Chipolte's

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
2004/01/23 10:24:16 (permalink)

Chipolte's

Juat read where we're getting another "mexican" restaurant called "Chipolte's". They originated in Denver and have more than 300 locations throughout the US. No two restaurants look alike. Anyone ever eaten at one?

151 Replies Related Threads

signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/23 10:32:50 (permalink)
    From my limited knowledge, Chipotle is owned by McDonalds. It seems to be a hit wherever they have opened. I have only eaten at one (Rosslyn, VA) but it was good and I would return. They serve a limited menu of burritos, with everything pretty much cooked and assembled right in front of you. They're big and good and cheap ($5-6). It's almost cafeteria style and then you find an available seat.

They are opening one here in Baltimore's Inner Harbor, which will be nice if you are a tourist, or work in the immediate vicinity. They have chosen a location with no parking. Well not really true, only that the cost to park nearby would cost more than your meal.

www.chipotle.com Site is too cute for it's own good
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/23 10:34:56 (permalink)
    I believe they are owned by McDonalds. Big burritos stuffed with rice, beans, choice of meat in a big flour tortilla. They have a few other menu items such as tacos too. Usually the decor is very modern-polished wood, metal, etc. You walk up and place your order, move down the line to to have them add rice, beans, etc. choices.

Food is pretty good, I don't go out of my way to have it though.
    Rusty246
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/23 10:44:21 (permalink)
    This one will be walking distance from work, right along with Burrito Brothers Taco Company(favorite)Tiquana Flats, you get the picture. I like the "move down the line" procedure, as I like "light lettuce", no rice, etc. I hate when they pile up so much lettuce that that's all you taste. Such as the case with Subway, if you don't pay attention and really specify how you'd like it made, it may as well be a veggie sub.
    Looks like I may have something to look forward too!
    signman
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/23 10:46:47 (permalink)
    Rusty, check out the link to their website, I just added it. Be prepared for a frustrating experience though.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/23 10:47:49 (permalink)
    Gaak! I cannot stand those Mission Burrito kind of places. The first time is "OK", but if you have to go back several times, well, I would just as soon go without.

Chain style pseudo "Mexican".
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/23 10:49:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Gaak! I cannot stand those Mission Burrito kind of places. The first time is "OK", but if you have to go back several times, well, I would just as soon go without.

I would rather have an "enchirito"
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7670
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/23 11:07:59 (permalink)
    quote:

Couldn't agree with you more Lone Star!
    Rusty246
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/23 11:18:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Well bust my bubble! That's pretty much all we have here, only one authentic place, Las Margaritas, the best white cheese dip ever, and it's owned and operated by Mexicans. As far as I know it's not a chain.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/23 11:22:44 (permalink)
    I like Chipotle and yes they are owned by McD but I like the fact that everything is fresh, made right in front of you and mine has the option of skipping the tortilla and having everything put into a bowl. I think the meat is spiced nicely and I usually pick the hottest salsa.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/01/25 02:10:42 (permalink)
    Chipolte's arrived in Milwaukee a few years after a similar chain, Qdoba, arrived. Granted they are pseudo-Mexican, but they are a nice alternative where you can choose exactly what you get in your tortilla or your bowl. But I thought that Chipolte's was bland compared to Qdoba and I won't be going back. Funny how two such similar restaurants can seem so different to me.
    autumneyez04
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/19 04:45:28 (permalink)
    OH MY GOSH! I LOVE CHIPOTLE'S!!! I've been several times, each time a pleasant experience

Huge Burritos so big you gotta eat them with a fork or spoon. Tortillas are like 12 inches wide or more! Lime infused rice, spicy corn, nice chunks of spicy meat, several sauces from mild to extremely hot, along with lettuce and tomatoes, with sour cream and guacamole! I can hardly finish one burrito but refuse to throw it away it is so good. I can't wait to go back again.

Very laid back and cafateria style... go down the line and tell them what you want in your burrito...the sky is the limit!

ONLY 6 BUX!!!!
    ap2autumneyez04
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/20 18:01:08 (permalink)
    chipotles is awesome
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/20 20:31:39 (permalink)
    I ate at the one in my neighborhood - quite all right; as franchise fast food goes it's darn good...I'm just anxious that places like these can displace independent joints that did it first and better. I'm specifically thinking of the demise of Tortilla's on Ponce de Leon here in Atlanta.

At least I still have Raging Burrito in Decatur...and at least Chipotle's isn't aggressively 'cute' like Moe's!
    blake76
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/20 23:00:35 (permalink)
    In Colorado Springs, I stayed the heck away from Chipotle, and happily went to the very-small-but-loved-by-locals Taco Stand on South Academy--authentic, cheap, fresh Mexican food. What I would do for an order of their taquitos and fresh guac, right now, I don't know. However, here, in the middle of Missouri, I have a harder time finding authentic Mexican. So.....Chipotle ain't bad, temporarily. Once I discovered that you could just get veggies, meat, and cheese (instead of what seemed like that plus four cups of rice), I was pretty happy. And their music isn't all bad, either. My family pronounces the name as, "cheep-oaltay," instead of "cheep-oat-lay," which drives me a little nuts, but, then, I'm a gringo, too....
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/20 23:28:00 (permalink)
    We have Chipotle's everywhere in Columbus. It's not bad. I think it's a little bland for Mexican but it does make for a filling lunch and they do a good job of getting you in and out quick. I would say that it is just a couple of notches above Taco Bell because of better ingredients. However, bottom line is that it is still a chain. And once you've eaten there a couple of times you've pretty much experienced all they have to offer. Like Lone Star said, it's ok at first but after a while I'd just rather skip it.
    autumneyez04
    Hamburger
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/21 15:31:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blake76

In Colorado Springs, I stayed the heck away from Chipotle, and happily went to the very-small-but-loved-by-locals Taco Stand on South Academy--authentic, cheap, fresh Mexican food. What I would do for an order of their taquitos and fresh guac, right now, I don't know. However, here, in the middle of Missouri, I have a harder time finding authentic Mexican. So.....Chipotle ain't bad, temporarily. Once I discovered that you could just get veggies, meat, and cheese (instead of what seemed like that plus four cups of rice), I was pretty happy. And their music isn't all bad, either. My family pronounces the name as, "cheep-oaltay," instead of "cheep-oat-lay," which drives me a little nuts, but, then, I'm a gringo, too....

Oh goodness, no offense, I'm just shocked someone could compare Chipotle's to a Mexican stand. A friend of mine lives in Houston where the mexican stands are seen on every corner almost. They are referred to as a Roach Coach. Usually dirty I dont see how Chipote's could get old to anyone. There is 4 different kinds of meat to choose from and you can specify wether you want rice or not and how much! wierd. I guess I'm just a hardcore fan of the place. I've only had it 3 times and can't wait to frequent Houston again to visit the place.
    blake76
    Junior Burger
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/21 17:14:28 (permalink)
    Actually, Autumneyez, "Taco Stand" is just the restaurant's name; it's housed in what must formerly have been the world's smallest Pizza Hut. It's not a roach coach; I have yet to find one of those I'll actually buy food from, though I'm sure there are some that defy the stereotype.
    autumneyez04
    Hamburger
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/21 18:26:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blake76

Actually, Autumneyez, "Taco Stand" is just the restaurant's name; it's housed in what must formerly have been the world's smallest Pizza Hut. It's not a roach coach; I have yet to find one of those I'll actually buy food from, though I'm sure there are some that defy the stereotype.

OH goodness I do apologize for thinking Taco Stand was what we call a roach coach, a small mobile trailer. Again, please accept my apologies.
    blake76
    Junior Burger
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/22 00:43:28 (permalink)
    No problem. You know what else I like about Chipotle? The local one, at least, is run by a guy who actually likes students (seeing as they're 95% of his business, I guess it makes sense): one day, as I was standing in line, watching my burrito bowl graduate from meat to toppings, the manager cried," Anyone got a paperclip?" We all stared at him. "For anyone in line who can produce a paperclip, lunch is on the house." Everyone in line tears through his bag, and ecstatically rips a paperclip off a term paper. (Ok, I took one off one of my students' papers.) Lunch was on the house for about twenty students. Either this is a guy who knows his clientele, or he's really hard up for office supplies. Love the Chipotle. Sorry for hogging this thread!
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/28 12:13:41 (permalink)

CHIPOTLE ALERT: FREE FOOD!!!

If you eat at Chipotle's tomorrow, Sunday, FEBRUARY 29th, they are running a special promotion. Save your receipt from your burrito purchase on this day, and bring it back during next week (until Saturday March 6th). They will give you a FREE burrito!!! Not a bad deal. Details are at their website, www.chipotle.com

ENJOY!!!!
    signman
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/28 14:19:17 (permalink)
    jm, Thanks for the heads up. I looked at their website, which is very clever, but absolutely sucks if you want to find information fast or easy. I couldn't find any information on the site. Can you post a link?? Thanks
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/28 14:33:21 (permalink)

Signman, I received an email from Chipotle's this week with the promotion. I tossed it after reading it. It is good nationwide at ALL Chipotle's. By the way, the guy with the shaven head on the website is a fellow Pittsburgher, Joe Stupp!

Sign up for their email lists. They send out periodic updates for free burrito days which are held 4-6 times each year.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/28 17:39:28 (permalink)
    Carnitas are what bring me into Mexican restaurants. Carnitas at Chipotles are OK, but small in portion, and not greasy enough.
    signman
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/02/29 01:28:00 (permalink)
    Thanks jm, I signed up for their list. I like free food. I also took the opportunity to tell Joe what I thought of the website.
    Richard Brooks Alba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/03/20 18:52:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Well bust my bubble! That's pretty much all we have here, only one authentic place, Las Margaritas, the best white cheese dip ever, and it's owned and operated by Mexicans. As far as I know it's not a chain.

The authenticity isn't in who makes the food - it's in who EATS the food! (There are plenty of Mexicans working in Taco Bells all across this great nation of ours, remember?) They make what you buy - they starve otherwise. And just like with any other cuisine - you can't expect it to be authentic just because you like it.
    Buen provecho,
    Richard
    Berkeley/SF, CA

P.S. Chipotle? I ate at one once to verify that it would be as lousy as I expected - & it didn't disappoint. The "flavor-lite" franchise mentality left me underwhelmed.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/04/15 04:02:52 (permalink)
    Authentic or not, I love Chipotle. It's one of the few places I can go and get a quick, consistent, tasty meal without taking out a loan. As an added bonus, my son also loves it, which makes it the perfect place to go for our occasional "boys night out".
    josh123
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/07 17:24:15 (permalink)
    When is Chipotle's expanding to Upstate New York. There are no chain Mexican Restaurants up here.
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/07 18:28:14 (permalink)
    We ate at one once in DC and were completely underwhelmed. Totally lacking in flavor, but you got plenty for your money.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Chipolte's 2004/07/07 19:34:56 (permalink)
    quote:

Oh goodness, no offense, I'm just shocked someone could compare Chipotle's to a Mexican stand. A friend of mine lives in Houston where the mexican stands are seen on every corner almost. They are referred to as a Roach Coach. Usually dirty I dont see how Chipote's could get old to anyone. There is 4 different kinds of meat to choose from and you can specify wether you want rice or not and how much! wierd. I guess I'm just a hardcore fan of the place. I've only had it 3 times and can't wait to frequent Houston again to visit the place.

Enjoy Chipotle's as long as you understand that it's a chain, cleaned up version of the "Mission-style" taquerias all over San Francisco, most of which are acceptably sanitary and offer not 4 but maybe 10 kinds of meat (including such things as brains and tripe I'm sure Chipotle's will never serve).

Now somebody else in this thread has already trashed the "Mission-style" burrito (as in San Francisco's Mission District) and I'll have to disagree. We all know they aren't "Mexican". But I still enjoy them and if you are a student or an artist or any other impecunious person looking to get your tummy filled up with something you can taste on the way down, they are a life (not to mention wallet) saver. Give 'em a break!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1