The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Choux Factory (Manhattan)

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
Choux Factory (Manhattan) Mon, 12/6/04 10:04 AM (permalink)
I don't know if this is a better fit under the Dessert or Breakfast category.

I recently tried The Choux Factory, a postage-stamp sized store on First Avenue in Manhattan, between 48th and 49th streets. It specializes in Kona coffee, which I'm told is very good. But, I don't drink coffee, so can't weigh in.

I can weigh in, however, on the other specialty: a cream-puff type pastry called a choux. It's a thin, roundish, crispy pastry that the Choux Factory fills with either chocolate, strawberry or a plain custard. It's less sweet than a cream puff, almost like a cream-filled doughnut (but with a greater cream-to-shell ratio.) I've heard that this is popular in Hawaii, but perhaps someone else can confirm that.

In any case, I think they're great. Being a chocolate fan, I've had that type twice; can't get myself to try the others. I've had them for breakfast, but they could certainly be considered a dessert. Regardless of the time of day, I recommend trying one if you find yourself in the area. Seating is limited, so you might have to take them on the road.

Can anyone educate me about the choux (where they come from, etc.)?

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
    RE: Choux Factory (Manhattan) Mon, 12/6/04 11:30 AM (permalink)
    choux---or rather "choux paste", is the name of the "dough" that is used to make eclairs--cream puffs---baking shells---its very much a part of classic european cooking and for good reason--will probably be around a long time! My Mom used to make--or rather get the paste from her sister the caterer. and make large "Bowls" of it to serve with creamed chicken and peas or stews--or my favorite--pheasant cacciatore!!! its really loose and you can sqeeze it out of a pastry bag to shape what ever you want---choux [aste swans,were real big back then in the late 50's and 60's. My aunt did some amazings things with this stuff!--tell me--what form exactly did they take---my aunt made these little balls--like golf ball size and filled them with all kinds of stuff---raspberry preserve--marscapone cheese fillings--custards--whatever and arrange then so you never knew what filling it was till you bit into it---of course we kids saw my grampa and uncles pop them whole--my cousins and i called them Big Bite---LOVED THEM!! Wondr if that is what you got

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
      RE: Choux Factory (Manhattan) Mon, 12/6/04 12:55 PM (permalink)
      Pate a choux is one of the simplest pastries on the planet.....even I can make it! It has four basic ingredients: water, butter, flour, eggs. This is the basic pastry used in cream puffs, eclairs, Gateau Paris-Brest, profiterolles, etc.

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
        RE: Choux Factory (Manhattan) Mon, 12/6/04 10:44 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by tiki

choux---or rather "choux paste", is the name of the "dough" that is used to make eclairs--cream puffs---baking shells---its very much a part of classic european cooking and for good reason--will probably be around a long time! My Mom used to make--or rather get the paste from her sister the caterer. and make large "Bowls" of it to serve with creamed chicken and peas or stews--or my favorite--pheasant cacciatore!!! its really loose and you can sqeeze it out of a pastry bag to shape what ever you want---choux [aste swans,were real big back then in the late 50's and 60's. My aunt did some amazings things with this stuff!--tell me--what form exactly did they take---my aunt made these little balls--like golf ball size and filled them with all kinds of stuff---raspberry preserve--marscapone cheese fillings--custards--whatever and arrange then so you never knew what filling it was till you bit into it---of course we kids saw my grampa and uncles pop them whole--my cousins and i called them Big Bite---LOVED THEM!! Wondr if that is what you got

Thanks, everyone. The ones I've had were larger than golf balls, and perhaps a little smaller than a Krispy Kreme glazed donut. Oval shaped, I guess. But, yes, I received an infusion of chocolate custard in each bite.

So, choux is the dough. I figured it was the whole thing.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
          RE: Choux Factory (Manhattan) Mon, 12/6/04 11:04 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Spudnut

It specializes in Kona coffee, which I'm told is very good. But, I don't drink coffee, so can't weigh in.

REAL Kona coffee is wonderful--smooth, deep, less bitter than other coffee--and would be fabulous with the sweet pastries. BUT, pure real Kona is very expensive: $30, $40, $50 a pound these days. There's a lot of just plain fake Kona out there, but what you generally encounter are Kona BLENDS. In that case, how good they are would depend on the percentage of Kona, what else is in the blend and whether the blender knew (or cared) what he/she was doing.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Choux Factory (Manhattan) Tue, 12/7/04 3:07 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by BT

quote:
            Originally posted by Spudnut

It specializes in Kona coffee, which I'm told is very good. But, I don't drink coffee, so can't weigh in.

REAL Kona coffee is wonderful--smooth, deep, less bitter than other coffee--and would be fabulous with the sweet pastries. BUT, pure real Kona is very expensive: $30, $40, $50 a pound these days. There's a lot of just plain fake Kona out there, but what you generally encounter are Kona BLENDS. In that case, how good they are would depend on the percentage of Kona, what else is in the blend and whether the blender knew (or cared) what he/she was doing.

I had a buddy of mine bring me about a pound of Kona Beans from Hawaii a few years ago... They must have been the real deal since I havent been able to find a decent bean around here that even comes close to the taste and quality of that pound. (But then I dont look, nor have I've seen coffee at 30+ bucks a pound around here)..

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
              RE: Choux Factory (Manhattan) Tue, 12/7/04 11:33 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by UncleVic

I havent been able to find a decent bean around here that even comes close to the taste and quality of that pound. (But then I dont look, nor have I've seen coffee at 30+ bucks a pound around here)..

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ccn_search/st/Kona%20coffee/sy/productsx/ccsyn/260/prd/16085343/ccsid/290395430-20540/adtg/12040423

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com