Churros

Author
SDJunkMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
2012/06/13 21:12:25 (permalink)

Churros

I got a request from a venue that I am a vendor at to serve churros for a special event.  I have fryers, so that isn't a problem, but I have never made churros.  Anyone have a recipe and any suggestions?  How large is a typical order? 
Thanks,
Jeff

14 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re:Churros 2012/06/14 00:03:48 (permalink)
    There are a bunch of videos on Youtube on the subject.
    You'll need something like this:
    http://www.mrchurrosusa.com/domestic_churros_machines.html
    or a cookie press. Or a pastry bag.
    Or buy them pre-made and flash fry them and roll in cinnamon sugar.
    http://www.eatfunfoods.com/product.sc?productId=132&categoryId=21
    A typical order is 1 or 2 depending on the size.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/06/14 00:05:16
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Churros 2012/06/14 00:19:27 (permalink)
     Churros
    Serves: 12 to 15 servings
    Ingredients
    Ingredients
    Directions
    To make the crullers: In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup water, the butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt over medium-high heat until the edges of the liquid start to bubble. Add the flour all at once and stir briskly with a wooden spoon until well mixed and no lumps of flour remain.
    Remove from the heat. Add 4 of the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each. The dough should look soft and glossy and keep a "hook" shape when the spoon is pulled from the dough. If not, beat in the last egg.
    Scrape the dough into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pour enough canola oil into a deep heavy skillet (cast iron is ideal) to fill 1-inch. Heat over medium heat until the tip of the handle of a wooden spoon gives off a slow steady stream of tiny bubbles. Carefully pipe the dough into the oil, forming 6-inch crullers. Pipe only as many crullers into the oil as fit comfortably. Overcrowding the pan will result in soggy crullers. Fry, turning once, until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining dough.
    Put the sugar and the cinnamon in a paper bag. Crimp the top and shake well to mix. Drop a few crullers at a time into the bag and shake until coated.
    Best served as soon as possible.

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Churros 2012/06/14 01:01:47 (permalink)
    Here in Miami in the streets of Little Havana, a typical order is about a half a dozen pieces that are about 7-8 inches long. While the link above gets the idea right, the commercial Churreras are sort of like a small tank press that sits over a deep fryer. there's a spoked handle much on the side that is turned to force out the raw dough through the die into the oil in a continuous string that breaks occasionally. They are shook in a paper bag with regular granulated sugar or mixed with cinnamon. Real Churros are not as thick as shown in the picture either. They are in the order of 1" to 1 1/4 inches wide in a splined shape. Since they hit the oil from the press above, they often are not straight. There are no fillings in Cuban style Churros that I've ever seen.

I don't make these, but here is the classic recipe based on Nitza Villapol's recipes from the 1950's like you would find on the streets of Miami today. There is no egg or vanilla in the real deal. Anisette is the only flavoring that's sometimes added I've ever heard of added.

1 tsp salt
    1 c milk & 1 cup water or 2 c water
    2 c all purpose, sifted flour
    1 tbsp butter
    heat the milk,water,salt, and butter to a boil. Add the flour at once and beat smooth. Allow to come to room temperature. Drop pressed mixture into 400 degree peanut oil or shortening. Drain on paper towels or rack and then toss in a bag with regular sugar or with some cinnamon added. If you have access to an anisette cordial, add 1 tablespoon with the flour
    post edited by DawnT - 2012/06/14 01:04:49
    SDJunkMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Churros 2012/06/14 15:01:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recipes, I'll give them a try.  I have a cookie press, so I will see how that works. Annisette sounds good,I wonder how much you would add?
    Jeff
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Churros 2012/06/14 15:12:52 (permalink)
    One tablespoon of Anisette with the flour.

Thanks for the recipe Dawn.

A little Anisette sugar might be nice...

http://www.victoriapacking.com/special.html
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/14 15:16:21
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:Churros 2012/06/14 16:03:51 (permalink)
    Here's a thread on churros from awhile back.  In it is a picture of my churro machine.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Mexican-Funnel-Cakes-m558156.aspx
    DawnT
    Re:Churros 2012/06/14 18:31:20 (permalink)
    Hi Jeff,

One tablespoon to the flour is what the text suggests. I would venture a guess that was the same as the liqueurs that were added to coffee or for flavoring. When I was a kid, I think I remember the name Ball's as an American brand that was used as a topper for ice cream along with Creme de Menthe for special ocassions. That flavor isn't present on the streets here and was probably a colonial Cuba twist found in hotels and high end restaurants before the 1959 revoloution. I've heard of anisette churros being a Sunday morning treat along with cafe con leche in old Cuba, but never had them. I wouldn't bother with it until you get your first batches down. In fact, I'd just use the 2 c water instead of the milk first because of the tendency for milk to cause browning. I'd get my technique down with the minimum of variable first.  

SDJunkMan

Thanks for the recipes, I'll give them a try.  I have a cookie press, so I will see how that works. Annisette sounds good,I wonder how much you would add?
    Jeff

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Churros 2012/06/15 09:34:34 (permalink)
    Do you ever see any "stuffed" churros in Miami?
    DawnT
    Re:Churros 2012/06/15 15:18:11 (permalink)
    Never. They're generally sold out of a food truck or pull behind cart. Most are like an van ice cream truck conversion on the streets. There's an ice cream joint in a strip shopping center near me that makes them too, but it's usually more a street food. Only way that I've ever seen them around here sold is in a bag with sugar. Miami Beach is in a world of it's own and lots of folks visiting Miami seem to think what's on the Beach is what's in mainlad Miami proper. Over there they do all kinds of latin fusion foods and strange things as signature creations and I wouldn't doubt someone is stuffing them. I saw a picture of Churros plate served up dusted with confectioneer's sugar and several dips on the net as an offering at some beach venue. That seems to be the typical plating over there or a sauce like chocolate drizzled over them on a dish. The standard dough is kind of brittle and would also have to be much larger in width to stuff. What we have around here is barely more then an inch.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Churros 2012/06/15 16:22:17 (permalink)
    I figured they were something new as a spin and not traditional because many restaurants in Union City have always carried them...the traditional variety. I've only seen a few stuffed in recent day...but not at the restaurants that are traditional. I think the spin was guava and chocolate varieties.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Churros 2012/06/15 18:01:51 (permalink)
    Stuffed Churros are relatively new. The most common stuffing is dulce de leche, followed by chocolate. Some are even stuffed with Chipotle Cheese. They're tough to do unless you have special equipment.
    http://www.mrchurrosusa.com/products1.html
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/06/15 18:02:57
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Churros 2012/06/15 18:30:20 (permalink)
    They do sell them at El Artesano in Union City....

http://www.eatingintransl...6/el-artesano-res.html

They look like they could get messy...fast.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 815
    Re:Churros 2012/06/16 09:13:39 (permalink)
    SDJunkMan

I got a request from a venue that I am a vendor at to serve churros for a special event.  I have fryers, so that isn't a problem, but I have never made churros.  Anyone have a recipe and any suggestions?  How large is a typical order? 
    Thanks,
    Jeff

First saw that SD, he's from San Diego and is asking about Churros!? Opps.

SDJunkMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:Churros 2012/06/19 14:07:15 (permalink)
    fishtaco
    First saw that SD, he's from San Diego and is asking about Churros!? Opps.

I get a lot of people thinking I'm from San Diego due to my user name. I'm sure that's because there are a lot more people in San Dieg than the whole state of South Dakota!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1