Churrascarias, anyone?

Author
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
2003/12/15 14:32:04 (permalink)

Churrascarias, anyone?

On my last post I was looking for a "simple" meal in a "cozy" place. I ended up making reservations at a Brazilian "churrascaria"...anything BUT what I had been searching for, but it looked like a really fun experience.
Has anyone been to one of these "things"? The website I looked at makes gives me the feeling that this will be a cross between a circus and great steak dinner!!

26 Replies Related Threads

Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/15 14:56:46 (permalink)
    It is fun, but chaotic. Be hungry. You will have the chance to meet all your favorite characters from childhood books: Chicken Little, Jemima Puddleduck, Turkey Lurkey, Babe, Elsie, Bambi, Thumper, you name it. I think the key is 1) not to eat breakfast and 2) not to be seduced by the salad bar, potatoes, bread, etc. Save yourself for the meat, which will arrive in vast quantities so long as you keep the green end up. My favorites are the skirt steak and short ribs. The sauce on the table is spicy but refreshing. It's an experience not to be missed.
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/15 15:08:24 (permalink)
    I have been to churrascarias in South America and the US. They tend to be upscale, elegant cafeterias, with a sole intention of showing you a good time while plying you with copius amounts of grilled meats. If you go, be sure to try a "caipirinha" (a concoction of fresh limes, sugar, ice and "cachaça" - Brazilian liquor made from raw sugar cane). Just one, for the experience. They go down smooth, but you will go down much harder if you have too many.
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/15 15:32:16 (permalink)
    oh boy!!! Sounds like we're going to have fun! Thanks!
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/15 15:49:01 (permalink)
    This is one of the best things to try. Talk about a protein high!! Meat brought to the table on long swords and carved to suit. So much fun!! Oh, you will not leave hungry for sure!!
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/15 15:55:55 (permalink)
    If you're going to Churrascaria Plataforma you'll have a great time. None of the food is a great stretch for the American palate, so your mom should really enjoy it. It's a nice restaurant, with friendly staff. There's plenty of trafic there as well, so they always have a great selection of meats.
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/15 16:16:35 (permalink)
    Thanks, Willy. That IS where we're going. It really does look like a great deal of fun.
    Thanks for the reassurance about Mom, too. I've been a bit nervous since making the reservation.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/15 16:59:41 (permalink)
    Having been there a few times -- and enjoyed it -- I have three pieces of advice. One is to avoid going overboard the first few times they bring the meats to your table: often, the quality of the meat gets better as you get deeper into your meal (and less hungry).

Two, be careful if they come to your table, all cheerful, offering to pour something from a bottle as though you're all great buddies. It'll show up on your bill. That probably won't happen if you're not in a large group.

Three, my wife tells me the desserts are only so-so. I've never had one, but she was there on a business dinner two weeks ago (which is how I also learned lesson number two).
    chinesegirl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/15 17:26:35 (permalink)
    An alternative to busy Brazilian churrascaria is a Argentinean restaurant. A romantic cozy dinner can consist an simple green salad with hearts of palm, a skirt steak with Chimichurri sauce with some nice Argentinian red wine. Don't forget the flan w/ Dulce de Leche..Yummy...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/15 19:30:53 (permalink)
    I wish they had one in Knoxville.

I had a similar meal in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I love their type of grilling food. You could watch the food being grilled on this huge slanted BBQ pit and they sliced it similar to Texas BBQ.

I love Argentine red wine and their potatoes are great.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    martyspizza
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/18 16:23:33 (permalink)
    the plataforma is the best place in the world!!!!!!!!!!! after reading this thread i have to get back there soon. and from my experience the deserts were top notch. i know that because after several caprinhas and a fantastic meal they rolled up the massive many tiered desert cart (assuming like the meal it was all you can polish off)so i did. and after sampeling many deserts(pies, puding, terimisu, and many more ) the bill came, and the deserts (as good as they were) were not free. luckily i was with 15 other guys so it looked like everyone had a desert.. all and all my favorite dining experience!!!!! 5 stars
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6831
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/18 17:29:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

I have been to churrascarias in South America and the US. They tend to be upscale, elegant cafeterias, with a sole intention of showing you a good time while plying you with copius amounts of grilled meats. If you go, be sure to try a "caipirinha" (a concoction of fresh limes, sugar, ice and "cachaça" - Brazilian liquor made from raw sugar cane). Just one, for the experience. They go down smooth, but you will go down much harder if you have too many.

Yummmm......caipirinha on the beach at Buzios or Porto Seguro, Brazil, then a nice meal in a churrascaria.....a walk thru the bazaar after.
    We'll be spending a month in Bahia, can't wait!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/18 18:42:32 (permalink)
    There is a restaurant in Atlanta and several other US cities plus several in Brazil call Fago De Chao (I think) The one is Atlanta is on Piedmont in the 3000 block.

I have not been there but apparently they have a huge salad bar and when you are ready to eat, you turn a chip from red to green and they bring on the meat ranging from lamb, steak, ribs etc.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6831
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/18 19:15:01 (permalink)
    Oh yes, and then you turn the chip back to red..........signaling that you've had it, cannot eat one more morsel, stop it or I'm going to burst or die at the same time...but they still keep coming around. How can all those Brazilian women eat that much food and look good in thongs on the beach????? Huh??????
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/18 20:28:45 (permalink)
    lleechef:
    Not all the Brazilian women looks so good.

Those that eat too much like we do in the good ole USA tend to bulk up. Those ladies in Brazil that looks so good are like NYC models. They either starve or on constant Dr. Atkins diets I have spent a lot of time in Sao Paulo and in Argentina. Lotsa plump ladies and gentlement down there. From what I see, they is not a lot of rice and fish eaters there.

I still like their restaurants particlarly in Buenos Aires. Great BBQ, potatoes and wine there.

This is a neat city with a lot of Italians, Germans and Swiss citizens.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4584
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/19 00:58:16 (permalink)
    These sound kinda fun :-)

I don't think there are any in Cincinnati yet....
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/19 03:07:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

lleechef:
    Not all the Brazilian women looks so good.

Those that eat too much like we do in the good ole USA tend to bulk up. Those ladies in Brazil that looks so good are like NYC models. They either starve or on constant Dr. Atkins diets I have spent a lot of time in Sao Paulo and in Argentina. Lotsa plump ladies and gentlement down there. From what I see, they is not a lot of rice and fish eaters there.

I still like their restaurants particlarly in Buenos Aires. Great BBQ, potatoes and wine there.

This is a neat city with a lot of Italians, Germans and Swiss citizens.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

And that samba is quite a workout!
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/21 21:08:51 (permalink)
    If anyone is travelling to Walt Disney World and is looking for a great churrascaria (and who isn't?), then check out Crazy Grill on International Drive in Orlando. (Review here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/dining/orl-livdining19011903jan19,0,4078346.story?coll=orl-caldiningtop)

Staff is really friendly. Great selection and a refreshing oasis of a restaurant in wall of chain restaurants that inhabits international drive.
    booboobirdie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2003/12/29 15:48:01 (permalink)
    I just wanted to quickly share my experience with you all. It was WONDERFUL!!! The "salad bar" was beautiful, well-kept and fresh looking, covered with veggies, salads, shrimp, sushi. And the meats were just amazing. I've never had so many types of meat in one sitting. Everything was tender, flavorful, and surprisingly hot. I couldn't ask for a better meal in NYC for under $50 per person!!
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2004/02/24 12:05:59 (permalink)
    There are several churrascarias in the metro Atlanta area. My favorite is Carro de Boi, 8612 Roswell Road between Sandy Springs and Roswell in Loehman's Plaza. It is more reasonable than Fogo de Chao by far, and according to a friend who was raised in Brazil is better than Fogo de Chao. I could fill up on the salad bar without ever tasting the meat - although that has never happened.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1187
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2004/02/24 12:57:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

These sound kinda fun :-)

I don't think there are any in Cincinnati yet....

'Tis our lot in life as Cincinnatians, TJ. As Mark Twain said, when the world ends I want to be in Cincinnati because everything happens there ten years later.

We have made great strides in child labor and women's suffrage, however....
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2004/02/24 19:58:53 (permalink)
    Was in a churrascaria a couple of weeks ago in Rockville, MD -- Greenfields, which also has locations in NY and elsewhere. Recommend -- great service.

ps - we need a smiley that shows someone the all you can eat experience ...
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2004/02/24 20:03:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marberthenad

Was in a churrascaria a couple of weeks ago in Rockville, MD -- Greenfields, which also has locations in NY and elsewhere. Recommend -- great service.

ps - we need a smiley that shows someone the all you can eat experience ...

Speedy Alka-Seltza!
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2004/07/25 19:29:02 (permalink)
    Churrascaria Barraida in Mineola NY is very good, as is GreenField in Farmingdale, NY. My 9 year old son ate about 4 poounds of skirt steak, buffalo and scallops wrapped in bacon there one night. He actuallky did not get sick. (he did grow about 4 inches in a week, though)
    kelehr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2005/07/14 23:16:01 (permalink)
    Fogo de Chao in Houston. My sister compared the flavor to the one in Brazil. Some of the menu items were differant but it still is good. Salad bar is great also & the service is absolutly fantastic. Were going this Saturday so gotta go purge before we leave.
    tigerborn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2006/07/25 20:14:14 (permalink)
    Fire of Brazil right outside of Atlanta is a decent place. They have holiday specials where they serve more exotic meats such as alligator, quail, etc. Worth checking out.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2403
    RE: Churrascarias, anyone? 2006/07/26 00:38:33 (permalink)
    My girlfriend and I went to the Churrascaria Plataforma in the Tribeca neighborhood of NYC. Blew my mind! The layout and architecture in the place is incredible! A waterfall and a very relaxing atmosphere. All the better for the feast to come. It's easy to get taken in by the salad bar buffet. And this is no "Ponderosa" style salad bar, but high end stuff like shrimp, squid,fruits, grilled and marinated vegetables for starters. Save your appetite for the main event! Meat that is so simply seasoned and is so moist and full of flavor. Prime rib, sausage, chicken, pork chops, sucking pig, filet of beef, cuts of beef and pork that I can't even remember. To paraphrase Bobby Flay, I was "food drunk" by the end of the night! Couldn't eat like that often, but well worth a return visit!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1