Chinese RoadFood experience

Author
ctrueder
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
2006/07/11 15:16:36 (permalink)

Chinese RoadFood experience

I have written a "review" for a friend's BLOG about a recent experience in Washington state. I am pasting it here (without the photos) for comment

Review - YAN’s Chinese Restaurant and Lounge (Kelso, WA)
Review by Dr. Charles R. (“Chuck”) xxxxxxx

YAN’S
300 Long Avenue, West
Kelso, Washington

Okay, I want to admit right up front that I was in a bad mood when we visited YAN’S Chinese Restaurant and Lounge on “06/26/2006 @ 18:10:56” (GAWD, I love those Japanese cash registers).

Firstly, we had just checked into the Best Western Aladdin on 310 Long Avenue (across the street from YAN’S). We normally have very good luck with Best Western Hotels, but this one sucked! Why did we stay? Because we had experienced a particularly hard day of driving, hiking, and sight-seeing . . . and we were on the last leg of our journey, returning to Seattle for our flight home.

Secondly, I LOVE Chinese food . . . but ONLY when we prepare it at home (Mrs. Chiang is my culinary idol). I generally WILL NOT eat in a commercial Chinese establishment (I have seen too many of their kitchens, food lockers, and bathrooms).

Thirdly, my wife, E, loves Chinese food . . . even in questionable “commercial” establishments.

SOOoo, we walk across the street to YAN’S, against my better judgment.

E orders one of the special “Mixed Dinners” . . . an assortment of four or five different Chinese dishes. I don’t recall the names of all the “stuff”, except for the fried rice.

I ordered a cheeseburger with fries and iced tea to drink . . . can’t go wrong with that, right?

Okay, E said that her dinner was “good” (of course, considering my mood, she would never have said anything different at that time!).

My burger was on a par with the most “average” fast food burger I have ever had. The fries were greasy and limp, tasting slightly like burnt pork . . . or SOME burnt animal.

The “Chinese fortune cookies” . . . nothing “Chinese” about them . . . were the highlight of my meal, and the tab was ONLY $19.28.
“What’s the point of this review?” you may be asking.

GLAD YOU ASKED!

Half-way through our meal, a woman parked her van in front of the window and entered the dining area carrying three dogs (puppies) that, apparently, she was trying to sell. Cute little devils, they were. Since I’m not a “dog” person, I don’t know what “breed” they were, and I don’t particularly care . . . they were DOGS!

So, ALL of the YAN’S staff (including our server, the cashier, the COOK, and several other employees or family members) gleefully ran out to the dining area . . . maybe 15 feet from where E and I were eating our dinner . . . and romped with, and fondled, and hugged, and kissed the adorable little puppies. It was a touching scene.

Elizabeth stopped eating. I pushed back the remainder of my burger.

We paid our check, sans gratuity, and left.

I will NEVER, I repeat NEVER, again enter a commercial Chinese restaurant, even if E gets upset with me!

11 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/11 18:41:31 (permalink)
    I don't trust anyone who isn't a dog person.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18891
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/11 19:42:55 (permalink)
    And this is in the Fast Food Franchises & Non-Roadfood Chains section because ...?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/11 19:48:09 (permalink)
    Lighten up, Mike.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/11 21:22:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

And this is in the Fast Food Franchises & Non-Roadfood Chains section because ...?

The same reason Pastrami is in the Chicken thread.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/12 07:00:08 (permalink)
    You know, I love most Asian foods. Chinese, Korean, Laotian, Vietnamese, Thai and Indonesian. Folks know I like different foods and I'm often asked where and what I had last night. Neanderthals whose idea of fine dining is pork or beef cooked to a very well done 300º will often remark that I've probably had some fido for dinner. Restaurants are in business to make money so can some one tell me that you could buy a large dog, kill it, drain the blood, skin it, age it and portion cut it for less than the price of prime grade meats? The thinly veiled racist arguments disappear when logic prevails.
    ctrueder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/12 09:37:17 (permalink)
    Sorry, but perhaps I was misunderstood. We didn't suggest that they were COOKING or SERVING dogs. But they were HANDLING dogs just feet from where we were trying to eat . . . and then returning to their posts without (apparently) even washing their hands. To us, at least, this was unacceptable.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/12 13:24:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ctrueder

Sorry, but perhaps I was misunderstood. We didn't suggest that they were COOKING or SERVING dogs. But they were HANDLING dogs just feet from where we were trying to eat . . . and then returning to their posts without (apparently) even washing their hands. To us, at least, this was unacceptable.

Ooops. I really misunderstood and I apologize for coming up with 6 when adding 2 + 2!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/12 20:00:57 (permalink)
    I quit paying attention here when the original poster said "I ordered a cheeseburger with fries and iced tea to drink..."

Yes, that is the 1st thing that comes to my mind when ordering at a chinese restaurant...
    GeoNit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/12 20:39:49 (permalink)
    About 40 years ago, my younger brother, two of his grad school friends and I went into a Chinese restaurant in Fort Erie, ON.

All of us asked for chopsticks and order about five dishes to be shared.

Just after we ordered, an elderly Chinese gentleman -- He appeared to be about 90 years old -- sat down in the booth across from us. As we consumed our meal, we eagerly waited to see what the Chinese elder ordered.

In a few minutes, we got our answer. The waitress set down before the gentleman, a fork, knife and a hamburger steak with mashed spuds and peas!!!

Maybe that eldeerly Chiese gentleman would have agreed with ctrueder!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/12 21:43:22 (permalink)

I took out a German repairman to a bar that had over 200 different beers. I almost spit mine up when he ordered an Old Style. He explained that to him that was a foreign beer. Likewise while in Montego Bay Jamaica to catch a plane, I notice that Burger King does great business. Its either the appeal of foreign food or they must love that catsup/ketchup used by them; probably too bad they don't have any Arby's!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3618
    RE: Chinese RoadFood experience 2006/07/12 23:13:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers
    I took out a German repairman to a bar that had over 200 different beers. I almost spit mine up when he ordered an Old Style. He explained that to him that was a foreign beer.

The Germans who frequent "my" bar always get pitchers of Miller. They say it's the best beer they can get here.

Not that I'm anywhere on topic any more...Lemme fix that.

I have to admit, my first thought upon reading this was "you ordered a burger and fries at a Chinese restaurant, and have the nerve to complain about the quality of your food?" WTF? That's like ordering steak from Pizza Hut (if you could do such a thing) and complaining about it. Why on earth would you order something like that and expect it to be good?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1