Chow Chow/Pickled Cabbage Recipes

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/12/18 02:10:38 (permalink)

Chow Chow/Pickled Cabbage Recipes

My MIL makes some great Chow Chow. For her, it's a tablespoon of a condiment for a plate of ham & white beans and crushed cornbread. To me, this is a fantastic topping of hot dogs. Her's is minimal by recipes that I've found on the net and has no heat. Only thing in hers is shredded cabbage, onions,apples, finely sliced  and chopped green pepper, and sugar that I can tell. I'm sure the spices are done in a sachet of cheescloth as many of her other recipes. I recently bought a bottle of Cracker Barrel's Chow Chow and they  remarkably quite similar. I'm not looking for a recipe of garden veggies, just a minimal sweet pickled cabbage like these recipes. Most recipes on the net are much more complex with many more vegetables with a lot of heat. I'm only interested in re-creating this sweeter pickled cabbage, Anyone have any similar recipes? I've drawn a blank trying to find a clone for cracker barrels.

5 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Chow Chow/Pickled Cabbage Recipes 2010/12/18 02:40:41 (permalink)
    Except for the apples, this sounds a lot like the "health salad," a sort of kosher coleslaw popular in New York kosher delis (it's kosher because no dairy which wouldn't go with, say, a corned beef sandwich).

Here is the version from the 2nd Avenue Deli which happens to be my favorite (they put it on all the tables free):

2nd Avenue Deli's Health Salad (p. 19)
    Recipe Ingredients:
    • 1 small head green cabbage (1 1/2 to 2 lbs.)
    • 2 medium carrots, peeled
    • 1 small green bell pepper
    • 1 large rib celery, cut crosswise into thin slices
    • 3/4 C. distilled white vinegar
    • 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, peanut, corn, or canola oil
    • 1/2 C. sugar
    • 1 T. salt
    • 1/2 t. freshly ground pepper

Makes about 8 cups.
    This salad needs to chill for at least 8 hours before serving to develop the flavors.

To prepare the salad, halve the cabbage, cut into quarters, and remove the core in each section. With a large, sharp knife, shred the cabbage as finely as possible and transfer to a large bowl.

Using the coarsest side of a box grater, shred the carrots into the shredded cabbage. Halve the green pepper and remove the seeds, ribs, and stem. Wash and dry the pepper halves, then cut them into extremely fine strands; add them to the slaw along with the celery.

To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the slaw. Toss well.

Refrigerate the slaw, tightly covered, for at least 8 hours before serving. As the slaw will not wilt much, it should remain crisp and fresh tasting for 2 to 3 weeks.

Source:  http://www.jewishrecipes....deli-health-salad.html

By the way, I vaguely recall having it, or something very like it, in your neck of the woods at a place called Pumpernick's (Miami Beach, I think near Lincoln Road) decades ago (have no idea if the place is still there--I think their main competition, Wolfie's, may still be).
    post edited by BT - 2010/12/18 02:47:47
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3886
    Re:Chow Chow/Pickled Cabbage Recipes 2010/12/18 02:44:11 (permalink)
    Check out Mrs. Renfro's Chow Chow and see if itcomes close to what you're looking for.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Chow Chow/Pickled Cabbage Recipes 2010/12/18 02:52:40 (permalink)
    I thought Chow Chow was a mustardy thing.  Here's a not terribly complicated recipe for that:  http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Recipes/chowchow.htm

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Chow Chow/Pickled Cabbage Recipes 2010/12/18 10:47:53 (permalink)
    Health Salad is something entirely different. One of my kids loves it. Gee, last Pumpernicks around here closed down in the 80's and I'm not sure about the one up in Broward. Wolfie's closed around the millenium and the owners of Rascal house got greedy and figured the property was worth more as condo space b4 the bubble busted somewhere around '05 or '06. All three restaurants were started by Wolfie Cohen. Probably the best of their time down here.

I know squat about southern cooking despite living in TN a few years and married to one. From what I understand, Chow Chow can range from pickled garden vegetables packing a lot of heat to a very sweet relish-like stuff my MIL makes. Some recipes that I've read over on the net, I could have sworn it was a recipe for Korean Kimchi. I have no doubt that some might use dry mustard or mustard seed. I don't know how authentic many of these recipes on the net are, just hoping to find something close to what my MIL makes. I don't want to ask her for the recipe as she cans up batches for gifts.
    I have seen Mrs. Renfro's Salsa's and dips around the chip isle in the Publix markets, but not a Chow Chow down here. Thanks for a link to that recipe BT, it looks like a good starting point.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3886
    Re:Chow Chow/Pickled Cabbage Recipes 2010/12/18 16:42:52 (permalink)
    Here's the link to one of the Renfro's Chow Chows. It even has the ingredient list.

http://www.renfrofoods.co...ild_Chow_Chow-P15.aspx
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1