Chinese Cellophane Noodles - What's the deal?

Author
Trishkaidekaphobia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
2006/11/12 15:31:51 (permalink)

Chinese Cellophane Noodles - What's the deal?

I made stir-fry for Sunday dinner today - Sunday always being "ethnic" i.e. non-Polish food day at my house. For stir fries, I usually use rice as the base or sometimes ramen noodles if time is a factor. Today I used cellophane noodles, a.k.a. mung bean noodles. They LOOKED cool and weren't as sticky as I anticipated, but had absolutely NO taste whatsoever!

I followed the cooking instructions exactly - drop into boiling water, take it off the heat and allow them to soak for 5 or 6 minutes. When I did a search for cellophane noodles in the forum, the only place I could find them was in a recipe for lettuce wraps - with many ingredients.

Did I do something wrong or are these noodles supposed to be like this - kind of like the tofu of the starch world?

5 Replies Related Threads

Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Chinese Cellophane Noodles - What's the deal? 2006/11/12 16:52:08 (permalink)
    Cellophane noodles are similar to those other foods which have no definitive taste of their own, in that they absorb the flavor of other items with which they are cooked or paired. Tofu comes to mind, as does Eggplant. These foods take on the flavor of other ingredients be it vegetables or sauces. Rice might also be comparable, as most rice does not truly have a flavor of its own.

Maybe I'm wrong, have been known to be, but it makes sense to me.

Donna
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Chinese Cellophane Noodles - What's the deal? 2006/11/12 16:53:25 (permalink)
    Cellophane noodles are used for their texture and appearance in highly flavored dishes. Your comparison to tofu is a good one! Give them another try, maybe it was the recipe you used. A good, easy dish to use cellophane noodles is Ants on a Tree. It's a spicy, zippy dish with ground pork, you'd never know that the noodles are flavorless. Let me know if you'd like the recipe, it's really fast, really easy.
    Trishkaidekaphobia
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chinese Cellophane Noodles - What's the deal? 2006/11/12 17:12:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

Cellophane noodles are used for their texture and appearance in highly flavored dishes. Your comparison to tofu is a good one! Give them another try, maybe it was the recipe you used. A good, easy dish to use cellophane noodles is Ants on a Tree. It's a spicy, zippy dish with ground pork, you'd never know that the noodles are flavorless. Let me know if you'd like the recipe, it's really fast, really easy.

Thank you zataar! I will gladly take any recipe that's fast, easy, full of flavour and will help me use up the rest of my bag of cellophane noodles!
    Trishkaidekaphobia
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chinese Cellophane Noodles - What's the deal? 2006/11/12 18:21:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Donna Douglass

Cellophane noodles are similar to those other foods which have no definitive taste of their own, in that they absorb the flavor of other items with which they are cooked or paired. Tofu comes to mind, as does Eggplant. These foods take on the flavor of other ingredients be it vegetables or sauces. Rice might also be comparable, as most rice does not truly have a flavor of its own.

Maybe I'm wrong, have been known to be, but it makes sense to me.

Donna

Hi Donna! Thanks for your input. I put my stirfry over the noodles - and that had onions, beef, other veggies and soy and peanut sauce in it. Very flavourful - and the noodles just sat there!

Eggplant, rice, regular pasta have subtle, interesting flavours - depending on the quality. Water has a taste! Tofu and cellophane noodles are the only two foods I have ever encountered that are absolutely blah. And had I added tofu to my dish, I know it would have been tasty.

I think this is a case of live and learn!
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1038
    RE: Chinese Cellophane Noodles - What's the deal? 2006/11/12 20:51:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Trishkaidekaphobia

I made stir-fry for Sunday dinner today - Sunday always being "ethnic" i.e. non-Polish food day at my house. For stir fries, I usually use rice as the base or sometimes ramen noodles if time is a factor. Today I used cellophane noodles, a.k.a. mung bean noodles. They LOOKED cool and weren't as sticky as I anticipated, but had absolutely NO taste whatsoever!

I followed the cooking instructions exactly - drop into boiling water, take it off the heat and allow them to soak for 5 or 6 minutes. When I did a search for cellophane noodles in the forum, the only place I could find them was in a recipe for lettuce wraps - with many ingredients.

Did I do something wrong or are these noodles supposed to be like this - kind of like the tofu of the starch world?

Exactly! (per my Chinese food expert)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1