Chipolte's

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Chipolte's 2005/07/21 02:28:07 (permalink)
Now you're talking. Ever enjoy the tamales at Liliana's in East LA below City Terrace?
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Chipolte's 2005/07/21 12:41:22 (permalink)
oooooo...heard about it. I used to work with a guy who grew up in that neighborhood and would always talk about that joint.

In other news I was inspired by all this talk of Mexican deliciousness to make my own homemade fajita burritos last night and they were both grande and excelente!
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8115
RE: Chipolte's 2005/07/22 00:29:31 (permalink)
I haven't figured out the draw that Chipotle's has.

Where's the flavor?

Their salsas just are so so.

Then again, I'm a Tito's girl!-
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Chipolte's 2005/07/22 06:29:11 (permalink)
When I go to Tito's, I'm usually equally drawn to Johnnie's Pastrami, and stand in between them alternating from foot to foot with indecision. Same when I go to Johnnie's.
mar52
Sirloin
RE: Chipolte's 2005/07/23 00:20:21 (permalink)
But where do you park?

Did you know that the 405 expansion almost took Tito's?

I would have died.
mar52
Sirloin
RE: Chipolte's 2005/07/23 00:22:08 (permalink)
Ya know...

Lucy's, Cinco de Mayo or whatever they call it now isn't bad either.

Great burritos.

Only thing lacking there is their service. It is not a FAST food place.
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Chipolte's 2005/07/26 20:38:27 (permalink)
Oh another one i left off...The Gardens of Taxco in West Hollywood. Dinner is prix-fixe and the service is authentic Old World Mexico. On my last visit I was brought a 7 course meal that's been on my mind since I paid the mildly affordable tab.

Great place to go for a family party or with any large group.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Chipolte's 2005/07/26 21:57:16 (permalink)
When I lived briefly in Berkeley, I grew to love the "mission style" burritos, filled with black beans, guacamole, etc..
Now, being back on the east coast, they are almost impossible to find...and I feel that Chipotle's has the best approximation to what I had in the San Francisco Bay area. Granted, it's not the same, but I applaud them for attempting to mass produce a product that at least attempts freshness.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Chipolte's 2005/07/27 08:58:19 (permalink)
Yes, it's chain food.

Yes, it's mass prodced.

Yes, it's more or less owned by the McDonald's corp

but

It's also darn tasty, filling, not too expensive, made to order, and very very quick in my experience. I have never had a bad or even mediocre meal at Chipotle.
julesleong
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Chipolte's 2005/08/02 03:09:07 (permalink)
[img][/img]
there's another place i know and i thought serves tastier mex fares. cute place, warm and friendly owners who call their family chain salsas mexican grill. they are kansas based and have 4 locations (i think). i visit their street location most often at 11240 W135th St and Nieman, Overland Park. others are mall spots. try them if you are anywhere near them. pretty good everything and their burrito can be bigger than chipotle's when you want it to be. best of all..... they are tastier and priced LOWER than chipotle's! try![img][/img]
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/11 21:22:16 (permalink)
I live in San Diego and have seen these places. I was even given a"free burrito" coupon when I donated blood to the Blood Bank. But since one isn't right nearby I haven't redeemed it. So after reading this post I went to see where the nearest one is. Their web site, excue me, is a frustrating one. Anyway, just thought I'd rub it in for you people jonesing for some good Mexican. Problem is here if you walk any direction blindfolded you'll hit a Mexican joint. See I got the Mexcian, but I don't have the BBQ, Pizza, Southern greats.

The question is should I bother to try this place?
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/11 22:14:00 (permalink)
I think Chipotle's is good for what it is. When someone wants "good" fresh reliable convenient Mexican/yuppie (- inspired) food and doesn't have the time-attitude to seek out "real" Mexican. Like Olive Garden for "real" Italian food.

What I find more interesting is just a few years ago chipotle (the pepper) was a fairly exotic and obscure ingredient and now its a Brand Name!!1 Hip-hip-hooray for American Marketing
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/11 23:14:29 (permalink)
Can everyone pronounce it correctly? Or is there a proper pronouncement? You say Chipotlee I say Chipotlay....
julesleong
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/12 00:50:47 (permalink)
i've heard:
"CHI-POL-TAY"
"CHI-POL-TE"
"CHI-PO-TLE" (as in the 2nd syllable of "LITTLE")
and of course, "CHI-POT-LAY" which i think is the most correct pronounciation....
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/12 13:08:03 (permalink)
Chip-oat-lay.

and I happen to like Chipotle. I also like the $3 'ritas!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18700
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/12 13:13:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Chip-oat-lay.

If "'ritas" means Margaritas then I have to ask how you got one at a Chipotle.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/12 13:19:27 (permalink)
quote:
quote:

Chip-oat-lay.

We have 'em here in Milwaukee and they're very good too!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/12 13:46:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

quote:
quote:

Chip-oat-lay.

The Chipotles in Milwaukee serve alcohol? Wow! If the ones around here did (although I'd opt for beer) I'd actually eat when I took my grandson there.
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1099
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/12 14:01:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

quote:
quote:

Chip-oat-lay.

The Chipotles in Milwaukee serve alcohol? Wow! If the ones around here did (although I'd opt for beer) I'd actually eat when I took my grandson there.

I think it varies by location. The one on Fifth Ave in Grandview serves alcohol, but I don't think the new one in Clintonville does. I have never had one but I heard from a friend of mine the the three dollar magaritas are awful. But they do have beer and I don't think they could mess that up.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/12 14:07:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

[

I think it varies by location. The one on Fifth Ave in Grandview serves alcohol, but I don't think the new one in Clintonville does. I have never had one but I heard from a friend of mine the the three dollar magaritas are awful. But they do have beer and I don't think they could mess that up.

Really? I didn't know. I've only been to the one in Gahanna and the one on East Broad.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/12 15:05:35 (permalink)
Gotta double check those Margaritas… at least here in crazy CA where there are different types of liquor licenses. Some are “fill bar” and some are just “beer and wine” and some places advertise a Margarita but make it with a wine (instead of tequila) and they don’t taste good.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Chipolte's 2005/09/12 17:41:01 (permalink)
The Chipotle's in DC sell Margaritas, wine, domestic and Mexican beers.

The margaritas are not great, but they're ok and cheap.

HotRodGuy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Chipolte's 2005/12/19 14:52:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Gaak! I cannot stand those Mission Burrito kind of places. The first time is "OK", but if you have to go back several times, well, I would just as soon go without.

Chain style pseudo "Mexican".

took the words out of my mouth
HotRodGuy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Chipolte's 2005/12/19 14:54:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CraigieFresh

Oh another one i left off...The Gardens of Taxco in West Hollywood. Dinner is prix-fixe and the service is authentic Old World Mexico. On my last visit I was brought a 7 course meal that's been on my mind since I paid the mildly affordable tab.

Great place to go for a family party or with any large group.

ahh the Gardens of Toxico, some mean margarittas!!
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Chipolte's 2005/12/19 15:28:53 (permalink)
Pronounciation: Chee-poht-lay

"I" in Spanish is pronouced "ee" and "e" is pronounced "ay"

Vowels, a,e,i,o,u in Spanish ah,ay,ee,oh,oo
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Chipolte's 2005/12/21 15:43:21 (permalink)
I've only eaten at Chipotle's once, but I really liked the soft shell tacos that I ordered. The salsa was ok.

There is a very similiar Mexican restaurant near me called Moe's (http://www.moes.com/index.php) that has pretty much the same food, same atmosphere, etc. It's decent; I remember the food being very fresh, and unless you requested otherwise, most tacos, burritos, etc. came with a nice serving of black beans inside them.

Now, The Mexican Post (http://www.mexicanpost.com/) has GREAT Mexican, in my opinion. It has four locations (the Wilmington, DE location is closest to me), and I have gone there several times! I love their "California Burrito," it has seasoned ground beef topped with beef-and-bean chili, covered with melted cheese, and it comes with rice and beans. Yum yum.

~Jessica
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: Chipolte's 2006/01/19 10:20:27 (permalink)
We have a Chipolte's here in Live Oak in the Olympia Forum .The funny thing is it is right next door to Chili's.Had the barbacoa tacos which were good,and the carnitas which also tasted good.Both are local favorites in the San Antonio area.Even the Super Walmart on nacodoches Road and H.E.B. Grocery chain sells these meats.It is i agree an industrial look which is odd since they are pedalling a limited mexican menu.
Picante Grill on Broadway and La Calesa on Hildebrand in the area of Incarnate Word university carry more of the interior mexican cooking.
Something we don't lack in this town is mexican food,and there are hole in the wall places on the south and west side who do it really good,but you have to ask a local where these places are.
And yes,we have Taco Cabana every where.
Also,Tomatillo on Broadway has good mexican food and on certain nights they have entertainment.They have a bar as well, and at most Taco Cabanas you can get margaritas and beer.
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Chipolte's 2006/01/19 11:26:22 (permalink)
I can finally chime in with my 2 cents after having lunch at a Chipotle's on Connecticut Ave in Washington DC Saturday. I had to take my son to DC last Friday as he is doing his spring semester there. Saturday we went food shopping with his roomates, then out for a quick late lunch before my 8 hour drive back to Rochester.

There is a Chipotle's right around the corner from his apartment, so we tried it. I can't complain although it is more fast food and has a limited menu compared to what I expected. I was looking forward to enchilada's which are my favorite, but that huge burrito was excellent. Hard to eat by hand as I had requested extra salsa and the wrap got quite messy. Next time, I will get it in the bowl with tortilla chips on the side.

For a fast food chain owned by McDonalds, I think Chipotle's was excellent. Tasty large portions of well prepared foods. I will go back for a quick bite the next time I am there, although I will also enjoy the multitude of Chinese, Thai, Indian, and other wonderful restaurants in his neighborhood.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Chipolte's 2006/01/25 14:17:36 (permalink)
Berndog, I used to live right there on Woodley Rd. at 2800.

That was the same Chipotle's I went to. I now live in NE DC near RFK Stadium, but I loved Woodley Park. and miss it.

The first time I moved to DC I walked from our orignial apartment in Glover Park to Adams Morgan and (being from upstate, NY)was shocked to see a building for Syracuse University in Woodley Park.

When in Woodley Park, order Chinese from Mr. Chen's Organic, it's a small hole-in-the-wall place so order to go or have it delivered. It's great. And wayyyy better than the others in Woodley.
avoid Thai Town, go to "Fourty-nine twelve" for Thai at 4912 Wisconsin Ave. Thai Town is disappointing.
The Indian restaurants are not that good. I can recommend better.
Avoid the Woodley cafe, food is just ok, and service is terrible terrible terrible.

Try the new diner on Calvert called Open City. Good food and drink in chic urban atmosphere. But still inexpensive.

Sake Club, great sake and sushi.

And Lebanese Taverna is good mediteranian food, but for even better mediterranian food, walk across the Ellington bridge towards Adam Morgan, and go to Mama Aisha's. Outstanding.

The italian restaurants are over priced as is the French restaurant in Woodley Park.

Other recommended:
Up the street in Cleveland Park is Vace's Italian Deli. great place to check out.
Murphy's for pub food in Woodley Park, or Ireland's Four Provinces in Cleveland Park for Irish food.
Pizza at the Brick Oven in Cleveland Park.
sit down Chinese at Yenching Palace in Cleveland Park
Coffee and a breakfast bagel at International Cafe in Woodley Park.

Happy hour at the Indian restaurants in Woodley Park are good too. If the weather is nice, sit outside, have some appetisers and really really cheap (for DC) drinks.

[Cleveland Park is about eight blocks north of Calvert St. not far at all, no need to Metro from woodley Park.]
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Chipolte's 2006/01/25 14:33:44 (permalink)
I just had to jump in here and say after starting this thread almost a year ago to the day, I still haven't tried Chipotle's. With a non-chain mexican restaurant right around the corner(insert Burrito Bros. plug), my car seems to accelerate as opposed to brake.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1