Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/07/08 12:09:17 (permalink)
Some of you mentioned the biscuits at these chicken joints. It's been years since I had one, because every place I've tried, the biscuits reek of fake butter, like the kind they use in microwave popcorn. Sometimes the stench of this overwhelms what should be the aromatic smell of chicken frying. That's one reason I generally avoid fast-food fried chicken.
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/07/08 15:35:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew
I'll take a mom n pop joint any day

Well, sure, we all love to be elitists on this point, but Green Chile is in Albuquerque, and I can tell you from personal experience: ain't no mom n pop fried chicken joints in Albuquerque!

Green Chile: actually, Golden Pride is pretty unspectacular, and I wouldn't waste my money. Although they are owned by the same people who own my beloved Frontier, the menu is totally different and not nearly as good.

Someone once parroted to me the urban legend about how Church's only builds its restaurants in "black neighborhoods" for various nefarious reasons. I calmly pointed out that there are about a dozen Church's Fried Chicken in Albuquerque, a city that HAS no "black neighborhoods," one of the town's few drawbacks.
BBQjoe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/10/27 13:40:35 (permalink)
You can get those Holly Farms Taters at a convenience store in N Wilkesboro on the way to Boone. It is a Texaco on Hwy 421 at the entrance to Walmart. Taste very much like the original.
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/10/27 14:39:12 (permalink)

When I do fast food chicked, which isn't often, I prefer Popeye's. There actually are a few in New England. I've never liked KFC chicken, but when I was a kid living in Florida, that chain also served fried shrimp which were pretty good. Locally we have 2 interesting chicken places, neither of which is a chain. In Bellingham, MA. there is Ma Glockner's, which serves 'berched' chicken, cooked on wood somehow, which is very tasty and not at all greasy. Also, in Cumberland, R.I. there is a 2 store chicken place called Power Chicken which uses a variety of Central/South American spices for a very interesting taste, similar to chicken I've had in Peru; their potato wedges are similarly flavored and very good.
db
okc_rn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/10/27 21:01:15 (permalink)
As for Church's chicken, I have to agree it is very good as fast food chicken goes. Their customer service leaves a LOT to be desired.

We visited the far North Oklahoma city recently. Got to the door at 8:45 (sign said the lobby was open until 9:00) The door was locked. Went to the drive thru which was suppose to be open until 10:00. Remember, it is not even 9 pm yet. Made an order and the guy says, "We only have 7 pieces of chicken left." I asked if it was their policy to serve every item on their menu while they were open and the guy says they are cleaning up and not going to cook any more chicken.

We left. The next day I called their main office and left my name and number with the understanding that we had a really BAD visit to one of their restaurants. They never even bothered to return the call.

Thats OK, becasue we have never bothered to return to the restaurant. I guess it's more important to get the crew out 2 hours early than to make customers happy.

Wesley Horton
Edmond, OK
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/10/27 21:42:52 (permalink)
I liked the grilled chicken from El Pollo Loco in SoCal. The problem with it was often...and I do mean the majority of the time, the chicken was not cooked thru on the grill. At their Victorville Stand I would ask for WELL-DONE bird and USUALLY get it at least safely cooked. But way to many times it was pink and watery near the leg-joints and breastbone.
Their Black Beans, and Rice were pretty good too.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/10/29 03:22:17 (permalink)
The number one choice for me is Frenchy's Creole Fried Chicken which was once a local chain but now just has one location - ran into financial difficulty at the same time Popeye's hit town. It's much better than Popeye's. There are several clones around town such as Little Frenchie's, Frenchey's, etc., which are okay but not as good as the original.

After that I'll take Popeye's or the new Central American chain Pollo Campero. Their chicken is very tasty tho the pieces are kind of small and it's pricy; the Campero beans side is good and spicy (usually). They're only in LA, Houston, DC and NYC so far I think.

KFC, Church's, Chik-fil-a just don't do it for me.

festivalfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/10/31 20:22:51 (permalink)
I like Popeyes,but grew up on Chicken Galore in Woodbridge NJ,awesome chicken,a crisp brown coating,like no other chicken place,except for maybe Chicken Delight which was one of the original fast food franchises back in the fiftys I think,which Chicken Galore was a franchisee of,but split off and went on their own,but with the same look and taste,great ribs and jumdo fried shrimp,the only thing lacking was the fries,they were always limp and mushy by the time you got it delivered,and yes they deliver,which I am surprised that KFC never delivered,when we ad our chicken and rib place in NJ,80% of our business was delivery
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/10/31 20:31:33 (permalink)

I remember the jingle...Something about
"...What's Good Tonight???
Why it's Chicken Delight!!"

Hey KFC used to deliver here in Indiana and Louisville area of KY. Some of the new Combo Places (KFC & Pizza Hut) do delivery now.
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/10/31 22:37:24 (permalink)
I think it was "Don't cook tonight call Chicken Delight!",I am drooling just thinking about their chicken,great stuff.I never ate KFC,until I was a teenager driving around with friends going to fast food places,but up until then if it was chicken and ribs it was Chicken Galore or Chicken Delight.By the way I was very disapointed the first time I ate KFC,about 23 years ago,it was not very good,and they had small breasts at the time,they got a little better,but can't hold a candle to Popeyes or Chicken Galore(Chicken Delight).The standard in the industry is a 2 1/2 pound chicken,when we owned a chicken and Rib place we went to a 3 pound bird and it makes a huge difference in the size of the pieces especially the breast and thighs.It was funny the thighs were always the least favorite part and at the end of the night we always ended up with alot of thighs left over,but our bulldog bubba didn't mind he loved those thigh's,even to this day(we sold the chicken and rib place 5 years ago)we bake thighs in the oven and pull off the meat and mix it with his dog food,or he won't eat it LOL! He's worth it though.
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/12/15 16:02:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by okc_rn

As for Church's chicken, I have to agree it is very good as fast food chicken goes. Their customer service leaves a LOT to be desired.

We visited the far North Oklahoma city recently. Got to the door at 8:45 (sign said the lobby was open until 9:00) The door was locked. Went to the drive thru which was suppose to be open until 10:00. Remember, it is not even 9 pm yet. Made an order and the guy says, "We only have 7 pieces of chicken left." I asked if it was their policy to serve every item on their menu while they were open and the guy says they are cleaning up and not going to cook any more chicken.

We left. The next day I called their main office and left my name and number with the understanding that we had a really BAD visit to one of their restaurants. They never even bothered to return the call.

Thats OK, becasue we have never bothered to return to the restaurant. I guess it's more important to get the crew out 2 hours early than to make customers happy.

Wesley Horton
Edmond, OK

Sounds like a bad experience. Still, I wouldn't blame the employees. Maybe it's one of those outfits that makes them punch the clock exactly at 9 but stay around until 10 or 11 cleaning up. I hear that's the case at Wal-Mart, and now it's become a big workers' rights controversy. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a company like the one that owns Church's (and doesn't return complaint calls from customers) might operate the same way. So who could blame the workers for trying to get out quickly?
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/12/15 16:20:17 (permalink)
I have a Churches near me ( I believe Churches and Popeyes are owned by the same person) but usually I drive a little more to Bubba's or Brother's in Dallas.

Bubbas has great mashed potatoes and their foil wrapped butter pats are the Plugra brand!

Brothers serves their's with white bread and a pepper. Drive thru only but you don't want to be there anyway after dark." />
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/12/15 17:01:14 (permalink)
There is a Churches just a block away from my office. How it managed to get there in this "historically correct" area is a mystery to me. Perhaps it was before the Houston Heights Association became so powerful.

I succumb to the Chicken call about once a year when my mind decides that it NEEDS greasy, crunchy chicken, processed mashed potatoes and gravy and jalapenos. I love the whole pickled jalapenos they serve to squeeze over the chicken. I enjoy it immensely, then spend the rest of the afternoon saying I will never do it again!
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin 2004/12/16 10:38:29 (permalink)
I do remember getting those in Wilkesboro once. I think that if it isn't snowing, I might ride up that way Saturday. It's only about an hour from here
quote:
Originally posted by BBQjoe

You can get those Holly Farms Taters at a convenience store in N Wilkesboro on the way to Boone. It is a Texaco on Hwy 421 at the entrance to Walmart. Taste very much like the original.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1