Chocolate Cream Pie in Lexington, Ky

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Chocolate Cream Pie in Lexington, Ky 2004/03/03 06:03:53 (permalink)
Hey Katmaan, Here is the followup question: Can you tell me specifically what years you ate chocolate pie at the sandwich shop?

I used the correct address in every missive I sent you (three), but you only received the first one. One of those mysteries.
katmaan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Chocolate Cream Pie in Lexington, Ky 2004/03/03 07:40:12 (permalink)
Jiminky;

I think your emails are being eaten by my Spam Fighting Software which I am now figuring out. So try again.
I was in grad school at U of K from 1970-73
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chocolate Cream Pie in Lexington, Ky 2004/03/05 00:21:38 (permalink)
Katmaan, here's the lowdown on the chocolate pie at Lawrence's:

Lawrence's Sandwich Shop was sold shortly after Mr. Lawrence died in 1980. Linda G. bought it, named it Linda's Sandwich Shop, and ran it until October 2003. Beth Hanna, a former food writer from the local daily, now owns and operates the shop.

It took some time to track Linda down as she's retired and lives outside Lexington. I phoned long distance and had a very nice talk with her about the restaurant and the chocolate pie you so loved in the early 70s.

Linda doesn't think there was ever a homemade recipe for that chocolate pie. When she bought the restaurant from the heirs, she discovered a huge supply of instant chocolate pudding mix, which she immediately threw away. At the time she believed the mix was the filling for Mr. Lawrence's chocolate pies. She continues to think so.

During her years operating the shop, Linda served a homemade chocolate pie, using her own recipe. Though I lived directely across the street from Lawrence's in 1974 and lunched there frequently, I cannot remember having the chocolate pie.

I wish I could have given you a wonderful recipe. The good news is that this particular instant pudding (and pie filling) is probably still around. I wish I had asked Linda if she remembers a brand name (it could have been a common supermarket brand, or a institutional mix from a food broker). If you need to know, contact me. If you would like to talk directly with Linda, I'll ask her permission to share the phone number with you.
katmaan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Chocolate Cream Pie in Lexington, Ky 2004/03/05 08:22:15 (permalink)
Jiminky;

WOW! You went to a lot of work to get the low down on that pie. I can't believe it was instant pudding. I know pudding and unless they did some doctoring to it, its going to be hard to believe that it was instant. It is also a huge disppointment. I was expecting some secret combination of interesting ingredients. To think it just came out of a box is unreal. It was soooo good, really!

My girlfriend and I would go to Larwrences just for the pie. It was a very special treat.

I'm not sure if I should thank you or not. It like finding out that Santa wasn't real.

Oh well, sometimes it just hard to digest reality. Still, that pie will always stay in my memory as a special thing. Like my first bicycle, a Roadmaster by the way or my first kiss. Gee, I wonder now if that was fake as well???

Nevertheless, Jim, thanks for all the effort.

Happy eating.

Katmaan
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chocolate Cream Pie in Lexington, Ky 2004/03/08 04:05:02 (permalink)
Hey Katmaan, You are very welcome and I enjoyed trying to be of some assistence to you.

I think I can appreciate your disappointment. Such a revelation would be distressing for me. I really did hate to be the carrier of this news.

You have an interesting idea. Mr. Lawrence could very well have gussied up his pie filling. After all, he daily baked fresh hamburger buns and loaves of sandwich bread from scratch.

Again, if you'd like to speak directly with Linda, let me know. She's a very nice lady.
Angela Carpenter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Chocolate Cream Pie in Lexington, Ky 2008/11/13 06:51:55 (permalink)
I am the daughter of Virginia who worked for Mr. Sheets and then bought the restaurant from him and ran it as Laurence's Sandwich Shop for some years. She died in 1979 and I ran it for a year and then sold it to Linda Pennington who ran it for 20 years as Linda's. It is still going but now called Hanna's.
The chocolate pie recipe that someone is looking for is not a secret. There was nothing special about it.
Glad to hear that people still remember the place and that the recipes are wanted.
Angela Carpenter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Chocolate Cream Pie in Lexington, Ky 2008/11/13 06:56:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Katmaan, here's the lowdown on the chocolate pie at Lawrence's:

Lawrence's Sandwich Shop was sold shortly after Mr. Lawrence died in 1980. Linda G. bought it, named it Linda's Sandwich Shop, and ran it until October 2003. Beth Hanna, a former food writer from the local daily, now owns and operates the shop.

It took some time to track Linda down as she's retired and lives outside Lexington. I phoned long distance and had a very nice talk with her about the restaurant and the chocolate pie you so loved in the early 70s.

Linda doesn't think there was ever a homemade recipe for that chocolate pie. When she bought the restaurant from the heirs, she discovered a huge supply of instant chocolate pudding mix, which she immediately threw away. At the time she believed the mix was the filling for Mr. Lawrence's chocolate pies. She continues to think so.

During her years operating the shop, Linda served a homemade chocolate pie, using her own recipe. Though I lived directely across the street from Lawrence's in 1974 and lunched there frequently, I cannot remember having the chocolate pie.

I wish I could have given you a wonderful recipe. The good news is that this particular instant pudding (and pie filling) is probably still around. I wish I had asked Linda if she remembers a brand name (it could have been a common supermarket brand, or a institutional mix from a food broker). If you need to know, contact me. If you would like to talk directly with Linda, I'll ask her permission to share the phone number with you.
kingwell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Chocolate Cream Pie in Lexington, Ky 2009/02/19 10:59:06 (permalink)
It might not be the same recipe (for better or for worse) but Beth has done a great job with the restaurant/sandwich shop and her pies, including the chocolate cream, are fantastic!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1