The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period.

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 92
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17853
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 11:48 AM (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Typically, in Cincinnati, you'd order a "4 way onion" rather than a "4 way with onion"

But said either way, you'd still get the same thing, so its all good

Are there any non-chain Cincinnati-style chili eateries in Columbus, ancient one? 

If there are any non-chain places around here I'm not aware of them. Some years back Gold Star had a couple of places in town. I have two Skylines within two miles of my home.

Big_g

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 2:54 PM (permalink)
    fam5will

I love it. Some hodad from Tennessee talking smack about chili. Priceless.

Thats a retired Texan, currently living in East TN...who knows how to cook some chili.

Davwud

• Total Posts: 504
      Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 3:09 PM (permalink)
      buffetbuster

TJ-
      We had the six way with jalapeno slices at Blue Ash Chili.

For what it's worth, the jalapenos at Blue Ash are battered and fried.
      http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...incinnati-classic.html
      Picture #4 shows a 6 Way from Blue Ash.

DT

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
        Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 4:46 PM (permalink)
        What about that East Tennessee special called the "Chile Bun" Don't recall that having beans but as it was never one of my favorites I'm not sure. A few spoons of chili on a plain hamburger roll.

CLVdog

• Total Posts: 53
          Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 5:50 PM (permalink)
          Yeah traditional chili is without beans but lots of places include them and not all are hot,or from Texas and most tend to be sweet. I love them all and don't need no Filet Mingon or whatever to tell me its OK or not. Good is good !!!!!!!!!

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
            Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 7:03 PM (permalink)
            There is a special place in Hell for the people who put beans in Chili. Right next to the people who use Miracle Whip, and Ketchup on a Hot Dog....Russ

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
              Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 7:18 PM (permalink)
              Russ Jackson

There is a special place in Hell for the people who put beans in Chili. Right next to the people who use Miracle Whip, and Ketchup on a Hot Dog....Russ

That's heavy, Russ. Even though I agree with you, that's still very heavy!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 7:18 PM (permalink)
                ...and Kraft Parmesan Cheese!

CLVdog

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 7:22 PM (permalink)
                  That special place is taking foods for how they taste. Im not trying to start an argument but just saying that its all good.

Twinwillow

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 8:16 PM (permalink)
                    CCinNJ

...and Kraft Parmesan Cheese!

Parmesan cheese?

CCinNJ

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 8:27 PM (permalink)
                      Sad...but true.

CLVdog

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 8:29 PM (permalink)
                        Kraft Parmesan cheese in chili is even strange for me - but whatever floats your boat !

CCinNJ

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 8:33 PM (permalink)
                          Nooooooo...I pray for those that use it on anything.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                            Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 9:03 PM (permalink)
                            Eye of the beholder, folks. Eye of the beholder...

Twinwillow

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Sun, 10/7/12 9:17 PM (permalink)
                              CCinNJ

Nooooooo...I pray for those that use it on anything.

I shall have to light a candle for these people in hopes of cleansing their souls. 
                              You mean to say, they've never heard of sharp, shredded cheddar? Or, 24-36 month aged Reggiano Parmesan? Tch, tch.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9581
                                Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 1:11 AM (permalink)

This is what Cincinnati Chili looks like

<message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 10/8/12 1:12 AM>

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                                  Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 8:31 AM (permalink)
                                  Russ Jackson

I have to laugh at this as well, Russ

There is plenty of room in the definition of chili for all kinds of variants, most certainly including "with beans" and "without beans"

TJ Jackson

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 8:42 AM (permalink)
                                    Foodbme

actually, - thats what a three-way looks like

(I say this in full but sad realization that I have just set up someone to post an entirely different picture of what a three-way looks like, one that will probably not include chili )

The right hand side of the pic below shows a bowl of unadorned Cincinnati style chili. 

You will most often see it topped off with something - cheese, sour cream, onions, or oyster crackers being the most common toppings

eruby

• Total Posts: 587
                                      • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 8:57 AM (permalink)
                                      senor boogie woogie

Yup. Chili has beans. No beans, it isn't chili. It is meat sauce. That is what makes chili, chili, the beans. I cant believe the people on here who eschew the one thing that makes chili, chili. No beans, why bother?

Chili has beans or it ain't chili. Period. You Texan meat sauce makers don't know ****. (that is with an S of course, you can figure the rest. Please meat sauce makers, don't pass your crap as chili, go execute another illegal alien and let the real cooks abide.
                                      And a Martini can only have Gin. No Gin, it isn't a Martini.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                        Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                        TJ Jackson

Russ Jackson

I have to laugh at this as well, Russ

There is plenty of room in the definition of chili for all kinds of variants, most certainly including "with beans" and "without beans"

There is plenty of room in hell as well. This reminds me of the roadfood commandments I once posted. And this clearly is stated in the 12th Commandment.
                                        http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/My-13-Commandments-of-Food-Do-you-Agree-m352254.aspx

CCinNJ

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                          I'm happy that sour cream is an acceptable addition.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 11:47 AM (permalink)
                                            Sour cream is an acceptable -- and required -- addition to cheese blintzes and latkes.

It's also pretty good with cottage cheese and lots of freshly grouond black pepper.

TJ Jackson

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                              Russ Jackson

There is plenty of room in hell as well. This reminds me of the roadfood commandments I once posted. And this clearly is stated in the 12th Commandment.
                                              http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/My-13-Commandments-of-Food-Do-you-Agree-m352254.aspx

Nah. 

Most of those commandments are siimple intolerance of the views/tastes of others, which is in direct opposition with the overall mission of Roadfood.

Roadfood = praise for regional differences in foods

Your "rules" = mostly (I think most of us can agree with the "no double dipping" rule) intolerance for differences in foods, including (in this case) regional ones

I don't like some of these things either, but that doesn't mean I command others not to like them

Michael Hoffman

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                                I've not read any rules, but I do command that my likes dictate above all else, because mine, and only mine, are correct.

Thus spake Michael Aloisius Patrick Quentin Hoffman!

CCinNJ

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 12:46 PM (permalink)
                                                  Down with the awful chicken wings!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 12:55 PM (permalink)
                                                    Hear, hear!

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                                                      • Location: Toronto, Ontario
                                                      Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                                      fam5will

I love it. Some hodad from Tennessee talking smack about chili. Priceless.

I have no strong opinions of chili but my considered opinion is that's a pretty pathetic post for your one and only. Surely you can do better than that?

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                                                        • Location: Toronto, Ontario
                                                        Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 1:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        Foodbme

I don't care what you call it; that looks good to me!

Davwud

• Total Posts: 504
                                                          • Location: Toronto, On/Huntsville, AL
                                                          Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 1:59 PM (permalink)
                                                          TJ Jackson

Russ Jackson

Nah. 

Most of those commandments are siimple intolerance of the views/tastes of others, which is in direct opposition with the overall mission of Roadfood.

Roadfood = praise for regional differences in foods

Your "rules" = mostly (I think most of us can agree with the "no double dipping" rule) intolerance for differences in foods, including (in this case) regional ones

I don't like some of these things either, but that doesn't mean I command others not to like them

Agreed.

I do not decide how YOU enjoy your food.

I expect the same consideration.

DT

eruby

• Total Posts: 587
                                                            • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. Mon, 10/8/12 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                                            Davwud

Agreed.

I do not decide how YOU enjoy your food.

I expect the same consideration.

DT
                                                            Well said Davwud.

I read a lot of these 'ketchup on hot dogs is sacrilege or childish' post  and I shake my head.  Hopefully some of them are in jest, but I often doubt it.

I love to quote Dirty Harry and his "nobody, and I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog", but don't actually subscribe to it.  I'd hope no one else would either.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 92

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com