Chuck Eye Steak

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2008/03/01 11:31:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Is that bacon I see with the steak?

Yes. I throw a couple of pieces of thick sliced bacon on the grill with steaks to enhance flare ups. If I'm luck I can get it off before being totally charred.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15226
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2008/03/01 17:17:54 (permalink)
Delmonico is the term that today's real Ribeye used to be called. Sadly the term has been downgraded to cover Chuck, which it never did before. My biggest gripe with the definitions or labels for steaks comes from calling a "bone-in Rib Steak" A bone-in Ribeye. Or any rib steak that has the cap attached, a ribeye. To be a real Ribeye, it should be the "Eye" only of the rib cut. No Bone, No fatty (although flavorfull) cap for the outer rim.. Just the center-core. The Delmonico Steak was just that. It sounded fancy and exspensive, and it usually was.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2008/03/02 08:00:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Delmonico is the term that today's real Ribeye used to be called. Sadly the term has been downgraded to cover Chuck, which it never did before. My biggest gripe with the definitions or labels for steaks comes from calling a "bone-in Rib Steak" A bone-in Ribeye. Or any rib steak that has the cap attached, a ribeye. To be a real Ribeye, it should be the "Eye" only of the rib cut. No Bone, No fatty (although flavorfull) cap for the outer rim.. Just the center-core. The Delmonico Steak was just that. It sounded fancy and exspensive, and it usually was.

Hooray! At last someone else agrees with me that a boneless Rib Steak is not a ribeye steak. I've been grumbling about this for years, and folks say, "See, it says here right on the package - Ribeye". I think it's a lost cause, though.
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2008/03/03 16:36:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mbrookes

I love chuck eye steaks. We call them Delmonicos.
Sear quickly to desired doneness in a hot black iron skillet. Remove steaks, turn off heat. Stir in a large pat of butter, a can of drained button mushrooms, and a splash of red wine. Super!

mbrookes,

I'm not sure if your usage of the term 'Delmonico' is regional or not, the three cuts that I know of that bear that moniker are a boneless rib-eye, a boneless top sirloin, or a bone-in top loin. There is considerable controversy over the term Delmonico, and what cut was actually served at Delmonico's in New York, but none of them I find is from anywhere near the chuck.

By the bye, your preparation method sounds great.

john
abachler
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2008/03/10 21:21:45 (permalink)
I love these. I also originally confused them for chuck steaks, which I think taste too much like balogna for me, but the chuck eye is pure beef and kosher (if thats important to you). When i read that someone seared it on high heat I nearly gagged with tears, these are best cooked on low heat ~225 for 10-15 minutes. I like mine rare, they keep the flavor and juiciness but it tenders them up even more. They are also very good with a rub made with curry powder, garlic, and salt. I eat one for lunch every day.
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 285
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2008/03/11 07:05:10 (permalink)
I'm not nearly gonna "gag with tears" over the way you cook your chuck eye steaks, but I disagree with the way you cook them on low heat. I go with the hottest temperature possible and get a beauty of a steak, blackened outside and red inside. So tender, too! Glad you're enjoying them anyway!
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2008/03/11 07:37:45 (permalink)
Tried a pack of these beauties this past Sunday, I recognized the name 'chuck eye steaks' from seeing them at my local Giant.

Reminded me of steaks a Pharmicist I used to work with told me about 25 years ago he called them 'mock tender' steaks and they were labeled as such in the Pa. market I shopped at. I haven't been able to find them labeled that way since moving to Virginia 20 years ago. He told me at the time, "keep the name of the steaks to yourself, not many people know about them, and I don't want the price to go up"....LOL!

Well these 'chuck eye steaks' are the 'mock tender' steaks from my past. I've always hesitated trying them cuz anything labeled 'chuck' to me has always meant pot roast, and have always been reserved for a nice Sunday dinner.

Well these are my new favorite steaks!! I cooked them up in the same manner my old friend taught me all those years ago, super hot cast iron with no oil in the pan at all. Two minutes a side, a 5-10 minute rest and they were the perfect rare that I love. It was kind of like finding an old friend.....thanks once again to my fellow Roadfooders.
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2008/03/12 00:02:45 (permalink)
Mock tenders are great steaks! The unfortunate thing is that, with the decline of real butchers in America, there are fewer and fewer professionals to ask about these things.

Grocery stores and big retailers are selling convenient (and high-profit) cuts that benefit the business more than they benefit us. If you can still find a real butcher, spend the buck or two more to get local, fresh-cut meat that fits the preparation method you are going for. Or, ask them what interesting cuts they have and how to cook them. And remember, sometimes the cheapest cuts are the most flavorful--they just have to be cooked long enough.

jf
Buckshot
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2008/03/19 18:52:00 (permalink)
I was introduced to chuck eye steak in the early '80s in Dayton, TN. and have been enjoying them since then. They are my steak of choice with ribeye being second.

Buckshot
FigureThingsOut.com
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Chuck Eye Steak 2011/12/15 20:42:28 (permalink)
The chuck eye is a great steak. You can call it the poor mans ribeye because it comes from the chuck which is closest to the rib. I wrote an article about it on my site figurethingsout.com. you can just search for chuck eye and you will find it. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1