Cincinnati Chili

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8474
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/09/17 21:27:17 (permalink)
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/09/18 03:22:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

it worked cajunking-I made chili dogs tonight with the canned Skyline chili,and pinching my buns worked!!!

Pinching or squinchin"??????
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8474
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/09/18 07:17:49 (permalink)
a little of both...
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6432
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/09/19 00:46:16 (permalink)
I am glad that trick worked, see my wasted youth spending all that time in the local skyline paid off.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/09/21 14:44:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Dixie Chili has the option to add fresh chopped garlic atop your 2-3-4-5 way

Yes, this is known as a "Clear The Way"." />
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/09/22 13:03:10 (permalink)
Here in Texas I was toping sketty w/ a layer of grated chedar, Wolf Brand chili, chopped onions, and some nacho sliced jalapenos, back in the early 70s. It was a popular late night night snack for my friends after the discos closed.

I think any style chili would work over sketty. Actually I used vermachelli. A bit thinner and works great. I was not even aware of the cinci chili thing back then.

Being a chili nut I have since tried making several batches of Cinci style chili. I liked em all! Thats not saying much for my cooking since the worst chili I ever had was wonderfull!

Ok, a question, what Cinci parlors use celery or celery seeds in their chili? I like the extra flavor.
Joe
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/09/22 21:45:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

This may have been covered in the past, but can anyone who knows Cincinnati chili recommend a reasonable recipe? I recall that some time ago Gourmet did one that looked interesting, but it was quite invovled and made a large quantity for something we might eat once and decide we don't like. Probably what you need to do to make it properly, but does anyone have a favorite home version?

From Chili Nation:

Cincinnati is a city bewitched by chili; there are at least a hundred joints in town that make a specialty of it. And we do mean joints, for chili, Cincinnati-style, tends to be one rude plate of food, best eaten off a Formica counter under humming fluorescent lights after midnight in the company of other devout chiliheads.

Bearing no resemblance to any Southwestern-style “bowl of red,” it is called five-way because there are five separate layers in its full configuration. On a thick oval plate that has enough inward slope so ingredients list towards the center, a base is created from a heap of glistening limp spaghetti noodles; they in turn are topped by a deliriously spiced sauce of finely-ground beef, then beans, then raw onions, and finally a fluffy crown of cheddar cheese. Oyster crackers are the traditional garnish, and the proper companion beverage is a milk shake or sweet soda pop.

NO Cincinnati chili chef gives out his recipe, but we did manage to secure one by sending away a dollar to a lady over the border in Kentucky, who advertised in the back of a Midwest housewife’s magazine that she knew how to make the real thing. With some minor adjustments, it worked for us, and closely approximates some of the city’s best brews. Feel free to fiddle and fuss to your own taste, and if you are missing cardamom or coriander, substitute something else. Five-way practically demands that you reinvent the recipe and make it your own.

1 pound ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup thick barbecue sauce
½ cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon salt
tomato juice, as needed
9 ounces spaghetti, cooked and lightly buttered
1 16-ounce can kidney beans, heated and drained
1 pound Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
oyster crackers as garnish.

Brown the meat with half the chopped onion and garlic, stirring to keep it loose. (Set the remaining onion aside to top the chili when it’s done.) Drain any fat from the pan. Add barbecue sauce and water and bring the pan to a boil. Add the spices. Cover the pan and lower the heat. Simmer thirty minutes, stirring occasionally. The chili will thicken as it cooks. Add tomato juice as necessary to create a brew that ladles up easily. Allow the chili to "rest" at least thirty minutes in a covered pan at room temperature. (Chili can be refrigerated and reheated to serve.)

To make each plate, put a layer of spaghetti down, top it with hot chili, then a few beans, then the reserved chopped onions to taste. Pat on the cheese so the chili’s heat can begin to melt it. Serve immediately with oyster crackers.
Serves 4.

Thanks for the recipe - I'll have to try it. By the way, I don't eat cheese with meat. Can this still be considered true Cincinnati chili if I leave the cheese off?
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/09/23 01:42:32 (permalink)
Yes,

but don't order it that way in Cincy, they will look at you strangley

actually it is done quite often, for those who can't eat dairy, and for they are some that really like it that way.

Cajunking
Stalean
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/10/15 19:50:40 (permalink)
Being a Cincy girl, I was appalled at the way the Greek restaurants serve their chili when I moved to Michigan. Don't gag, but they serve their chili with cheese 'SAUCE'!! " /> Their chili isn't anything to write home about either.

I make my own Cincinnati Chili ala Gold Star (my favorite). Skyline is too thin, IMO. I like mine thick, so I cook it a long time. My recipe is:
Cincinnati Chili
Makes 2 quarts

2 lbs. ground beef (chuck, round, sirloin--your choice)
4 cups water
2 large onions, very finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons Worcesteshire
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 bay leaves (optional)

Do not brown ground beef. Mix ground beef with water in large dutch oven; breaking any large pieces till all is fine and saturated. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Simmer 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally until thick.

I, also, buy Cincinnati Chili Mix packets through mail order from[url='http://www.cincinnati-to-you.com/Default.asp?Page=CAT&CatID=0&SelID=2566']Cincinnati To You[/url] for fast preparation--simmers for 1-1/2 hours. Actually, I probably use the mix more often than not. It is very good.
spicoli
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/11/24 11:17:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cajunking

Yes,

but don't order it that way in Cincy, they will look at you strangley

actually it is done quite often, for those who can't eat dairy, and for they are some that really like it that way.

Cajunking

They sure will look at you strangely. I was in Cincinnati for my job and ate at Skyline three times. Two out of three times I requested no cheese and the waitress looked at me like I was a martian.

The one time I did try the cheese, I thought it was tasteless and didn't add anything to the dish. Blasphemy, I know....
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4593
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/11/24 15:56:17 (permalink)
That's odd... the chili dog (or plain coney) is listed clearly as a menu item at every chili parlor I can think of. I don't see it ordered often, but it's a regular menu item, so I don't see why anyone would get (or give) an odd look.

My youngest daughter (almost 4) regularly wants a plain hot dog - bun and dog, nothing else - and if anyone gives her a hard time, they'll hear from me :-)
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/11/24 16:32:26 (permalink)
TJ

Nobody would look at a child ordering it without cheese as strange. My son loves the hot dawgs and chili no cheese or bun.

I was saying a 3-5 way without cheese, gets strange looks. Unless they know who you are and why you are doing it. That is one thing nice about a local chili parlor they know their customers well.

Spicoli

You should have been here for the habanero cheddar cheese at Skyline... it is called their extreme way, and really adds some good flavor to a 3-5 way.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/11/24 16:42:27 (permalink)
To brown or not brown the meat, that is the question? Oh, and about celery?
Joe
spicoli
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/11/24 16:59:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cajunking

TJ

Nobody would look at a child ordering it without cheese as strange. My son loves the hot dawgs and chili no cheese or bun.

I was saying a 3-5 way without cheese, gets strange looks. Unless they know who you are and why you are doing it. That is one thing nice about a local chili parlor they know their customers well.

Spicoli

You should have been here for the habanero cheddar cheese at Skyline... it is called their extreme way, and really adds some good flavor to a 3-5 way.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I just didn't read the menu closely enough, but that sounds tasty.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2006/11/24 17:26:51 (permalink)
the extreme ways are only during certain periods of the year, I forgot to say that when posting

sorry

but the hab cheddar is really good i wish they did it year round.

Josquin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/04/22 17:42:40 (permalink)
Stalean's got it right. No browning is the secret to that wonderful, velvety texture.

Have to go with no on the celery, and please, in the name of all that is holy, THERE IS NO CHOPPED ONION IN CINCINNATI CHILI! There just isn't.

Whew, sorry. Got a little carried away there. But I'm passionate about this stuff.
bceagle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 07:25:30 (permalink)
I grew up in Miami, OH and am also hooked on either Skyline or Gold Star. Live in Boston now and am constantly trying to perfect a home recipe. I recently tried something because I was in a hurry and it wasn't nearly as bad as you'd think. I'll preface this by saying that I actually like Hormel canned chili without beans on a hot dog with cheese and mustard.

Boil a pound of ground turkey and drain off the water
Throw in a can of the above
Throw in a can of tomato sauce
A t. of Onion powder, Garlic powder, Cinnamon, Allspice, unsweetened powdered chocolate (if you have it--no biggie) and a T chili powder. A few red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne.

Serve it your way -- mmm -- not bad. I know, I know, I REALLY need to get back to Cinci for a reality check.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10382
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 08:11:53 (permalink)
This weekend I will be driving right through Cincy and I plan on stopping at a Dixie Chili in NKY. I love the typical 5-Way, but the idea of putting garlic on top really intrigues me. I don't expect the chili itself to be as good as I have had at Camp Washington Chili or Blue Ash, but it will be interesting to see how the garlic fits in.

To those who have had it.....what do you think?

I still have never eaten at a Gold Star or Skyline Chili!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7890
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 08:18:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

This weekend I will be driving right through Cincy and I plan on stopping at a Dixie Chili in NKY. I love the typical 5-Way, but the idea on putting garlic on top really intrigues me. I don't expect the chili itself to be as good as I have had at Camp Washington Chili or Blue Ash, but it will be interesting to see how the garlic fits in.

Buffetbuster,

I never had the 6 way at Dixie, but I have had the 5 way. I thought that the Chili was just a notch under Camp Washington or Blue Ash, but much better than Skyline and Price Hill.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 08:24:46 (permalink)
WJ-
Just a notch below? I would be thrilled with that. I will be with a couple cousins with limited exposure to Cincy chili (Johnny has only been to Camp Washington and Mark has never had it anywhere), so I was really hoping for it to be good.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 09:33:44 (permalink)
Dixie's chili is decently good, with a bit more spice heat than the average chili purveyor; but I have a very limited tolerance for spice heat and it is well within my range, so a person who really likes spice heat may not even notice. Many locals, including my wife, swear by the place as the best in Cincinnati.

Make sure you asked for your spaghetti dry or well drained....more water = less taste.

For the full experience, make sure you get at least one of each: a chili-spaghetti plate (like the 6 way you are discussing), a bowl of chili by itself, and a cheese coney.

That said, when a newcomer wants to try Cincinnati style Chili for the first time, I always steer them to Camp Washington because a) it is among the best, and b) it is easily accessible from I-75 with plenty of parking, and c) it is open virtually 24-7, and d) they also offer double-deckers and goetta, the two other regional specialties of Cincinnati.

Brief change of subject: Price Hill Chili is a good place to eat, but I never get the chili - their problem (if you can call it that, and they won't as they are always packed) is that they now have a huge sit down facility and a huge menu full of good things. The chili has sufferred some from a lack of focus....ie it is just one of many things the make now. Still a good place to eat, just not a good chili parlor.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7890
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 09:45:03 (permalink)
quote:

Dixie's chili is decently good, with a bit more spice heat than the Brief change of subject: Price Hill Chili is a good place to eat, but I never get the chili - their problem (if you can call it that, and they won't as they are always packed) is that they now have a huge sit down facility and a huge menu full of good things. The chili has sufferred some from a lack of focus....ie it is just one of many things the make now. Still a good place to eat, just not a good chili parlor.

What I remembered about Price Hill is that the chili had a "dry grainy consistency" (similar to RI Style Hot Weiner Sauce) and a strange aftertaste. I went there based on reviews on the web that their chili was some of the best in Cincinnati, I left underwhelmed.
I do remember Dixie Chili being a little spicier, and that was probably what I liked about it
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 15:29:33 (permalink)
TJ-
Thanks for the tip about ordering the chili well drained at Dixie Chili. The spice doesn't bother my cousins or I, so I am really looking forward to trying it. Camp Washington Chili is always my first choice, but I have been there so many times, I want to try something different.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 15:41:26 (permalink)
It's cool. Enjoy.

The other place I encourage people to hit if they haven't already done so is Aglamesis Brothers in Oakley. A truly ancient family owned ice cream parlor. Better ice cream than Graeter's, in my estimation. It is only a mile off I-71 and you could drive there from the Dixie Chili is Newport in about 6-7 minutes.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 15:56:09 (permalink)
TJ-
Better than Graeter's! This I will have to see to believe!

We should have time, so maybe we will be able to get there, too. Thanks!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 18:06:14 (permalink)
I fly through the airport at Cincy very regular. I enjoy Gold Star at terminal B. I recoginize that they may not be the best but believe me, they suit me very well.

They have a very nice menu that is different than most aiport stuff. I noticed that they now serve burgers with their chili, different noodles with their chile and they are open for breakfast.

For those of you that travel, this is a neat option where you cannot get out and about.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18626
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 19:17:19 (permalink)
I want to thank everyone on this thread. I just finished a large four-way with onions from Skyline, and I got a few regular coneys just in case I can't make it to the Waffle House for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 19:20:23 (permalink)
quote:

It's cool. Enjoy.

The other place I encourage people to hit if they haven't already done so is Aglamesis Brothers in Oakley.

Off-topic~

FYI~
Aglamesis is sold by the pint at Hyde Park Kroger. It is not cheap {@$4 a pint}, but it is fabulous!! I get the chocolate raspberry chip whenever I'm at HP Kroger. Much better than Graeter's, IMHO.

OK~back to Cincy chili.
BillC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/21 19:22:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

This weekend I will be driving right through Cincy and I plan on stopping at a Dixie Chili in NKY. I love the typical 5-Way, but the idea of putting garlic on top really intrigues me. I don't expect the chili itself to be as good as I have had at Camp Washington Chili or Blue Ash, but it will be interesting to see how the garlic fits in.

I had the 6 way at Dixie 13 years ago. Never really wanted to order it again. Keep in mind this is chopped raw garlic that they use and the garic just over rides every other flavor except possibly the onion.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2007/11/22 04:29:41 (permalink)
BillC-
This is what I was expecting to hear. I do still plan on trying it though, for the experience. Thanks for the reply!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1