we doubled up on guards and offer a bounty. Re the size business, where there's haze there's an ember!

    Rick, does this mean I'm gonna hafta SNEAK back in?? (And just what's this business about an EMBER?!! )
    #18
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 17:03:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

    On a civil war note - I was cleaning out a closet the other day and came across my great-great grandfathers diary he kept while in the civil war. I cannot think right now of what outfit he was with, but he and his son went together. They spent most of their time in Lousiana and were captured by the Yankees somewhere around Monroe. Father's diary was mostly like bookeeping - apparently they would work some along the way building chickencoops and digging post holes. Seems that the going rate was a dollar a day, three for an entire chickencoop. His son's diary was narrative, describing officers and manuevers and their capture and eventual exchange somewhere on the Red River. His accounts ends with "We made it home alright except for Father's bruised hip".

    How COOL!!! What a treasure!
    #19
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
    • Location: Abita Springs, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 17:05:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

    We do have that right, and every 10 years or so some person (usually a hermit like person way out in some compound in West Texas) will get a riled up and try to get it done.

    On a civil war note - I was cleaning out a closet the other day and came across my great-great grandfathers diary he kept while in the civil war. I cannot think right now of what outfit he was with, but he and his son went together. They spent most of their time in Lousiana and were captured by the Yankees somewhere around Monroe. Father's diary was mostly like bookeeping - apparently they would work some along the way building chickencoops and digging post holes. Seems that the going rate was a dollar a day, three for an entire chickencoop. His son's diary was narrative, describing officers and manuevers and their capture and eventual exchange somewhere on the Red River. His accounts ends with "We made it home alright except for Father's bruised hip".

    edited cause I can't spell


    Wow. I will stop making fun of you (not really).I would dearly love to see that diary. Has it ever been documented? There is an exhibit going on right now at that wonderful new museum in Austin about the Civil War and Texas (not that I am face dropping, but those five guys on the cover of the flyer for the exhibit with those crazy beaver felt stovepipe hats with the gold stars are my great grandfather and his four brothers (one of whom died at Sharpsburg and the other at Little Round Top)).

    Did he keep it throughout Louisiana? Is there such a thing as a xerox copy. You really should get someone to take a look at it. That was a hellish campaign that actually came to a draw. The North got full control of eastern Louisiana but never got a good grip on Western Louisiana or any of Texas (although they effectively blockaded the whole of Texas by blocking off Galveston and Corpus.
    #20
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 17:16:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

    There is an exhibit going on right now at that wonderful new museum in Austin about the Civil War and Texas (not that I am face dropping, but those five guys on the cover of the flyer for the exhibit with those crazy beaver felt stovepipe hats with the gold stars are my great grandfather and his four brothers (one of whom died at Sharpsburg and the other at Little Round Top)).

    Really???? Wow! Is that at the Bob Bullock museum? I looked on their website and didn't see anything about that. Is it at another museum??
    #21
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 17:20:32 (permalink)
    Darn right they didn't get into Texas. Until reconstruction, and that is a another sad story in itself.

    I would be happy to send you a copy, Mayhaw. We have never had it documented, it is just one of the many old letters and diaries my grandmother saved. I believe it documents the time they spent in LA til they went home to Burnett.

    During the reconstruction, my family lost all of its cotton and subsequently the land in Burnett co.that had been granted by the Mexican government, and the additional land granted after the war for Texas independence.
    #22
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
    • Location: Abita Springs, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 19:28:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

    There is an exhibit going on right now at that wonderful new museum in Austin about the Civil War and Texas (not that I am face dropping, but those five guys on the cover of the flyer for the exhibit with those crazy beaver felt stovepipe hats with the gold stars are my great grandfather and his four brothers (one of whom died at Sharpsburg and the other at Little Round Top)).

    Really???? Wow! Is that at the Bob Bullock museum? I looked on their website and didn't see anything about that. Is it at another museum??


    Yes it is, for most of last year as you came in at one of the really nice welcome stations in Texas (as opposed to the free coffee and handy roadmaps you get coming into our little tourist mecca) there was a handout that had my folks on the cover. I emailed them a minute ago to find out if there is any of it online. It is a very cool picture, taken in New Orleans at a photo studio before they got on a ship to run the blockade up to Hampton Roads. The survivors were actually at Appomatox (as were all of the surviving 7 divisions of Hood's army) and we have some great letters my g grandfather wrote on what sounds like a very pleasant and winding way back to east texas (stops in Chattanooga, Birmingham, New Orleans (where he got lined up for medical school at the University of Louisiana (now Tulane and my Dad has the sheepskin on the wall in his law office, it is really cool). He later became the director of the Confederate Veterans home in Austin and a state senator. I believe the Vet's home became the Texas School for the Deaf and is still standing.

    I will email you Lonestar, as I would really like to see it. Incidentally, Hillsboro College in Fort Worth is the Government Depository for all records of the COnfederate army and if you are interested, your relatives war records and discharge papers (along with signed loyalty oath) is probably available and make a really nice thing to have.
    #23
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    • Joined: 2003/04/09 22:48:00
    • Location: Athens, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 23:00:49 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Springfield? I'm surprised he didn't just submit canned Ray's Chilli. It's made right down the way. Plus, there's another good one from Collinsville, over close to St. Louis.
    Chilli-cothically, Ort. Carlton in I'll-Take-Beans-In-Mine,-Thanks,-Pard Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. The only problem with beans in chilli, Mayhaw Man, in spite of the fact that I prefer them in, is that one's friends tend to desert one a couple of hours after eating a copious quantity thereof.
    Hmmm... has anyone substituted lima beans in their chili? That would reduce the flatulence quotient by at least a small measure and eliminate what I refer to as "Blazing-Saddles-campfire-scene syndrome."
    #24
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    • Joined: 2003/07/05 09:59:00
    • Location: Abita Springs, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 23:33:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

    P. S. The only problem with beans in chilli, Mayhaw Man, in spite of the fact that I prefer them in, is that one's friends tend to desert one a couple of hours after eating a copious quantity thereof.
    Hmmm... has anyone substituted lima beans in their chili? That would reduce the flatulence quotient by at least a small measure and eliminate what I refer to as "Blazing-Saddles-campfire-scene syndrome."


    Ort,
    Who needs friends when you have beans? Beans are your friends.
    #25
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
    • Location: Natchitoches, LA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/04 23:54:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.As soon as you left here the last time we doubled up on guards and started offering a bounty. Re the size business, where there's haze there's an ember!
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie. Rick, does this mean I'm gonna hafta SNEAK back in?? (And just what's this business about an EMBER?!! )

    Ember? Sometimes us clerical types remember a little about that Freud fella, and some analogies come to mind. Should I have said, "Where there's a Texan you can find a baby snake."? Re-entry shouldn't be a problem. Just tell the guards Father Flynn said it was okay and they'll issue you a 3-day pass. You'll need to report in every eight hours, though. Around the clock.
    #26
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5421
    • Joined: 2003/07/01 01:25:00
    • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
    • Status: offline
    RE: Chili Scandal 2003/11/07 01:22:42 (permalink)
    Like my oldest Uncle, a native die hard Texan once said, to me; "BOY, CHILI AIN'T GOT NO DAMN BEANS IN IT!"

    Sorry Unc, but I like pintos in mine.

    MikeS.
    #27
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1