LockedCincinnati Chili

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/08/15 17:00:25 (permalink)
*shrug*

I might move to Arizona, taste the chili there, and decide it somewhat resembles relish or salsa......but would respect that it is still chili.

A variant on what I am used to, but still chili.

Perhaps not pleasing to my palate, but still chili.

etc

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6477
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/08/15 17:49:22 (permalink)
I was thinking the same thing TJ

kaulback157
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/09/14 18:07:39 (permalink)
From where I hail, it is Chili Mac now matter where I have been it is still just good chili on top of spaghetti
Goobzilla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 03:39:45 (permalink)
Soooo....

Which one of these should I order online to try out? I'm curious to try Cincinnati Chili so I want to get a few cans shipped to me. Probably not as good as getting it right in the chili parlor, but the best I can do for now given my location.

Dixie, Skyline, Gold Star? Some other brand I can order online?

Thanks a lot!

Ron
Centralia, WA
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 10:35:00 (permalink)
I don't think you'll get a consensus of opinion - each of the chains you mention has it's devotees.

Each will give you a sense of what Cincinnati style chili is, albeit the experience is best at one of the actual chili parlors, and the independent chili parlors (none of which ship their products) tend to be better.

If this helps....Skyline is the biggest chain and does the most in sales....Dixie is the smallest.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 10:42:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I don't think you'll get a consensus of opinion - each of the chains you mention has it's devotees.

Each will give you a sense of what Cincinnati style chili is, albeit the experience is best at one of the actual chili parlors, and the independent chili parlors (none of which ship their products) tend to be better.

If this helps....Skyline is the biggest chain and does the most in sales....Dixie is the smallest.

The only one I don't really like is Gold Star. I have always found it to have a spicy bite at the back of the throat that is not altogether pleasant.

The neighborhood parlors, such as Price Hill Chili and Blue Ash Chili, are also well worth examining.
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 10:52:59 (permalink)
I tried the frozen and didn't like it but I just looked at skyline's website and they have a location about 4 hours from me..i think I'll take a saturday morning road trip and give it a try. i'm guessing that the 5 way is the place to start..? (the chili fries look pretty good)
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 11:08:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Larry - RibRater - Jay

I tried the frozen and didn't like it but I just looked at skyline's website and they have a location about 4 hours from me..i think I'll take a saturday morning road trip and give it a try. i'm guessing that the 5 way is the place to start..? (the chili fries look pretty good)

I like the five-way as a starting point. As Calvin Trillin once wrote, "I have never tried the unadorned version of anything. I like everything with everything."
RibRater
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 11:15:51 (permalink)
great quote! 5 way it is then.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 15:06:47 (permalink)
I always get my 5 way "Wet" in which they add a little extra chili to the top.

You have to get some cheese coneys to go with the 5 way

The chili fries are to me disappointing, skyline is a thinner chili so it makes the fries soggy.

RibRater
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 15:28:07 (permalink)
ok, will pass on the fries and get 1 coney
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 15:28:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

I always get my 5 way "Wet" in which they add a little extra chili to the top.

But also ask for the spaghetti "well drained" or "dry" so that less of the water the spaghetti sits in ends up in the bottom of your dish.

Cincy chili is thin enough - no more water needed or wanted :-)
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1032
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/10/18 22:31:34 (permalink)
I was just talking to someone tonight about my "love" of chili cheese sandwiches {no hot dog}.

Although every single franchise of any "Cincy chili chain" makes it different, the chili soaks into the bun. Less soakage with cheese on the bottom, more if there is none. But the "chili soakage" is a good thing.

Yep, sometimes you cannot pick up a chili cheese sammich, but a fork doesn't change the taste. Cheaper than a four-way, and way tastier IMHO. At some of the less popular chains, the "dirty water dogs" can be {not talking about the big chains, like Skyline, Gold Star, or even the independent Camp Washington}. Turn over is a good thing!!

Back to the point{?}, if you are buying the canned stuff, I think Dixie Chili is your best bet. And how about Empress? It IS the original. And they do sell it in cans.
Goobzilla
Junior Burger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/11 02:45:21 (permalink)
Ok,

So I figured I'd follow up with my 1st foray into Cincinnati chili. I ordered 6 cans from Gold Star's website. I brought it into work and made a batch for my whole night crew. A little 3 way (onions on request) for a dozen people. Long story short, everyone loved it! We're already looking forward to our next order. The shipping is kind of a killer to Washington state, how does Gold Star's dry mix pouches compare to the canned stuff? Might save us a few $$$. Next time we think we're doing coneys and either 3 way fries or baked potatoes. It's always fun to discover a new regional taste. Now everyone's mad I only got the 6 cans because it went FAST!

Thanks RF'ers!
Ron
Centralia, WA
Josquin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 08:35:43 (permalink)
Ron, I'm glad everyone enjoyed. It's a dangerous habit, though, because there's really no other food that does that job. There are some pretty good recipes online, and it's not too tough to make large batches from scratch. There's a very odd site called Beergeek.com that I've been using. The guy who runs it is on a quest to duplicate Skyline at home (a notch or two above Gold Star, IMHO). Anyhow, I don't like the most recent recipe (15), because I disagree with the addition of chopped onion. Back me up here, people, it's not in the real deal. But recipe 13 makes a pretty darned fine batch of chili. I know some of my forum-mates were perplexed by the recipe, but I make it often, and it satisfies the craving.

You know, I've never served this to anyone who didn't love it. Why is it that they don't seem to have much luck expanding their range? We could sure use one up here in Minnesota.

Cheers,

Jos
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 09:15:22 (permalink)

Congratulations, Ron, on introducing a new experience to your friends. My first experience with Cincinnati-style Chili came during a lunch when I interviewed for a job here in southern Indiana back in 1978. The chili was served in a cup like soup would be, which was fine. The taste was unique, which was also fine...but then i found pasta in the bottom of the cup and I about lost my lunch! I thought I had been served my chili in a "USED CUP" (READ DIRTY-DISH). I had never seen Spagetti served like that before. After the first shock everything was fine !

Like TJ mentions in his post, I wish they would drain the pasta better when they build a 5 way,etc, I don't like the watery remains in the plate! Perhaps serving in a soup bowl with a soup spoon like other Chili's would work...but a fork on a watery plate makes for many 'spills'.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/12/08 18:08:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Goobzilla

Ok,

So I figured I'd follow up with my 1st foray into Cincinnati chili. I ordered 6 cans from Gold Star's website. I brought it into work and made a batch for my whole night crew. A little 3 way (onions on request) for a dozen people. Long story short, everyone loved it! We're already looking forward to our next order. The shipping is kind of a killer to Washington state, how does Gold Star's dry mix pouches compare to the canned stuff? Might save us a few $$$. Next time we think we're doing coneys and either 3 way fries or baked potatoes. It's always fun to discover a new regional taste. Now everyone's mad I only got the 6 cans because it went FAST!

Thanks RF'ers!
Ron
Centralia, WA

If you get the dry mix pouches of skyline or gold star, you can make a very good substitute for the canned or the real thing.

If you do get the seasoning pouches

Make sure to simmer it for at least 90 minutes, this helps the beef to break down into the fine grind which is the key.
Goobzilla
Junior Burger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/07 07:51:55 (permalink)
So an update on bringing Cincinnati chili to the Pacific Northwest. We mail ordered 10 cans of Skyline and had another chili night out here at work. I now see why this brand war is such a hot button issue in the Cincinnati area. The crew was pretty much split down the middle on which one they liked better the Skyline or the Gold Star from our 1st time. Horse trading of cans of one brand for another took place the next night. The good news is we decided that next time we will get some Dixie in the interest of trying all the canned varieties.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13526
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/07 16:46:28 (permalink)
Each time I fly through the Cincy airport, I always have some Gold Star in concourse B.

It is always delicious.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
dahl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/07 19:14:00 (permalink)
Had some similar food over the holidays. We had an old fashioned Christmas caroling party and a family provided supper after we all stood out in the cold singing. One of the things served was kind of a cross between loose meat sandwiches (called Sloppy Joes around here) and Cincinnati chili. The host served it either over spaghetti with shredded cheese and chopped onions or on a bun and you could add your own shredded cheese, pickles, or chopped onions. A lot thicker than the Cincinnati chili that I remember having, and didn't taste much like chili to me.
Also while on the road at a place called the Old Nashville Chili Parlor and Fish House I had chili served over spaghetti but that tasted more like Texas style chili with a lot more cumin and chili flavor. Similar to what I've had before at the O. T. Hodge Chili Parlors in St. Louis, served Cincinnati style, but tasting more like chili.
dahl
Oops! That's the Old LOUISVILLE Chili Parlor and Fish House.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6399
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/07 19:34:48 (permalink)
Sloppy Joes, Loosemeat and Cincinnati Chili are three separate things as well as ground sausage in spaghetti sauce on spaghetti. I'm sure there are variations but isn't the actual chili as in Cincinnati chili a different taste and flavoring as opposed to, say, a Texas variety?

I grew up in Indianapolis thinking chili always had chopped up spaghetti mixed in with the chili. That's the way my mom always made it.
dahl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/08 19:17:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Sloppy Joes, Loosemeat and Cincinnati Chili are three separate things as well as ground sausage in spaghetti sauce on spaghetti. I'm sure there are variations but isn't the actual chili as in Cincinnati chili a different taste and flavoring as opposed to, say, a Texas variety?
I agree Davydd. But if Cincinnati chili is a just different tasting chili, then why can't sloppy joe meat served Cincy style just be different tasting Cincy chili??

I enjoy that Skyline stuff. I seek it out when I drive through Ohio twice a year. Just off I-480 in Cleveland. Four way with onions. But to me it is not chili. Same way that a "hamburger steak" to me is NOT a steak, no matter what it is called.

I like root beer too, and I'll ask for it by name. but you'll never convince me that it's beer.
dahl
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/08 19:20:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dahl

quote:

I agree Davydd. But if Cincinnati chili is a just different tasting chili, then why can't sloppy joe meat served Cincy style just be different tasting Cincy chili??

I enjoy that Skyline stuff. I seek it out when I drive through Ohio twice a year. Just off I-480 in Cleveland. Four way with onions. But to me it is not chili. Same way that a "hamburger steak" to me is NOT a steak, no matter what it is called.

I like root beer too, and I'll ask for it by name. but you'll never convince me that it's beer.
dahl

Amen to that, brother!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/08 19:59:51 (permalink)
Odd.....despite the stated focus of this website, you two have no tolerance for regional variations in food?

Really?

C'mon now, you're pulling our collective leg here, right?
porkbeaks
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/08 20:55:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Odd.....despite the stated focus of this website, you two have no tolerance for regional variations in food?

Really?

C'mon now, you're pulling our collective leg here, right?

Hey TJ, at least the other poster likes the stuff. pb
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6399
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/08 21:42:09 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

dahl

It is not a question whether you like it or not. If the chili is not the ingredients associated with Cincinnati chili of Greek origin then it is not Cincinnati chili. It is a regional variation of chili for sure as there are other variations of chili around the country. But loosemeat or sloppy joe is in no way considered a chili anywhere that I am aware of. If you want to put loosemeat or sloppy joe on spaghetti I'm sure a Cincinnatian would not agree with you just like a Texan would would not agree to have chili with beans in it. As TJ alluded, have you no respect for regional foods?
porkbeaks
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/08 21:49:21 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

dahl

It is not a question whether you like it or not. If the chili is not the ingredients associated with Cincinnati chili of Greek origin then it is not Cincinnati chili. It is a regional variation of chili for sure as there are other variations of chili around the country. But loosemeat or sloppy joe is in no way considered a chili anywhere that I am aware of. If you want to put loosemeat or sloppy joe on spaghetti I'm sure a Cincinnatian would not agree with you just like a Texan would would not agree to have chili with beans in it. As TJ alluded, have you no respect for regional foods?

I have the respect. It's just in this case I'd call it a respect for the Greek/Cincinnati variation of spaghetti sauce. The fact that I don't care for it has no bearing on that respect. pb
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/01/09 01:23:26 (permalink)
If you respect it, you call it what it is called by those living here.

If you respect kringle, for example, you don't go to Milwaukee and tell everyone it's really a big ole coffeecake. No, respect dictates you call it what the locals call it.....kringle.

That said, it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other if you respect it or not. I do care (a little) that you have made the effort here to claim (more than once, I think, over the course of time) that you do have that respect -- and yet by your own words you do not offer the respect you claim you have.

Oh no! Now I'm gonna have to go get me a "Respect the Chili" teeshirt....ok, exiting soapbox, sorry folks :-)
porkbeaks
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/13 17:05:28 (permalink)
The folks at Chowhound are currently voicing their opinions on this subject. Sounds kind of familiar. Read[url='http://www.chowhound.com/topics/487643']here[/url]. pb
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/13 21:52:41 (permalink)
If you mean that there are those who understand and those that do not, agreed.....
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1