Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back

Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
2003/11/05 11:42:11 (permalink)

Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back

For the past few yrs our youngest has been living in NYC---actually in Brooklyn's Williamsburg neighborhood. She has really want us---folks and brother in Calif--to visit at the holidays so she wasnt always the on travling at the holidays---we have also wanted to do Christmas in NY---but---yrs ago while working in the park district in Calif where we lived, i was asked to "do Santa"---its seems i look ALOT like him--i dont need a beard or wig,i wear the glasses and theres no pillow under my suit! and kids start following me around alot in Mid November! Anyway i eneded up with alot of steady clients that included home visits,office parties and my specialty---play groups,child care groups,nusrery schools and a bunch of "good causes". I also made a substanial chunck of change in tips and "donations" I managed to geevery dime of docters visits copaymants back for the last six yrs showing up for his family on Christams Eve!I am GOOD. too!Real good---so i never could get away---but not this year---moved to Oklahoma and have only committed to a few small jobs and some freebies at the local churches etc--so---we are off to NY for the holidays and since we KNOW about airposts at the holidays--we are driving-at a preety good clip to maximize time with family--so--i will looking for luch stops Memphis and Cumberland MD area Dinners in Nashville and Huntington WV, and clean beds and good breakfasts in Lexington and somewhere around Bardlestown to Elizabeth Ky area. Now theres lots of time,but i think i like planning this as much as doing it!Got any suggestions?

14 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7922
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/11/05 13:33:12 (permalink)
    Hi Tiki,

I've been to Memphis and can recommend some really good "Q" If you're looking for a great pulled pork sandwich then go to interstate bbq, don't forget to order the bbq spaghetti as a side. If you'd rather have great ribs then go to the Cozy Corner.

In Bardstown KY, there is a local mom n pop drugstore right in the center of town, don't remember the name of it It had an old fashioned lunch counter with shakes and malts made from with an old fashioned mixer

Finally in Brooklyn DiFara's Pizza should not be missed. They are on Avenue J in Midwood near the Ave J subway stop. Their pizza tastes like heaven. No other way to describe it.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/11/05 14:48:02 (permalink)
    For suggestions for Nashville, check out the thread entitled "Nashville food," currently on page 2 of this forum.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/11/05 14:49:58 (permalink)
    Make that page 3 of this forum.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7922
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/11/05 15:09:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Hi Tiki,
    In Bardstown KY, there is a local mom n pop drugstore right in the center of town, don't remember the name of it It had an old fashioned lunch counter with shakes and malts made from with an old fashioned mixer

Ok, found out the name of the pharmacy it is: Hurst Drug Store Soda Fountain
    102 N. 3rd St., 502-348-9261
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/11/05 16:22:33 (permalink)
    Hello Teki, When you are headed to N.Y. If you are hungry by the time you reach Sallisaw, OK on I-40, turn south 0n state highway 59. Drive 2 to 4 miles south to a BBQ place on your left called "Wild horse mountain BBQ." It dosn't look like much, but the bbq is great. The last time I was there I saw Kevin Samsom (OU basket ball coach). I try to make it there when ever I travel east. Oh yes welcome to Oklahoma.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/11/05 16:51:36 (permalink)
    About a mile east of Cumberland, MD, within spitting distance of I-68 (exit 46), is Uncle Tucker's. Pizza and pub grub (maybe not the greatest but it'll do if you're hungry and in a hurry) washed down with beers brewed on the premises.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/11/05 19:22:53 (permalink)
    tiki, the thread rbpalmer suggested is excellent, primarily because it contains the definitive list of places conpiled by the illustrious pogophiles. This man is THE one to consult for restaurants in that area; he knows the food and the history.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1599

You MUST spend a night in Nashville on your trip. Besides the food, take your family over to the Opryland Hotel at night. Park and go inside. Not only is the outside beautiful with lights, the inside decorations are awesome. Trust me on this.

I was also very intrigued by your "Santa Claus" story. We have a guy here named Carl Anderson who has been Santa for ages; he now has a regular gig in one of the best malls in Dallas. He's started doing a one-man play the last few years where he relates his stories of the children that have sat on his lap. It's more touching than I can even describe; great laughter alternating with genuine tears.

Here's a picture of him with a short interview: http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-11-02/arts_feature.html

Anyway, I'd love to hear you elaborate on your Santa experiences.

And again, please stay a night in Nashville. Hey, a good "first night" stay would also be in Springfield, MO. They do Christmas pretty good there, too.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/12/20 08:13:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

tiki, the thread rbpalmer suggested is excellent, primarily because it contains the definitive list of places conpiled by the illustrious pogophiles. This man is THE one to consult for restaurants in that area; he knows the food and the history.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1599

You MUST spend a night in Nashville on your trip. Besides the food, take your family over to the Opryland Hotel at night. Park and go inside. Not only is the outside beautiful with lights, the inside decorations are awesome. Trust me on this.

I was also very intrigued by your "Santa Claus" story. We have a guy here named Carl Anderson who has been Santa for ages; he now has a regular gig in one of the best malls in Dallas. He's started doing a one-man play the last few years where he relates his stories of the children that have sat on his lap. It's more touching than I can even describe; great laughter alternating with genuine tears.

Here's a picture of him with a short interview: http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-11-02/arts_feature.html

Anyway, I'd love to hear you elaborate on your Santa experiences.

And again, please stay a night in Nashville. Hey, a good "first night" stay would also be in Springfield, MO. They do Christmas pretty good there, too.

Bushie---decided that what with your advice re Nashville,the fact that my Dad says I can easily make it to Brooklyn that next day, and sale of the Loveless and upcoming changes to it---we will be spending the night in Nashville. maybe another on the way back---to many great spots to eat---thanks to Popophiles!!!---cant really tell the cuisine without breakfast,lunch and dinner samplings,after all! I will report back after the trip and i am sorry that i havent had time to tell more about my Santa experiances but i have been frantically trying get my new dome/home sealed up before the weather and the trip. I promise i will send you "some of my clippings".

I can say this much---i have been "Becoming Santa" for about 15 yrs yrs now and everymoent is amazing. My all time favorite job was for a group run by the park district i worked for called "Tiny Tots" there were 3 groups of about 30 kids that i would surprise at their Christmas party,replete with huge bags of goodies.When they look up and see me its amazing! Everyone of those kids is completely,100% POSITIVE that I AM SANTA CLAUS! Their joy is infectious and has help me---you see there was a time there that i was noit really thrilled with the holidays---10 yrs ago my mom died 3 weeks before Christmas---i took it hard . The next year my wifes mom died---3 weeks before Christmas. The next year my best friend of 30 years finally succumbed to MS,at the time he went,we were with him----i had the bottom half of my Santa suit on at the time and twenty mins after he went, i left foir thr that Tiny tots class party.I was miserable,i was not at all jolly, but a soon as i walked into that room with those bags and saw those kids---I was --once again---Santa!The unconditonal love and truyst of those kids was wxactly what i needed> So remember---its not Santa that brings the joy of the season!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/12/20 18:43:00 (permalink)
    tiki, I got a little choked up reading your story. You're right; it's not Santa or the presents he brings. There is NOTHING that matches the joy of a child, though.

I'll gladly wait to hear your tales until you get some time. I'm glad to hear the house is progressing; I've been wondering about it.

And you can't go wrong taking the culinary advice of pogophiles, so go for it!

Have a Merry Christmas, and please, tell us about the trip when you return.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 304
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/12/20 20:44:16 (permalink)

Bushie---decided that what with your advice re Nashville,the fact that my Dad says I can easily make it to Brooklyn that next day

I don't know about that. I have grave misgivings. I have gone through Nashville on I-40 on the way to the City about a dozen times. I think Knoxville to the City is a day's drive. Nashville? If you leave at 6AM, you might make it into Brooklyn by 3AM the next morning. I don't see how it would be before Midnight even if you speed.

Why not take it easier and find some good restaurants? Make Nashville to Brooklyn a two day drive. Memphis to Brooklyn is a good two day drive. You can take it easy if you start in Nashville.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7063
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2003/12/20 21:38:42 (permalink)
    tiki, thanks for sharing that story with us all! Have a safe trip, Santa, and a very Merry Christmas!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2004/01/06 14:23:38 (permalink)
    Its way to cold to work outside on the house today ---bty Bushie--its comeing along great--- all sealed up except for one more window and the doors and will be putting in the loft this week---and it looks REALLYT cool!!---so i thought it would be a good time to report on the Holiday trip and the FOOD that went with it!! we took everyones advice and left the evening before we scheduled to go so we could enjoy the ride and not feel too rushed.

Spent the night in Arkansas and in the am had my first Waffle House breakfast---nice place--great service-seemed like all the employees were actually enjoying be "Waffle House" people! Country Ham and eggs--hashbrowns Scattered ALMOST all the way--left of the chili--for me--Allstar special for Janie--and was pleased to see a REAL glass for the OJ-not a thimble. My aversion for chains has kept me away from them in the past but with so many of you liking it i gave it a shot.--Like it so much we stopped in one in Fort Smith on the way home!

Made it to Nashville that afternoon and took the opportunity to eat at the Loveless and am very glad i did!!!! Great food---great folks---great ambiance---we are hoping the the new owners will keep things that way as we want to "do Nashville" in the summer and thought that the Motel would be the perfect spot to stay!! and imagine the breakfast would be fabulous! LOVED the CHICKEN!!!!and the Hashbrown cassarole--which is now in MY cookbook!

Nothing to interesting for a while after that-except for a lunch stop in Grantsville Md at a place called the Penn Alps Rest. and crafts---good lunches and a great little village of gift shops and next to a gorgous stone bridge that was built is 1816 and is now closed off to traffic except foot/walking---was told they closed it because it was still sound and they wanted to KEEP it that way! Hellova mason!!---(im kind of a stone freek---love masonry)

stay tuned for a further report---im going to eat lunch
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2004/01/06 15:27:43 (permalink)
    OK--im back--for the surpise find of the trip----decided to stop in Pa fo the night rather then drive into Brooklyn at night without knowing where we going, and got a room and ate a lousy dinner, got up early and headed out to find a meal NOT cooked at the same place we had dinner---and found a sheer delight!!! Haags Hotel and resteraunt---and bar too!Terrific place and a killer Pa Dutch family style breakfast-----Bacon,Ham,Sausage--local--Eggs,panckes,toast,stewed apricots,Tapica Pudding,Freash chunky style applesauce,Sugar cookies.Butter,Cottage cgeese,apple butter,ShooFly Pie,juice,coffee tea and milk---with creamed chipped beef and scrapple on request!!!! all for the outragous price of----$7.25!!!! If only we had driven the 14 mile ore last night we could have stayed at the Hotel and Had the dinner-----Chicken,Ham,Beef,&Sausage---with Gravy,Potato Filling,Sweet Potatoes,Green Beans,Pot Pie,Dried corn,Pickled beets,Pepper cabbage,pickles,Apple sauce,Tapica,Stewed apricots,cookies,pies---shoofly,cherry and apple tarts Cheese,bread and butter Milk tea and coffee!AYCE--all 4 meats--$14---3 for 13.50 --2 for 13.000 and 1 for 12.50.---and the place was wonderfull---lots of beautiful woodwork a great bar,rooms upstairs with NO PHONES or TV!!!! We we so mad we missed it we decided to stop there on the way home-----btw---get there early the kitchen close at 7:30!!! It in Shartlesville Pa 45 east of Harrisburg at exit 38 of I-78. On the return trip we stopped for the night wamr cozy rooms with brass beds and quilts and a great bucnh of locals that stop in for a nightcap and arrive early to eat breakfast at the bar. I LOVED it!!!

Next stop---Brooklyn---where my daughter immediatly sent me to a local pizza place---Metropoltan Pizza----where they DONT look at you funny when you ASK for anchovies!! and i stuffed myself!!!! It was good to eat REAL pizza---and i was right---ALL the pizza in NY is GOOD!!!!!!

Went out to dinner that night at a new Thai place called "Sea" ---wonderfull my daughter and her roommate,me and jane all had different items and they were all great----look for it on "Sex and the City"---my daughter has a friend on the crew and they filmed in there 4 weeks ago. great ambiance--and reasonable---80 bucks for the for of us including drinks and really good service.

Spent Christmas eve partying in a club my daughter works in---went to see her band too---Keep an out for ---"Jen Urban"---she is about to become the next superstar---and of cousre im not predjudice--she really is great!!

Did Christmas am at her house and breakfast with some friends and then drove up to Mass to my dads where the feasting really commenced.----will fill in that part in a bit---got some chores to do. Back later.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Christmas roadtrip;Okla.to Brooklyn and back 2004/01/06 17:26:46 (permalink)
    Hey tiki, thanks for the report! Really glad it was a good trip! Looking forward to the rest.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1