Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2368
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2013/02/28 10:00:34 (permalink)
I would have to agree, I make chili with beans because people expect chili to have beans. I feel beans are a filler and don't really add all that much to the final outcome. If I were to make a chili, not knowing what other people put in their chili, I would make the sauce and meat king. The sauce should be full of flavor with some heat, the meat should be  melt in your moth tender, but not fall apart. I would get some good Seattle Sour Dough Crusty Bread to mop up the gravy and tender morsels of meat. This would be a chili to eat with friends, while cracking open a few beers.............save the beans for soup where they just may add some flavor and texture.............
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1297
Re:Chili has kidney beans, if not its not chili, period. 2013/02/28 15:48:33 (permalink)
senor boogie woogie Yup. Chili has beans. No beans, it isn't chili. It is meat sauce. That is what makes chili, chili, the beans. I cant believe the people on here who eschew the one thing that makes chili, chili. No beans, why bother?

Chili con Carne: hot peppers with meat. Nothing about beans. Beans had been often served with chili, and there are those who mixed them on the plate.

Otherwise, the addition of beans to the recipe was popularized during the Great Depression of the 1930's as a method of extending the meat.

Bart
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1