Cilantro storage

Author
lone nut
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
2007/07/22 19:07:32 (permalink)

Cilantro storage

I forget where I read this tip on cilantro. When I buy a bunch, which admittedly is almost free, I generally can't use it all before it's gotten sort of rotten. Then, a few days after I've bought one, I have to run back to the store for a fresh bunch. So, here's the tip, seems to work well: Cut an inch or two of stems off, wrap a moist paper towel around the freshly cut stems, put the bunch back in the produce bag, and toss it in the fridge. I can get at least a week out of the bunch this way.
-Scott Lindgren

6 Replies Related Threads

Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/23 09:19:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lone nut

I forget where I read this tip on cilantro. When I buy a bunch, which admittedly is almost free, I generally can't use it all before it's gotten sort of rotten. Then, a few days after I've bought one, I have to run back to the store for a fresh bunch. So, here's the tip, seems to work well: Cut an inch or two of stems off, wrap a moist paper towel around the freshly cut stems, put the bunch back in the produce bag, and toss it in the fridge. I can get at least a week out of the bunch this way.
    -Scott Lindgren

That works really well. You can also place it in a jar with some water and place it on your window sill. It will keep just as long and not get limp or bruised.

joe
    lone nut
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/24 00:36:55 (permalink)
    OK, Texanjoe, I will try that thing with the jar; Should there be a lid on it? I still think making a fresh cut on the stems is not a bad idea, what about refrigeration? Why am I placing the jar on the windowsill?
    I'm from Dallas, what about you?
    Ooh, here's a thought: Cilantro ICE CREAM!!
    -Scott Lindgren
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/24 09:50:38 (permalink)
    No lid. Fresh cut is a good idea. It will continue to absorbe water and stay fresh like fresh cut flowers. Not needed if done this way. For the sunlight. Houston. Yuck.

joe
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/24 13:13:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lone nut

Ooh, here's a thought: Cilantro ICE CREAM!!
    -Scott Lindgren

I think Tara's in Santa Fe makes it!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/30 10:19:59 (permalink)
    Glad to see this, as I just took a dried out bunch from the fridge drawer.. nice and dried up, crunchy and fell apart when I touched it..
    I wonder if I can still use it as a dried seasoning...LOL....

This post might be better off in the Misc/Cooking or Food related thread....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18946
    RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/30 10:36:44 (permalink)
    I store basil, cilantro, parsley, and other herbs by washing them when I bring them home, then allowing them to dry throughly before wrapping them in damp paper towels and putting them in the refrigerator. They'll usually last for more than a week that way.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1