Chipolte's

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/07 20:05:40 (permalink)
My husband's addicted to the place.. I'm not that impressed....tastes too "upscale" and the decor is uncomfortably sparse and cold. I miss our old "Taco Man" delivery place...
rigoleto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/11 05:28:17 (permalink)
I rather eat in a Roach Coach joint, provided it's authentic Mexican, than in any inspid Mission-style burrito chain. It's all refashioned ketchup!
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/11 14:45:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rigoleto

I rather eat in a Roach Coach joint, provided it's authentic Mexican, than in any inspid Mission-style burrito chain. It's all refashioned ketchup!

OK, I'll agree. But don't apply the same disdain to actual taquerias in San Francisco's Mission District where the "mission-style" burrito was invented. These places are what the chains are trying to copy. And like I've said, they put out a very tasty product that will fill you up for a couple of bucks--and they don't use ketchup. Nobody pretends it's MEXICAN. A large percentage of the people working there and eating there know that very well because they ARE Mexican (although, admittedly, quite a few are also Honduran, Salvadorean and Nicaraguan).
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/15 22:35:14 (permalink)
my teenage daughter would rather eat the chipotle's veggie burrito than any other fast food. considering it's made of squash, peppers, onions, tomatos, beans and rice, i can't knock it. she has one of the healthiest addictions around, when you think of other fast food. and the place is so clean too. compare that to the recent grossness of the extra valu meal comerical for taco bell. ugh. half pound burrito??? stuffed with what? i don't take my kids there.our taco bells are the worst around here. snotty staff, mystery meat, crowed unclean places. chipotle looks better and better
Kent Daniels
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/21 22:06:20 (permalink)
If you're getting a Chipotle's in your neighborhood, they always seem to have a "free food" trial run the day before the grand opening. All you do is show up around the lunch or dinner hour, and you get your choice of menu item (with a drink and chips on the side) absolutely free. They just put a tip jar out by the cash register.
They're good for "chain food" and if you're dieting the burrito bowl is a great option, but what I like most is their tomatillo/chili hot sauce. I use the leftover sauce to make Chinese Twice-cooked pork.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/21 23:17:58 (permalink)
Kent, that is a great heads up. I just passed a long vacant Brueggers Bagels location near me that is being renovated into Chipotle's. The sign is already up, but the rest looks at least a month away. As stated at the beginning of this thread, I've only been to this chain once, but it was a positive experience. We'll see if it stands up.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/22 00:08:25 (permalink)
I dunno, BPR.

Chipotle's has been in Cincinnati for several years now, and we do indeed have other similar but locally-owned burrito joints here as well, so I had visited them all and skipped Chipotle's.

Mind you, I never went to any of these more than once, as I was underwhelmed by the food.

That said, I went to Chipotle's today for the very first time, and I hate to admit it, but it was excellent. Really top notch. Had the steak, and was also given a sample on request of the pork and the chicken. I'll be back for both at some point.

I recommend that you go in and ask for a sample of the meat they use. It's steam tabled, and ready to go, and the fellow I asked handled this as if they have a "give a sample on request, without hesitation" type policy in place. Won't cost you anything but 2 minutes of your time (as long as you don;t go during lunch rush) and a very temporary suspension of your feelings about McD's.

Let me also say that I didn't see any McD's influence on the place. It is as if McD's is allowing this subsidiary to operate as it sees fit for the moment, which is a very good thing indeed.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/22 04:20:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I dunno, BPR.

Chipotle's has been in Cincinnati for several years now, and we do indeed have other similar but locally-owned burrito joints here as well, so I had visited them all and skipped Chipotle's.

Mind you, I never went to any of these more than once, as I was underwhelmed by the food.

That said, I went to Chipotle's today for the very first time, and I hate to admit it, but it was excellent. Really top notch. Had the steak, and was also given a sample on request of the pork and the chicken. I'll be back for both at some point.

I recommend that you go in and ask for a sample of the meat they use. It's steam tabled, and ready to go, and the fellow I asked handled this as if they have a "give a sample on request, without hesitation" type policy in place. Won't cost you anything but 2 minutes of your time (as long as you don;t go during lunch rush) and a very temporary suspension of your feelings about McD's.

Let me also say that I didn't see any McD's influence on the place. It is as if McD's is allowing this subsidiary to operate as it sees fit for the moment, which is a very good thing indeed.

Well I have no plans to try it, but I have to say that the only outlet I'm familiar with is in the SF financial district and is really packed with stockbroker types at lunch even though there's several places I'd guess would have better burritos well within walking distance.

Maybe someday I'll put on a pinstripe suit, spread collar shirt and wing tips and join 'em just to try it. But not anytime soon. The serious question is how they get the burrito juice off their $100 neckties.
awatts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/29 19:51:00 (permalink)
Chipotle is by far the WORST mexican food ever and the restaurant itself is an excercise in corporate weaselism. Here is why:

1- The food is cold, this is the second time I've eaten there. Figured maybe the first was just a fluke. The food was cold both times. Health lawsuit waiting to happen. ChiPtomiane anyone?

2. I ordered a Fajita Burrito. The Peppers, onions were not cooked. They were still "hard".

3. The tortilla was not cooked enough, it still smelled like uncooked dough

4. The assembly line way of rushing your order through is irritating. Its got all the charm of a prison cafeteria.

5. The restaurant decor is so metallic and glass that it is annnoying to eat there. Sounds bounce off the walls, making tinny noises and making it difficult to even understand the people on the burrito assembly line. Its screams "go away"!

6. The www.chipotle.com website is annoying too. Its trying too hard to be cute. Try finding anything useful.

7. The Burritos are "Mexican Death Meals" according to the diet and nutrition reports, some of them have more fat and calories than a McLardburger..of course think of the owners.

8. The chairs are uncomfortable - probably so you don't sit there very long...all part of the McDonalds corporate mentality "customers are cattle" Mooo! Herd em in, get em out!

9. The burrito looks like a big silver wrapped turd. Or maybe a Tylenol, either way its unappetizing.

10. In a nutshell: Chipotle Sucks!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18874
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/29 20:22:16 (permalink)
So, you are not a Chipotle fan?
jlobough
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/29 21:08:17 (permalink)
That's what I love about these forums. Nobody's very shy in expressing themselves.

As for Chipotle, I think I just simply see it for what it is. It's a cheaper (and tastier) lunch option than most of what I can find here in the Chicago Loop. On the other side of the coin, I'm not going to pass up a more authentic choice for Mexican food in order to go to Chipotle. I think it's just a good option for the occasional lunch.
carlylynn88
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/18 02:35:58 (permalink)
I love Chipotle! I would ask for half the rice though on the burrito. Its great though. I actually wrote the guy and told him to build one in my college town. Everytime I come home its the one place I have to eat at! I will miss it when I go back to school!
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/18 23:07:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jlobough

That's what I love about these forums. Nobody's very shy in expressing themselves.

As for Chipotle, I think I just simply see it for what it is. It's a cheaper (and tastier) lunch option than most of what I can find here in the Chicago Loop. On the other side of the coin, I'm not going to pass up a more authentic choice for Mexican food in order to go to Chipotle. I think it's just a good option for the occasional lunch.

You really think it's tastier than a wurst at the Berghoff?
Sasaku
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/21 21:01:27 (permalink)
awatt's is right about chipoltes, but if you dont mind if your food is only warm and dont care about health, then the place is great, I enjoyed all the burritos iv had there, and I never have to look long to find one there everywhere where I live.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 11:44:08 (permalink)
I work in San Francisco's mission district, there are so many good taquerias that no one would think of going to Chipolte's. But I tried one in Foster City and one in Castro Valley Ca. both were BAD. I swear the worst mission place is heads above Chipolte's. I think the words that describe these Burrito's are Bland and Cold with no passion.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 12:12:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by axvawe

I work in San Francisco's mission district, there are so many good taquerias that no one would think of going to Chipolte's. But I tried one in Foster City and one in Castro Valley Ca. both were BAD. I swear the worst mission place is heads above Chipolte's. I think the words that describe these Burrito's are Bland and Cold with no passion.

I agree with you but found many non-believers in other threads. Now please do the world a favor by trying the Chipotle's on New Montgomery St. (I think--I get confused and it could be 2nd St.) between Mission and Howard and tell me why it's so crowded at lunch time. It's not that there aren't better alternatives like El Faro.

PS--I can't bring myself to eat there and explore this myself, but you admit you have tried other Chipotle's so please take one more for the team.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 12:44:50 (permalink)
BT I will give it a shot when I'm in that part of town. El Faro is even better than Chipolte's
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 13:07:30 (permalink)
Ok, I'm back in this thread...

I've been to Chipolte about once a week since they opened near work. I think it is a cut well above other FF joints. The service is quick and they customize your order to your liking right on the spot. The service has always been friendly and greeted me warmly.

The manager has bought me lunch twice, (after only a month of going there) just because I was a loyal customer. Name another FF joint or even restaurant that would do that.

The place is constantly being cleaned by staff or management.

They cook and make all the food right behind the counter for all to see.

The pork is from Nimin Ranch were the little piggies are "free range". They plan on using some organic ingredients in the future.

It's a bit more than regular FF$$, but I think it's well worth the additional cost due to the better ingredients.

Plus I'm addicted to the Carnitas Tacos!!! Help me!!!
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 13:09:33 (permalink)
Well I must say two things. #1 - I appreciate all the responses and comments, #2 - I'VE YET TO MAKE IT! Almost went last Friday but the group chose "Crispers" instead. Tell me this(those who have eaten there)I want a pinto bean burrito with lettuce(lite of course), peppers(jalapenos), onions, sour cream and cheese. I looked at the website, it doesn't say about these little extras. Will I get it? If not I'll go around the corner to Burrito Brothers.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 13:27:22 (permalink)
Hey axvawe! This is so far off topic I may get things thrown at me, but do you think the sun will ever shine through that fog on us and Chipotle's again? I'm getting really depressed. Losing my apetite even.
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 13:41:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Tell me this(those who have eaten there)I want a pinto bean burrito with lettuce(lite of course), peppers(jalapenos), onions, sour cream and cheese. I looked at the website, it doesn't say about these little extras. Will I get it? If not I'll go around the corner to Burrito Brothers.

Yes, of course. Do you honestly think there's a burrito place out there that doesn't have pintos, lettuce, jalapenos, onions, sour cream and cheese?
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 13:53:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Tell me this(those who have eaten there)I want a pinto bean burrito with lettuce(lite of course), peppers(jalapenos), onions, sour cream and cheese. I looked at the website, it doesn't say about these little extras. Will I get it? If not I'll go around the corner to Burrito Brothers.

Yes, of course. Do you honestly think there's a burrito place out there that doesn't have pintos, lettuce, jalapenos, onions, sour cream and cheese?

I would honestly hope not!
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 14:18:20 (permalink)
BT as I speak the beautiful California sun is out and shineing, still a little overcast. But the sun shine on Chipolte's? No Way, Aint gonna happen. Usually when I look into these places they are empty or very lightly patronized. Maybe the one in the financial district is a different setting. I bet on weekends and after 4:00 p.m. they are pretty dead. Even home I can make a better Burrito with T.J.'s meat, my own salsa some guacamole, refrieds and whatever else I feel like.

And as you know over in the east bay there is some very good taquerias.

Chipolte's is another big chain trying to look like it isn't. Well it's time for me to go over to El Tepa for a little Chicken Mole.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 14:30:30 (permalink)
I keep trying to convince BT the best food in SF is in the east bay, but he won't believe me! The sun shines ...and there are yards with grass growing. Almost Andy Hardy-like....
Bill
joanie41
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 14:35:15 (permalink)
Hubby and I went to the new Chipotle's near our house the other day. Interestingly, this restaurant is right across the street from Baja Fresh, which is similar, but has a larger menu, and, in my opinion, is less "stark" inside.

We thought our meal was OK. Food was fresh enough. They screwed up my order...the gal who took it thought I wanted one soft and 3 hard tacos, when in fact I only wanted 1 soft taco. But we brought the extra home and had it for dinner. There are at least 3 Mexican chains (DonPablos, Baja, Chipotles) within 1.5 miles of my house, and all are OK, if not exciting. But I'm not exactly a Mexican food gourmand. I'm getting sick of all the restaurant chains in Columbia. Would rather see some exceptional independant restaurants, but perhaps our very high real estate costs around here drive start-up businesses away. Bummer!
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 18:24:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

in the east bay . . . . The sun shines ...and there are yards with grass growing. Almost Andy Hardy-like....
Bill

That must be where the famous "Berkeley Farms" cows are munching. Moooo!
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 18:37:53 (permalink)
Bill Voss,

Yea the East Bay is okay, but still miss that KC BBQ and Strouds, I didn't find to much great mexican style food in KC but some was pretty good. In the east Bay a lot of the Latino markets also have very good mexican style food at very good prices.

Here in the Bay area a lot like all area's but maybe more so because there are so many different cultures in the same area, the Bazaars and church/temple suppers and fairs offer great diverse foods, that are usally made by people who know what they are doing.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/24 19:03:08 (permalink)
I was just reading some college prof's thoughts about the best food in the Great Plains, and he called Kansas and KC's Mexican
Food Santa Fe Railroad Mexican, which actually makes perfect sense. The place we have eaten at since I was little was La Hacienda, at 3rd and Kansas Avenue, but all places in KC seem to serve the same style of Mexican food because I think all the waves of immigrants came from the same place, following the SFRR up the tracks. My friend back there told me about a combination Mex/Q place on rainbow that sounds intriguing, since it combines 2 major food groups. You are right, the diversity of cultures in the BA makes for some spectacular food, but good old American Home cooking was just about impossible to find. Sprouts and Kefir and kelp and stuff always seem to get in the way. And in spite of what folks there by the ocean will tell you, there is no great Q or fried chicken in the Whole of Northern California. (That should get this thread moving for another page or two)
Just had a friend passing thru KC stop at AB's, Stroud's, and LC's. I think it was a life changing experience for him. I wish I had a combination sandwich and fries right now.
Bill
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/25 03:32:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

And in spite of what folks there by the ocean will tell you, there is no great Q or fried chicken in the Whole of Northern California. (That should get this thread moving for another page or two)

You are right about getting the thread moving and you may be right about the lack of great fried chicken NOW, but you wouldn't have been until recently. For most of the 22 years I've lived here, great fried chicken was to be found at Powell's Place on Hayes St. (Emmit Powell, the owner, being a professional musician of some repute apparently), but I was recently told the place had closed. I haven't yet made it by to check, but if so, it's a great loss. http://www.sfstation.com/restaurants/powells/

And I have yet to find great Q but I think that's only because I personally reject anything but NC-style pulled pork on white bread with slaw. The places I've tried around here, even the ones highly rated by people I respect, tend more toward the brisket/ribs/sausages/chicken style that just doesn't do it for me.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Chipolte's 2004/08/25 04:03:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

Plus I'm addicted to the Carnitas Tacos!!! Help me!!!

Why? Can't you finish it on your own? Okay, pass some this way, but just this once.
My family is evenly split on the Chipotle debate. My wife and daughter don't care for it, while my son and I love it. Considering how the rest of my son's diet is, I welcome the chance to have him eat something that isn't deep fried.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1