The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chips and Son Say Farewell to Griffey: A Weekend Baseball Trip

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
Chips and Son Say Farewell to Griffey: A Weekend Baseball Trip Fri, 10/9/09 11:49 PM (permalink)
    Son Sam and I go every year to at least one Mariner game in Seattle. Sam's team success and schedule conflicts delayed us to the last two games of the season. We did a little roadfood but mostly our trip was dedicated to the Mariners. And it was a wonderful time for us both.
     We arrived at the ballpark Saturday night for batting practice but Sam did not come close to getting  a ball. We each enjoyed our favorite Safeco Field dishes, Sam, the Ivar's clam chowder and nachos, me the 7 piece Ichiroll sushi combo with chilled sake.
     The game itself was a well pitched well played game with the Mariners' Ryan Rowland Smith and relief corps leading the Mariners to a 2-1 victory. But the the most important  thing in the game was Ken Griffey Jr's home run, his 19th of the season and 630th of his wondrous career. Jr. hit .214 this year, drove in around 60 runs  but remained popular. Those of us who have followed his 20 year career were happy to  see him again in a Seattle uniform and have the chance to thank the man who helped make Seattle a baseball town. It very well might be his last major league home run and Sam and I were elated that we got to see it.
    Sun day morning Sam and I ate breakfast at Beth's Diner, a place that has been featured in the Roadfood books and on the Man Vs Food series on the Travel Channel. A large omlette is 12 eggs, a regular is 6 eggs. I consumed a 12 egg two years ago but more intelligently  this year split a 6 egg bacon, cheese, and avocado omlette with my son with much less upset to my stomach.
     Sunday's game had meaning. Mariner ace Felix Hernandez was making a strong run for the A.L. Cy Young and was going for his 19th win. The Rangers Scott Newmand was 17-6 and going for an impressive 18-6 season. Felix pitched well for 6 2/3  innings and left with a 4-3 thread. The Mariner bullpen held on and King Felix got win 19 and Mariner closer David Aardsma save number 38. But the most important historical event occured in the bottom of the 7th when Mr. Griffey lined a single to center. He was taken out for a pinch runner and I think we all realized at the same time that this might be the last at bat of his career. He got a 3 minute standind O and many of us wept in thanks for all the great moments he brought to Seattle baseball. I remember seeing him play as a rookie in 1989, the mad dash to the plate that won thhe 1995 ALDS over the Yankees, the the three  home run game I saw and innumerable fielding gems in the outfield. If he does not play again, I'm glad I experienced this weekend. 

After the game, Seattle players carried Griffey off the field on their shoulders and followed that by carrying Ichiro off the field. It was a fitting tribute to 2 of the best players ever to wear a Mariner uniform. Late season games are often boring but these two games made for a great weekend for Sam and me.
      Our last stop of the day was the roadfood reviewed PicWay drive in in Fife, Washington near Tacoma. This a 60 year drive-in that features cheap burgers and hand cut fries and old fashioned malts and shakes, There is no inside seating but there is a well-kept picnic area where very patient starlings wait eagerly for food spills. It was a great spot to end a very nice weekend
<message edited by mr chips on Sat, 10/10/09 9:44 PM>

BigGlenn

Re:Chips and Son Say Farewell to Griffey: A Weekend Baseball Trip Sat, 10/10/09 4:10 AM (permalink)
    Mr Chips.....Mariners Rookie first baseman Mike Carp is my best friends son. Our sons are ths same age......We hope Mike stays up in the big leagues next year. We will be following Mike and the Mariners next season for sure. Sounds like you had a good time at the game.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
      Re:Chips and Son Say Farewell to Griffey: A Weekend Baseball Trip Sat, 10/10/09 7:54 AM (permalink)
      Wow. Mr Carp has looked good and I wish him well. Much will depend on whether Russell Branyan re-signs with the M's.
      <message edited by mr chips on Sat, 10/10/09 10:19 AM>

RedJim64

• Total Posts: 128
        Re:Chips and Son Say Farewell to Griffey: A Weekend Baseball Trip Sat, 10/10/09 10:07 AM (permalink)
        Griffey, Jr. is a treasure in all of baseball.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
          Re:Chips and Son Say Farewell to Griffey: A Weekend Baseball Trip Sun, 10/11/09 4:13 PM (permalink)
          Rats!  I missed PicWay.  Thanks for the report chipsie!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
            Re:Chips and Son Say Farewell to Griffey: A Weekend Baseball Trip Sun, 10/11/09 8:23 PM (permalink)
            You paint a lovely picture of a very special Roadfood/baseball report!

Ken Griffey Jr. will always seem like a young man in my mind. I remember him when his Father played for the Yankees. A great player full of natural talent and a smile that always stated he loves the game of  baseball.
            <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 10/11/09 8:26 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com