The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chowder in FL in the summer?

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 07/5/08 8:56 AM (permalink)
We live on the east coast of central FL, where virtually every restaurant has some sort of Chowder on their menu year-round. I'm not talking about just the seafood places, who usually 2 or 3 styles on the menu. Bar-pubs & better restaurants also follow this trend. I'm sorry, but when it's 90+ degreess outside, a steaming bowl of chowder just doesn't sound all that appetizing, even if the a/c is cranked to max. I've asked around & the only response is that with all the fishing in the area, it's a tradition.

Right now, a cold bowl of gazpacho or potato-leek (vichyssoie just doesn't sound Roadfood) would be great, but only a few places risk a cold soup on the menu. Anyone else have a similar gripe in their hot weather climate?

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
    RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 07/5/08 9:08 AM (permalink)
    A good bowl of soup is something I enjoy anytime...winter OR summer....I love a good cup of soup as a first course when out....a hotmeal is a hot meal...who cares what the temperature is OUTSIDE! In an area where seafood is abundant, why not take advantage of the bounty and make a great chowder! We have chowder served all year here too at the Jersey shore!!! Just sit back and enjoy!!!!!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
      RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 07/5/08 10:35 AM (permalink)
      Nothing beats a good Hot chowda on a hot humid summer day here in New England, as a first course. Then comes the heaping bowl of steamers.
      Bring it on.
      Chow Jim

hutt

• Total Posts: 103
        RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 07/5/08 10:47 AM (permalink)
        It doesn't matter to me if it's hot outside, chowder sounds good anyway.
        I always get a kick out of it when someone mentions Florida having lots of good seafood. It doesn't.
        You're better off in the north than you are in Florida.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
          RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 07/5/08 11:12 AM (permalink)
          Eliminating hot soup in hot weather doesn't make any more sense than banning french fries in summer and substituting cold potato salad on the menu.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
            RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 07/5/08 11:14 AM (permalink)
            Rose,

I don't want to eliminate it...just add a cold soup for those of us that find it totally unappetizing in the this weather!

hutt

• Total Posts: 103
              RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 07/5/08 11:18 AM (permalink)
              What about the ice cream in winter up north?
              How come they put ice in in a Coke when it's 20 degrees outside?

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 07/5/08 11:42 AM (permalink)
                I enjoy cold soups in the summer but they don't seem to be very popular. It would be interesting to have a Roadfood poll on chilled soups.

mncorn

• Total Posts: 151
                  RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 10/18/08 2:00 AM (permalink)
                  No, eat foods in their season. I look for chowder and chili in the cold months and potato salid in the summer. Venison steak is great year round. Today I skipped the (soup of the day) clam chowder in MN because it was a bright worm day in MN.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
                    RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sat, 10/18/08 7:23 AM (permalink)
                    Good food anytime..if it's available...welcome to the 21st century!!!!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Mon, 01/12/09 4:11 PM (permalink)
                      There is a little place in Mexico Beach, FLA that as an incredible seafood chowder.  It is dense and packed full of shrimp, clam, fish, crab.  It's creamy and buttery.

The place is called "The Fish House".  I get the chowder anytime of year when I am down there.

It has been proven that eating hot things in summer time helps the body to cool down.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                        RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Mon, 01/12/09 4:32 PM (permalink)
                        Sounds yummy, CK.I love soup anytime of the year, and you are right about the study you mentioned...

LuncheoNette

• Total Posts: 17
                          RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Sun, 09/20/09 7:10 PM (permalink)
                          I live in southwest florida and I make soups all the time. It isnt always enjoyable building up heat in the kitchen, but I crank the AC lower and have a counter top fan on me. I love soup anytime. I simply love to cook soups, I always tease I need to open a soup kitchen as it is my favorite thing to cook. We have seafood chowder at least once a month here, creamy tomatoe soup, egg drop and so on. I search out soup recipes to try. I have to admit if I lived up north where I am from I am sure more people would be finding ways to invite themselves to my house knowing the soups I whip up.

MiamiDon

RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Mon, 09/21/09 2:55 PM (permalink)
                            hutt

It doesn't matter to me if it's hot outside, chowder sounds good anyway.
                            I always get a kick out of it when someone mentions Florida having lots of good seafood. It doesn't.
                            You're better off in the north than you are in Florida.

I see that this guy was banned, but I still want to say that he is wrong.  It is about 843 miles from Key West to Pensacola by highway, and there are a gazillion good seafood places along the way.  Maybe he's looking for New England fish and shellfish in the sub-tropics!

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                              RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Fri, 09/25/09 5:23 PM (permalink)
                              Cavendre - I'm guessing our climate isn't much different from yours and I'm in total agreement with you, only here instead of chowder, you see gumbo on every restaurant menu.  I'll get a cup size portion and ask the waiter either to omit the rice out, or give me a small portion on the side, but with our heat, it's too much for summer.  Some restaurants will offer vichyssoise, and I had a nice gazpacho a couple of weeks ago that I thought was so refreshing, I'm making it tomorrow from the Food Network, the Barefoot Contessa's (Ina Garten's recipe) so should be good.

BelleReve

RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Fri, 09/25/09 5:26 PM (permalink)
                                Cavendre - I'm guessing our climate isn't much different from yours and I'm in total agreement with you, only here instead of chowder, you see gumbo on every restaurant menu.  I'll get a cup size portion and ask the waiter either to omit the rice out, or give me a small portion on the side, but with our heat, it's too much for summer.  Some restaurants will offer vichyssoise, and I had a nice gazpacho a couple of weeks ago that I thought was so refreshing, I'm making it tomorrow from the Food Network, the Barefoot Contessa's (Ina Garten's recipe) so should be good.

BelleReve

RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Fri, 09/25/09 5:26 PM (permalink)

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                                    RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Mon, 09/28/09 9:10 AM (permalink)
                                    I agree, Chowder is a cold climate food. Its heavy and IMHO doesn't fit well in a Humid hot climate. When they offer this in a Restaurant just pass it over for a Chilled shrimp or Crab Cocktail......There are many people traveling from far away places coming to Florida for vacation. I figure they would order it and sweat their brains out.....Bill

MiamiDon

RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Mon, 09/28/09 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                      Conch chowder is a local favorite, and is enjoyed year-round.  It was invented in, by, and for tropical people.

The Cubans, from a tropical isle, delight in Caldo Gallego year-round, too.  It is very thick, filling and tastey.

You cold-weather people just have to get over your prejudices.

bartyb

• Total Posts: 13
                                        RE: Chowder in FL in the summer? Tue, 11/3/09 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                        I'm a native Floridian and lemme tell ya, Chowder is a year round fave. Cant say for certain weather the tomato base (minorcan) or the cream base is more popular. I've worked in restaraunts that have served both and, as long as it's a good recipe, both will sell well. There is a local restaraunt in my town that makes a delicious crab chowder. People order it all year long. I see them eating it out on the dock when it's 95 degrees and 90% humidity.....at night.

Put a good chowder on your menue, Something exclusive to your establishment, It WILL sell.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com