Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chipolte's

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 152
MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
RE: Chipolte's Thu, 01/26/06 12:41 AM (permalink)
I, too, had my first Chipotle's experience at the Connecticut Avenue location in DC--I was staying at the Omni Shoreham across the street during the March for Women's Lives in April 2004. I honestly had no idea it was a chain, things looked good and after the march I dragged my exhausted self over to get a burrito. REALLY good, although they wouldn't let me take a beer out with me. There's now a few Chipotle's in Richmond, one about five miles from my house, but I haven't gotten there yet since my husband refuses to eat any Mexican food that isn't fajitas.

slaster

• Total Posts: 6
    RE: Chipolte's Sat, 07/8/06 6:50 PM (permalink)
    i'd have to say i'm anti-chipotle... i tried it once and was totally underwhelmed. i also hate mcds, etc so that doesn't help any-- if i want to eat at a make-your-own type burrito place, i'd rather pay someone besides ronald mcdonald to serve up my grub. i am quite taken with a similar texas (?) chain called 'freebirds' and could eat there daily. great hot salsa too. mmm.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
      RE: Chipolte's Sat, 07/29/06 12:45 PM (permalink)
      As much as I don't like the Scottish place, I've been to Chipotle's a few times a really liked it. I had the carnitas burritos and carnitas crispy tacos. The pork was moist and very flavorful. I liked the choices of salsas: a red tomtillo, green tomatillo, traditional, or a corn and roasted chile. Hot and tasty. But the deal closer for the was the guacamole. I'm really fussy about it and wouldn't eat it for years because most places made it in a blender or food processor and it was just a paste. But Chipotle had a really chunky style that is quite fresh. I hope their philosophy about supporting local and sustainable agriculture is true.

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Chipolte's Sun, 07/30/06 5:46 PM (permalink)
        had lunch at chipolte's in nyc (7th ave & 26th st) last thursday. looked pretty good but all i know is that i suffered for the next 36 hours and i've got a pretty strong stomach. think i'll stick to the taco truck on the corner of 96th and broadway around the corner from where i live. so i guess that's a "i would keep walking"

Jaybomb

• Total Posts: 29
          RE: Chipolte's Thu, 09/21/06 10:35 PM (permalink)
          I've only ever eaten at a single Chipolte's in Frederick MD that has been open for maybe a year.

They're quite decent.

Want to know WHY you don't like it? You get burritos. Losers. Who gets burritos? How boring can you be to want a burrito? I'm falling asleep here simply THINKING about tired burritos.

They make a good pork salad, and damn fine steak tacos. I haven't gotten anything else there. They provide heaps of guacamole, beans, salsa verde, and lime to sum of some damn efficient Tex Mex.

Some of you whiners need to dry your eyes and stop buying burritos.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
            RE: Chipolte's Mon, 09/25/06 3:56 PM (permalink)
            I have heard of FreeBird's,but I don't think there are any in San Antonio yet.
            When at the Chipolte in Live Oak,I have always gotten the tacos,carnitas and barbacoa with gucamole.
            Gucamole was very good and fresh,and I like how the meat is seasoned.
            Never been sick at the one by me.It's like all chains,some locations very good and others stink.
            Have to go to Culebra Meat market and by some carnitas and make it myself.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
              RE: Chipolte's Wed, 10/4/06 8:59 PM (permalink)
              I always get the soft taco carnitas with the hot salsa. straight and to the point. no muss, no fuss, and pretty tasty. beats the hell out of taco bell!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                RE: Chipolte's Wed, 10/4/06 10:40 PM (permalink)
                I'm still trying to figure out why this thread about a fast food chain is not in the fast food chain section. Does it have anything to do with being politically correct? If so, then I'd suggest that as long as McDonald's owns it PC doesn't work here.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  RE: Chipolte's Wed, 10/4/06 10:48 PM (permalink)
                  This thread is not in the fast food because people just dont know better...I was never told the "rules"-besides-who really cares?

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Chipolte's Wed, 10/4/06 11:33 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by annpeeples

This thread is not in the fast food because people just dont know better...I was never told the "rules"-besides-who really cares?

People do really care. A few people constantly scour these boards looking for misplaced threads and suspicious newcomers. The real question is, WHYdo they do this? I've never understood.

TheHotPepper.com

• Total Posts: 322
                      RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/5/06 12:58 AM (permalink)
                      All national chains suck.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                        RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/5/06 1:07 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by annpeeples

Uh oh, your going to be in trouble.

TheHotPepper.com

RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/5/06 1:20 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

But they're good when you want sucky food.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                            RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/5/06 9:38 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

nice generalization. competely untrue, but hey, generalizations generally are.

pun intended, of course

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                              RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/5/06 4:57 PM (permalink)
                              not all Chipoltles are the same. I've been eating at one in Crystal City (Arlington, VA) nearly every day lately. The salad is fantastic and a good deal for 6.45. I'm low carbing it, so I get the lettuce, peppers and onions, chicken, salsa, sour cream, cheese and dressing. It's a lot of food too. It's very good. And I've had the same meal at the Chipoltle in my old neighborhood in DC (Woodley Park) and the food is not nearly as good. Also, in Crystal City the staff is extremely pleasant, they smile, even the guys at the grill and the prep workers in the back, they all smile, are cheery, and you can tell they all get along. I dunno what it is about this particular location, but all my co-workers agree that the food and service at this one is ten times better than at other locations.

ann peeples

RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/5/06 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                twinwillow-i know I could be in trouble but ,My goodness-newcomers dont know things that the trolling police look for-just trying to help...

ann peeples

RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/5/06 10:31 PM (permalink)
                                  ....and pigiron-I DO care-just making a point...you know what I mean...

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                                    RE: Chipolte's Fri, 10/6/06 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

Morton's Steak House is a national chain.

desertdog

RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/12/06 6:51 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

Ever been to Houston's?

TheHotPepper.com

RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/12/06 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                        No. Is it good? I know that is a generalization, but it's true because if you go national, you have to change from local vendors to a food supply company for consistency throughout the chain, and fresh homemade recipes go to frozen foods and cans.

desertdog

RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/12/06 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                          Houston's is a mid to upper level restaurant chain, NOT franchised. All products are fresh and top-quality. My brother was a chef with them for 12 years, the kitchen is spotless and quality control is excellent. The food from the baby back ribs to the burgers to the fresh fish are very above average and consistant. Same with the service.

Spinach Artichoke Dip is supposed to be a Houston's creation, and for my money it is still the best I've had. Give it a try sometime. I suppose they have a website showing locations, etc.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                                            RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/12/06 10:05 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

if you go national, you have to change from local vendors to a food supply company

Another generalization, and also incorrect as stated - as an absolute truth.

desertdog

RE: Chipolte's Thu, 10/12/06 10:12 PM (permalink)
                                              you're right, TJ. I know for a fact that Houston's uses mostly local suppliers.

Woo

• Total Posts: 64
                                                RE: Chipolte's Thu, 12/27/07 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                                Just wanted to correct earlier posts: this place has nothing to do with McDonald's. It is not a franchise or an offshootof McDonald's. It was started and owned by one guy who has turned it into the hottest stock option for fast food at the moment. At least he is in favor of animals treated humanely and buys from places that do, unlike most places that don't care.
                                                BTW, It's Chipotle.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                                                  RE: Chipolte's Fri, 12/28/07 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                                  Pardon my intrusion but I have lived in San Diego, I now live in Texas and Chipotle my be fine but when all is said, it's a chain, just like Chili's, just like Chuy's and at the bottom of the pile Taco Turdo. I only deal with Mexican restaurants and all that implys. Like Jalisco in Imperial Beach Don Diego in Chula Vista you know the genre. Chains are just that. Can't put lipstick on a pig.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                                                    RE: Chipolte's Fri, 12/28/07 5:02 PM (permalink)
                                                    And by the way, how do you humanely kill something and then eat it?

dannybotz

• Total Posts: 357
                                                      • Location: Branchburg N.J.
                                                      RE: Chipolte's Fri, 12/28/07 5:04 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by desertdog

you're right, TJ. I know for a fact that Houston's uses mostly local suppliers.

Their ribs are Outstanding!! Ive' heard more than one person say they are the best they have EVER had!!

For me they were pretty close! No disrespect to some of the K.C. and Texas and Carolina Joints!!

Woo

RE: Chipolte's Fri, 12/28/07 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                                        So true, Brisketboy. Should have been clearer that they only buy from people who humanely raise them, in that they give them room to move around and not in small cages so they can't, no antibiotics and fed vegetarian diets. I'm not saying the place is good or bad, I was just clearing up the misconception it is owned by McDonalds, and the guy who owns them seems like a stand up guy.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                                                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          RE: Chipolte's Fri, 12/28/07 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Woo

Just wanted to correct earlier posts: this place has nothing to do with McDonald's. It is not a franchise or an offshootof McDonald's. It was started and owned by one guy who has turned it into the hottest stock option for fast food at the moment. At least he is in favor of animals treated humanely and buys from places that do, unlike most places that don't care.
                                                          BTW, It's Chipotle.

Exactly nine days after I wrote that Chipotle is owned by McDonald's, on October 13, 2006, McDonald's divested itself of Chipotle Grill. Prior to Oct. 13, 2006, McDonald's was the majority owner of the Chipotle chain.

Woo

• Location: Wooster, OH
                                                            RE: Chipolte's Sat, 12/29/07 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                                            Thank you Michael for pointing that out, I did not know that. Just read about it on Wikipedia - McDonald's made some money on that deal!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 152

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com