Chow Mein Sandwiches -- Today's Place

Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18272
2007/02/03 15:15:22 (permalink)

Chow Mein Sandwiches -- Today's Place

There used to be a place in downtown New Haven -- on Church Street -- called Charlie's, but known to all as Nickel Charlies. One of the specialities at this counter-only lunch joint was the chow mein sandwich. It was a bed of crispy noodles topped with chicken chow mein, all on a hamburger bun. It didn't look quite like the one from today's restaurant in that it wasn't as sloppy and you did pick it up to eat. I remember that it cost 20-cents, the same as Charlie's hamburgers and hotdogs.

6 Replies Related Threads

ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Chow Mein Sandwiches -- Today's Place 2007/02/03 23:22:41 (permalink)
    The original Nathan's always had such a chow mein sandwich. So did their Broadway store, now long defunct.

When at the original this summer, I didn't look to see if they were keeping up the tradition. It was an interesting sensation, biting through the textures of soft bun, crispy noodles and gushy chow mein. A nice diversion. Then on to another hot dog, or maybe a frogs leg sandwich with some really outrageous tartar sauce. Yep. Yessir, indeed.
    The Bear
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Chow Mein Sandwiches -- Today's Place 2007/02/04 09:08:58 (permalink)
    There is a place in Salem Ma. not sure of the name of the place, but it's at Salem Willows amusement park, one of Americas oldest.
    This sandwich is their lead item. Chop Sewy sandwich served on a cheap hamburg bun all for a buck and a quarter.
    I also noticed that Evelyns in R.I. was featured as the Rest. of the day on our opening page. Both these spots are seasonal and are closed untill May or June. Why do they post that in Febuary? We can't go there and I'll be damnd if I'll remember them come summer. Chow Jim
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: Chow Mein Sandwiches -- Today's Place 2007/02/04 09:12:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

There is a place in Salem Ma. not sure of the name of the place, but it's at Salem Willows amusement park, one of Americas oldest.
    This sandwich is their lead item. Chop Sewy sandwich served on a cheap hamburg bun all for a buck and a quarter.
    I also noticed that Evelyns in R.I. was featured as the Rest. of the day on our opening page. Both these spots are seasonal and are closed untill May or June. Why do they post that in Febuary? We can't go there and I'll be damnd if I'll remember them come summer. Chow Jim

Jim,

I believe the daily restaurant daily features are random. Thats why it just happenned to pop up in February. I've lived in RI for over 6 years now and haven't been to Evelyn's yet. Something I hope to do this summer.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10085
    RE: Chow Mein Sandwiches -- Today's Place 2007/02/06 14:51:12 (permalink)
    Wanderingjew is correct that they choose the restaurant of the day by random.

I did make it to Evelyn's Drive-in last summer. Unfortunately, I ate at Gray's first and had filled up on ice cream. Still, I enjoyed the fried clams and the chowder. I wish I had tried the chow mein sandwich, but will next time I am there. Other than all the seats by the water were taken and being given a hard time by a few Patriots fans, I enjoyed Evelyn's.
    oldRhody
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Chow Mein Sandwiches -- Today's Place 2007/02/14 15:37:41 (permalink)
    Fall River Chow Mein is the best place for chow mein sandwiches- my father grew up on them and he used to go to the China Star restaurant in Fall River- you can now buy the sauce and mix for it online at "famousfoods.com"

If you want the real taste of RI- get a clam cake and some Del's lemonade on a hot summer day- pure heaven !!
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Chow Mein Sandwiches -- Today's Place 2007/03/03 14:32:04 (permalink)
    ah chow mein, old school chinese before there were regions it was all chow mein and egg foo young and won ton soup with noodles and a fortune cookie in every pot. hard to find chow mein these days but there is a cuban/chinese (sounds unusual but they are fairly common) resturant in my neighborhood that does very tasy old style chinese, chow mein included. by the way cuban chinese isn't like egg foo cubano sandwiches, it's literally half the menu is chinese food and half is cuban.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1