Chinese Food Triumvirate

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4090
2007/02/10 15:06:06 (permalink)

Chinese Food Triumvirate

The "Little Saigon" area of Orange County, CA is obviously known as the center of Vietnamese culture here. What is less known, though, is that the area also caters to many Chinese, as well as acknowleding the infuence china has had on it's neighbor. It is interesting to find that three of the best Chinese seafood restaurants are within two blocks of each other, all on the same street. The first one---and my original intro into the area's Chinese dining----is Seafood Paradise, which was covered nicely by Mike S. when I introduced him to it's tanks of live seafood.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15882&SearchTerms=anaheim

A few weeks ago Boris/GloriaJeans and I tried the second one, Capital Seafood. It was so good we returned a few weeks later.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16740&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=capital%2Cseafood

Tuesday, we decided to try the third one. Like thge other two restaurants, Seafood Cove has large tanks filled with live lobsters, crabs and other nautical delights. I beat Boris by a bit, which allowed me a chance for a Chinese Tsingtao Beer and a nice conversation with our waiter. Although the place was still filled with Chinese, this was the most accessible one for non-Chinese----the waiter was extremely fluent in English and spent probably 10 minutes just telling me about differences in sauces, what went better with each item, etc. Definitely a pleasurable, enlightening conversation.
Boris arrived and we started to order. The hot and sour soup was good, full of all sorts of good items. We didn't order the live lobster--------something which I think we both regretted after seeing the table next to us with two lazy susans filled with cooked lobsters. We did order the Orange Chicken----one of Boris' favorites and a dish which is becoming a measuring stick for us at Chinese restaurants. It was flavorful and not too sweet. We also ordered the House Special Scallops. Perfectly cooked scallps, fried and then stir-fried in a spicy sauce with fresh red and green chilies, onions and garnished with slices of green tomato. Yum! With the steamed rice, we had a ton of food. After we gave up, the waiter brought us each a cup of Chinese Dessert Soup. What's in it I couldn't tell you, but it was delicious. Boris didn't make it to his, but it was understandable-----I think we'd eaten enough food for four!

Seafood Cove
8547 Westminster Ave
Garden Grove, CA,
Ph. 714.895.7964

Which place was best? Tough call. Seafood Cove seemed more expensive, but also cleaner and definitely more accomodating and friendly. I think Capital Seafood has a lower price, but is not as nice-looking. Seafood Paradise is huge and probably has the widest choice of live seafood of the three. I think my choice would be to go back to all. Each one has certain high points, so it just really breaks down to what I'm in the mood for and who is accompaning me. all in all, 3 good choices!

1 Reply Related Threads

PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Chinese Food Triumvirate 2007/02/10 16:44:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.......
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1