Chipped Beef

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/07/16 14:04:23 (permalink)
My husband was a cook in the Army back during Viet Nam and the food he tells me about preparing sounds rather ok. On Sunday afternoons, they would grill steaks and have steamed Lobsters.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/07/16 14:39:09 (permalink)
My mom used to make fried bologna gravy. She would fry up Lebanon bologna that she had cut into wedges and make a flour/milk gravy with the bologna drippings. She would serve this over toast, just like creamed chipped beef. I used to love it.

Bologna gravy, sausage gravy, creamed chipped beef--all delicious!
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/07/16 15:36:36 (permalink)
We used to have bologna gravy also. I even remember having hot dog gravy. We would cut the weiners up in bite size pieces, split down the middle, brown them and then make gravy after we had browned them.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/07/20 16:36:59 (permalink)
I've only found a few places in CA that make the REAL chipped beef on either toast or biscuits----but it's well worth tracking down. I love it!
As for S.O.S.........grew up with that (ground beef type) being cooked on the weekends by my father. I really loved it. Don't think it would be the same if I made it.....
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/07/20 18:00:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Bushie
The little jars are sold by Armour Star brand.... Oh yeah, the noodles are still around also.
There are several convenience packaged frozen SOS entree's but I haven't tried any of them. It wouldn't be the same without the Ambiance of the Mess Hall.

Chipped beef is an essential ingredient of a favorite crock-pot recipe of mine (line bottom of pot with CB; wrap 4-6 boneless chicken breasts each with a bacon strip and place on CB; mix one can Campbell's mushroom soup with equal amount lite sour cream and 3 tbsp flour and pour over chicken; cook 8+ hours on "low"; serve with brown or white rice, noodles or whatever suits you).

Lately I have been unable to find the real thing. The stuff I can get at the supermarket these days in those infamous "little jars" is not "chipped" beef but compacted, formed and then thinly sliced beef food product--even the Armour brand. So that's what I use for the chicken, but it isn't the same.

Anybody have a source for good REAL chipped beef at a reasonable price?
practans
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 12:53:42 (permalink)
In the Southeastern PA/South Jersey area you can find Carson's Air-dried Beef in supermarkets. You can also find a brand called Knauss. Both come in a 3 or 4 oz package and are reasonably priced (>$3.00 per package) One package will make creamed chipped beef to serve 2 to 4, depending on appetite.
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:

Bushie
The little jars are sold by Armour Star brand.... Oh yeah, the noodles are still around also.
There are several convenience packaged frozen SOS entree's but I haven't tried any of them. It wouldn't be the same without the Ambiance of the Mess Hall.

Chipped beef is an essential ingredient of a favorite crock-pot recipe of mine (line bottom of pot with CB; wrap 4-6 boneless chicken breasts each with a bacon strip and place on CB; mix one can Campbell's mushroom soup with equal amount lite sour cream and 3 tbsp flour and pour over chicken; cook 8+ hours on "low"; serve with brown or white rice, noodles or whatever suits you).

Lately I have been unable to find the real thing. The stuff I can get at the supermarket these days in those infamous "little jars" is not "chipped" beef but compacted, formed and then thinly sliced beef food product--even the Armour brand. So that's what I use for the chicken, but it isn't the same.

RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 13:54:37 (permalink)
Alderfer is my favorite brand by far (and not just because of the cute mascot). Their product is much better than their website but here's a link:

http://www.alderfermeats.com/products.cfm?catid=9
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 13:54:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:

Bushie

My girlfriend made that same dish the first time she cooked dinner for me. Yes, BT----it is delicious!
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 14:11:23 (permalink)
I don't care if its chipped beef,sausage,or hamburg.
I like them all.
The old Zen's dinner in Pa.was great.
Also there is a dinner in Groton Ct that serves all three.
Can't remember the name.
Ralph Isbill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 14:35:05 (permalink)
During my Navy service, I ate a lot of chipped beef on toast. We refered to this not as sos but another name not to be used in polite company.

Sos was made with ground beef and tomatoes. Both of these meals was good and filling. There was a lot od griping about these dishes, of course there was griping about all the meale.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 14:43:52 (permalink)
This coming weekend is the Saturday that we prepare breakfast for about 75-100 people at our church. We are making chipped beef gravy,
biscuits, sausage patties, scrambled eggs, grits and canteloupe, served with various homemade jams and jellies, coffee, tea , milk and juice. This is an annual event and we actually have fun doing it.
Ralph Isbill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 15:01:45 (permalink)
Wish that I could be there

I hope that it goes well
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 15:20:17 (permalink)
My mother used to make creamed dried beef on toast. I loved it. We had a local locker plant where we would get the dried beef.

In the area, Iowa, there was a distinction between dried beef and chipped beef. As my memory serves me, the chipped beef came in little jars and the dried beef was a butcher thing. The beef that came in the little jars was too salty, which is saying a lot for me.

Cakes
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 18:25:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

Alderfer is my favorite brand by far (and not just because of the cute mascot). Their product is much better than their website but here's a link:

Thanks--This is probably what I want because my sister, currently living in Maryland, gets CB from somewhere in Pennsylvania (like Alderfer) that's very good.

Also:

quote:
Cakes said: In the area, Iowa, there was a distinction between dried beef and chipped beef. As my memory serves me, the chipped beef came in little jars and the dried beef was a butcher thing. The beef that came in the little jars was too salty, which is saying a lot for me.

I think the only real distinction is between good chipped beef and bad chipped beef (the stuff in jars being the bad kind).
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 20:16:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

My mom used to make fried bologna gravy. She would fry up Lebanon bologna that she had cut into wedges and make a flour/milk gravy with the bologna drippings. She would serve this over toast, just like creamed chipped beef. I used to love it.

Bologna gravy, sausage gravy, creamed chipped beef--all delicious!

Meowzart,
My distant relative Aunt Junie Shuman, who lived in Wauchula, Florida, used to take canned vienna sausages and make gravy from that juice. It took several cans' worth, of course, to get enough fluid. Her husband used to love it smeared on her heavy, lard-infused biscuits. I think he was something like 48 when he died....
Reaching Back, Ort. Carlton in Rainy Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Your mom's version sounds a lot better. I might even want to try it sometime!
P. P. S. Th'ain't nothin' beats a good homemade sausage gravy! I used to eat what was served in a marvelous diner in Nashville. The girl who made it was 18 and learned from her great-grandmother. It was so stunning that I would eat three servings of that gravy on her homemade biscuits. Funny part was, her boyfriend was so skinny he had to run around in a cloudburst to get wet, and he told me that he could eat four or five plates of biscuits and gravy and never gain an ounce. I had to lug heavy stuff around for an entire afternoon to lose the weight I gained from that splurge, but it was worth it.
P. P. P. S. If any of you can locate Patterson's Sausage Gravy in the can (it comes from a small regional packer in Sanford, North Carolina), it's the closest commercial product to homemade I've ever encountered... astonishingly good for a canned product. They also make a fine Brunswick stew in the can; my local Bell's Food Store has it.
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/05 23:34:46 (permalink)
Just returned from a family reunion in SE Indiana and had the famous dried beef cheese log. Wow! Salty and full of memories. This cheese ball/log is simply cream cheese with or without some finely chopped veggies or olives and rolled in chopped up dried beef chips. Yes,right out of the jar.
junk250
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/06 02:50:22 (permalink)
AL-THE-MAYOR ~ You struck a nerve...Armour Star Dried Beef.Take slices of beef bologna,and sit it in the hot summer sun for 4 days or so,then stuff into a small jelly jar and you have it!"A La Chipped Dried Beef".I believe is still for sale in your local grocery,(right beside the pigs feet).One slice will flavor gallons of condensed mushroom soup/gravy and toast.,S.O.S.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/06 09:08:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

WOW! I thought Stouffer's was expensive....look sgood enough to eat though.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Chipped Beef 2004/08/06 10:28:34 (permalink)
Many of the farmers markets in and around Lancaster, PA have meat stands which carry the fresh, chipped dried beef - either in thin slices (which make wonderful sandwiches with mayo) or chipped for SOS-type dishes. I grew up on the sandwiches and SOS (or as my Mom politely put it "dried beef and gravy on toast." It's a bit salty, but quite good.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1