The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chinese almond cookies

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Chinese almond cookies Mon, 11/13/06 12:36 PM (permalink)
I was just thinking about those big, delicious, crumbly almond cookies I used to buy in bakeries in Chinatown. They always had a whole almond right on top. I also remember a similar large cookie, "marble" I think, with a chocolate dollop in the middle. But I can't remember if these were from Chinese or Jewish bakeries. Haven't seen them in a while. Do they still exist?

IansMom

• Total Posts: 394
    RE: Chinese almond cookies Mon, 11/13/06 1:31 PM (permalink)
    NYNM... there is a bakery here in Louisville, Luv-Yu Bakery, that makes the almond cookies... http://www.luvyu.com/index.html you can see if they ship...

Ian's mom

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7409
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Chinese almond cookies Mon, 11/13/06 1:38 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by NYNM

I was just thinking about those big, delicious, crumbly almond cookies I used to buy in bakeries in Chinatown. They always had a whole almond right on top. I also remember a similar large cookie, "marble" I think, with a chocolate dollop in the middle. But I can't remember if these were from Chinese or Jewish bakeries. Haven't seen them in a while. Do they still exist?

Yes, almond horns still exist at the Jewish Bakeries in the NYC area.
      No almond horns here at the Rhode Island bakeries. Just Italian and Portuguese stuff.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
        RE: Chinese almond cookies Mon, 11/13/06 4:57 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

No almond horns here at the Rhode Island bakeries. Just Italian and Portuguese stuff.

I'm referring to (round) (Chinses) almond cookies with one almond (whole) on top. I assume that is not the same as (horn-shaped) (Jewish) almond cookies with many almonds (chips) on top.

And what about those "marble" cookies?

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
          RE: Chinese almond cookies Mon, 11/13/06 5:30 PM (permalink)
          i've seen those cookies here but they
          have half an almond on top.
          i loved those marble cookies. haven't
          seen those in years though.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7409
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Chinese almond cookies Mon, 11/13/06 6:06 PM (permalink)
            quote:

quote:
            Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

I'm referring to (round) (Chinses) almond cookies with one almond (whole) on top. I assume that is not the same as (horn-shaped) (Jewish) almond cookies with many almonds (chips) on top.

And what about those "marble" cookies?

Oh, yes, the almond cookies, you can still get them at Chinese Restaurants. Those other cookies whith the chocolate dollop in the middle are not Almond horns, I thought you meant chocolate at the end of the horn, but yes, you can still find those at the Jewish bakeries on Long Island, NYC and vicinity.

Sonny Funzio

• Total Posts: 902
              RE: Chinese almond cookies Sat, 11/18/06 6:10 PM (permalink)
              A while back I requested my brother pick up a package of Chinese Almond Cookies from a Chinese store he was intending to visit.
              Well he did, but they were not the ones mentioned above like you get at a chinese restaurant ... they were made with green beans.

Yup, apparently green-bean-flour is a common Chinese food product used in the production of things like cookies.

They tasted ok (actually had a very slight green tint to them), but were certainly not what we were looking for.

I'll take my beans other ways.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                RE: Chinese almond cookies Sat, 11/18/06 7:06 PM (permalink)
                around here for years we've enjoyed Golden Dragon brand Almond Cookies (in the pink and red box).. all the chinese food places use those..

CuzinVinny

• Total Posts: 50
                  RE: Chinese almond cookies Thu, 12/21/06 2:01 AM (permalink)
                  Sonny, you are right about the green bean flour/paste used in Chinese confectionery. There is an excellent book published by the Wei-Chuan Company called "Chinese Snacks" that includes a recipe for a type of dim sum made from this same paste. The recipe given is savory, however, but still quite tasty!!! You really ought to try them. Probably the most famous Chinese sweetmeat is the steamed bun filled with red bean paste. Delicious!!
                  The Chinese are known for making many sweet dishes, all of which are served alongside numerous other savory delights with tea. Such sweets range from steamed sponge cakes, puddings, dumplings and filled buns, both savory and sweet. Then, served at the end of most Chinese banquets is the elaborate "Eight-Treasure Steamed Rice Cake". The key ingredient here of course is steamed glutinous rice, filled with red bean or lotus seed paste and dried fruits such as Chinese red dates, also known as "jujubes". The rule is that there must be no less than eight different ingredients.
                  Ask for one of these the next time you visit a Chinese Bakery.. you're guaranteed to impress anyone who sits at your table!!!!

Wander

• Total Posts: 38
                    RE: Chinese almond cookies Thu, 12/21/06 2:51 AM (permalink)
                    If you can find an Asian foods market that has a decent snacks and goodies aisle, you should be able to find those cookies. Last I checked a tub of the ones with the half almond on top was around 3-5 dollars, and had around 70 or so cookies per container. Now if you'll excuse me I must go and find that last bag of lychee flavored White Rabbit candies.

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
                      RE: Chinese almond cookies Sat, 01/27/07 3:09 AM (permalink)
                      Many (many) years ago as a young girl, I remember those Chinese almond cookies used to come with a whole almond in the center. Years later it became half of an almond. Last time I checked, they only had a sliver of almond. Same cookie, smaller nut.

ChiTownDiner

RE: Chinese almond cookies Sat, 02/10/07 8:02 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by offlady

Many (many) years ago as a young girl, I remember those Chinese almond cookies used to come with a whole almond in the center. Years later it became half of an almond. Last time I checked, they only had a sliver of almond. Same cookie, smaller nut.

Exactly - that's the progression I've noticed also. Around here, all Chinese restaurants serve the almond cookies but it seems if you are alone, they are not included. Have a table of 3-4 and tab of $40-$50 and now they appear...as if they are included.

ronkathy

• Total Posts: 1
                          RE: Chinese almond cookies Wed, 02/14/07 2:01 AM (permalink)
                          Yes, those awesome chinese almond cookies in the pink and red box do still exist!! However, the only place I have been able to find them is in southern california. During our last visit we were able to purchase those cookies at the Stater Brothers Supermarket in Yucca Valley, CA. ----- Does Anyone have a receipe?????????

Sneetch

• Total Posts: 393
                            RE: Chinese almond cookies Wed, 02/14/07 5:18 PM (permalink)
                            hi NYNM - those big marbled/unmarbled cookies with the dollop of chocolate are still available from Moishe's Kosher Bakery on 2nd Ave and 6th St. in NYC, 212-505-8555...have any family/friends who will send you a care package?!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com