Christmas 2012

Author
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 522
2013/01/10 13:24:51 (permalink)

Christmas 2012

Happy New Year food fans.

This year's trip south was over New Years and not Christmas but you get the idea. Anyway, as usual, much great food, some at my SIL's, some at various locations. So let's assess the damage we did.

Our first stop was at Bubi's Awesome Eats in Windsor, On. Bubi's was featured on You Gotta Eat Here. Canada's version of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

Bubi's sits in an old house and features burgers and an eclectic mix of other sandwiches, wraps, salads, froyo, Asian, BBQ, well, a little bit of everything I'd say in a Bar and Grill atmosphere

You can build your own burger or select one of the pre ordained ones. We both opted for pre ordained and were satisfied with them. We weren't WOWED but thought they were good. Above is their garlic or Bubi's sause. It stops just short of too garlicky. If such a thing is possible. I loved it.

The next day we met a friend in Cinci and Blue Ash Chili. Just prior to our trip I saw the Chili Philly sandwich featured on Triple D. So I figured I had to have one.

The Philly, what I can gather anyway, under all that chili is decent. The chili is Cinci Chili obviously and together I thought they were great. Nothing mind blowing absolutely worth ordering again.

That night we were able to cross something off my (food) Bucket List.

Prince's, for those who don't know, sell Nashville's regional specialty, Hot Chicken. Make no mistake, it's HOT!!!

I opted for Mild, Medium and Hot (shown) samples. I found the mild a little too mild in that I was there for heat. The hot, way too hot. So the medium was really great. The heat comes from a marinade, dredges, cooking oil and a spice paste painted of afterwards. The fried chicken itself also seems great.
Save room for dessert. The cake lady sells home made cakes that are fantastic. The Mississippi Mud Cake extinguished the fire from the chicken FWIW

While in town we hit a couple of usual places. Once again, back to Dreamland.

I just love their ribs. Not true BBQ in that they're cooked directly over a hickory fire. I posted this video on You Tube.

Casa Blanca is a decent Mexican place that's convenient to the home my FIL is in. I forget the name of this dish but it's basically seafood enchiladas.

We also met a HS friend of Mrs. Sippi's at Bell Buckle Cafe. Their Meatloaf was excellent, Mac n Cheese, good and Fried Corn very good.

Mrs. Sippi was all hoped up for Taco Bell Enchiritos. So we ended up with that for lunch a couple times. They were as you would expect.

We also couldn't resist the "Hot Now" sign.

Blue Plate Cafe is a slick diner doing Meat n 3 type things.

While I like the place and think it's good, it's just not great. Generally speaking I find their mains to be not much better than good.

However the sides they seem to do well. The Meatloaf was kinda bland, a bit of pepper sauce, S&P helped a lot. The Peas were really nice. Pretty plain and let their own flavour shine. Mac&Cheese, really good. Dessert can be selected as a side. The Strawberry Shortcake was very tasty. Great strawberry flavour and not all cloyingly sweet.

Duffy's Deli in Huntsville, is a little gem. The house they reside in is over 100 years old and unfortunately showing it's age. It's in probate court right now and when the building is sold, most likely it will be pulled down. The Ledbetter's have no interest in moving and will just retire.

Their White Chili is what makes them famous and it's incredible. Get it while it lasts. It's on the list of Huntsville's 20 Tastes that I'm eating my way through.

They also do some great sandwiches. Mrs. Sippi's "Baron" was fantastic.

Also on the list is a Gyro from Papa Gyros.

As I pointed out in my other thread, it was flat out terrible.

On the way home we stopped in Nashville for a burger.

Brown's Diner has been open since the 20's. Originally in an old rail car it's expanded. The menu is pretty simple as is the preparation. I have no problems with either.

The Burger is so simple and excels as such. Pretty much just ground chuck, hand formed, s&p and then on to the flat top. Simple and tasty.

Dinner on day 1 of the return trip was our usual Skyline Chili. This time I ordered 4 Coney Dogs w/ everything.

They were, of course, fantastic.

Staying in the Dayton area allowed us to try Mikesell's Potato Chips.
While some people say they're the best potato chip other's, such as myself, think they're really just a potato chip. No big deal.

If Prince's wasn't the highlight of my trip, Schmucker's in Toledo was. Maybe more so in that it was a surprise. I looked on Roadfood for anything in the I75 corridor in northern Ohio. Schmucker's was it.

This place is awesome. An old school diner. The interior is so great. It could be a set for a movie or TV show. None of that matters if the food isn't up to scratch. We both opted for sandwiches which were excellent.

However, well known for their pies, it's dessert where the really excel. The Triple Chocolate Pie was just stupidly good. If you notice some blue streaks in the chocolate mousse it's because they hide M&M's in there. Totally unfair!!

Well that's it. Plenty of great food. Blog reports to follow as they're published.

DT

post edited by Davwud - 2013/01/11 07:41:05

19 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5083
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/10 13:30:22 (permalink)
    Nice variety!  Although after those 4 loaded coney dogs I hope you had a Clorets handy.

Davwud

Bubi's was featured on You Gotta Eat Here. Canada's version of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.
    And who is Canada's version of Guy Fieri?
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/01/10 13:31:31
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/10 13:30:36 (permalink)
    Here is my full review of Bubi's.
    http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...13/01/no-vampires.html

DT
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/10 13:32:59 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Nice variety!  Although after those 4 loaded chili dogs I hope you had a Clorets handy.

Davwud

Bubi's was featured on You Gotta Eat Here. Canada's version of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.
    And who is Canada's version of Guy Fieri?

John Catucci. He's not very well thought of. I find him relatively inoffensive compared to Guy. He's also not nearly as knowledgeable.

DT
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/10 15:54:19 (permalink)
    I liked the real moments of Taco Bell and Krispy Kreme. Sometimes, a craving just needs squelching.

Good job on the report, and ecclectic too, included all your meat groups, including gyro meat, and several different tyeps of cuisines. I like your style!

thanks!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/10 19:18:13 (permalink)
    Yes the Blue Ash Chili - Chili Cheesesteak is a unique experience

How did I miss Brown's Diner all this time. Hmmm gives me a start on my next Nashville trip.
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/11 05:55:34 (permalink)
    CajunKing

Yes the Blue Ash Chili - Chili Cheesesteak is a unique experience

How did I miss Brown's Diner all this time. Hmmm gives me a start on my next Nashville trip.

One word of warning about Browns. They have Frito Chili Pie on the menu but that's not what it is. It' really just nachos. Not too bad either. Just not FCP.

DT
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8365
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/11 07:03:27 (permalink)
    Very nice, Davwud!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/11 07:12:44 (permalink)
    Davwud-
    Very nice report!  I am in total agreement with you about Schmucker's in Toledo.  If you asked me what a Roadfood joint should look like, it may very well be Schmucker's.  Haven't tried the triple chocolate pie yet, but now I know what I am ordering on the next visit. 
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/11 07:18:08 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Davwud-
    Very nice report!  I am in total agreement with you about Schmucker's in Toledo.  If you asked me what a Roadfood joint should look like, it may very well be Schmucker's.  Haven't tried the triple chocolate pie yet, but now I know what I am ordering on the next visit. 

That Triple Chocolate Pie was a "Pie of the Week" so they may not have it. That said, they seem like the kind of people that if you called and told them what day you'd be there, they'd probably make sure there was one for you.

DT
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/11 07:29:56 (permalink)
    I just may do that.  Thanks for the tip!
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/11 07:39:57 (permalink)
    It's called Triple Chocolate Indulgence according to the white board.

Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/11 07:44:39 (permalink)
    Also, here's a good panorama of the interior of Schmucker's.

DT
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/01/16 06:01:32 (permalink)
    Here's my review of Prince's in Nashville.
    http://bit.ly/UPHtBQ

DT
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/02/18 09:46:29 (permalink)
    Here's my review of Schmucker's in Toledo.
    http://bit.ly/YBvtVn

DT
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/04/16 13:56:08 (permalink)
    Hey Gang

I forgot to post this earlier

http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...ville-institution.html

Brown's Diner in Nashville

DT
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1389
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/04/16 18:09:23 (permalink)
    Whoa--looks like a very fun place!!! I'll bookmark it.

Davwud

It's called Triple Chocolate Indulgence according to the white board.

strongy78
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/04/17 23:55:04 (permalink)
    Awesome report!  Hey... didn't Princes just win a James Beard Award?  Some good chicken is always awesome!
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/04/18 13:11:37 (permalink)
    strongy78

Awesome report!  Hey... didn't Princes just win a James Beard Award?  Some good chicken is always awesome!

They sure did.
    http://www.nashvillescene...eive-james-beard-award

Not sure when I'll get my next fix but I'm Jonesing for it.

DT
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Christmas 2012 2013/04/18 13:24:40 (permalink)
    Scorereader

I liked the real moments of Taco Bell and Krispy Kreme. Sometimes, a craving just needs squelching.

Good job on the report, and ecclectic too, included all your meat groups, including gyro meat, and several different tyeps of cuisines. I like your style!

thanks!

Thanks Score

I don't really think I have a style. I just like tasty food. I don't care where it comes from.

DT
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1