LockedChowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion???

Author
GB944
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
2006/04/20 10:07:44 (permalink)

Chowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion???

Is it just me or is the editing and deleting of posts pretty heavy handed over at Chowhound.com?

I have posted constructive answers to queries over there only to see them disappear the next day...

Ah well, the price of free internet!

8 Replies Related Threads

V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Chowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion??? 2006/04/20 10:32:49 (permalink)
    I would have to agree w/ you. Most anal retentive modeerators I've ever run across...maybe the old biddies at backyardchickens were a bit worse...I'm completely banned from their site. I made the mistake of recommending tthe killing of a chicken instead of taking it to the vet. Let's see...$100 vet bill vs. $2 for another chicken???
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Chowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion??? 2006/04/20 18:37:33 (permalink)
    Chowhound blows. They should be so lucky as to have the moderation model Roadfood has. They never will though.

I have a sister in law who would fit in at backyardchickens.com. She's about her two hens like I am about my dog. As I've raised hens for eggs and meat for many years, she's not too fond of my methods for dealing with end of service life fowl. I tell her it's easy, you just never give a name to what you'll eventually eat.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    RE: Chowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion??? 2006/04/20 18:46:03 (permalink)
    Chowhound was acquired by CNET. It will be interesting to see which direction it heads. As a "techie", my guess is they will have to throw out all of their content and start fresh again.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Chowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion??? 2006/04/20 20:18:20 (permalink)
    We don't name our chicken but do name our pigs. This year they are "pork chop" and "bbq".
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Chowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion??? 2006/04/20 20:49:44 (permalink)
    I've never had problems posting, but CH's layout is awful. I was suckered into buying CH's guide to the Bay Area and it was as badly laid out as the site. I hope CNET improves things.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Chowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion??? 2006/04/21 06:51:53 (permalink)
    I have to say that I agree with the comment about the bad layout of Chowhound, and with the comment about the deletions.

Several months ago, someone had posed a question on Chowhound regarding restaurant recommendations for Plainfield, NJ. Assuming the person to be unfamiliar with the area, I pointed out that this community is a crime-ridden one, and that the area adjacent to where the restaurants are located is particularly crime-ridden. (This is a small city that has a murder rate that is all out of proportion to the size of the population. While there also is a beautiful area filled with old mansions, most of the city is blighted.) So, my answer was that the area was best avoided, in favor of more safe locales. My answer was deleted after a few hours. So much for trying to help someone to avoid a dangerous place!
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Chowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion??? 2006/04/21 07:36:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

I have to say that I agree with the comment about the bad layout of Chowhound, and with the comment about the deletions.

Several months ago, someone had posed a question on Chowhound regarding restaurant recommendations for Plainfield, NJ. Assuming the person to be unfamiliar with the area, I pointed out that this community is a crime-ridden one, and that the area adjacent to where the restaurants are located is particularly crime-ridden. (This is a small city that has a murder rate that is all of of proportion to the size of the population. While there is a beautiful area filled with old mansions, most of the city is blighted.) So, my answer was that the area was best avoided, in favor of more safe locales. My answer was deleted after a few hours. So much for trying to help someone to avoid a dangerous place!

When I was going through the CH Bay Area book there was a Mexican place in Oakland that people were raving about. I happened to mention it to a friend who lives near there, and she was horrified because the place was in the middle of one of the worst crack rows in the city and said that she wouldn't go there in broad daylight with ten huge guys surrounding her no matter how good the food supposedly was. I guess with some people it's not true chowhounding unless the possibility of being a victim of a violent crime while going for the foodstuff of your choice exists.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Chowhound.com Heavy Handed Thread Deletion??? 2006/04/21 18:47:09 (permalink)
    OFF TOPIC ALERT! OFF TOPIC ALERT!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1