Chipotle in adobo

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/01/13 16:38:36 (permalink)

Chipotle in adobo

I just bought a can of chipolte in adobo. Now I need suggestions about what I can do with it. Ideas/

25 Replies Related Threads

Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/13 16:46:48 (permalink)
    You have just bought one of the greatest products available today. The ways is can be used are countless. The smoky heat they bring to any dish is excellent. I mix them in ground beef when I make Hamburgers, add them to dip, nacho cheese,mix with ketchup and grind up for french fries,put them in spaghetti and pizza sauce, add to any salsa. In my opinion this is a cooking staple like Siracha, 6 in 1 canned tomatoes, Chulula, and dried Jalepeno and Ancho Chilis....Russ ....Have fun with a truly great product.
    Lcky7eleven
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/13 16:54:48 (permalink)
    I like to add a Chipotle or two chopped up in my chili and then I add a little bit of the adobo too. That stuff is so good!
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/13 19:26:22 (permalink)
    I'm not sure why I am not so keen on that stuff. I'll have to try more brands, anyone have a favorite, or one you hate? My god, I just threw away a really big jar of sliced jalapenos, they were just inedible, had a really weird, metallic, mixed with sugar, or something flavor. How do you say UGH! in espanol? I think it was Montecito brand. This is odd, I have never had a complaint with any other brands, mostly canned. Embasa, et al. But be warned about Montecito. Like $5 down the drain.
    Anybody seen ripe, canned serranos? I read somewhere that some folks don't like ripe (red) serranos, but I don't know why. To me, especially in jalapenos, the green quality (chlorophyl, or whatever) is a bit too much, and I always poke around in the bins for orange or red chiles. On habaneros, I never see anything but the orange ones. That's okay, the ripe ones are hot enough!
    But on chipotles, yeah, I can see them maybe going into eggs, with some of that spicy sausage, you know what I mean. And I always like sprinkling a little cracked red pepper (like folks use on pizza) in pasta dishes, even without any tomato sauce. It might be interesting to throw some chipotles into pasta, and here's a good question for ya'll: About ten years ago, I was fond of a Stouffer's frozen product, I have not seen anything like it lately. It was a "mexican" pasta, made with corn meal, I thought it was really good. I'll recreate the thing if I can locate the "pasta".
    Okay, bon appetit, ya'll!
    -Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/14 09:42:04 (permalink)
    Like Russ, I consider them to be a staple in my larder.

Firstly, when you open the can, you do not have to use the whole thing right away. They will last for a while in a sealed container in the fridge. Just get them out of the can, though.

I think that they are most useful as a puree. Fish out the actual chiles, then stem and seed them. Run through whatever gadget you have that will puree them and the sauce together.

Simple Skirt Steak Marinade

6 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 medium scallions , minced
    2 tablespoons Chipotle/Adobo puree

Sweet Chipotle Dressing

1 T. diced yellow onion
    1 T. chopped garlic
    2 T. Dijon Mustard
    1/4 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 cup diced tomato
    2 T. chopped cilantro
    2/3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. salt
    2 T. honey
    2 T. Chipotle/Adobo puree

1/2 cup olive oil

Put everything except the oil in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Slowly add oil to running machine, until mixture is emulsified.

Tex-Mex Cole Slaw

Add 3/4 cup of the Chipotle Vinaigrette to 6 cups shredded cabbage.

Chipotle Mayo

Add 1 Tablespoon puree to 1 cup mayo.

Use for hearty sandwiches or burgers.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/14 13:14:53 (permalink)
    ooooh guys, yum, yum yum. I may buy another can asap.

(PS I looked up "adobo" on line and was surprised to see that it is not an exactly exotic term. I thought it was a specific ingredient or recipe, but apparently it means "spices")
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/15 10:41:12 (permalink)

You absolutely must try this!

Adobo Potatoes Au Gratin

1 clove garlic
    2 TBL Sweet Butter, softened
    2 1/2 LB Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled and sliced thin)
    2 TBL Finely chopped Italian Parsley
    Nutmeg
    2 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
    3 TBL Adobo Sauce (the sauce chipolte Chilis are canned in)
    1 Cup Gouda Cheese
    S & P

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Rub bottom and sides of medium sized baking dish with garlic, then smear butter over bottom and sides of baking dish.

In large mixing bowl, season the potatoes with S & P, add parsely and toss well. Grate Nutmeg over potatoes and toss again.

Layer the potatoes in the baking dish.

In a separate bowl mix the cream and Adobo suace together. Gently pour the cream over the potatoes. Shake the dish back and forth until the salt dissolves.

During baking, a crust forms. Carefully break it up and gently submerge it in the unbrowned cream. Bake until cream fully reduces to form a thick sauce and potatoes are soft, about 1 1/2 hours.

Sprinkle with gouda cheese and allow to melt. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

DD

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/15 17:29:12 (permalink)
    Great phots DD
    Now here's my Q: the chipoltles in the can I have are in red sauce ("adobo"?) but your photo is white, yellow and green. Did you drain off the red sauce or is it a different brand of chipotles or are there red flecks there that I don't see?
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/15 18:51:26 (permalink)
    All these suggestions are excellent. For many years I used the canned peppers in adobo, usually tossing part of the ingredients because I didn't need the total amount. The last few years I've been buying the dried Chipotles, grinding, storing in a pint jar and using the exact amount I need. Doesn't always replace the canned variety, however, most of the time for us.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/15 19:30:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Great phots DD
    Now here's my Q: the chipoltles in the can I have are in red sauce ("adobo"?) but your photo is white, yellow and green. Did you drain off the red sauce or is it a different brand of chipotles or are there red flecks there that I don't see?

The Adobo is the red sauce, and with this recipe it is mixed in with the cream. You are only using 3 tablespoons (i use more) which gives the potatoes a nice kick. You can see in the picture below that the cream has a slight redness to it.

I get nothing but rave reviews when I make this. It is a great potluck dish because people are expecting just regular au gratin taste and instead they get this spicy, flavorful chipotle taste.

Give it a go, you'll be glad you did! Just be sure to follow the directions about knocking down the crust on top as it cooks, I've found it adds to the taste.

boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/15 19:58:23 (permalink)
    Nice pics DDog!!! I love au Gratain potatoes and those look delish. I never thought of knocking down the crust that forms to add to the flavor. I will try that next time I make them. Now, onto the subject at hand. I love canned chipotle in adobo!!! I puree it and add it to B.B.Q. sauce. Gives it a nice kick. I have been making chipotle mayo for years! I use it to dress potato salad or any savory, creamy, salad. Even coleslaw will taste better. I also use it in my homemade enchilada sauce. The uses are as endless as your imagination. Have fun and eat well!

David O
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/20 17:54:23 (permalink)
    Wow, a client of mine, a nice Jewish boy from Mexico, just traded me some chipotles, for some el Pato salsa, now I need to get to work. He is saying this stuff is kick-butt good. There is not one word of english on the jar. I just want some hot ideas on what to do with it.
    -Scott Lindgren
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/20 17:58:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by salindgren

Wow, a client of mine, a nice Jewish boy from Mexico, just traded me some chipotles, for some el Pato salsa, now I need to get to work. He is saying this stuff is kick-butt good. There is not one word of english on the jar. I just want some hot ideas on what to do with it.
    -Scott Lindgren

Are they in a jar or can? Are they pickled? Read me the ingredients ok......Russ
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/20 18:40:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

-Scott Lindgren

Are they in a jar or can? Are they pickled? Read me the ingredients ok.Chipolte just means Jalapeno in Spanish.....Russ

I respectfully disagree Russ. Jalapeno is a chile pepper. Chipolte is the term for a ripe jalepeno, one that is no longer green, that is dried, then smoked. It's the smoking part that makes it a chipotle. Moritas are a small smoked dried chile sometimes labeled dried chipotle. No Mexican I've ever worked with ever called a jalapeno a chipotle or vice a versa.
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/20 19:05:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

quote:

quote:

-Scott Lindgren

Are they in a jar or can? Are they pickled? Read me the ingredients ok.Chipolte just means Jalapeno in Spanish.....Russ

I respectfully disagree Russ. Jalapeno is a chile pepper. Chipolte is the term for a ripe jalepeno, one that is no longer green, that is dried, then smoked. It's the smoking part that makes it a chipotle. Moritas are a small smoked dried chile sometimes labeled dried chipotle. No Mexican I've ever worked with ever called a jalapeno a chipotle or vice a versa.

Ok I stand corrected but I have never seen them in a jar before so I assumed that the were labeled incorrectly. I have them in cans of course and dried in there full state and crushed. Available in any mexican shop or from penzeys(Penzeys sells the crushed ones without seeds). Until very reciently I have never seen a dried jalapeno pepper. I currently use one labeled Chile Chipotle Ahumado.It comes in a bag from MiCostenita. Ingredients on the back say dried smoked jalapeno. And they are dried whole. I actually thought Chipotle meant smoked and dried Jalapeno because maybe they couldnt be sun dried but I guess I am wrong. I have tried to dry them in my dehydrator but have had poor results. I will do some more research on the product. However in all states it is an extremely versitle product and I use them just about everyday. Jalapenos that is in every form.....Russ
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/20 19:48:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Chipolte just means Jalapeno in Spanish
    Chipotle is a corruption of an aboriginal Mexican word from the Nahuatl (Aztecan) language.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/21 03:37:55 (permalink)
    Oh jeez, this will take a while. OK, what my buddy handed me is a (plastic) jar of chipotles. Now it gets complicated. I guess I'll have to post pix of the thing. Like I said, no english on the label, and get this: It's spelled "CHILPOTLE"! They are using this damned italic typeface that's very hard to read, too. I THINK the brand name is Lucero. Here's what I can say about the "Ingrediementes":
    1) chiles chilpotles (yup, you read it right)
    2) Vinagre de alcohol de cana
    3) cebolla

Oh, gosh, several other things I simply can't read, even with my glasses. Now, here are another couple of odd things about this product: Above the word "Chilpotle", it says "adobados". Not adobo. Go figure. Then, in splashy type it says "sin semilla". Whatever that means. Is that "without salt" maybe?

But, it looks to me as if there is a lot of confusion about this subject, and it was always my understanding that "chipotles" were red jalapenos that were smoked somehow, then packed in "adobo" sauce, whatever THAT is. Maybe there are multiple versions around "North America" (which means north of the Panama Canal, si?).

Well, we'll see about this wacky jar I got. I'll test them out in eggs, in cornbread, etc. Gimme more ideas, ya'll!

salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/21 03:45:37 (permalink)
    Yeah, I forgot to say that desertdog's pix are splendid. Natural light! Yes!! Turn off the flash, PLEASE. Take your time, shoot many, many digital shots. Put your elbows on the table. It's not film, it's free!
    -Scott
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/21 03:56:07 (permalink)
    Sin semilla = without seed
    adobado = marinated
    amini1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/21 05:35:37 (permalink)
    I make my chipotle mayo with half mayo, half sour cream and chipotles to taste. I just throw everything in a food processor add salt and pepper and give it a whirl. Sometimes I add a couple squeezes of lime juice.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/21 10:57:47 (permalink)
    quote:

Oh jeez, this will take a while. OK, what my buddy handed me is a (plastic) jar of chipotles. Now it gets complicated. I guess I'll have to post pix of the thing. Like I said, no english on the label, and get this: It's spelled "CHILPOTLE"! They are using this damned italic typeface that's very hard to read, too. I THINK the brand name is Lucero. Here's what I can say about the "Ingrediementes":
    1) chiles chilpotles (yup, you read it right)
    2) Vinagre de alcohol de cana
    3) cebolla

Oh, gosh, several other things I simply can't read, even with my glasses. Now, here are another couple of odd things about this product: Above the word "Chilpotle", it says "adobados". Not adobo. Go figure. Then, in splashy type it says "sin semilla". Whatever that means. Is that "without salt" maybe?

But, it looks to me as if there is a lot of confusion about this subject, and it was always my understanding that "chipotles" were red jalapenos that were smoked somehow, then packed in "adobo" sauce, whatever THAT is. Maybe there are multiple versions around "North America" (which means north of the Panama Canal, si?).

Well, we'll see about this wacky jar I got. I'll test them out in eggs, in cornbread, etc. Gimme more ideas, ya'll!

Here goes:

Chiles Chi(l)potle - fully-ripened, smoke-dried jalapeño chile

Vinagre de alcohol cana - Cane Vinegar

Cebolla - Onion

Sin Semilla - Seedless

Adobo is the Spanish word for seasoning or marinade. The noun form is used to describe the actual marinade or seasoning mix, and the term used for a meat which has been marinated or seasoned with an adobo is referred to having been adobada.

salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/21 23:10:10 (permalink)
    To MiamiDon: Thanks for the translations... Of course I already knew cebollas. I always order my chili fries "con cebollas". The term about "cane vinegar" is peculiar. And I guess I smoked too much pot decades ago to recall the phrase for "seedless". Ha.
    Okay, here's the rest of the ingredients, as best as I can figure:

Zanahoria
    Piloncillo
    Chile Ancho (duh)
    Ajos (this should be "garlics")
    Sal Yodalada (some type of salt?)
    Especias y Aciete Vegetal Comestible (you got me here)

As I said, this item is almost certainly not sold officially in the U.S. God only knows what other stuff we can't just run out and buy!

-Scott Lindgren
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/22 08:09:30 (permalink)
    quote:

To MiamiDon: Thanks for the translations... Of course I already knew cebollas. I always order my chili fries "con cebollas". The term about "cane vinegar" is peculiar. And I guess I smoked too much pot decades ago to recall the phrase for "seedless". Ha.
    Okay, here's the rest of the ingredients, as best as I can figure:

Zanahoria
    Piloncillo
    Chile Ancho (duh)
    Ajos (this should be "garlics")
    Sal Yodalada (some type of salt?)
    Especias y Aciete Vegetal Comestible (you got me here)

As I said, this item is almost certainly not sold officially in the U.S. God only knows what other stuff we can't just run out and buy!

-Scott Lindgren

Carrots, Brown Sugar, Ancho Chile, Garlics, Iodized Salt, Spices and Vegetable Oil.

I had to look up "iodized" (yodatada). It doesn't come up much in my kitchen/market spanish vocabulary.

Cane vinegar is vinegar made from fermented cane syrup. I have some in my cupboard. I think it is from Louisiana.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7392
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/22 23:10:00 (permalink)
    Make your favorite BBQ sauce and add a few chopped chipotles and some of the adobo sauce. And chipotle mayo ROCKS! Put them in anything that could stand a little bit of hot and smoky. Also very good on salmon.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1038
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/23 10:20:40 (permalink)
    Alton Brown used it in his chili on Good Eats.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Chipotle in adobo 2008/01/24 00:32:28 (permalink)
    Well, I'm gonna try it in rice, I just bought a box of "Farmhouse" brand Mexican Rice. I made rice last week, Zatarain's "Spanish" rice, and tossed roasted serranos in there. Bueno.
    I'll try the chiles in eggs, too, and maybe ground beef tacos.
    -Scott Lindgren
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1