Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2007/01/31 21:20:23 (permalink)

Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr

Not sure if anyone on this forum will like these or not but I enjoy them every once in awhile, so if you like Chinese Ribs here you go if not please ignore the post.
Jack

Chinese Barbecued Pork at Home from Cooks Illustrated

These lacquered strips of pork look exotic, but the meat is actually "barbecued" in the oven, making it an ideal candidate for home cooking—in theory, at least.
The Problem: Traditional recipes for Chinese barbecued pork, or char siu, call for cutting the meat into thin strips that are then hung on metal rods inside refrigerator-sized ovens.

Our attempts to replicate this process in the test kitchen were remarkably unsuccessful, even resulting in second-degree burns as the test cook tried to rescue dangling pieces of meat as they fell to the oven floor.

The Goal: We wanted to develop a cooking method suited to a home oven.
The Solution: We started by slicing a boneless pork butt into strips. Our marinade of soy sauce, sherry, hoisin sauce, five-spice powder, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic introduced traditional Asian flavors, especially after we pricked the meat with a fork to enhance penetration.

For optimal browning and intense flavor we needed a two-heat process—initially cooking the meat, covered, at a low temperature to render fat and then cranking up the heat to develop a burnished crust. The classic lacquered appearance was achieved by applying a ketchup/honey glaze right before broiling, which also gave the meat its traditional red color (red foods are seen as bringing good fortune in Chinese cuisine).

Chinese Barbecued Pork
To facilitate cleanup, spray the rack and pan with vegetable oil spray. The pork will release liquid and fat during the cooking process, so be careful when removing the pan from the oven.

If you don't have a wire rack that fits in a rimmed baking sheet, substitute a broiler pan, although the meat may not darken as much. Pay close attention to the meat when broiling-you are looking for it to darken and caramelize, not blacken.

Do not use a drawer broiler--the heat source will be too close to the meat. Instead, increase the oven temperature in step 5 to 500 degrees and cook for 8 to 12 minutes before glazing and 6 to 8 minutes once the glaze has been applied; flip meat and repeat on second side. This recipe can be made with boneless country-style ribs, but the meat will be slightly drier and less flavorful.

To use ribs, reduce the uncovered cooking time in step 4 to 20 minutes and increase the broiling and glazing times in step 5 by 2 to 3 minutes per side. This dish is best served with rice and a vegetable side dish. Leftover pork makes an excellent addition to fried rice or an Asian noodle soup.

Serves 6
4 pound boneless pork butt (Boston butt) , cut into 8 strips and excess fat removed, see illustrations below (also see illustrations for removing the bone from a bone-in pork butt, if necessary)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
6 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (from 4- to 6-inch piece)
2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup honey

1. Using fork, prick pork 10 to 12 times on each side. Place pork in large plastic zipper-lock bag. Combine sugar, soy, hoisin, sherry, pepper, five-spice powder, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic in medium bowl. Measure out 1/2 cup marinade and set aside. Pour remaining marinade into bag with pork. Press out as much air as possible; seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.

2. While meat marinates, combine ketchup and honey with reserved marinade in small saucepan. Cook glaze over medium heat until syrupy and reduced to 1 cup, 4 to 6 minutes.

3. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set wire rack on sheet.

4. Remove pork from marinade, letting any excess drip off, and place on wire rack. Pour 1/4 cup water into bottom of pan. Cover pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, crimping edges tightly to seal. Cook pork for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to cook until edges of pork begin to brown, 40 to 45 minutes.

5. Turn on broiler. Broil pork until evenly caramelized, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove pan from oven and brush pork with half of glaze; broil until deep mahogany color, 3 to 5 minutes. Using tongs, flip meat and broil until other side caramelizes, 7 to 9 minutes. Brush meat with remaining glaze and continue to broil until second side is deep mahogany, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut into thin strips and serve.

If you don’t have Asian chile paste, substitute 1/2 teaspoon
dried red chile flakes.
This rub is excellent on grilled pork tenderloin.

Makes 1/3 cup, enough for 2 tenderloins
2 large cloves garlic , minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 inch piece fresh ginger , minced (about 2 tablespoons)
2 medium scallions , white and green parts minced (about 3 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon Asian chile paste
1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt

Mix all ingredients together in small bowl.

8 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr 2007/02/01 09:02:10 (permalink)
    Great recipe, just in time for those that are planing a super bowl party.
    Chow Jim
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr 2007/02/01 09:16:28 (permalink)
    I just got that issue yesterday. Have you tried the recipe, already?
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr 2007/02/01 09:24:04 (permalink)
    No thought I'd play with it next week. You know you can read CI online right?
    Jack
    Heres the link - www.cooksillustrated.com
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr 2007/02/01 18:25:37 (permalink)
    I was fortunate as a young man,living on his boat in the Marina at Long Beach Ca. I had a chinese friend who loved to sail..His mom and dad owned a very successful chinese restaurant in Belmont Shores..I used to go with him and cut food for the restaurant and learn the secrets of good sauces and food preparation, the Chinese Way.. When I was looking for my first good quality smoker, I chose a New Braunfel's Chinese Smoker..Still have it!! can do 8 racks of ribs at a time, indirect heat with nicely designed water pan, grill direct over coals, wood, or (propane my addition)..Its verticle design makes it perfect for smoking sausage or any number of different things at one time..I still have it and wouldn't trade it for anything..When i bought it I paid a fortune $255 now they are over 700.. Its easy to do chinese BBQ ribs..
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr 2007/02/01 19:11:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by genewj

I was fortunate as a young man,living on his boat in the Marina at Long Beach Ca. I had a chinese friend who loved to sail..His mom and dad owned a very successful chinese restaurant in Belmont Shores..I used to go with him and cut food for the restaurant and learn the secrets of good sauces and food preparation, the Chinese Way.. When I was looking for my first good quality smoker, I chose a New Braunfel's Chinese Smoker..Still have it!! can do 8 racks of ribs at a time, indirect heat with nicely designed water pan, grill direct over coals, wood, or (propane my addition)..Its verticle design makes it perfect for smoking sausage or any number of different things at one time..I still have it and wouldn't trade it for anything..When i bought it I paid a fortune $255 now they are over 700.. Its easy to do chinese BBQ ribs..

So what restaurant was/is it? I eat at Chen's Chinese Cuisine a lot which has been here forever----is that it?
    BTW-----what kind of boat? I lived on my Hunter for 5 years---------taught me how to cook well in a small space!
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr 2007/02/03 20:22:13 (permalink)
    thanks for the recipe.
    kilerclown
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr 2008/06/27 14:44:07 (permalink)
    I have some marinating now...too bad I didnt read the whole recipe. I put the ketchup in with the meat in the marinade. Oh well...Im sure it will taste fine.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5047
    RE: Chinese Barbecued Pork Cooks Illustr 2008/06/27 14:56:39 (permalink)
    Thank you for this recipe. Actually, the timing couldn't have been better for reviving this older topic. I have been wanting to do Chinese BBQ ribs for a while now.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1