Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44
Green_Chile

• Total Posts: 115
Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 1:33 AM (permalink)
MMM so tasty, just had some for dinner as it's the leg and thigh for 99cents special night, along with some homemade baked mac&cheese and stewed spinach. They have great gravy for the mashed taters but had to skip it for budget reasons. Their "Spicey Sprinkle" packets are key to the enjoyment factor...along with a few jalepeno's. The one I frequent is only a 5 min drive from my house so it's convenient as well...my sister actually worked at that same location in college. That whole Red Barn thread had me all worked up for some right greasy chicken so I couldn't resist. Summed up it's a great alternative to the other fast fried chicken places here in the SW...at least till I figure out how to fry some decent here at home. I wanna try the Golden Pride fried chicken that's just up the street though it's not feasible on my budget currently. It's a local chain affiliated with the "Famous" cough "Infamous" Frontier restaurant here in Albuquerque. They do however sell nice inexpensive carne adovada burrito's there at the Golden Pride. Ok I think this ramble is through for the time being...feel free to ramble in response;)

Fried Chicken Rocks!

BigGlenn

RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 3:25 AM (permalink)
    I Still Love Churches, but all the Chicken Joints prices
    are starting to get out of the reasonable price range for what ya get.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
      RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 5:05 AM (permalink)
      We just got a Church's here last year.. I can't stand KFC for fried chicken so this place is a revelation (still not as good as my long lost Grandy's however)..but Church's biscuits and corn fritters are out of this world~

Alexander

• Total Posts: 164
        RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 8:00 AM (permalink)
        The one time I went to Church's, the chicken was sitting under a heat lamp in a pool of grease. I haven't been back.

Ralph Isbill

• Total Posts: 185
          RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 8:34 AM (permalink)
          We have takeout at Churche's Chicken sometimes 3 to 4 times a month. we have never found the chicken to be greasy. Don't care for the paste they call "mashed potatoes" Cole slaw is good

angelfood

• Total Posts: 204
            RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 9:43 AM (permalink)
            I usually have Church's the infrequent times I visit my old stomping grounds in the Upstate. I also liked Holly Farms (?), Honey Dipped and now am able to enjoy Maryland Fried down where I am now. I like the occasional KFC, we have two here, each owned independently, and the best one (i.e., cleanest and most on-their-toes) is a ways away. They also stopped using the box and the styrofoam for individual meals and started using a plastic thing that the lid pops off of when you try to handle it. Totally impractical and almost messed up my car. Enough of my rambling. NEXT!!

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
              RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 11:24 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by angelfood

I also liked Holly Farms (?), Honey Dipped and now am able to enjoy Maryland Fried down where I am now. NEXT!!

I, too, liked the Holly Farms products (but then I grew up in Wilkes County, NC where Holly Farms was located), and their "Holly Taters" were outstanding (better than the very good potato wedges that KFC started serving after HF quit). I think all of their retail outlets went away when Tyson bought them.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 11:36 AM (permalink)
                Church's!!! Yuck!!

Ralph Isbill

RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 11:50 AM (permalink)
                  To each his own

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
                    RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 1:47 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Church's!!! Yuck!!

It beats KFC as far as we are concerned.... but it still isn't Popeye's. Now if we could just get Popeye's to move back to the area things would be ok.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 1:55 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by DLnWPBrown

quote:

Church's!!! Yuck!!

It beats KFC as far as we are concerned.... but it still isn't Popeye's. Now if we could just get Popeye's to move back to the area things would be ok.

I'll take a mom n pop joint any day

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                        RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 2:24 PM (permalink)
                        I never have liked Church's chicken - too salty for my taste.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17827
                          RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 2:28 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

quote:

Church's!!! Yuck!!

We have Popeye's here, but I've never had their chicken. All I've ever eaten there is a shrimp poorboy and red beans and rice.

Ralph Isbill

RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 2:46 PM (permalink)
                            Popeye's is not bad either. Our closest mom and pop's started shutting down on week-ends. If we want chicken on weekends it's Churches, Popeye's, or KFC. I'll take Churches thank you.
                            My rateing
                            # 1--Churches
                            # 2--Popeyes
                            #345---KFC

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                              RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 4:22 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

I'll take a mom n pop joint any day

Me too...........after all, that is what Roadfood is really all about!

wtgriffin

• Total Posts: 19
                                RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Wed, 03/17/04 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                My favorite carry-out fried chicken in the world can be found at a local place in Memphis, Tenn., called Jack Pirtle's. It sustained me during my college days.

Back then a two-piece white snack, with fries, two homemade biscuits and gravy cost about $2. That was only about 20 years ago.

I think they are still found there.

And one other thing ... Has anybody ever noticed how much better Popeyes Chicken is in the New Orleans area than anyplace else. I think they cook it with an extra spicy zing in the Crescent City.

angelfood

RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Thu, 03/18/04 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                  We have a few Mom-n-Pop's here that serve great fried chicken. The best by far, though, is L.T.'s on Lady's Island. Magnificent!!! It comes with a few sides that are all homemade, including the mashed potatoes. He makes the BEST mashed potatoes. Soul/Country cooking at it's finest. I would've eaten there yesterday if I hadn't been craving Sgt. White's cornbread and sweet tea.

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
                                    RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Tue, 03/23/04 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                    Mom & Pop operations, I just found me a dream spot. Dallas Chicken & Biscuits. It is the old time way, seasoned and fried in a deep fat fryer.... fried the old way yet tastes like KFC original wishes it tasted like. It has a flavor that makes you think of it while being sooooo much better. They are located on hwy. 55 when you are going into downtown Apex, NC from US.1

DB

Biscuit

• Total Posts: 73
                                      RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Tue, 03/23/04 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                      The best fried chicken I've found in Denver (a town not known for its fried chicken) is at, oddly enough, my local Safeway supermarket deli.
                                      Tender and moist with an excellent crust. It could, however, use a little more spice.
                                      They had a sale over the weekend- 8 pieces for four bucks. It was very good chicken. Not cast iron skillet caliber, but a great deal for the money.
                                      It's the fourth time I've had their chicken, and it's alway been good.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                                        RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Thu, 04/8/04 1:10 PM (permalink)
                                        Does anyone know where you can get potato wedges that taste like the Holly Taters. KFC's wedges doesn't even compare
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:

I also liked Holly Farms (?), Honey Dipped and now am able to enjoy Maryland Fried down where I am now. NEXT!!

I, too, liked the Holly Farms products (but then I grew up in Wilkes County, NC where Holly Farms was located), and their "Holly Taters" were outstanding (better than the very good potato wedges that KFC started serving after HF quit). I think all of their retail outlets went away when Tyson bought them.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                          RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Thu, 04/8/04 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                          Used to be (maybe still is) a chain called "New Orleans FC" in Tennessee. I thought it was very good until I discovered Popeye's. Haven't had Church's, as the only one I've seen is in a service station and the help didn't: too busy having a conversation! KFC is okay most of the time.

Popeye's is very good here, though I thought their shrimp sub was awful: no shrimp flavor at all. And they have the absolute best store-bought biscuits I've eaten.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                            • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                            RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Thu, 04/8/04 4:39 PM (permalink)
                                            Hey Biscuit,

I feel the same way about King Sooper's chicken. And you're sure right about finding fried chicken in the Denver area. Have you tried White Fence Farms? I've heard they're good but never been there. Far as I know, you've got to travel up to Berthoud to the Wayside Inn for good fried chicken.

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
                                              RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Thu, 04/8/04 5:37 PM (permalink)
                                              Last Saturday evening, I drove four hours to Junction City, Kansas, for a night of walleye fishing. Got a motel in town when I arrived about dark, then headed for Milford Lake. I passed a Church's Chicken en route, so of course I had to stop.

They had just dumped a fresh batch of chicken out of the fryer. I bought a box with two thighs, a leg and a biscuit for $2.50 and drove with it to Milford Dam. There, I rolled down the car windows, sat in the dark and scarfed hot fried chicken. It was pretty darn good.

We have a Church's in Columbia, but this one was better. Or maybe it was just the long drive and the refreshing touch of cool night air off the lake.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                                                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Thu, 04/8/04 9:02 PM (permalink)

Of the 'quickie' chicken stands i like Popeye's the best overall. A box of the spicy chicken...and the Mashed Potato(not so good alone) with the sausage pepper gravy (much better) The slaw is usually too sweet, but not all the time.

BigGlenn

RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Fri, 04/9/04 12:43 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  "local Safeway supermarket deli"

Stater Brothers Supermarket Deli here in the Los Angeles Area has great fried chicken as well. For the price it can't be beat. However, it has to be fresh from the kettle. If it sits for more than a minute it ain't worth buying.

Biscuit

• Total Posts: 73
                                                    RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Fri, 04/9/04 10:34 AM (permalink)

Hey Pwingsx,

No, I've never tried White Fence Farms. I'm not even sure where it is, but I've heard of it.

I agree on Soopers fried chicken, it's pretty good, too. I've found, like Safeway, the quality can vary from store to store, though. I like their rotisserie chicken, too

There is a review in today's Rocky Mountain News of Pierre's Supper Club, where the reviewer says they have "The best fried chicken in Denver." The place is like 3 blocks from my place, but I've never eaten there as the prices seem kind of steep. I guess I'll have to try it

B

angelfood

• Location: Lowcountry, SC
                                                      RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Fri, 04/9/04 11:11 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by emsmom

Does anyone know where you can get potato wedges that taste like the Holly Taters. KFC's wedges doesn't even compare.
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:

There's a place in Bluffton, SC called Nickelpumper's, which is really a gas station/convenience store, that makes great fried chicken and tater wedges. At least they used to, I haven't been there in a while. It's in the original town of Bluffton, not the new part which is the booming metropolis leading into Hilton Head.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                                        • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                                        RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Sat, 04/10/04 7:39 PM (permalink)
                                                        Biscuit,

I quit getting the Rocky a few months ago ($100+ a year is too much when all I really wanted was the Spotlight anyway). I'll check it out online. Was it a review from John Lehndorff? I love him.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                                                          • Location: Kaukauna, WI
                                                          RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Mon, 04/12/04 1:38 AM (permalink)
                                                          The Best fried chicken here in Northeast Wisconsin is a supper club called The Skyview club. Around here the supper clubs and wedding places have the best fried chicken. Marys has the broasted chicken which is damn good.KFC is ok in a pinch but I dont care for it much. Culvers is also very good but a tad pricey.

Alexander

• Total Posts: 164
                                                            • Location: Columbia, SC
                                                            RE: Church's Chicken and other Chicken Fried Ramblin Fri, 04/30/04 7:24 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

quote:

Church's!!! Yuck!!

I tried my first Popeye's last night. The Red Beans and Rice were OK (not as good as mine) but the cole slaw was very bland. The chicken was good (I've had worse and I've had better) but nothing to write home about. I will say this - the chicken was FRESH, not frozen, and not held in cold storage for days. This is unusual in so many fried chicken places around here. Most places seem to use frozen chicken, although we have 4 good, big chicken farming and slaughtering operations within a 30 mile radius of the city.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com