Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 91
V960

• Total Posts: 2429
Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 8:10 AM (permalink)
Seems the buffet has virtually killed good Chinese food here in the south. Piggey trough buffets exclude a traditional lazy susan Chinese meal. Any thoughts?

Sundancer7

RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 8:14 AM (permalink)
    The same thing has almost happened in Knoxville with the exception of the Mandarin House which is the oldest and has been voted best buffet in Knoxville for ten years in a row. Many wannabee places have sprung up all over Knoxville. In fact on Kingston Pike which is a main drag in town had about a dozen Chinese buffets, they were all identical, non descript and lacking in taste.

The Mandarin House has expanded to several locations. I sincerely hope their quality does not diminish.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
      RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 9:44 AM (permalink)
      Yup. Here in Lexington, KY many of the once excellent Chinese restaurants have given themselves over to the buffet explosion.
      These are restaurants that used to be excellent, and now serve lukewarm generic food (including pizza and fries) to those who apparently appreciate quantity over quality. What a shame.

Andrea

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
        RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 10:17 AM (permalink)
        I agree. I used to be a huge fan of chinese food. The last several years, that's changed as the buffets have taken over. Some of the restaurants around here serve a regular menu as well as the buffet, but their quality just isn't what it used to be.

And hey, when the buffets also serve pizza, fried cheese sticks, hot dogs. buffalo wings, onion rings, etc, it's not really chinese anymore.

I avoid them unless there's no other choice. The quality just isn't worth it, and for some of them, you don't know who's been tramping through them before you got there.

Leo Starrenburg

• Total Posts: 13
          RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 10:26 AM (permalink)
          The same in Rowan county KY, a buffet where the Chinese dishes were outnumberd by regular items. The quality was mediocer at best. Heaps of food for a low price, but a bit embarrasing as we invited a group of people for dinner there, naively hinking it would be about the same as a Dutch Chinese/Indonesian restaurant. Our only bad dining experience during our stay.

cheers, Leo.

PS: over here "wok" restaurants are shooting up everywhere. You take your pick of a great number of raw ingredients, point out the kind of cooking oil/suace you want and the cook prepares it a la minute in his wok.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
            RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 11:13 AM (permalink)
            Mr. Smith
            Where is the Mandarin house? I travel to K'town aout once every six weeks and would love to visit it.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
              RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 11:16 AM (permalink)
              There has been a large growth in the number of Chinese Buffet restaurants in Rochester, but not all are bad. There are still many excellent Chinese restaurants which have not gone the buffet route, and we often go there when we want the best food.

Some of the buffets are not bad though, it seems to be a matter of what you eat. We often go to a few of the better buffets and enjoy the sushi, and appetizers like fried dumplings. Our two favorites also have a "Mongolian BBQ" where you select your choice of veggies, meats, and sauce, and the chef prepares it while you watch. Some dishes are not the best, but I always enjoy the mussels in ginger garlic sauce, mei fun, and baby bok choy. These taste as good as any dish I have had in "menu" restarants.

Our two favorite buffets also feature steamed clams and crab legs on Friday and Saturday nights, very reasonable all you can eat crab legs for the $11 buffet cost. I don't mind the "generic" American style food including pizza, because I never eat it. But I have seen many families with children where the parents get to enjoy the Chinese food while the kids eat pizza and chicken fingers. I doubt these parents would get their children to go to a "menu" Chinese restaurant.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 4:26 PM (permalink)
                People vote with their feet/wallets/and time. Around here, the buffet rules. Some are very good (Nancy Chang, Worcester Mass), and some are barely better than your high school cafeteria was. For me, they are fast and interesting, especially if I am with a group. It might be a good idea for a web site or book. I keep my roadfood book in the car and use it. Maybe a lst of good Chinese buffets would be popular?

Sundancer7

RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 4:36 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by V960

Mr. Smith
                  Where is the Mandarin house? I travel to K'town aout once every six weeks and would love to visit it.

I have attached their web site for your use. It was voted best buffet in Knoxvile for 12 straight years. I suggest the west location. I have visited everyone of their locations and they seem to do the best. I did not like the one in Pigeon Forge even though it is brand new and a beautiful building.

I believe the web site will give you directions to the west location. Regardless it is off Kingston Pike in the Downtown West area.

Be sure and try their General Tsao chicken and do not accidentally ingest some of those little bitty red peppers.

http://www.mandarinhouse.com/

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

• Total Posts: 222
                    RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 5:35 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by berndog

There has been a large growth in the number of Chinese Buffet restaurants in Rochester, but not all are bad.

On a recent trip to Yellowstone and back, we stoped overnight in Albert Lea, MN. I had hungry kids, we were sick of burgers and bad pizza, and there was a Chinese buffet two doors down from the motel. Much to my suprise, it was very, very good. The food was 60% Cantonese standards and 40% wiggley midwestern salads. There were three types of soup (including good hot and sour) and crab legs to boot. It was full at 1830 on a Tuesday evening and stayed that way unitl we left. Fresh food came out of the kitchen at short intervals. I think that's the trick; you need the volume and turnover to keep the food up to snuff. This place wasn't Chinatown in New York or Boston, but it was better than most places here in Maine.
                    On the other hand, There is 'Grand Asian Buffet' in Waterville, ME. Seems to be the sort of place most folks think about when the subject comes up.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 5:44 PM (permalink)
                      I know I am going to sound egocentric here, but I've enjoyed Chinese Food in several parts of the country. First off, I determined that Chinese food was inedible in Albuquerque. For the last 9 or 10 years I've had the best of the best in both Rhode Island and Pittsburgh. It was probably longer than that since I had Chinese food in NY. Well last Thanksgiving weekend, I went to visit my friend in New Jersey (about 20 miles from the George Washington Bridge)it was late in the evening and the local Kosher Deli was just closing up for the night so we decided to go to the Chinese Restaurant next door. I completely forgot how extraordinary the Chinese food in NY is and how these Chinese Restaurants put out a far superior product compared to the rest of the country. I have now decided that when I travel, I will not eats Chinese anywhere else perhaps with the exception of San Francisco.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                        RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 10:36 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by wanderingjew

I know I am going to sound egocentric here, but I've enjoyed Chinese Food in several parts of the country. First off, I determined that Chinese food was inedible in Albuquerque. For the last 9 or 10 years I've had the best of the best in both Rhode Island and Pittsburgh. It was probably longer than that since I had Chinese food in NY. Well last Thanksgiving weekend, I went to visit my friend in New Jersey (about 20 miles from the George Washington Bridge)it was late in the evening and the local Kosher Deli was just closing up for the night so we decided to go to the Chinese Restaurant next door. I completely forgot how extraordinary the Chinese food in NY is and how these Chinese Restaurants put out a far superior product compared to the rest of the country. I have now decided that when I travel, I will not eats Chinese anywhere else perhaps with the exception of San Francisco.

Having grown up in NY, I am sure that I underestimated how much I would miss Chinese food when I moved to Florida. What is here is inedible, at best, but I am sure that my view is skewed by what I know I can get "back home."

The bulk of the places here are either buffet or what they call "NY-style." Style? Maybe, but hardly the taste. The 'style' is the single counter, mostly take-out, picture of the food on backlit signs motif. I guess I always just thought that NY style meant that the food had flavor. That, somehow, was skipped.

A friend with whom I travel arranged for us to eat in Chinatown in SF with a friend of his who was friends with the chef at the restaurant. We had an incredible dining experience, with course after course flowing from the kitchen. In the end, my buddy was a little less than pleased with my underwhelmed response. I explained that this was something that I could get all the time, and while it was good, I would not rate it as the "best ever." He was dumbfounded...

...until I sent him to my favorite place on Long Island. Then, he just understood.

Now, I do the same....I will wait until I am in a more Chinese-friendly area rather than eat the poor excuse available here.

Steve

Grillmeister

• Total Posts: 204
                          RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 10:57 PM (permalink)

As of today I didn't really appreciate my local Chinese buffet...I've determined that it's actually quite good (especially when you hit it right at noon). The reason I say this is because today in Huntsville, TX, I had the absolutely worst Chinese buffet food in my life! This was the stuff that understandably brings on all the negative comments I see here on Roadfood. I made a comment on the Mexican food thread on how Pancho's must be like eating Mexican army food, WELL, Chairman Mao didn't make the Long March to go to this place! The Chinese army had to have eaten better!
                          I guess it boils down to the care and expertise of each individual restaurant...some have it, many do not. Feel blessed if your local place has it!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 07/18/05 11:05 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

Having grown up in NY, I am sure that I underestimated how much I would miss Chinese food when I moved to Florida. What is here is inedible, at best, but I am sure that my view is skewed by what I know I can get "back home."

The bulk of the places here are either buffet or what they call "NY-style." Style? Maybe, but hardly the taste. The 'style' is the single counter, mostly take-out, picture of the food on backlit signs motif. I guess I always just thought that NY style meant that the food had flavor. That, somehow, was skipped.

A friend with whom I travel arranged for us to eat in Chinatown in SF with a friend of his who was friends with the chef at the restaurant. We had an incredible dining experience, with course after course flowing from the kitchen. In the end, my buddy was a little less than pleased with my underwhelmed response. I explained that this was something that I could get all the time, and while it was good, I would not rate it as the "best ever." He was dumbfounded...

...until I sent him to my favorite place on Long Island. Then, he just understood.

Now, I do the same....I will wait until I am in a more Chinese-friendly area rather than eat the poor excuse available here.

Steve

Steve,

There was one place that equaled the quality of the Long Island/NYC area, specifically their Dim Sum Sunday Brunch. That was the Noble Court in Bellevue Washington. This was back in the mid 1990's. I thought it was gone, but apparently it's still around.

santacruz

• Total Posts: 372
                              RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Tue, 07/19/05 3:50 PM (permalink)
                              Haveing grown up in the northeast then living in the midwest and south, I have at last arrived in Nirvana of Chinese food, the San Francisco Bay Area. There is nothing like it for Chinese food, so fresh, so many regions represented and of course Dim Sum....I could just go on and on, it's unbelievalble from San Jose up to Santa Rosa great just great food, not to mention Vietnamese, Japanese etc.

There of course are lousy places but most are way above average.

If you want excellent Chinese cuisine without going to China come to the Bay area.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Tue, 07/19/05 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by tmiles

People vote with their feet/wallets/and time. Around here, the buffet rules. Some are very good (Nancy Chang, Worcester Mass), and some are barely better than your high school cafeteria was. For me, they are fast and interesting, especially if I am with a group. It might be a good idea for a web site or book. I keep my roadfood book in the car and use it. Maybe a lst of good Chinese buffets would be popular?

That's funny -- I've eaten in a lot of Chinese restaurants in eastern MA, and there are fewer Chinese buffets here than anywhere else I've ever lived. In fact, the only buffet I can think of off the top of my head is Tin Tin, at the corner of Brighton Ave and Market Street in Brighton. Which, yeah, is pretty seriously mediocre. But what about all the great hole in the wall Chinese places? What about, as a matter of fact, Chinatown?

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                  RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Tue, 07/19/05 5:02 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

Steve,

There was one place that equaled the quality of the Long Island/NYC area, specifically their Dim Sum Sunday Brunch. That was the Noble Court in Bellevue Washington. This was back in the mid 1990's. I thought it was gone, but apparently it's still around.

I get out to Seattle for work once or twice a year. Usually when I am out there, I try to gorge myself on salmon and halibut until I just can't take it anymore, but I will try to look up this place in Bellevue on my next go around.

Steve

TIPPY LEE

• Total Posts: 135
                                    RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Wed, 07/20/05 5:57 AM (permalink)
                                    Hey LeoStarrenburg!....Tom B. in Eastern KY. like you.....When you speak of Rowan Co., I take it you mean Morehead?...I always liked the buffet (name escapes me...) in the little plaza where the bookstore and a little food store is....NOT the one close to the interstate exit...Usually ate there when in town, around lunch time, and thought the aforementioned Chinese buffet was good!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3548
                                      RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Wed, 07/20/05 12:43 PM (permalink)
                                      There is a glut of Chinese buffets here in the LA/OC area, but it's still relatively easier to find an excellent authentic Chinese meal. Especially, where I live, I literally can walk around the corner to a place that serves the real stuff, and a short drive to either downtown Los Angeles' Chinatown, Monterey Park, "LIttle Saigon" in Orange County or San Gabriel has a wealth of great places, including dim sum palaces, noodle houses, ethnic Chinese places such as Islamic Chinese and more. The buffets will always appeal to a certain type of people who want lots of food-----but it's interesting that the good places still give you much more than you could eat, with much higher quality-----and yet not much different from the buffet price.

AndreaB

RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Wed, 07/20/05 1:48 PM (permalink)
                                        In Lexington, KY, there's a chinese place called "Far East Cafe". It is non buffet and the food tastes clean, fresh, and they'll make it spiced according to your taste. I like my food "volatile" spicy and they always included a container of the chef's spicy sauce so I could spice it to my taste. Now, according to my hubs, they say they're changing the restaurant to a KY country food place because it hasn't gone over well. That's all we need around here --- another "country food" place. This place is excellent, and I think anyone from any state / country would have loved its offerings, and I am very picky about Chinese food. I am just tired of the generic buffets.......

Andrea

beckygirl402

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Fri, 08/19/05 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                          Andrea, yes, Far East Cafe has closed and turned into a country foods place, but if you liked the food, the owner actually has another restaurant called Asian Wind that has similar, if not better, food. Their website is sometimes out of date (as far as prices and dishes go, as the George, the owner, is often changing things... new dishes and what not), but it has information on there if you need it: www.asianwindrestaurant.com Hope you enjoy it!

Williamsburger

• Total Posts: 395
                                            RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Sat, 08/20/05 3:07 PM (permalink)
                                            Incredibly, there are no good Chinese places in Williamsburg, VA.
                                            There are four Japanese places (one of which *used* to be the best Chinese place in the city) but all the Chinese places are buffets or hole-in-the-wall carry outs.

The best Chinese restaurant in Tidewater (Ming Gate in Hampton)closed its doors several years ago after the owner's two brothers died within a few months of each other. I asked where the cook went so I could try his new place. The answer? - Taiwan!

Cathy

jinjo76

• Total Posts: 204
                                              RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Sat, 08/20/05 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                              Has anyone been here,

http://www.todai.com/ ?

Is it worth driving from Oakland Park to Tampa if you love Japanese/seafood?

BillC

• Total Posts: 119
                                                RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Sun, 08/21/05 9:46 PM (permalink)
                                                Ignore this if you live in a place with an active "Chinatown", but buffets and cheap carry outs seem to be the rule. There are still some good restaurants around here, but it's not the same. I used to really like Chinese food. I'm not sure if it's so much that the quality has gone down (which it has), or if more appealing Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants have appeared.

Hastyman

• Total Posts: 83
                                                  RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Sun, 08/21/05 10:49 PM (permalink)
                                                  Out here in flyover country the buffets have pretty much won the day, promising you all the soggy crab rangoon and cold General Tso's chicken you want for $5.95. The irony is that some of the buffet places still turn out great food to order . . . but nobody ever orders it. (Except for me, that is.)

It's really sad. Say what you want about the old kitschy Americanized Chinese places, they're a dying breed, and there may be a whole generation of eaters who never know that Chinese food isn't supposed to come off a steam table.

plb

RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 08/22/05 1:08 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by jinjo76

Has anyone been here,

http://www.todai.com/ ?

Is it worth driving from Oakland Park to Tampa if you love Japanese/seafood?

Use the search function. Todai has been discussed a number of times. Most comments were positive.

AndreaB

• Location: Versailles, KY
                                                      RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Sat, 09/3/05 7:39 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by beckygirl402

Andrea, yes, Far East Cafe has closed and turned into a country foods place, but if you liked the food, the owner actually has another restaurant called Asian Wind that has similar, if not better, food. Their website is sometimes out of date (as far as prices and dishes go, as the George, the owner, is often changing things... new dishes and what not), but it has information on there if you need it: www.asianwindrestaurant.com Hope you enjoy it!

Yes Asian Wind is excellent! I love George's hot sauce and the My Lai Chicken is to die for. I love the fresh green onions they put in it. There's a place called Great Wall that's supposed to be good --- I think it's a carry out place --- but as for the buffets I really don't know of a good one in LEX --- they seem to try to mix and match everything and it just doesn't "work".

Andrea

Stupid_American

• Total Posts: 65
                                                        • Location: Bangkok, Thailand
                                                        RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Mon, 09/5/05 6:06 PM (permalink)
                                                        Here, in Southern California, there are so many ethnic Chinese choices that one's treated like a leper if they even mention butterfly shrimp, egg foo young or, god forbid, a combo!

"Educated palates" can be such snobs!

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                          • Location: columbus, oh
                                                          RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Sat, 10/15/05 12:29 PM (permalink)
                                                          There is Joy Asia, in Marlborough, Mass, Totally chinese staffed and run--and they have a full service bar/dining area with about 6 TV's for the games and thats where most people eat but also a regular dining room, but then they also serve a small buffet as an option. But not like those "SUPER" buffets that are indeed cropping up all over....Maybe 12 items and peel and shrimp is a staple there--But their food is excellent.. They alsohave a dish from the menu called Phoenex Soong, and its diced white meat chicken with diced carrots and celery and onions cooked fresh in a sauce like Moo Goo Gai Pan and you get a half head of iceberg lettuce in which to make your own wraps....No rice.. and for the carb conscious, and salad lover, its a great alternative. Of course then I get the Peking Dumplings.. Ha Ha..
                                                          Every so often, I will drive the 140 miles to dine there..
                                                          It is on Boston Post Road headed east towards Sudbury....

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                                            • Location: Westfield, NJ
                                                            RE: Chinese buffets & the demise of good Chinese food Sun, 10/16/05 2:09 AM (permalink)
                                                            I miss the dark brown chow mein of my childhood. The nouvelle stuff is all white. Canton, an art deco-designed Chinese restaurant just off Journal Square in Jersey City, NJ, which harked back to the 1930s, served the chow mein the old way, as well as serving a good dark fried rice. But sadly, they went out of business about a year ago after about a 70-year run.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 91

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com