LockedCincinnati Chili

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 16:04:51 (permalink)
I am going to let the cat out of the bag. A closely guarded secret is that some Cinci chili has celery salt in it.
Joe
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 16:22:45 (permalink)
As I have said before, the most improtant thing to understand about Cincinnati chili is that it is not chili. It's great, but it is just not chili.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 16:47:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

As I have said before, the most improtant thing to understand about Cincinnati chili is that it is not chili. It's great, but it is just not chili.

well, it's called "cincinatti chili," therefore, it is indeed chili. It isn't Texas Chili, but it is chili nonetheless. The most important thing to understand about chili, is that chili is a great many things all across the land. The fact that ICS chili competitions do not include beans or noodles, doesn't mean squat - especially since there's a chili catagory (people's choice)that specifically states it must include beans and/or pasta. The only reason the chili competition makes the rules so tediously limiting, is to make it possible to actuallly compare the chilis. But, competition chili also has lots of other limitations that you basically never see this type of chili in any chili parlor.

Cincinnati Chili is as much chili as any other chili out there. Styles change. Deal with it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 16:52:50 (permalink)
Oh, I don't have to deal with it. I love the stuff. In fact, I just moght hit Skyline this evening. But what it really is is Greek spaghetti sauce.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 16:55:50 (permalink)
quote:

Cincinnati chili is....not chili

Err, uhh....wrong. Sorry old dude :-)

I'll let you have the last word, so you can reply back "yes it is" but I will skip the "it is" "it isn't" "it is" it isn't" that will surely follow :-)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 17:02:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

I am going to let the cat out of the bag. A closely guarded secret is that some Cinci chili has celery salt in it.
Joe

*shrug*

poll a thousand folks and you might come up with a thousand variations on any given recipe - including cincinnati style chili.

it'd be just as valid to say "some cincinnati chili has saffron in it" or "some cincinnati chili has gold leaf in it" or "some cincinnati chili has foie gras in it". I don't doubt any of that, given the nigh infinite array of variations possible.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 17:21:32 (permalink)
quote:

But what it really is is Greek spaghetti sauce.
[|)][|)][|)]

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 17:22:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:

Cincinnati chili is....not chili

Err, uhh....wrong. Sorry old dude :-)

I'll let you have the last word, so you can reply back "yes it is" but will skip the "it is" "it isn't" "it is" it isn't" that will surely follow :-)

Why TJ, I have no need for that. And I am heading to Skyline for a needed fix. A four-way with onions and a couple of coneys, no cheese.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 17:23:43 (permalink)
Noun
S: (n) chili, chili con carne (ground beef and chili peppers or chili powder often with tomatoes and kidney beans)

Above is Websters dictionary descriptive.However, WHATEVER Cinn.chili is, I love it.The only redeemable quality of Steak and Shake, IMO, is their chili tastes like Cinn.style, therefore I can get it in the Milwaukee area.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 17:46:11 (permalink)
Good point TJ. Now to know what Cinci chili places use celery salt.
Joe
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/14 22:29:08 (permalink)
Papajoe: Good luck with that :-)

Ann: check the dictionary definition for pizza and see if it covers all the variations you know of :-)

Score: yeah, it is getting a bit tiresome....

ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/15 09:37:01 (permalink)
Interesting, TJ, I did just that.The definition for pizza was much more generic...
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/15 10:02:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Interesting, TJ, I did just that.The definition for pizza was much more generic...

The M-W dictionary is not always complete, and is not the definitive authority on subjects. Rather, the dictionary merely gives meaning to words for people who don't know what a word means. It's a reference book, but not nearly complete. The meaning of music for example is:

Main Entry: mu·sic
Pronunciation: \#712;myü-zik\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English musik, from Anglo-French musike, from Latin musica, from Greek mousikç any art presided over by the Muses, especially music, from feminine of mousikos of the Muses, from Mousa Muse
Date: 13th century
1 a: the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b: vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony
2 a: an agreeable sound : euphony <her voice was music to my ears> b: musical quality <the music of verse>
3: a musical accompaniment <a play set to music>
4: the score of a musical composition set down on paper
5: a distinctive type or category of music <there is a music for everybody — Eric Salzman>

While this entry provides a few meanings for the word, the entry is incomplete and not entirely correct. For example, M-W includes: "to produce a composition having unity and continuity" in its primary meaning. Music theorists would easily dispute this. M-W uses the phrase so as to separate musical sounds from non-musical sounds (such as noise). But as any music theorists can tell you, sounds needn't specifically have unity nor continuity to be music. However, for a disctionary, this phrase is necessary since there is no short and easy way to leave this phrase out but still distinguish the primary meaning of "music" from "noise."

So, anyway, my point is, when one uses the dictionary to provide any sort of conclusion to prove the definition of a subject, one will ultimately come up short.

NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/15 10:09:42 (permalink)
I had never heard of Cincinnati Chili until I found RF a few years ago. Sheltered life I know. Last weekend I decided I wanted to try and make some and beings I'm a pasta fiend anyways I thought this might be right up my alley.

Searched the internet and found a recipe that sounded good to me. Whether anyone in Cincinnati would recognize this as the real deal I don't know. Anyways, I cooked this Sunday night and had some 5 way. I really loved the spice combination of the chili along with the pasta, beans, onions and cheese so much I had it again for breakfast Monday morning. " />

I like a sharp cheese so I shredded some 5 year old Wisconsin cheddar on mine.

I plan on having this again real soon.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/15 10:14:58 (permalink)
I agree,Scorereader,M-W was not all that good.But dont have time for alot of research right now..
Nebguy-5 year old Wi.cheddar is the best!That is all I buy now-a little goes a long way.If you ever want some sent to you, let me know..
Slim Strummer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/15 10:27:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy

I had never heard of Cincinnati Chili until I found RF a few years ago. Sheltered life I know. Last weekend I decided I wanted to try and make some and beings I'm a pasta fiend anyways I thought this might be right up my alley.

Searched the internet and found a recipe that sounded good to me. Whether anyone in Cincinnati would recognize this as the real deal I don't know. Anyways, I cooked this Sunday night and had some 5 way. I really loved the spice combination of the chili along with the pasta, beans, onions and cheese so much I had it again for breakfast Monday morning. " />

I like a sharp cheese so I shredded some 5 year old Wisconsin cheddar on mine.

I plan on having this again real soon.

I still have never had it in Cincinnati, but I bought a flavor packet and made it at home too. It was fantastic.

Then, once in Leesburg FL, I had it at a fast food chain the name of which I have forgotten. It was tasteless glop.

So, next time, it will be at home or hopefully in Southwestern Ohio.

Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/15 21:45:28 (permalink)
quote:

Oh, I don't have to deal with it. I love the stuff. In fact, I just moght hit Skyline this evening. But what it really is is Greek spaghetti sauce.

Now, how many people would go to Skyline Greek Spaghetti Sauce?

Anyway, a few months ago I found myself in the Portsmouth Ohio area, about an hour and half east of Cincy. I was surprised, but I couldn't find any Cincy chili in the town. The visitors center told me I would have to get within an hour of Cincy before I could find it. I'm not sure if that is true, as I think there is a Skyline Chili in Cleveland.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/15 22:02:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr
[br

Now, how many people would go to Skyline Greek Spaghetti Sauce?

Anyway, a few months ago I found myself in the Portsmouth Ohio area, about an hour and half east of Cincy. I was surprised, but I couldn't find any Cincy chili in the town. The visitors center told me I would have to get within an hour of Cincy before I could find it. I'm not sure if that is true, as I think there is a Skyline Chili in Cleveland.

I'd say just as many people as now go to Skyline. And Skyline is also in the Columbus area, as well as in Dayton, Toledo, Indiana and Florida. But, it's pretty reasonable that you wouldn't find Cincinnati-style Chili in the Portsmouth area. Portsmouth is Appalachia.
Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/15 22:31:43 (permalink)
I guess Portsmouth is Appalachia. Here on the east coast, most people don't think of Ohio as part of Appalachia.

The odd thing is Marietta, which is also part of Appalchia, doesn't quite seem like Appalchaia. Portsmouth, however, does have an Appalchian feel.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/15 22:39:30 (permalink)
Just about all the unglaciated portion of Ohio is Appalachia.
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/16 00:17:28 (permalink)
If you go about 50 miles north Dayton has a winner in the dog race.
The best dogs anywher west of Chicago. The city dog is an all beef Vienns on a steamed poppy seed pun. Its topped eith dill pickle spear,tomato, mustard, onions bout 4-5 DEADLY bird peppers!, and a hand full of fresh cooked fresh cut fries(Trick-order the fries on the side and get a bagfull-its a full order)
The wife has tried the IB and I did the hot pastrami. All was killer and the food is as good as is possible!

http://www.pugsdoghouse.com/

Well worth the trip and Dayton is much nicer than cinci!
britt
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2008/02/16 07:02:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brittneal

The best dogs anywher west of Chicago. The city dog is an all beef Vienns on a steamed poppy seed pun. Its topped eith dill pickle spear,tomato, mustard, onions bout 4-5 DEADLY bird peppers!, and a hand full of fresh cooked fresh cut fries(Trick-order the fries on the side and get a bagfull-its a full order)
The wife has tried the IB and I did the hot pastrami. All was killer and the food is as good as is possible!

britt

The dog house looks like a neat place. Judging from the address they give are you sure it's 50 miles north of Dayton?
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/01/21 03:56:29 (permalink)
Boy, all this debate about what Cincinnati chili is or isn't. Me, I know what it is.... it's GOOD ( especially if the sign out front says "Skyline". ) And, yes, I consider it to be a regional variation of chili.
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/01/21 05:25:01 (permalink)
I agree that it's not chili, but I sure love it.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15184
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/01/22 11:42:52 (permalink)
I Like it too. I consider  the Cincinnati version to be a regional subset of Chili in general..Like Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex. Not a whole lot different than the definitions used for Regional BBQ preferences.

One thing I would "wish" to improve the item is how it is served. The 1-5 identification is fine, But I wish the standard serving could come in a Bowl rather than on a Flat Plate or Small Platter. Just a personal Preference on my part. I don't think I have ever completed a plate of 5 way without a certain amount of spillage off the plate.
post edited by Al-The Mayor-Bowen - 2009/01/22 11:44:27
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10101
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/01/22 12:20:34 (permalink)
brittneal

britt

Actually Britt, Dayton is East of Chicago!
No wonder why Earl of Sandwich is confused about the directions.

post edited by Foodbme - 2009/01/22 12:23:10
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/01/22 13:37:54 (permalink)
Al, I like to cut mine w/ a fork. That's hard to do in a bowl.

News just in, some Cinci chili has celery seeds as part of it's secret ingredient.
Joe
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7684
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/01/22 13:43:28 (permalink)
PapaJoe8

News just in, some Cinci chili has celery seeds as part of it's secret ingredient.
Joe

Papa Joe,

I can 100% completely assure you without a doubt, that Cincinnati Chili DOES NOT  have celery seed as part of it's secret ingredient. Trust, me, it doesn't. I'm willing to put a monetary wager on it. You want celery seed, try Rhode Island hot wiener sauce,- that has celery seed in it and is as far from cincinnati chili in taste as you can imagine.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/01/27 16:21:23 (permalink)
PapaJoe8
some Cinci chili has celery seeds as part of it's secret ingredient.
You've been pushing this near absolute falsehood for as long as I can remember you being on these forums.

Sure, some random fool may at some point added some celery salt to his "cincinnati-style" chili.  But the item at its core does not include celery salt.

Never has, never will.

Sorry.

I maintain the hope that someday you'll realize that perpetuating a falsehood is not a profitable undertaking.  That said, I am also a lifelong Bengals fan - clinging to forlorn hopes comes naturally to me.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/01/27 16:24:53 (permalink)
PapaJoe8

Joe

...if you said cinnamon I might agree with you...

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/01/27 16:26:17
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1