Chips Family Meets lleechef and Lost In The Mail

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2007/07/31 08:15:21 (permalink)

Chips Family Meets lleechef and Lost In The Mail

The Chips Family was fortunate enough to meet two fellow roadfooders the second week in July. Lisa, our favorite Alaskan chef, was in Portland, Oregon training for her new job ans lead chef at the Anchorage Nordstrom's store. Wife Trudy and I met her at Dan and Louie's Oyster Bar in Portland's Old Town district. Lisa had what can best be described as Oyster Heaven with oysters on the half-shell and pan-fried oysters and I had my favorite, Oyster stew with a double portion of Yaqina Bay oysters. Lisa is an engaing story teller who has lived an adventurous life in Europe and now in Alaska. My favorite story is of the time she served the French president leftovers for dinner. We had a marvelous time talking.
Later in the week, Lisa had dinner with my son Sam, Trudy and me at Pho Vanh on S.E 82nd, a place I believe is Portland's best Vietnamese restaurant. Sam was full of questions about Alaska and Lisa answered them all with humor and grace. We ate a variety of dishes but I am embarassed to say I was more interested in the conversation than reviewing the food. I can't speak highly enough of Lisa and I look forward to seing her again. Z-Man is a fortunate fellow.
I also had the fortune to meet Lost in the Mail(Darlene) and her husband Mike at the Roadfood reviewed Annie"s Donuts for a brief visit. It was fun talking to them about their home state of Mississippi and providing a little advice for their travels. I had met Darlene at the Nashville tour and it was a real pleasure seeing her again.

5 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15221
    RE: Chips Family Meets lleechef and Lost In The Mail 2007/07/31 08:42:54 (permalink)

Chips,
    Thanks for the report on the socialization of Portland!! One of my favorite activities associated with this web-site is the exchange of greetings and meet-ups between members. No matter if it is just a one-on-one, or a group get-together, every one we have participated in has bee really neat. Lisa is,indeed, a Queen. We also met Darlene in Nashville and were pleased to share some conversation there. We are glad you were able to share these greetings with your new roadfood friends.
    AL
    lostnthemail
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 427
    RE: Chips Family Meets lleechef and Lost In The Mail 2007/07/31 21:08:26 (permalink)
    It was fun seeing you again. And I welcome you to my home state any time. I will be offended if you cross our state line and don't give us a call! Sorry we missed Trudy & Sam. Maybe next trip.

Darlene
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6751
    RE: Chips Family Meets lleechef and Lost In The Mail 2007/08/01 12:19:23 (permalink)
    mr chips, I was the fortunate one to have met you and Trudy not ONCE but TWICE during my week in Portland!! The bonus round was the second meet at Pho Vanh where I got to meet Sam who asked me a lot of questions about Alaska. (The same ones I asked 7 years ago......does it snow there in the summer?)

The night of our first meet, people at Nordstrom were asking me....what are you doing after work? To which I replied, I'm meeting friends for dinner. Oh, you have friends in Portland? Well, I've never met them before but I'll meet them tonight. I tried to explain the Roadfood thing, it just didn't sink in. They found it very bizarre. Whatever.

A great time was had by all and we ate good. Good food, good friends, it doesn't get better than that! And yes, Mr. Mayor this is possibly the best feature of Roadfood.......not only do you get recommendations on where to eat.........you get to meet the people!!!!!
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Chips Family Meets lleechef and Lost In The Mail 2007/08/04 10:50:50 (permalink)

This is a report that deserves photos to accompany the story. I consider lleechef to be a mystery person in some ways. Maybe it is modesty on her part, but I would like to see some of the dishes that she does prepare.

She writes:===To which I replied, I'm meeting friends for dinner... ...I tried to explain the Roadfood thing, it just didn't sink in. They found it very bizarre. Whatever. ===

I find it happens a lot. I have gone to places rated on this site and the owner/chefs don't even know of their ratings. I also find it odd that I have to explain my enjoyment of Roadfood and this site's ability to create new destinations and friends to the average person or professionals alike...

mark
    lostnthemail
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 427
    RE: Chips Family Meets lleechef and Lost In The Mail 2007/08/04 20:31:42 (permalink)
    Hubby made photos of Mr. Chips & myself in front of Annie's. Also, got a couple of shots of the doughnut case. I'm just not up on the ins & outs of posting them. During my spare (???) time, I'll brush up on that. I fear that I would post one of those pictures that is three screens wide
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1