Christmas Pudding

Author
Laserwolf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2008/07/13 11:05:02 (permalink)

Christmas Pudding

I was really into making traditional English foods last fall and managed a nice Steak and Kidney Pie, some not so good Yorkshire Puddings, and some excellent Bubble and Squeak(Make it whenever I can now). However, what I really wanted to do was a traditional Christmas Pudding for the holidays. I found a really good recipe(I assume) but I couldn't figure out where to find some of the ingredients I needed. Here is the recipe I found: http://www.greenchronicle.com/christmas_recipes/christmas_pudding.htm

The reason I am posting now is that it says the best Puddings are made well in advance(sometimes up to a year) and left to sit and "gather flavor" until it is time to re-steam it to eat. I would have started even earlier but I completely forgot I had wanted to attempt this until just the other day.

Actually... now that I look at the recipe for the first time since last fall I guess I only need help with the Suet. I believe I found websites where I can buy the dried fruits. The suet is still a problem. Apparently the only suet you can find in this country has bird seed in it. Anyone have any ideas where I might come across some, make some, or even improvise some?

Oh, and any advice for someone who has attemped Christmas Pudding before would be great.

My Steak and Kidney Pie post from last year http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22378

5 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13526
    RE: Christmas Pudding 2008/07/13 11:40:47 (permalink)
    Your thread tweaked my interested and I googled it. It sounds a bit difficult to me and I appreciate your interest.

Sounds to me like an exotic sausage with some types of ruit and alcohol??

I have been to England several times but never experienced this dish. I sure do like their Yorkshire pudding though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_pudding

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Christmas Pudding 2008/07/13 12:02:35 (permalink)
    You can get suet anywhere beef is butchered or you can start now trimming some of the white opaque fat off rib and strip steaks and saving them up in the freezer. Then just grind or chop up your trimmings to use in your recipe.

A note about the mixed peel: The majority of U.S. grocery stores stock candied fruits and peels only during the Christmas season. If you wait until October, it should be easy to find and only a fraction of the price of ordering it online.

Have fun with your Dickensonian Christmas treat.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Christmas Pudding 2008/07/13 12:09:12 (permalink)
    Actually--making your own "peel" isnt that difficult--google it--its there---have a friend who does hers as the fruit come on the market--then she IS in California and can get good-organic fruit easily--but she DOES make it--as well a melon rind--for her fruitcake--which--btw--is AWESOME!
    Laserwolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Christmas Pudding 2008/07/13 13:01:02 (permalink)
    Luckily I found some at NutsOnline http://www.nutsonline.com/driedfruit/glazedfruit/mixed-peel.html

One of my favorite places to buy online besides Amazon.

Their roasted Fava Beans are actually pretty good. At first I thought them to be a bit bland, but they grow on you and are fun to eat.

Thanks for the info on the suet too. I'll go with the home-made stuff if I can't find any pre-made. Also a good excuse for me to buy some more ribs.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    RE: Christmas Pudding 2008/07/13 14:39:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Laserwolf

Luckily I found some at NutsOnline http://www.nutsonline.com/driedfruit/glazedfruit/mixed-peel.html

One of my favorite places to buy online besides Amazon.

Their roasted Fava Beans are actually pretty good. At first I thought them to be a bit bland, but they grow on you and are fun to eat.

Thanks for the info on the suet too. I'll go with the home-made stuff if I can't find any pre-made. Also a good excuse for me to buy some more ribs.

Any good Butcher Shop/Meat Market should be able to give you all the suet you need. The reason they combine it with bird seed is because it's a good binder to hold the seeds. Happy hunting Old Chap! Toodle Loo!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1