Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ.

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2008/04/13 21:23:59 (permalink)

Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ.

In Emmitsburg, MD, a few miles south of the PA border on Rt 15. About a mile north of Mount St Mary's.

Chubby's... what a great dive. I didn't get a picture of the outside, because I would have been shooting directly into the sun. But man, it's a real BBQ joint, without question. I'd alerted the Dr that we were coming, and he was there waiting for us! We had some nice chit chat, and he sat with us and we talked food, and road food, and BBQ, and life. laststand, he mentioned you by name, and favorably. Tom is a genuinely nice guy. I don't know why he was so different on line, but in person there is not a hint of forced camaraderie; it is real. I would have him as a friend and neighbor in a heartbeat.

I'm going to apologize for the pictures in advance. I still haven't got that food macro working yet. And the girls get embarassed when I take pictures of dinner, so I can't take one, look, check, take another, etc. "C'mon, Dad! I want to eat!"

He recommended a couple sides, the potatoes & sausage, and the collard greens; both were truly out of this world.

Here is the 3-way combo: pulled pork, baby backs, and brisket. At the top right of the plate are the potatoes; the collards are in the small bowl. The pulled pork is really, really tender, and it's only lightly pulled. You can pull it more yourself, or eat it in chunks. The brisket is super lean and also tender, and very smoky. The baby backs are done to where they tug back just a little bit; you know you're eating meat, not jello.

I'll say up front that I'm a sauce guy. Chubby's serves several sauces, all in squeezetops so you can modulate anything from a drip to a slather. I dripped some Carolina vinegar sauce on the brisket, but I preferred the "private reserve" and the "classic".

Here are the collard greens. Notice that there are potato chunks, meat, and other ingredients. The greens are downright tangy and delicious! I could have eaten a big bowl of greens as the meal! The potatoes are also excellent, and craveworthy.

The girls had a two-way of chicken and pulled pork, with mashed and corn bread:

and a half-chicken with sides of mashed and slaw:

I didn't get a chance to nibble at anyone else's plates. I was seriously concerned with what was in front of me. But the half chickens alone were huge.

We ordered desserts, but to go, and we didn't get to them until an hour later. I had coconut cream pie. It was SERIOUSLY sweet. If you're diabetic, order this while you are still under the influence of the pill or the shot, because your sugar will take a huge spike. I think this was sweeter than sugar itself. It was good, too. Not thin or runny with high meringue, but substantial, like moist cheesecake, and with a thick whipped cream topping.

Here is a word of advice. Bring a cooler, or make your visit part of a day trip so you can take home leftovers... otherwise, order small and plan on returning. Each one of our meals would have fed all three of us. It is a sin to throw out good barbeque.

Highly recommended. From the parking lot through the meal and back out the front door, Chubby's is worthy.

19 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/14 06:41:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report, Mosca. I'm going to be heading out that way next month and that would be a perfect stopping place on my way home.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/14 07:21:06 (permalink)
    I've said it many times here on the forum....Chubby's is top notch Q!!!!!

I'm a huge fan of the Dr's pulled pork, it's my favorite thing on his menu. I love the fact that it isn't pulled to death!! The greens are always outstanding....and I've never been to Chubby's (and I've been there allot) that I haven't ordered them. I've even started putting potatos in my greens when I make a mess at home!!

I also like the homemade potato chips that come with the sandwiches....Chubby's is a dive and that just the way I like it...
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/14 07:22:01 (permalink)
    Looks fantastic. And I didn't know you could get collard greens in restaurants up north! I love to have that recipe.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/14 08:56:53 (permalink)
    Nice report Mosca! I have been curious about this place ever since reading about it here on Roadfood. And the fact that it is in the new Roadfood book has ramped up my desire to pay a visit. I'm hoping to get there in the next month, since it is only 3 1/2 hours from my house. Those collard greens look wonderful!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/14 09:58:11 (permalink)
    It's not hard to find, either; but forewarned, if you are using a Garmin GPS, the device places Chubby's about 2 miles farther south on 15 than it actually is. It had us exiting at the Our Lady Of Lourdes Grotto. Chubby's is 2 miles further north at 16430 Old Frederick Rd. Enter the address rather than trust their pre-programmed location.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/14 10:10:29 (permalink)
    Mosca-
    Thanks for the warning. I have heard the BBQ at Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto isn't as good!
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/14 10:13:40 (permalink)
    Chubby's looks like a plate full of happiness!
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/14 11:35:30 (permalink)
    I posted on Chubby's last July, when he was, apparently, somewhat persona non grata (link below). I loved it back then and still love it. Glad to see it is getting updated posts. Excellent bbq, and as previously posted, close to great fireworks just up Rt 15 in Pa (unless you live in Pa)

Kevin

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19898

chubbysbbq.com/
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/14 16:37:02 (permalink)
    Oh Yum!.. that looks GOOD!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/16 09:33:00 (permalink)
    I may and I do meen may be going thru that area next week. I might visit an antique dealer in the York area on the way to D.C.
    If so it looks like a spot worthy of stopping at.
    I'll just be carefull not to let he who should not be named here where I heard of his "Pit". Chow Jim
    euclid
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/16 15:11:08 (permalink)
    rebeltruce. I too make collards. Smoked ham hock in chicken broth 1.5 hours. Then add onion, spices and yellow pepper. Bring to boil and add greens. Simmer until ready. Usually 5 hours. When would you add potatos so they aren"t mush? And, what type of potato? Thanks, Euclid
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/17 07:05:05 (permalink)
    euclid,

The first time I'd ever had potatoes in greens was at Chubby's.....I initially had mixed feelings about adding them. So I did the natural thing and that was to return to Chubby's and try them again!!!!....LOL!

I was able to figured out that Chubby's had to use either white boiling potatoes or red skinned potatoes, something waxy rather then starchy will work fine.

I cook my greens for a bit less time then you do yours.

I make a ham hock stock, which includes 4 hocks covered by about 2-3 inches of water, a good pinch of red pepper flakes, a few black pepper corns, a couple onions quartered, and a couple crushed garlic cloves. I simmer that for 2-3 hours. Then strain the whole mess, reserving the hocks.

Then I pull the meat off the hocks (snacking along the way) put the strained stock and the meat from the hocks back into the pot and add my cleaned greens. Simmer them for an hour, add a couple diced peeled potatoes (check out the Chubby's greens in the picture) I try to dice them approx the same size. Then cook the whole mess for another hour, sometimes I add a good 1/4 cup of cider vinegar when I add the potatoes.

I serve them up with hot sauce and cider vinegar......

euclid
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/17 15:15:38 (permalink)
    Thanks rebeltruce. I'll give it a shot. Never heard of straining but I'll try that as well.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/22 07:02:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by euclid

Thanks rebeltruce. I'll give it a shot. Never heard of straining but I'll try that as well.

You really don't have to strain...I just don't like biting into a peppercorn or having red pepper flakes in the greens.

Plus my original recipe came to me via an old girlfriend, that's the way her momma and grandma did it, so that's the way I do it!!...

Thanks Daphne (if you're out there)...I'm still makin' those greens! Sorry to go of on a tangent, Chubby's makes some good Q!...LOL!
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/22 20:41:26 (permalink)
    Now, do the owners of the Chubby's in Emmitsburg also own the Chubby's in Westminster/Finksburg?
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/23 07:44:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr
    Now, do the owners of the Chubby's in Emmitsburg also own the Chubby's in Westminster/Finksburg?
    Where is Chubby's in Westminster/Finksburg? If you mean the place right by Smoker's BBQ on 140 near 91, that is Stubby's.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/23 20:33:04 (permalink)
    Yes, you're right. I'm thinking about Stubby's
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/23 23:37:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca
    In Emmitsburg, MD... Chubby's... He recommended... the collard greens... Here are the collard greens. Notice that there are potato chunks, meat, and other ingredients. The greens are downright tangy and delicious! I could have eaten a big bowl of greens as the meal!

Mosca,
    Until you qualified your post, I thought those white chunks in the turnip greens were turnips! -- That's a not uncommon way of serving them down here.
    That spread really looks tasty. Thanks for letting us know.
    Collard By Greens With Envy, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5493
    RE: Chubby's; truly top notch BBQ. 2008/04/25 01:36:02 (permalink)
    Sorry Mosca, I screwed this 1 up. Please see the e-mail I sent you a couple minutes ago.

MikeS.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1